Talent, Technique, Or secret?

So this comes from the Force unleashed game a while back and is something I kicked around but never implimented in my home games.

It's basically a concept of advanced force powers, replicating what we have in the system to accurately reflect certain aspects of other, more complex force powers.

So...

Lightning Shield
Benefit: As a full round action you may activate this (talent/secret/tech).  When you do make a single UtF check and activate a use of force shield and Force storm (FUCG).  these powers are activated as though they are a single power. A force point spent on one affects both, and they may be maintained per the rules for force shield, with a maximum duration per force storm.  You must have a use of each power available for use in your force suite to activate this ability.  This ability counts as activating a power under the UtF skill.

So, is this a talent, a technique, or a secret?

Keep in mind that the talent could be generic alter, darkside, or PrC.  this gives a lot of flexibility in assigning a minimum level for this power.

Also, is the ability reasonable, or does it require some additional costing?  FP, -1 step condition track...

I would like to do a series of these, incorporating a lesser valued power with a mediocre power.

Other ideas include:
Concussive Thrust (Force blast/force thrust)
Concussive Blast (Force Slam/Repulse)
Telkinetic Debris (Ballistakinesis/Slow)

That's all I have so far, but you get the idea.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
I really like it. I'd probably go the talent route (I'm not sure about Dark Side but having a talent that basically gives you a DSP every time you use it under the Alter tree makes me uneasy), making both powers a prerequisite for taking the talent and also requiring a FP to be spent.
For some added flavor, you could make it a 2nd-tier talent with Dark Side Savant (JATM 16) as a prereq. 

For the other powers, I'd be careful of making powers/combos that step on one another's toes. This particular one I think is okay because of the cost (it requires a DS power to activate so +1 DSP and also should cost an FP to use), so it's not quite Force Technique level; it's more like the Move Massive Object talent from LECG, IMO. 

Overall, very cool and I think it could make for some interesting gameplay...that Standard action to maintain has always been a bummer for me, and this is like "well here's a bit of a damaging 'aura' for you while you're at it."
I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast. Winner of You Build the Character #27 - Cad Bane
I'd say make it a talent.

The Dark Side Fan Sourcebook by Fandom Comics did something similar:  the Force Maelstrom talent (Dark Side talent) right next to the Darth Sidious entry.  You need Force Storm, Hatred, and one talent from the Dark Side talent tree.  When activated, you expend Force Storm and Hatred to create a dark side tornado that gets bigger and does more damage the longer you maintain it.

I think the ability is failry reasonable, but you might try making a unique ability out of it that mirrors both powers, similar to what Force Maelstrom does.

I don't think an extra cost is needed, especially if you are trying to pair together powers that not many people will take to begin with.

And I definitely like this thread.  It reminds me of the feat combo thread a while back.
Winner of the You Make the... Contest #9: Jedi Padawans Winner of the You Build the Character#33:  EU Bounty Hunters Winner of the You Build the Character #37:  The Empire Strikes Back Winner of the "Ultimate Dream Builds #1: The Underworld" I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

Moose, as usual you bring tantalizing ideas to the table ! Laughing The combo ideas are really good, but I am going to go a different rout with my feed back and say......force regimen.

Word it so Once per day, once per encounter or once again when you take your second wind… the steps are initiated (or a good old for the 24 hour duration of this regimen...yadda yadda... your UTF determines the result 1/2/3/4 times).

I am interested in the notion of combos, but the Force Shield and Force storm bit gives me pause. Basically it would be a fluf thing, but if you had [Secret] Quicken Power and quickened Energy resistance, then activated Force Storm (since you need em both anyway, and a Force Pont) you would still have a move action remaining. Sure DR and SR are not exactly the same, but you could maintain Energy Resistance as a swift and still be pretty mobile.
   But energy resistance would not have the same perks as far as benefiting from talents that affect Telekinetic Powers or be useful against non-energy weapons and affects. But for a poor man james bond tatic...

If the regimen thing doesn’t feel right, it could be easiest to make it a house rule. Maybe add that talent prerequisite (~ Disciplined Strike or what ever talent you view as synergistically complimentary), and make it available to multiple players without added cost.

Frankly I love the idea of allowing players to pull off neat feats from games. books, and cinematics. Keep up the great work Brother, I steal so much material off you dude. You’re the Man!

Another fun idea (like your one house rule where you spend a move action to consider 1-2 to be a 3 on d6 for damage), would be to create a technique (improved surge) where you can attach a Force power that targets solely you to be linked to a dark side power… which open the proverbial hellraiser box for wicked combos….or not.

Lightning Shield
Benefit: As a full round action you may activate this (talent/secret/tech).  When you do make a single UtF check and activate a use of force shield and Force storm (FUCG).  these powers are activated as though they are a single power. A force point spent on one affects both, and they may be maintained per the rules for force shield, with a maximum duration per force storm.  You must have a use of each power available for use in your force suite to activate this ability.  This ability counts as activating a power under the UtF skill.

So, is this a talent, a technique, or a secret?

Keep in mind that the talent could be generic alter, darkside, or PrC.  this gives a lot of flexibility in assigning a minimum level for this power.

This is a very powerful effect, especially since Force Shield is already an awesome power. Not only does it give you up to SR 20, but it can be activated as a reaction, which is a big advantage. I think this should be at minimum a Force Technique.

I also find this combo power similar to (but much more powerful than) the Lightning Burst power. As awaypturwpn mentioned, you want to avoid stepping on another power’s toes, thus rendering that power useless.

Also, is the ability reasonable, or does it require some additional costing?  FP, -1 step condition track...

I would like to do a series of these, incorporating a lesser valued power with a mediocre power.

Other ideas include:
Concussive Thrust (Force blast/force thrust)

You could make this an Improved Force Blast technique, since Force Blast does not have an “Improved” technique.

Concussive Blast (Force Slam/Repulse)

This is similar to Improved Force Slam technique. What you could do is modify the Improved Force Slam technique and add:

“You may spend a FP to push a target back as per the Repulse power”

Telkinetic Debris (Ballistakinesis/Slow)

That's all I have so far, but you get the idea.

I like the idea of combining 2 low-powered Force powers to make a useful power. For example, Valor, Crucitorn, Cryokinesis, Force Thrust, Inertia, Lightning Burst, Malacia, Morichro, Plant Surge, Shatterpoint, Slow, and Stagger are powers many consider weak.

I hesitate to make strong powers such as Force Slam, Force Grip, Move Object, Force Shield even stronger. If you do, they should be for higher-level force-users.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Richter, I feel like we are looking at this from two different perspectives.

First, lightning shield in no way steps on lightning burst's toes any more than the FUCG force storm does, vis a vis lightning shield is a tandem activation of both force shield and force storm.

In fact, the point of my idea is that by taking a decent power and a sometimes subpar power and activating them in tandem you can create a more interesting effect.

for instance, concussive blast is similar to the force technique improved slam.  however, improved slam would have a 2 square range, not one, and would only require the expenditure of a sinlge use of force slam.

Concussive blast (which really should be concussive burst) would have a radius of one square, like repulse, but deal 4d6 damage in that radius, like a weaker improved force slam, and would require 2 powers, one activation each of force slam and repulse.

the same goes for the above combos. 

The ballistakinesis/slow combo I would find particularly fun, since ballistakinesis is a very par power edging on sub par, while slow is a decidedly sub par power.  combining the two makes for a greater effect without throwing balance out with the bathwater, and still requires more character resources than I would necisarily spend.  For that force wizard with 20 wis and 4-5 force trainings though, that could be a useful way to burn through powers.

I think you may be seeing things that aren't included in these.  Granted though, these are vague examples.  And I appreciate how these represent a fine line between talent and technique to be sure, hence why I wanted oppinions.  I'm guaging that you would be more on the technique side of the idea.  Food for thought.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
Sign In to post comments