Wrath of the Sphinx

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've a playset of Sphinx-Bone Wand's and Isochron Scepter's that I'm not really using, and thought I'd make a white deck out of it.

Looking to shorten the list of cards down from 44, before lands, and possibly look for other cards that could go in place.

Anywhom, here is the list: Updated!

White Spells:

Path to Exile x4
Wrath of God x2
Final Judgment x1
Rout x2
Day of Judgment x1
Land Tax x1
Disenchant x2
Pull from Eternity x4
Soul Snare x2
Enlightened Tutor x2
Dawn Charm x4

Colorless:
Bosium Stripx2
Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn
Sol Ring x1
Isochron Scepter x4
Sphinx-Bone Wand x2
Illuminated Folio x2
Venser's Journal x2
Maze of Ithx2

I've shortened the list due to what I had it planned out at first because of the tutors i didnt think I needed 4 bone wands.

As you can see, the deck at the moment is really just trying to clear the board and keep it cleared while restocking with elixir's and continualy casting with scepter's to pick everyone off with the Bone Wand.

I didn't really find a whole lot of draw power in white so I used the folio's, while expensive they are some consistent card draw.

The journal let's me keep the cards in hand from the folio and the Land Tax, and the Caged Sun is to help get the mana I need to continually cast with scepter's and wrath, after thinking it over they prolly won't be needed too much.

The Pull from Eternity is in there because recently there have been a lot of things such as Revoke Existence and Return to Dust going around in my playgroup and I'd rather not lose my only win-con, and also helps with people trying to destroy my scepters and getting rid of that spell for good.

8 wrath effects are prolly a bit much, and will prolly cut 1 of each judgment.

Sorry for the rant, but as always I greatly accept feedback. =)
I understand that you plan on Wrathing early and often, but I can't help but feel a little bit of board presence would do you some good, and white is the king of instant/sorcery board position.  Have you considered Martial Coup (on theme with all of the Wrathing that you plan on doing), Conqueror's Pledge or White Sun's Zenith?  There are also cheaper ones (typically netting you 2 tokens), although with your accelerants you might not need them as much.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

How important are those mass enchantment destruction spells to your gameplan? When I see decks that Wrath the board every 2nd turn, I instanly think of Luminarch Ascension. It pretty much auto activates if you play it early OR Wrath, and it sticks around to keep churning out tokens. That way you're not forced to Wrath again immediately should a few people start attacking you.

I have no idea how fast this deck is, but I'm guessing that it's slow as ****, so a Bosium Strip or two seems like it would help out a lot. Not only does it give you access to 16 Wraths at times, but it pairs well with Pull from Eternity. Even if people don't exile your ****, you can still make very good use of the card.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOA. I just read that we get to suggest cuts! In the great words of Homer J. Simpson; "Now it's time the easiest part of a coach's job. The cuts." Obvious my vote will go to mas enchamtnet removal, but that's mostly because I want to add some more in heh. Path to Exile seems very bad, I much prefer Soul Snare. People can see the card, so you typically don't have to use it for a very long time. I'm also not a fan of the whole Dawn Charm thing, even though it does pair fairly well with your Scepter. I still wouldn't run 4. Caged Sun and Venser's Journal both seem very slow and unnecessary. They don't don't seem to bring a lot to the deck. I also don't se the point in running more than 1 Elixir. It gives you the "infinite" gas that you're looking for without creating situations where you draw too many dead cards.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
@Cathaldus: I have a playset of White Sun's Zenith, but with the wrath effects I just don't see them being all that great.

@Tich: Luminarch Ascension is a card I thought about for a while. Like you most of my games are 8+ people most of the time, but there are a lot of Fracturing Gust's, Krosan Grip's, ect. that people will just use all willy-nilly should something like Luminarch come out.

I really love the idea of Bosium Strip just letting me cast everything over and over with Pull from Eternity, so many idea's just came flooding to my mind with what I could do with that card.

The mass enchantment removal could probably go considering everyone else is probably running it anyways. I do understand why you like Soul Snare and there are a couple in, but I think a path on a scepter can be just as much a consistant deterant. Dawn Charm is there for the Comet Storm's, and other things that people like to target me with, along with being a fog.

The Caged Sun is most likely not going to be in the final version of this deck. The Venser's Journal, I haven't done any testing with but it's life gain and lets me hold onto cards from Land Tax and Illuminated Folio, I like holding onto my cards, until I feel that I need to use them, and why not gain a few life out of it?

I'll probably cut both Elixir's for an Emrakul.
Ah fair enough. I've always said that if a card is so good that it "just dies" then the reality is that it's horrible. I just wish that we had a better way to go about killing 7+ other players or whatever. Ward gets there, but it dosn't get there quickly heh. The Strip is definitely a keeper. You really can't go wrong with having access to 1 or 2 of these badboys. I've always said that if you're going to tap out to "do nothing" then it's best to do it early before people can really punish you. Even though Strip isn't an immediate impact card, it still hits fast enough that you're not going to die when you tap out to play it. I like that. As far as Dawn Charm goes, I'm used to people who treat the card as Holy Day as nothing else. Would something like Leyline of Sanctity/Ivory Mask/Imperial Mask be better maybe? In terms of the Journal, I'm just worried that it would be too slow. Still, if we're talking about massive grind sessions of 8+ players, then it's probably worthwhile. I'm normally more a Reliquary Tower guy since I like it when my lands can act as spells to free up deckslots. I am bit surprised to hear that people target Ascension but not Scepter though. Normally the card is destroyed before the player has even chosen what card he wants to exile around here lol. Anyways, I still think that the cards that I've listed are the weaker parts of your deck. You do have to cut something after all. I like big, expensive, durdle spells as much as the next guy, but the truth is that they typically don't add much value to your deck.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies

The luminarch is the reason people in my playgroup are running with a couple Fracturing Gust type of cards in their deck, and it has never really gone off since. People in my group don't seem to care if something like Dawn Charm, Pull from Eternity, Path to Exile go on a scepter, but if Counterspell is it then people will flip out.

I'll probably trade out 2 Dawn Charm's for 2 leyline's if I manage to get a hold of them, I've never seena store with any in stock and people I play with won't trade them to me. Also, I'll probably have a playset Orim's Chant to put in tomorrow, which will replace Dawn Charm.
If not, what are your thoughts on Chrome Mox in this deck, for speed?

I dislike Chrome Mox for the purposes of speed since this really isn't a fast deck. Even though I'm the kind of guy who owns a set of Chrome Moxen, Sol Ring, Mana Vault, etc. I won't play them in my durdly Control decks (ok Sol Ring I will but not the others) simply because it's not worth the damage/card disadvantage when your deck can't convert that burst of speed into a win. Pitching a card hurts.

Now, that being said, let's talk about 1 card: Land Tax. The most retarded multiplayer opener of all time is still "Mox Diamond, Land Tax, go." I mean, what does the table do, never play a land lol? What I will say is that I have 0 experience with playing Chrome Mox instead. The nice thing about Mox Diamond is that sure, you discard lands, but you're going to get infinity of them anyways. You will easily be able to play every Mox Diamond that you draw for that reason. Chrome Mox doesn't work like that. Let's be clear, "Chrome Mox, Land Tax, go" is still a stupidly powerful turn 1 play, but I don't know if it's worthwhile to add a bunch of Moxen that force you to discard spells. Moreover, this deck only has 1 Land Tax, so we don't exactly want to build around it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. We're not fast and we don't have extra spells to pitch early on (I don't think anyways). That's my general assessment.
So I ran the deck tonight and won 2/4 games it played in.

The list I ran with (still waiting on cards to arrive):

Instant/Sorcery:
Wrath of Godx2
Day of Judgmentx1
Final Judgmentx1
Routx2
Dawn Charmx2 Really was used for the Holy Day effect, but really saved myself with it while building up to wrath.
Path to Exilex2
Pull From Eternityx4 Did not have the Bosium Strip's, and felt like a dead card I traded away with on Scroll Rack most of the time. Is fun though if a scepter is targeted by Blatant Thievery though. ^^
Armageddonx1 I felt like this was a decent filler card to help deal with the players running Affinity, Man-Lands, etc.
Orim's Chantx2 Got them, but didnt really get to use them a whole lot due to a Pithing Needle on Isochron Scepter =/
Enlightened Tutorx2 Amazing card, will try to use it to get Scroll Rack and Land Tax for insane deck manipulation.

Enchantments:
Land Taxx1 Worked amazingly well, never really played/seen it played a whole lot. I pitched a lot of lands but it was never a problem.
Soul Snarex2 Stood there most of the time, doing it's job, next to Path to Exile and Dawn Charm on scepter's.

Artifacts:
Scroll Rackx1 Traded for it, and was amazed with the synergy of it and Land Tax
Isochron Scepterx4
Sphinx-Bone Wandx2
Illuminated Foliox2
Elixir of Immortalityx1 A filler card I threw in for a little bit of life gain. Maybe should've used Angel's Feather.
Sol Ringx1
Caged Sunx2 Another filler card until I get what I've ordered. It worked out a lot more efficiently then I thought with being able to cast multiple spells and use multiple scepter's to help build up counters on the Sphinx-Bone Wand's

Creature's:
Emrakul, The Aeons Tornx1 Never drew it, never got milled.

Lands:
Maze of Ithx2
Flagstones of Trokairx1 Another card that was in the trade and figured that it was better then a plains in this deck.
Plainsx21

Card's I wish I put in( that I currently have):

Tempest of Lightx1
I think if I do put one in, it will only be one. Leyline of Sanctity+Greater Auramancy and other shenanigans kind of screwed me over in a game, and having it for some other troublesome enchantments Rhystic Study, infinite combo's with Pyromancer Ascension, etc. couldn't hurt myself a great deal.

Might do well with some resilient white creatures that can lives through Wraths.
Maybe a job for persist?
Twilight Shepherd? Heartmender?
You could even afford to run the Finks next to them for some decent lifegain.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I am bumping this to ask why no clockspinning in combination with the sphinx-bone wand?

Wouldn't you be able to cut a lot of other things if this was the essential combo?
I am bumping this to ask why no clockspinning in combination with the sphinx-bone wand?

Wouldn't you be able to cut a lot of other things if this was the essential combo?

I'd prefer keeping it mono-white, personally.
It would, imo, be a lot easier for it to be built as a blue deck. Rhystic Study + Scroll Rack will pretty much let me access my whole deck whenever I please.
 Throw in Artifact lands, Unwinding Clock, and Tolarian Academy and I could cast Clockspinning every turn and just win.
 Using Evacuation and Sunder + Propaganda with a few Counterspell's with Isochron Scepter to make sure nothing gets through.