Tournament report: Friday night magic Dallas - 2nd place

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I ran tempered steel again, trying for a 3rd win in a row. This report will be brief:

Round 1 - U/W illusions
I won game 1 at a decent speed, nothing special. Illusions gets shut down if they have no titans to copy with phantasmal image. Game 2 i sided in 4 gutshots, and started with 2 in my hand. His bear and delver got pinged, and I ran away with the game

Round 2 - Mono Red
I won game 1 by the skin of my teeth, life totals were like 2 to 0. The second game, I was ready. I sided in 3 gut shots and some celestial purges and dragon's claws. Aw yeah, dragons claw. I let his turn 1 lavamancer go, but when he dropped the noble on turn 2, I gutshotted it and hue hue'd. He spent the entire game pinging  my army, but some origin spellbombs let me keep my hand kinda full, and he scooped when i played tempered with a few dorks out and his hand was empty. F--k mono red!!!

Round 3 - Geist blade U/W
This game made me scared for finals, because I got perfect draws. Never in my life have I gotten draws like this. I could not have stacked my deck any better. I'm talkin' turn 1 inkmoth, signal pest, mox opal, memnite, glint hawk, turn 2 tempered steel. It was ilke that for both games. Luckily, I knew this player and I knew he ran 0 blue control, so i could play my tempered steels without any fear.

Round 4 finals - wolf run
Damn wolf run. Damn it to hell. He had perfect draws, i had trash draws. I kept a hand that I figured I'd draw into, sadly I ended up with 3 glint hawks in my hand, and the only artiface I could bounce was vault skirge for 2 hp a pop. Wolf run is a stupid deck played by people with no imaginations. Unlike tempered steel, of course...hue hue hue

please don't remove this thread because i said F--k. I clearly meant funk. cheers.
I usually have a fairly good matchup against TS with my U/W Illusions deck. Post-board makes it even more managable. Missteps and O-Rings along with Gut Shots and Leaks dominate the matchup for me, and force them into top deck really quickly. I never find myself needing to copy a titan with image, I copy my own lord or flipped delver.  Dragon's Claws in your board? That sounds hilarious. A lot less unfair than the Kor Firewalkers of the past at any rate. My friend usually has a lot of trouble against TS as RDW. And wow, that round 3 kind of set you up for failure in round four. :P I mull aggressively when I pilot TS though, you can't give Wolf Run any quarter in that matchup.

And obviously the most creative deck is mercenaries man. Obviously.

I recently went to FNM for the first time in months, won 5-0 with U/W Illusions. Hoping to get on a roll as well.
I'm new to the forums, and would really appreciate help on any of my deck lists, as those who live near me and play Magic is a small pool to draw from. I play EDH and Standard, and enjoy both Sealed and Draft in Limited. Wort EDH In standard I play U/w Delver/Illusions.
I ran tempered steel again, trying for a 3rd win in a row. This report will be brief:

Round 1 - U/W illusions
I won game 1 at a decent speed, nothing special. Illusions gets shut down if they have no titans to copy with phantasmal image. Game 2 i sided in 4 gutshots, and started with 2 in my hand. His bear and delver got pinged, and I ran away with the game

Round 2 - Mono Red
I won game 1 by the skin of my teeth, life totals were like 2 to 0. The second game, I was ready. I sided in 3 gut shots and some celestial purges and dragon's claws. Aw yeah, dragons claw. I let his turn 1 lavamancer go, but when he dropped the noble on turn 2, I gutshotted it and hue hue'd. He spent the entire game pinging  my army, but some origin spellbombs let me keep my hand kinda full, and he scooped when i played tempered with a few dorks out and his hand was empty. F--k mono red!!!

Round 3 - Geist blade U/W
This game made me scared for finals, because I got perfect draws. Never in my life have I gotten draws like this. I could not have stacked my deck any better. I'm talkin' turn 1 inkmoth, signal pest, mox opal, memnite, glint hawk, turn 2 tempered steel. It was ilke that for both games. Luckily, I knew this player and I knew he ran 0 blue control, so i could play my tempered steels without any fear.

Round 4 finals - wolf run
Damn wolf run. Damn it to hell. He had perfect draws, i had trash draws. I kept a hand that I figured I'd draw into, sadly I ended up with 3 glint hawks in my hand, and the only artiface I could bounce was vault skirge for 2 hp a pop. Wolf run is a stupid deck played by people with no imaginations. Unlike tempered steel, of course...hue hue hue

please don't remove this thread because i said F--k. I clearly meant funk. cheers.

After winning two weeks in a row placing second in the third week is still very very good. One of my best streaks was during TSP block limited. I placed 1st four weeks in a row, and then placed second. After that I jumped around, always top 4 generally, but did not make such a run again for a bit. Just keep trucking.

EDIT: Also to avoid problems, if your of sound mind to censor your word, and to ask for it not to be removed. It might be a good idea just to not post it in the first place, if you think it might cause problems :D
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
haha thanks for the tip, but i said it to prove a point. also, the illusion decks i saw had no mental missteps. nobody runs that card at my shop, even though it's sick.
Sign In to post comments