Silver Dragon PC

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings everyone. I am working on a simple background for my Silver Dragon PC that I plan on including in our groups next campaign (10th level) and would like to see what everyone thought of it and if it is believable and non-contradictory.

Background
Pharos is a Juvenile Silver Dragon of Lawful Good alignment and has now recently past his fortieth year. Older silver’s pass him off as another youthful (to a dragon) idealist, but Pharos sees himself as something more akin to a Paladin (In relation to hunting down evil and aiding good). He hates evil creatures (particularly demons and devils) and despises evil dragons. Those whom worship evil deities also earn his resentment and righteous fury.

Though many of his scales are now chipped and scared Pharos bears them proudly and views them as trophies for his many hard fought victories against countless evil foes.

While he is grim and relentless in the pursuit of evil, Pharos is generally lighthearted and cheerful and laughs aloud when deeply amused.

Habits

Because of his mobile lifestyle Pharos favors magical containers that hold more that their size would indicate i.e like bags of holding, handy haversacks, portable holes and the like. These items allow Pharos to carry his more valuable treasures with him.

Though lawful and good, Pharos is not one to care for hierarchies and formal authority. He believes that living a moral life involves doing good deeds and taking no actions that bring undeserved harm to other beings.

Pharos enjoys the company of good-aligned humans and other humanoids. Whilst in their company, Pharos usually assumes a humanoid form, both as a practical matter and to keep the humanoids at ease.

He is a fairly avid collector of items with magical properties, specifically those that aid his cause against evil, and he will commonly adorn himself with them.

What do you think?
One thing I think is that this sounds like a prior-edition character. Or heavily houseruled. Because there is no provision in 4E for a dragon PC. Aside from refluffing a Changeling (for the shapeshifting) or Dragonborn (for a breath weapon).

(Not that I would object to it being houseruled. Or refluffed. But for any rule-related comments we would have to know what rules apply.)

Aside from that, it sounds like an interesting concept.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
How about neutral good as his alignment? It might fit better -- he's still against evil and all that, but neutral good might better explain his non-subordinate nature towards authority.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

How about neutral good as his alignment? It might fit better -- he's still against evil and all that, but neutral good might better explain his non-subordinate nature towards authority.

There's no such thing as neutral good.  That would be 'Good'.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

I'm actually leaning towards neutral good as I feel it would fit better with his overall outlook, i.e values personal freedom but also respects the need for laws.
Pharos, you still haven't told us what rules apply.

Since you're posting in a 4E forum, I'm going to assume standard 4E rules as written.

So:

No, you CANNOT be Neutral Good. That's because there's no such thing. There is also no such thing as Neutral.  You can be Good, or Unaligned...

There is absolutely zero provision for being a dragon. So no, mechanically, you can't. You can refluff a Dragonborn, to have a dragon-like breath weapon that you can use once an encounter; but aside from that, mechanically you aren't that much difference from a human, you can't fly, you can't shapeshift, you don't get any dragon abilities at all. Or you can refluff a Changeling, to have the shapeshifting; but it's between human-size humanoid forms, so you have a choice of looking like a human or looking like a cross between a humanoid and a dragon - and you can't fly, and don't get the breath weapon, and don't get any dragon abilities at all. 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

Since you're posting in a 4E forum, I'm going to assume standard 4E rules as written.

So:

No, you CANNOT be Neutral Good. That's because there's no such thing. There is also no such thing as Neutral.  You can be Good, or Unaligned...

There is absolutely zero provision for being a dragon. So no, mechanically, you can't. You can refluff a Dragonborn, to have a dragon-like breath weapon that you can use once an encounter; but aside from that, mechanically you aren't that much difference from a human, you can't fly, you can't shapeshift, you don't get any dragon abilities at all. Or you can refluff a Changeling, to have the shapeshifting; but it's between human-size humanoid forms, so you have a choice of looking like a human or looking like a cross between a humanoid and a dragon - and you can't fly, and don't get the breath weapon, and don't get any dragon abilities at all. 

Does alignment really matter quite that much that you just CANNOT be neutral good? It's not hurting the game, but it could help the players (RP and etc.).

Also, you can easily just straight-up create a dragon race.

Sorry... I have a thing against restricting players just because a certain thing doesn't exist in a rulebook somewhere.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

Does alignment really matter quite that much that you just CANNOT be neutral good?

Well, the 4E alignment system is really lame, but one of the few good things about it is that it doesn't matter.

But I said I was assuming 4e rules straight up. And doing this specifically because Pharos hasn't told us what rules apply.

Not 4E rules straight up.

If Pharos wants to tell us he's playing some other edition and get directed to the Previous editions forums, or maybe hop over to the Homebrew forum and ask about a dragon race in 4E... then other rules would apply.
Does alignment really matter quite that much that you just CANNOT be neutral good?

Well, the 4E alignment system is really lame, but one of the few good things about it is that it doesn't matter.

But I said I was assuming 4e rules straight up. And doing this specifically because Pharos hasn't told us what rules apply.

Not 4E rules straight up.

If Pharos wants to tell us he's playing some other edition and get directed to the Previous editions forums, or maybe hop over to the Homebrew forum and ask about a dragon race in 4E... then other rules would apply.

Ah. Alright, I see.

So:

Well our group has been stuck in 3.5 for a while now and have just started to migrate over to 4th ed. I'm not really experienced with the mechanics of 4th ed but if this is the case I might try using a dragonborn paladin-esque type instead.
Of course he can be Neutral Good, if that's what he wants.  Sure, 4E only "allows" you to be "Good", or "Neutral", or whatever, but if he envisions his character as Neutral Good, or Lawful Good, or Chaotic Neutral, or whatever, what's stopping him?  In 3.x, character alignment played a much bigger role in the game from a crunch standpoint: lots of spells, classes, items, etc dealt with alignent in a very mechanical way.  In 4E, with some exceptions, alignment is much more of an abstraction.