Eldrazi deck. Works GREAT... when it works. Needs consistancy

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is an eldrazi deck of mine that works great as long as I get the cloudposts and start ramping up the mana. If I don't then it does nothing and dies a quick death. I laready have 4 [expedition map[/c]s but not sure what else to do to increase chance of drawing a cloudpost. I've just recently thought about throwing in 4 living wishes to grab more copies of cloudpost (non-sanctioned even so I will have cloudposts that I own outside the game as well as 4 in the deck.). To make room for the 4 living wishes I pulled 2 Spell Burst and 2 sky diamonds. I need to keep the deck legacy format and I'd like to avoid colored permanents so I don't water down the usefulness of my all is dusts. Any suggestions?

// Lands
 4 [MR] Cloudpost
 2 [AN] Diamond Valley
 4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
 1 [M12] Island (3)
 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
 4 [FUT] Tolaria West
 4 [u] Tropical Island
 4 [TSP] Vesuva

// Creatures
 1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
 2 [ROE] It That Betrays
 2 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
 1 [DS] Memnarch
 2 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

// Spells
 3 [ROE] All Is Dust
 4 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
 1 [ZEN] Eternity Vessel
 4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
 2 [u] Forcefield
 2 [NPH] Karn Liberated
 4 [JU] Living Wish
 1 [US] Mishra's Helix
 1 [IN] Planar Portal
 2 [TSP] Spell Burst
 3 [FD] Staff of Domination
 1 [DS] Thunderstaff

You can't have 4 copies of a card in your deck and Living Wish for a 5th or whatever. That's staright up cheating. Wishes may be able to grab any card from your collection, but they don't allow you to break the "maximum of 4 copies of non-basic land cards" rule. Since you don't want to play 3 copies of each Post in your deck, your best bet is to nix the Wishes. They've never been good in Post decks really.

This deck is missing the 1x Eye of Ugin which 100% essential and completely non-negotiable. Your deck becomes 1000x better with it and can't function properly without it. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't put it in. Planar Portal is horrible, it's not a valid substitute. You also need at least 2 Emrakuls so that you can go infinite + play around some niche removal spells like Soul Snare that could otherwise "get you." It's mostly to go infinite though.

I wouldn't play Diamond Valley. By the time you get to your big guns, the game should be locked up. Until then it's just a land that doesn't tap for mana. You can't be wasting land drops doing **** like that. Each one is critical in this style of deck.

You're trying to get way too cute with this deck. M.Helix, Spell Burst (blue period), Memnarch, Staff of Domination, Kozilek, It That Betrays, Eternity Vessel, Karn, none of these cards are good at all. What this deck is supposed to do is survive until it can ramp enough mana to tutor for an Emrakul every turn with Eye of Ugin. Every card that I just listed is some overcosted durdle that doesn't even come close to being as good as just chaining Emmys. Your deck isn't work (currently) because you have all these expensive + terrible cards that don't bring anything to the deck (they actively detract from it in fact). What you really need is more accel and protection in these slots. Crop Rotation, Reap and Sow, Scapeshift, Primeval Titan and Sylvan Scrying are all cards that can be grabbing your Posts. Your deck needs way more cards like these and way less overcosted do-nothings. If you're looking for defense, one popular method is to use 4x Overgrown Battlement and 4x Vine Trellis. They can ramp you soem of the time and hopefully protect you the rest of the time. Your other option for defense is basically splashing Red for cards like Firespout and Earthquake. Firespout is the standard since it's usually fairly easy on the mana (unlike say Slagstorm) and it can also nail fliers. Still, your best bet is prolly to keep it Green and hope that walls keep you alive.

My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
I would consider running urza's lands, though that just makes even more land you want to be fishing out, as well as Eldrazi Temple, and keeping the deck purely colourless.

Urza's Tower
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Mine

Also I would run some of the cheaper eldrazi, Ulamog's Crusher alone can get the job done. Explorer's scope helps to get the land out faster.
The Tron lands don't play well with Posts at all. You don't get any prizes for having 2 Posts and 2 Tron lands in play after all. You always put yourself in awkward situations where you tutor for one then draw the other, and this deck simply can't function like that. Tron is also much weaker than Post since it typically provides much less mana, and you can't use things like Glimmerpost to keep you alive long enough to win.

Explorer's Scope seems pretty horrible in a deck with nothing but 7+ CMC spells. By the time it would "ramp" him he would alrady have the mana that he needs. Crusher is also very bad. It's slightly cheaper than other Eldrazi but infinitely worse. He doesn't have a useful CIP effect, he doesn't shuffle himself back in the deck to be Eye of Ugin'd back out, and he can't be used defensively if needed. He's also very vulnerable to removal, something that can't be said about Emmy and Ully. It's another another big, expensive, "do-nothing" spell. It doesn't ramp him, it doesn't protect him, and it doesn't support his endgame goal of chaining Emrakuls/real Eldrazi until he wins. It has the same issues that most of the big spells in his current deck do in that respect.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Tich,

You normally give me very good advise, which I appreciate. So, don't take it the wrong way but I'm going to disagree with you here on several points.

You can't have 4 copies of a card in your deck and Living Wish for a 5th or whatever. That's staright up cheating. Wishes may be able to grab any card from your collection, but they don't allow you to break the "maximum of 4 copies of non-basic land cards" rule.

It's my understanding that the "4 of rule" means 4 "in your deck". In a non-tournament setting Wish can bring in any card you own from outside the game. At least, that is what the gathering ruling states.

[qoute]
This deck is missing the 1x Eye of Ugin which 100% essential and completely non-negotiable. Your deck becomes 1000x better with it and can't function properly without it. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't put it in. Planar Portal is horrible, it's not a valid substitute.

I used  Eye of Ugin in the first iteration of this deck. It was good but the 2 cc reduction didn't seem to make much difference. I either had tons of mana or not even close. The Planar Portal gives a better search capability and costs 1 less.

You also need at least 2 Emrakuls so that you can go infinite + play around some niche removal spells like Soul Snare that could otherwise "get you." It's mostly to go infinite though.

I wouldn't play Diamond Valley. By the time you get to your big guns, the game should be locked up. Until then it's just a land that doesn't tap for mana. You can't be wasting land drops doing **** like that. Each one is critical in this style of deck.

The diamond valley allows me to go infinate with Emmy, if I really needed to. It also keeps my big fatties from being swords to plowshared out of the game. I've also used them for massive life gain when needed. Its true that the drawback of no mana production hurts but I think it is worth it.

You're trying to get way too cute with this deck. M.Helix, Spell Burst (blue period), Memnarch, Staff of Domination, Kozilek, It That Betrays, Eternity Vessel, Karn, none of these cards are good at all.

Staff of Domination is easily my best non-post, non-eldrazi in the deck. It allows card draw when I have lots of mana and are waiting for a fattie to arrive. It taps potential attacks (good in eldrazi vs eldrazi matchups) and it gais life (good vs occasional burn). Eternity Vessel in multiplayer basically says "don't even bother wasting your attack on this guy". It That Betrays when played right before all is dust cat net me tons of permanents in a multiplayer setting (and usually wins right after that. Some of the others you mention could go I suppose but they have all seen their uses.

What this deck is supposed to do is survive until it can ramp enough mana to tutor for an Emrakul every turn with Eye of Ugin. Every card that I just listed is some overcosted durdle that doesn't even come close to being as good as just chaining Emmys. Your deck isn't work (currently) because you have all these expensive + terrible cards that don't bring anything to the deck (they actively detract from it in fact). What you really need is more accel and protection in these slots. Crop Rotation, Reap and Sow, Scapeshift, Primeval Titan and Sylvan Scrying are all cards that can be grabbing your Posts. Your deck needs way more cards like these and way less overcosted do-nothings. If you're looking for defense, one popular method is to use 4x Overgrown Battlement and 4x Vine Trellis. They can ramp you soem of the time and hopefully protect you the rest of the time. Your other option for defense is basically splashing Red for cards like Firespout and Earthquake. Firespout is the standard since it's usually fairly easy on the mana (unlike say Slagstorm) and it can also nail fliers. Still, your best bet is prolly to keep it Green and hope that walls keep you alive.

I'll look in to some of those green cards to fetch land if my play group interprets the 4 of rule the way you do.

Well, I'm willing to ignore to the Wish issue for now. I'm asking about that one on the Q&A forums to see if there's any hard rulings. I could be wrong, but that's something that I've been told by a number of high-level players. Still, it's possible that we're mistaken.

EDIT: Well, apparantly people are siding with you, so I retract my statement about Living Wish. Seems odd, I'm wondering why Wishes aren't auto-includes in formats like EDH and whatnot. Living Wish seems like it would easily be in top 5 best Green cards since it's like running 2 Primeval Titans in your deck.

As far as everything else goes, to each his own. You have no way to tutor for Planar Portal and so the odds of you seeing it are low as Hell. EoU is fantastic because it not only tutors, but the deck should have a whack of land fetchers that can grab it. Lands are also typically much harder to destroy than other permanents since most playgroups frown upon land destruction in casual formats. In terms of your big, expensive spells, I don't really have anything else to add. You asked why you had an inconsistent deck that got stomped early. I explained to you why that is. If you still want to keep It that Betrays in the deck so you can sometimes All is Dust for fun, I can't stop you. Still, I don't know what you're expecting to hear. You want to cram every expensive spell into this deck and make absolutely no effort to ramp any of it out. That's why it's inconsistent and slow. The way to make it consistent and fast it to take out all of the expensive garbage, add some good defense and ramp, and consistently fire out Emrakul. That's how you make this deck strong. You can't just keep all the "fat" in and somehow make this deck better. It's not going to happen. If nothing else you should at least try doing things my way and see how it pans out. It's not like a few ramps spells and walls are going to break your bank or anything. I've played against decks like these 100 times, and I know what it takes for them to win/what you can do to beat them.
If nothing else you should at least try doing things my way and see how it pans out. It's not like a few ramps spells and walls are going to break your bank or anything. I've played against decks like these 100 times, and I know what it takes for them to win/what you can do to beat them.

OK, I will add in EoU. I used to run 4 myr retrievers to grab used expedition maps. Maybe I will put those back in. Is there any other artifact similar to expedition map that can be used to search for cloudposts?
The Retriever plan seems pretty loose. What happens when you don't draw a Map? You're stuck with 4 dead cards in your deck. Why not just run more land fetchers?

No, there aren't any other cheap artifacts that can tutor for any land that I know of.
OK, I'm going with hte land fetchers. I dumpted the two remaining Spell Bursts, as well as The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale and one Diamond Valley.  I figure I can wish for those speciality lands if need be. I think I will keep Tolaria West since it can fetch land and I only need one of them in play to fetch if I have a Candelabra of Tawnos out. They don't do anything else for me though but I just don't know what lands I'd put in if I pulled them.

Here is the current decklist.

// Lands
 4 [MR] Cloudpost
 1 [AN] Diamond Valley
 1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
 4 [ZEN] Forest
 4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
 4 [FUT] Tolaria West
 4 [TSP] Vesuva

// Creatures
 2 [ROE] It That Betrays
 1 [DS] Memnarch

// Spells
 3 [ROE] All Is Dust
 1 [ZEN] Eternity Vessel
 4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
 2 [u] Forcefield
 2 [NPH] Karn Liberated
 4 [JU] Living Wish
 1 [US] Mishra's Helix
 1 [IN] Planar Portal
 4 [MR] Sylvan Scrying
 1 [DS] Thunderstaff

More Forests, less Wests. I typically see decks with 10 Forests, 12 posts and 1 Eye as their standard mana base. Do not include some convoluted combo that involves getting a West and  Tawnos out just so that you can use future Wests to tutor. Ideally you're supposed to be playing big cards on like turns 6 and 7 and whatnot. You really don't have time for that kind of ****.

Deck still has 0 early game defense, I'm assuming that's not an actual concern for it? Again, I typically see these decks with a full 8 walls (4x Overgrown Battlement and 4x Vine Trellis) to help keep them alive until they get going. Battlement with multiple walls out is also insane ramp, so it accomplishes many functions. And like, keep in kind that I don't consider Forcefield to be early defense. These decks do not have mana to spare while they're ramping up, and you do not want to tap out out on your 3rd turn and not ramp yourself at all. That's why Overgrown Battlement gets a slight nod. It's defense (not amazing defense, but still defense) but more importantly you're still ramping even if you're tapping out for it on your 2nd turn. Maybe it doesn't matter for you, maybe it does. I can't know.

I still don't know why this deck has 2 Kozileks and Ulamogs, but only 1 Emrakul. What are you basing these numbers off of? When are you ever going to tutor for Kozilek? Why would you ever need 2 of an Eldrazi that isn't Emrakul? I can see the importance of having access to Ulamog to deal with Moat like effects, but Kozilek doesn't really bring anything to the table. Hardcasting Emmy to take extra turns is typically your go-to, you don't have much incentive to simply draw cards and give people free reign to handle your big dude with no protection.

And, as always, I'll never back down on my stance that most of your fat is completely unneeded. If you wanted to keep your Staff and your E.Vessel, whatever. Be creative. Still, cards like Memnarch, Karn, It That Betrays and Mishra's Helix just really strike me as terrible. By the time they're useful you could already be doing stupid things with more broken cards. Yeah, I'm just repeating myself for a 3rd time, but I feel really strongly about it so whatever. Getting to your end-game is much more important than having the most over-the-top, win-more, gratuitously violent end-game of all time. You don't need any of those cards to win, and they don't help get you to where you need to be.
OK Tich. I value your advice and appreciate your effort so I'm going to make up a deck following your advice. It won't be ready in time for tonight's game but I'll use it next week.
One of the things I liked about my eldrazi deck was that it didn't use green to ramp like almost every other eldrazi deck out there did. It was completely colorless. Since then I've added a bit a blue and now a bit of green so I guess I might as well go all in and do the green ramp thing like everybody else.

Hmm.... Now I think I need to pull all is dust  out since it would hose my walls.

// Lands
 4 [MR] Cloudpost
 1 [AN] Diamond Valley
 1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
 8 [ZEN] Forest
 4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
 4 [TSP] Vesuva

// Creatures
 3 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
 4 [ROE] Overgrown Battlement
 3 [8E] Vine Trellis

// Spells
 3 [ROE] All Is Dust
 4 [UL] Crop Rotation
 4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
 4 [JU] Living Wish
 4 [MR] Sylvan Scrying

Like I said, if nothing else you should at least try it out for a game or two. If you don't like it, then you don't have to use it, and you're only out like a couple of bucks. I'm pretty sure that every card that I want you to use is like a common and costs maybe 25 cents. I've still always seen these dcks use either Scapeshift or Primeval Titan, but I'm thinking that you should be fine without them (especially since you have Wishes and Tawnoses). Scapeshift is much more important than Primetime anyways, but it definitely doesn't need either. Still, this is how the deck is meant to be played. Everyone plays Green ramp spells for a reason lol. They work. Trust me, all of these land searchers make getting your Posts + Eye a breeze, and the game becomes fairly academic from there.

All is Dust isn't horrible even if you do use walls. Sometimes you just need to nuke the world to make way for the Eldrazi overlords. It's by far the least offending "fatty" in your deck and there's many valid arguments to run it in my mind. There's a reason why I never bitched about it. By the time you want to cast it your walls should have run their course and their services shouldn't be required. It's not the end of the world if you lose them. It's also tutorable from the Eye, which isn't irrelevant.

Oh, and one last thing, you should really goldfish the deck bit a before pulling it out. 8 Forests seem, especially if you have the full 4 Rotations. It's not exactly something that you'll want to tutor for, but you do always need a way to produce Green. The walls are fantastic at that, but you still need that first Forest to get them into play. I'd be sure to shuffle up the deck and see how she runs with your current base. You may still need to make a tweak or two.
I have a friend in my playgroup that runs an eldrazi deck that seems to go off pretty fast and some of our players either just dont notice or care. I don't know the full decklist but it runs Mana Echoes and Spawnsire of Ulamog to generate infinite mana and put all of his Eldrazi cards into play and cast All is Dust with It that Betrays. Along the way he uses the little eldrazi cards that put tokens into play along w/ Awakening Zone to help ramp up. It doesnt look like what you're trying to do, but I figured i'd throw the idea out there.
The problem I have with Eldrazi (and believe me I've playtested EVERY mana-generating scheme I can think of) is that they really aren't that effective as a tribe unless you're doing dirty tricks like going infinite with Emrakul, or something like that.  Really expensive, and even the vaunted posts combo is only effective maybe 33% of the time.  Not real consistent.  So I'm with alot of what Tich says here.

Probably the most effective thing I've seen is the smaller Eldrazi drones, and Mana Echoes mentioned by Fonthiel.  Infinite mana is certainly powerful if you have the spawnsire out.  Another great combo for crowd control is playing the smaller eldrazi drones, Awakening Zone, and Grave Pact.  All of the Eldrazi drones are your killers, and the spawn are simply there to keep everyone else deflated.  The problem: sweepers mean that you will likely not get that kill with essentially nothing but a weak mob deck.  And that's the problem.  Unlike other tribes that have inherent win cons, and a lot of synergy, the eldrazi pretty much suck, all except for the Eldrazi lords.

Even with Eye of Ugin I found myself spending so much of my deck doing nothing but mana generation that I had no defenses to speak of or the ability to do anything but sprint to hard-cast Eldrazi, and still couldn't pump out large Eldrazi any earlier than turn 5 on a consistent basis.  It ended up being frustrating to have such Timmy-cool creatures that were difficult to use in any other than a trick deck.  Dunno, tough tribe, and I gave it up as a lost cause.  Good luck.
I don't even think that these decks can get consistent turn 5 Eldrazi to be honest. 4 Posts on turn 4 is easy, I mean all it takes is Scapeshift + sac your 4 lands to accomplish 16 mana for turn 5, but even then the deck can't really do anything without Eye of Ugin. I find that it's more of a turn 6-7 deck than anything else. And, like you said, the deck should basically be focused around getting there on turn 6 (or whatever) 90% of the time, which includes surviving long enough to get there. That's a big reason why the "8 Wall" strategy is so popular, since it shuts down a lot of the would-be beaters that could otherwise truck the ramper down. It's also why I don't think that All is Dust is a bad card in the deck. It's not ideal with the Walls, I wouldn't argue that for a second, but it can still stabilize you if the alternative is to "just die."

I will say that I personally don't see the point in doing the infinite mana tricks and then going with Eldrazi. I mean, why not just Power Artifact a Basalt Monolith and Prosperity for 800 million? The "tricks" to produce infinite mana using Eldrazi spawn and slower and more conditional than other methods, and the deck becomes super fragile to removal. Like, if they just destroy your Mana Echoes then you're toast. I realize that the exact same thing can be said about destroying Posts, but I don't think that anyone here can say with a straight face that land destruction is common and accepted part of their meta. I mean, there will will always be outliers (my playgroup included), but I'm willing to bet that the OP's meta is part of the 99% who don't hate on lands consistently.

Anyways, all of this to say that I've seen a lot of Post decks in my day, and I've never seen fare better than the on that I've been describing. You want as much ****ing land tutors as possible, because getting 4 Posts and an Eye into play by turn 5-6 is just absolutely critical. And like, Eye is truly what makes this deck work. I'm not exaggerating for a second when I say that it outright makes the deck what it is. I wouldn't even consider playing it without it. But, anyways, this is a deck that's basically "playing the odds." The odds are that people won't stop land fetching, won't destroy his lands and won't beat past his Walls/All is Dusts. It's the safest strategy (in general) to employ in a multiplayer setting. It won't win every game, but it will win enough of them to be viable.
Well, I'm willing to ignore to the Wish issue for now. I'm asking about that one on the Q&A forums to see if there's any hard rulings. I could be wrong, but that's something that I've been told by a number of high-level players. Still, it's possible that we're mistaken.

EDIT: Well, apparantly people are siding with you, so I retract my statement about Living Wish. Seems odd, I'm wondering why Wishes aren't auto-includes in formats like EDH and whatnot..

it could be because Wish cards don't work in EDH.
15.) Abilities which refer to other cards owned outside the game (Wishes, Spawnsire, Research, Ring of Ma'ruf) do not function in Commander unless the optional sideboard rule is in use. If sideboards are used, wishes and similar cards may retrieve sideboard cards.

If the optional Sideboard rule was in effect, then the singleton rule would apply. The Four of Rule only applies to deck construction (sideboard contents), as others I am sure clarified on the Rules Forum.

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

rogerbacon wrote:
This is an eldrazi deck of mine that works great as long as I get the cloudposts and start ramping up the mana. If I don't then it does nothing and dies a quick death. I laready have 4 [expedition map[/c]s but not sure what else to do to increase chance of drawing a cloudpost. I've just recently thought about throwing in 4 living wishes to grab more copies of cloudpost (non-sanctioned even so I will have cloudposts that I own outside the game as well as 4 in the deck.). To make room for the 4 living wishes I pulled 2 Spell Burst and 2 sky diamonds. I need to keep the deck legacy format and I'd like to avoid colored permanents so I don't water down the usefulness of my all is dusts. Any suggestions?

// Lands
 4 [MR] Cloudpost
 2 [AN] Diamond Valley
 4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
 1 [M12] Island (3)
 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
 4 [FUT] Tolaria West
 4 [u] Tropical Island
 4 [TSP] Vesuva

// Creatures
 2 [ROE] It That Betrays
 1 [DS] Memnarch

// Spells
 3 [ROE] All Is Dust
 1 [ZEN] Eternity Vessel
 4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
 2 [u] Forcefield
 2 [NPH] Karn Liberated
 4 [JU] Living Wish
 1 [US] Mishra's Helix
 1 [IN] Planar Portal
 2 [TSP] Spell Burst
 1 [DS] Thunderstaff

Ring of Three Wishes could help out a lot, no?
Sign In to post comments