Our next big campaign: What should it be?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my groups second full 30 level 4e campaign is coming to an end, and I wanted to start brainstorming some ideas for a new one. Thus far, we've done a Demon themed campaign and an Undead themed campaign. Each relatively easy concepts to draw up with enough to make each adventure diverse and interesting. But for number three, I'm stuck between a few base concepts.

1. Dragon themed campaign

2. Aberration themed campaign

3. Fey themed campaign

These are the ideas members of the four man band  I'm running have pitched out at me. Each of them seem really good ideas to run with, and my homebrew campaign setting has enough to work with each of them, but I'm not sure which one I should do. My players didn't want to pick for me, since they would rather build their characters based around the theme of the campaign, and they can't decide on which characters they'd rather play more, so I figured I'd turn to you fine folks for your opinions.

Here's a brief run down of what the base idea for each campaign story to give you something to judge your selections on.

Dragon Theme
The general theme of the campaign from heroic to late paragon would revolve around the concept of the Great Game of Xorvintaal (as described in the 3.5 Monster Manual V). From there, it would grow into an underlying plot of how a major enemy Dragon in my hombrew world is using the game as a means of selecting worthy soldiers and subjugating them to his will through magic compulsion. The climax of the campaign would be facing off against this enemy in his home turf to rescue the Dragons he's made slaves of.

Aberration Theme
In my homebrew world, the far realm denizens have their own alien "deities" based on the twelve constellations of the zodiac. Aberrant slaves of these twelve seek to aid in the freedom of a little known thirteenth of these beings. Ideas on pacing and general goals for each tier are still slim, but I'm probably going to do something big for each of the three most prominent aberrations (Illithids, Aboleths and Beholders), as well as try to squeeze in Allabar somehow.

Fey Theme
My homebrew setting has much of the Feywild overtaken by a powerful Archfey who sold his soul to the Devils in an attempt to satisfy his own vanity and solidify his strength and beauty to rule over all of the Fey creatures. The campaign will start by having them work their way to seek an audience with one of the Fey kings that has been stranded in the mortal world, seeking the heroes aid in liberating his home country in the Feywild from Fomorian overlords. Their success only serves to attract the attention of the Devil's Archfey ally, who sends troops to reclaim the city from the heroes, and subjugate the Fey that repopulated it. The heroes are likely to take the fight to the source of the invaders in the Archfeys former capitol in the Feywild, only to travel to the Nine Hells from there to confront the Archfey directly later in Epic tier. I might try to work Kodalia or the Prince of Frost in for extra feywild flavoring too if I can.

Which one of these do you folks think my players and I should run next, and what would you add to it, if anything?

Thanks in advance as always everyone
I dunno, aberrations are a bit 'demony' for me. It might sort of start to feel a lot like the demon campaign, though admittedly you could make it seem different. The others sound good. I'm doing a bit of a shape shifter thing right now at heroic tier, but also some draconic plots. Maybe they'll tie together somehow. A Fey thing could also feature a bunch of shifters, those could be evil fey servants, or maybe they just got displaced by someone more nasty than themselves.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I dunno, aberrations are a bit 'demony' for me. It might sort of start to feel a lot like the demon campaign, though admittedly you could make it seem different. The others sound good. I'm doing a bit of a shape shifter thing right now at heroic tier, but also some draconic plots. Maybe they'll tie together somehow. A Fey thing could also feature a bunch of shifters, those could be evil fey servants, or maybe they just got displaced by someone more nasty than themselves.

The demon campaign was mostly non-draconic reptillian actually (Yuan-Ti, Nagas and the like). The overarching plot was that the Demons long ago lost the blood war and they're just now starting to try and rebel against the Devils by building a secret army from the mortal races. The last boss of the campaign was Echidna.

I think I'll avoid shapeshifters and other related creatures if possible in the next campaign. At least until later levels. They featured prominently throughout later heroic/early paragon in this most recent campaign.

Which would you run for your players?

The demon campaign was mostly non-draconic reptillian actually (Yuan-Ti, Nagas and the like). The overarching plot was that the Demons long ago lost the blood war and they're just now starting to try and rebel against the Devils by building a secret army from the mortal races. The last boss of the campaign was Echidna.

I think I'll avoid shapeshifters and other related creatures if possible in the next campaign. At least until later levels. They featured prominently throughout later heroic/early paragon in this most recent campaign.

Which would you run for your players?

Well, I'm running a game with dragons and shape shifters now, so I guess that one appeals to me. However, I like the whole feywild thing in general. It has gotten rather short shrift in D&D in general pretty much forever, so that might be a nice use of some of 4e's strongest fluff. Devils are fun too, and 4e has some pretty nice fluff for them, though not really super different from older stuff. I think if I were working on a new campaign arc right now I'd be pretty tempted to use a whole bunch of fey stuff.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
One for the Fey, then.

I wish the boards let me make polls. If they do, I don't know how to...
two for the fea.  I think devils and fea make great villians and Asmdios is just the bee nees.  Have the archfea sell his soul but since he is immortal and all, he does not really need.  That way he can try and turn the tables on the devils.  Just my two cents.

Mathius
3 for the fey, the feyplot sounds great

Another one flocks under the Fey banner!

Personally, i like abberant and Far Realm themed campaigns, but you have a good idea and it seems more prepared and thought out. I always liked the reality warping nightmare of an abberant invasion, and it can create very interesting missions and encounters, so Far Realm comes in at a close second.

Hope this helps 

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Oh, I thought you were looking for campaign ideas.  I've got a metric ton of them.

I'd vote for the Aberrations Theme.  You could have an Epic Star Pact Warlock be the main villain.  He'd of course be insane in the Lovecraftian manner, trying to aid in the release of the 13th diety for the percieved favor and power it would gain him.  I'd have a strong theme of insanity running through the campaign to give it a creepy feel.  Any cultists or slaves of the cult that are encountered would have some sort of mental disease, and I'd play it up when they were "on stage."  I would also have reality warping effects as the Starlord got closer to his objectives.  Subtle or not so subtle changes to what the characters know about reality could really make them feel disconnected and creeped out.

My campaigns in my own world often have earth shattering consequences, so I would end with the Starlord performing the ritual to free the 13th diety.  If the party is successful, they stop him and everything returns to normal.  If they fail, my next campaign would reflect some terrible consequence of their failure.  Maybe the living gate has been restored and travel between reality, and the Far Realm is commonplace.  Perhaps the world is in thrall to the Far Realm creatures and dieties.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Chris Perkins wrote a DM Experience article on using arcs in a campaign.  You could build a campaign that has elements from all three themes that expand over every tier.  He makes it sound much cooler than I can, so I suggest reading it.  It's the 33rd article "Covenant of the Arcs."

As for what I would choose as the main theme-devil fey.  Your idea sounds awesome.  That and I'm going to hell anyway, so I'd like some company for the trip.
Chris Perkins wrote a DM Experience article on using arcs in a campaign.  You could build a campaign that has elements from all three themes that expand over every tier.  He makes it sound much cooler than I can, so I suggest reading it.  It's the 33rd article "Covenant of the Arcs."

For the most part I do this to varying degree, but I like to keep inclusion minimal and mix up enemies uncommon to the primary theme every adventure. For example, the most recent campaign theme was Undead. Early heroic they also fought against Goblins, Kenku, Gnolls, Aquatic enemies, a group of hired assassins from the Shadowfell, and Werewolves with undead interspersed among them. Only until the climax of heroic tier did the undead start to play a prominent role in every adventure, and even then they were varied in their appearances, mannerisms, etc., so that each adventure was something new without spreading my options for other material thin. I even included Fey, Aberrant and Dragon themed enemies late paragon/early epic of the campaign, but not enough that it would spoil any of the current campaign ideas or make them seem too familiar in plot/presentation.

Long story short, I'd probably end up including everything presented here at some point, but not for more than one episode of the campaign.

Anyways, It seems like the Fey theme has it. Thanks for the input folks. My players will surely love/hate you for it XD