Healing Surges, Healing, and Bloodied for 5th edition.

I am the DM of a group of long-time hardcore players and a few newcomers. Since the beginning of 4thedition, it’s being very difficult for us to deal with healing surges. People often have problems remembering of keeping track of their remaining surges, and is difficult for me, as a DM, to know how many surges the players have on the heat of battle.

Healing surges also add a discomfort when dealing with healing character. The impression is that the healing capabilities of a character do not depend on how good the character is healing, but how many hit points the character being healed has.


For 5th edition we would like to see the healing surges removed, or at least replaced.


In the other hand, the bloodied value has been terrifically useful. It indicated that a character needs healing, or the monster is half dead. Is very easy to imagine the monster bleeding, or with all the body covered by blood. Even though is a little weird to talk about bloodied value for creatures such as undead or constructs, maybe it is best for those creatures to be immune to effect caused by them being bloodied, because they wouldn’t bleed.


Healing must be magical unless applied using the Heal skill. It is difficult to imagine someone dying and unconscious to wake up, stand up and fight, after someone yell some inspiring words. It is difficult to imagine someone getting healed because he suddenly takes a second breath (second wind) or a sudden moment of motivation. That kind of situation can work best with temporary hit points or even bonus to attack or damage, but not being magically healed.

 People often have problems remembering of keeping track of their remaining surges


Sounds like a fault of the players in question. If they can't remember to spend a healing surge when told to spend a healing surge, "Ongoing 5 save ends" must blow their minds.

Healing surges also add a discomfort when dealing with healing character. The impression is that the healing capabilities of a character do not depend on how good the character is healing, but how many hit points the character being healed has.


How? And once again that's on the players. "I heal you for 200!" "Great, but my max HP is 40" "I DON'T CARE I AM THE BEST AT HEALING"
Which I guess works, but it was considerably worse in the days of "1d8+1, heal two hit points." "...Thank you." "Don't take that tone with me Mr. Barbarian" 

For 5th edition we would like to see the healing surges removed, or at least replaced.


Nope, they're one of the best things 4th ed did to the game. Gone are the days of "Somebody HAS TO play a cleric." along with being brilliant in general. Granted, I'm not opposed to change, they just better have a damn good replacement for them, rather than dropping them because "math is hard"

Even though is a little weird to talk about bloodied value for creatures such as undead or constructs, maybe it is best for those creatures to be immune to effect caused by them being bloodied, because they wouldn’t bleed.


Nope, we are not getting back on that slippery slope to "Oh hay you know that thing that defines 80% of your class's combat ability? Yeah, like 3/4 of the monsters in this campaign are immune. You know, flavor and all that." 

Healing must be magical unless applied using the Heal skill. It is difficult to imagine someone dying and unconscious to wake up, stand up and fight, after someone yell some inspiring words. It is difficult to imagine someone getting healed because he suddenly takes a second breath (second wind) or a sudden moment of motivation. That kind of situation can work best with temporary hit points or even bonus to attack or damage, but not being magically healed.


Ah, here's the problem. Hit points are NOT your physcial well being (though it's a part of them). They represent your health, morale, love of kittens, basically your ability to keep fighting. So while getting hit for 7 damagae might not badly wound you, it would just really hurt. Then the warlord is all "Walk it off!"

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I agree with RP on what hit points represent...  75 hp of my characters 98 hit points is dedicated to his love for kittens.
Some of the early indicators that I am hearing from people who have (already) playtested 5E is that healing surges are going away.  This is only an unconfirmed rumor that is (obviously) impossible to substantiate, but that is what I have been hearing in the rumor mill.


-Polaris
I prefer healing to be magical. I am not really a fan of the way martial classes can heal in 4E.

Also while likeing the idea of healing surges, I'd like it if healing surge regeneration would be dependenton quality of rest and Constitution, so that you can have the situation where the group has to decide either to camp in the wilderness, saving their money and resting immediately or to try to reach the inn even if that means pressing onwards during the night to let their wounded comrades heal their wounds faster.
eh if they go back to the old heal 1 hp a day type thing im pretty familiar with how those adventures go. room, room, back to town for a week. room, room, back to town for a week
eh if they go back to the old heal 1 hp a day type thing im pretty familiar with how those adventures go. room, room, back to town for a week. room, room, back to town for a week



It's my understanding (with all the cautions and caveats above about this being unsubstantiated rumor), that healing beyond the cleric (ie everyone can heal a little bit) is here to stay.  As I understand it, the mechanic will be different and that's honestly all I know.


-Polaris
I prefer healing to be magical. I am not really a fan of the way martial classes can heal in 4E.

Also while likeing the idea of healing surges, I'd like it if healing surge regeneration would be dependenton quality of rest and Constitution, so that you can have the situation where the group has to decide either to camp in the wilderness, saving their money and resting immediately or to try to reach the inn even if that means pressing onwards during the night to let their wounded comrades heal their wounds faster.



personaly i see bloodied value as the point where a caracter actualy starts to get wounded.
the point where blood starts to flow.

before that it is just faituge some scrapes and bruises.

so maybe a warlord or bard peptalk would only work on players that are not bloodied
and magic would be needed to adress the actual wounds when a character is bloodied


 
eh if they go back to the old heal 1 hp a day type thing im pretty familiar with how those adventures go. room, room, back to town for a week. room, room, back to town for a week


 I am not advocating the old 1hp (or equivalent) healing but was just speaking against the sleep a night and be fully healed paradigm of 4E.
eh if they go back to the old heal 1 hp a day type thing im pretty familiar with how those adventures go. room, room, back to town for a week. room, room, back to town for a week


 I am not advocating the old 1hp (or equivalent) healing but was just speaking against the sleep a night and be fully healed paradigm of 4E.



yeah i dont think either are perfect. as for the mechanics in the new edition, people complained so much about combat that it is def getting simplified, at least the 'core' basic version. so it will be just like labyrinth lord, move attack, done. so clerics wont get stuck only healing and not fighting so i am guess there will be some kind of surgeless healing 'charges' everyone is given-basically the 4e equivalent of a free action, coupled with some leader type attacks, like so many times an encounter the cleric can heal when he hits. just a guess but im pretty sure the core will end up close to that. its possible the add-ons will get you back toward 4e level but you likely will need to purchase multiple books, many of which wont be available from the get go.
eh if they go back to the old heal 1 hp a day type thing im pretty familiar with how those adventures go. room, room, back to town for a week. room, room, back to town for a week


 I am not advocating the old 1hp (or equivalent) healing but was just speaking against the sleep a night and be fully healed paradigm of 4E.


For what it's worth, literally everybody I've talked to about this house ruled it like that in 3.5.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
 People often have problems remembering of keeping track of their remaining surges


Sounds like a fault of the players in question. If they can't remember to spend a healing surge when told to spend a healing surge, "Ongoing 5 save ends" must blow their minds.




You are mistaken by your assumption. It is easy to justify thing saying that people are dumb (or lazy) because they don’t keep record of something, that for us, is unnecessary.


Ongoing damage (equivalent of wounding effects in other games) make you take damage each turn, is easy to remember that you will take damage each turn and you have to make a saving throw to take it off.


When you spend a healing surge, the only consequence is that sometime in the future you will not be able to heal as effectively. And by sometime in the future, usually I mean the following real life game day. Players have almost no incentive to remember to count down the healing surges, and many times, it has no consequences.


Furthermore we have the problem of a mechanic that is completely outside the story. When you say you have ongoing damage, you can say you are wounded and bleeding. When you have ongoing fire, you say you are on fire and need to extinguish it. If you are taking cold damage, you are freezing and need to warm up.


But it is difficult to think on healing surges in terms like that. When you lose a healing surge you… are getting tired??? So, I cannot get healed because…


I respect your opinion, and if healing surges are working so great for you that you say is one of the best feature of 4th edition, then great. But is not the case for us.

Eh, I'm torn on healing surges.  I don't like the arbitrary limit on the number of times you can be magically healed.  On the other hand, I DO like that players have a healing resource to draw on other than a cleric (or other healer).  I wouldn't mind helaing surges going away if the find a way to hve players still have some limited ability to heal themselves.  What that would be, I don't know.


You are mistaken by your assumption. It is easy to justify thing saying that people are dumb (or lazy) because they don’t keep record of something, that for us, is unnecessary.



Don't keep track of is fine (Well not fine, but whatevs, if everyone enjoys eschewing them, more power to you I guess). You said "Have problems keeping track of" which a different beast altogether. 

When you spend a healing surge, the only consequence is that sometime in the future you will not be able to heal as effectively. And by sometime in the future, usually I mean the following real life game day. Players have almost no incentive to remember to count down the healing surges, and many times, it has no consequences.


Try playing a defender. And try the thrill of going into the final encounter of Keep on the Shadowfell with no healing surges because the clock is ticking and I'm a gambling man.

Furthermore we have the problem of a mechanic that is completely outside the story. When you say you have ongoing damage, you can say you are wounded and bleeding. When you have ongoing fire, you say you are on fire and need to extinguish it. If you are taking cold damage, you are freezing and need to warm up.

But it is difficult to think on healing surges in terms like that. When you lose a healing surge you… are getting tired??? So, I cannot get healed because…



Becsause you're losing your resolve or getting exhausted (Go ahead, ask your doctor if the best way to treat an injury is to spend all day doing physically exhausting activities), or your faith in the adorableness of kittens is starting to waver, or actually got some pretty bad cuts, or are suffering from heatstroke or frostbite or feeling sick, or sprained your ankle, etc. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

There are some ways to change healing without return to the errors of the past. Let’s think for example, the potions found in Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium. They heal a fix amount of damage depending on the level of the potion, plus some extra d6. The healers could have that kind of magical ability. You will know how many hit points your comrade has left, and you will know which of the healing abilities (or spells) to use.


Then let’s think about old paladins, and how they had a fixed amount of healing with their Lay on Hands. They were able to decide how much healing to spend on each target, in order not to waste the healing.

I like the Surge mechanic, in general, but can see some issues with it, as well. I'd like something in between the Surge mechanic and only allowing magical or (generally much slower) resting.

Maybe a mechanic wherein the class with healing can "cast" that healing as long as you have surges (as opposed to twice in one encounter, but not more than once per round)? I also think your CON should play more into the total HP your character has than it does in 4e, although there is something nice about the simplified mechanic. A character with an 18 CON should be significantly more healthy (and therefore more able to take the effects of physical combats) than a character with a 10 CON, in my mind.

It is also really nice having each class have some access to healing, and classes that are not traditional "heal-bots" able to do nice healing. I hope that stays in the next edition. 
Balance = Equally effective, but different, ways of reaching a goal or overcoming an obstacle.

Your Con mod added to surges means that a 18 CON is significant better than 10 CON... by 4 surges - or your entire HP total.  So given 12 + con + 5/lvl over 1...  at 11th - 80 hp versus 72 hp may not seem much but with 4 more surges thats a 88 hp difference.  That's huge in an adventuring day.


TjD

I like healing surges and I hope that they stay. However, to better support the abstract nature of HP and to keep people from getting wrapped around the axle over visions of regenerating rogues, they should have called them "heroic surges". In addition, I would like to see other uses for heroic surges beyond just healing. Some ideas:

-In Amethyst, some classes can spend surges to activate abilities, such as dealing extra damage.
-I stole a houserule from someone else here that allows characters to spend surges to reroll failed checks when they are on the verge of failing a skill challenge.
-Trade a surge for an action point (still limited to spending 1 AP per encounter)

And some of these could be optional rules since not all DMs might enjoy characters blowing through all their surges within a couple encounters.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I think the biggest problem with healing surges is that....people still don't really seem to get that HP damage does not necessairly equate to bodily harm. So, the first few hits you take? Yeah, those are when your hero narrowly manages to dodge out of the way, or do a desperate last-second parry. When he's bloodied, that's when he actually takes a hit.

However, the second problem is the "end" of the bloodied, when your character gets KOed. Sure, he gets healed, and....hops right back up from something that KOed him, and is thus, a grevious wound? I'll admit that that is something hard to describe as a DM.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

 

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

 

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
eh if they go back to the old heal 1 hp a day type thing im pretty familiar with how those adventures go. room, room, back to town for a week. room, room, back to town for a week


 I am not advocating the old 1hp (or equivalent) healing but was just speaking against the sleep a night and be fully healed paradigm of 4E.



Yeah, I really liked how in previous editions:
1. If the party was really banged up, it was two nights sleep and be fully healed.
2. One night sleep, and I guess it is time to craft another wand of cure light wounds.
3. One night sleep, and I guess I used up half my spell slots for today.


And healing surges fixed one of the biggest complaints on healing in previous editions, the fact that it took more cure x wounds spells to heal a nearly dead fighter to full as opposed to a nearly dead wizard. 

The only way I can think of to reconcile this is with two kinds of damage.  One represents being knocked out, the other represents actual bodily harm.  The former would recover fairly quickly, the latter would recover more slowly.  It would be possible to take a lot of KO damage, but little bodily damage (the result of, say, most fistfights), and also possible to take a lot of body damage but little KO damage (for the dramatic hero battling on while literally dying on his feet scenario).
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Hey! Didn't they do that in one of the Star Wars systems? Vitality and...something else?

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

 

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

 

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Hey! Didn't they do that in one of the Star Wars systems? Vitality and...something else?



Wounds and Vitality, if memory serves.  HERO System also uses Body and Stun, respectively.

The Wounds/Vitality system was simpler, and probably better for D&D.  All damage went to Vitality unless you were out of Vitality (in which case any overflow went to your Wounds), or if a critical hit was scored (in which case it all went to your Wounds).  The system was also in the 3e Unearthed Arcana.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I like the cinematic view of healing surges.    I like some of the ideas here too.


I think the idea of "pushing on" by spending a surge, I also let players "spend a surge" once per encouter to get a re-roll.  We usually play 2-3 combat encounters in a session so surges are rarely consumed.  Due to the real world time between sessions we are generally starting a new "day"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

4th edition adventurers are incredably hardy compared to most editons 

1e and 2e killed you if you took damage that put you at -10 HP

in 4e you have to do 1/2 the PCs hitpoint total after they are down to kill them, making death very rare and very difficult for a DM to make happen. (in all of my LFR, i have never had a character die, i have actually died on 2 occasions and one was an encounters pregen, the other a slayer for a 1 shot)

i am currently DMing with an epic level party and in order to kill the partys warden, first i must do 226 points of damage with monsters that typically do at most 2dx+20 meaning i will need to get about 9-10 hits in without him 2ed winding, being healed in any manner or resisting the damage

then if a miricle happens dropping him to 0 (assuming any monsters are alive still) i must cu de grace my way to another 113 points of damage (about 4-5 hits) and if at any point he gets 1 hit point, hes back up as if nothing has happend (he has about 17 surges, so its not like this is a big deal later on) 

in order to kill this man it would take about 5-6 rounds of wailing on him and good rolling on my part. 

but lets say he does decide that he wont 2ed wind, let the leader heal him and his sorcerer and rogue quit blitzing the enemy down. well his epic destiny kicks in giving him some awsome reward for his own death, or he pays pennies and his party gets him ressurected or for free if someone has the power. 

so i would realistically have to do 700 damage (counting leader heals, 2ed winds and other bonuses) to kill this walking mountion of dwarven steel  achiving, well, nothing for the effort. 

and the rogue and sorcerer? i can get them down once in a while, but they will usually get healed soon if not immideatly, or want to die to pull off their epic destiny feature (for the fun)

i would like to make it easier to kill and feel like i am more threatned to be killed, and that death can become final if things go poorly 
Even though 4e doesn't "require" a dedicated healing character (ie Cleric) the end result is no different. In the 4e game I run one of the players is a healing Cleric and with him the party can engage in combats at least twice as tough as when he isn't involved in a combat. 4e healing characters make a HUGE difference on party survivability, as much or even more than previous editions.

I prefer giving all characters some means of healing themsevles and others and do away with healing only characters. Playing with and without these healing-only characters makes a big difference in encounter design. HP could always be thought of as fatigue and then the term "recovery" could replace "healing". No more need for dedicated healer options.
As far as I can tell, designers have a Hobson's Choice. 

Choice 1: They could have healing surges, or some similar mechanic that means a hit isn't really a hit until the last few hit points, and some narrative device to explain why a night's rest brings everyone back to full....

Choice 2: You have magic item dependency with people either loading up on healing potins and cure light wounds wands, making magic items ubiquitous and ruining the hope for a low-magic option, or resurrecting the healing battery cleric.

Of the two options I prefer healing surges or a similar mechanic.
I agree with bone_naga that a lot distaste for healing surges could be removed if they were called something else like "heroic surges" that can be used for healing. Naming it thus also makes it feel more senisble to use for non-healing actions.

On the whole, though, I think I prefer a two-tone health system. Add Shadowrun to the list of games that uses it with Stun vs. Physical damages. For D&D, most damage would go against "vitality", which would refresh quickly, easily and by a number of sources. Even better, this type of damage would (at least partially) restore itself between battles, so that a party could keep slowy pushing forward, even without overt healing. Since "wounds" are more difficult to recover, they would represent your "daily" stamina.

I think I prefer this system because it feels slightly less arbitrary than surges. Surges represent "potential health" that needs to be "unlocked" by various means. "Sure, I could keep fighting, but I just don't feel like it unless somebody reminds me that I have kittens waiting for me at home ... 10 times a day."

The biggest problem that I see with vitality/wounds is that hp might be considered one of those D&D defining "sacred cows". Beyond this, what are the other reasons for rejecting the two-tone health idea?
I agree with bone_naga that a lot distaste for healing surges could be removed if they were called something else like "heroic surges" that can be used for healing. Naming it thus also makes it feel more senisble to use for non-healing actions.

On the whole, though, I think I prefer a two-tone health system. Add Shadowrun to the list of games that uses it with Stun vs. Physical damages. For D&D, most damage would go against "vitality", which would refresh quickly, easily and by a number of sources. Even better, this type of damage would (at least partially) restore itself between battles, so that a party could keep slowy pushing forward, even without overt healing. Since "wounds" are more difficult to recover, they would represent your "daily" stamina.

I think I prefer this system because it feels slightly less arbitrary than surges. Surges represent "potential health" that needs to be "unlocked" by various means. "Sure, I could keep fighting, but I just don't feel like it unless somebody reminds me that I have kittens waiting for me at home ... 10 times a day."

The biggest problem that I see with vitality/wounds is that hp might be considered one of those D&D defining "sacred cows". Beyond this, what are the other reasons for rejecting the two-tone health idea?

Vitality/Wounds worked great in EarthDawn. You only got Wounds on armor-defeating (equivalent to Crits) hits and they were much harder to heal. It became the de facto difference between bruises, scrapes, and bruises and broken bones, torn muscles, and missing limbs.

I also very much liked that game's use of Defense (ability to avoid being hit) and Armor (ability to resist damage once hit).
Balance = Equally effective, but different, ways of reaching a goal or overcoming an obstacle.
i dont think they are going to stray far at all from past editions regarding healing, as an allegedly unified system incorporating past editions seems an unlikely place for any major change
Please, please. Instead of just removing healing surges, please ditch everything 4E. (content removed). I understand needing to have HP and dice for random chance outcomes, but those rules make me cry.

The whole thing about D&D was that you were kind of a normal person who became extraordinary when magic and the divine were involved. I don't need surge points and usable per day effects. When it comes to healing, give me someone who kneels in prayer and their god grants them a miracle. Something spontaneous and special. I'd like to see a faith system where your character is petitioning their god for the power to heal wounds. Don't throw it out there like some cheap thing to be mocked, make a system where your actions dictate your connection and not a system where just because you wake up and put on your makeup you suddenly sprout the ability to close a gaping chest wound.

in 4e you have to do 1/2 the PCs hitpoint total after they are down to kill them, making death very rare and very difficult for a DM to make happen.



That's a good thing.  It has been my experience that games with high character turnover rates result in poor RP, because nobody's going to put effort into RPing a character that they can't expect to survive long enough to explore his story.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Please, please. Instead of just removing healing surges, please ditch everything 4E. (content removed). I understand needing to have HP and dice for random chance outcomes, but those rules make me cry.

The whole thing about D&D was that you were kind of a normal person



That was always something I hated about previous editions.  I didn't want to play 'a normal person'.  I wanted to play a larger-than-life hero.  Beowulf the warrior, not Bob the farmer.

who became extraordinary when magic and the divine were involved. I don't need surge points and usable per day effects. When it comes to healing, give me someone who kneels in prayer and their god grants them a miracle. Something spontaneous and special. I'd like to see a faith system where your character is petitioning their god for the power to heal wounds. Don't throw it out there like some cheap thing to be mocked, make a system where your actions dictate your connection and not a system where just because you wake up and put on your makeup you suddenly sprout the ability to close a gaping chest wound. 



You really don't understand hit points.

Hit Points are abstract.  They always have been.  Just because you have lost hit points does not mean you have been physically injured.  Similarly, just because you are regaining hit points doesn't mean that the wounds you took were healed.  If a Warlord uses inspiring word on someone with a broken arm, the arm is still broken.  He's simply been inspired to keep fighting despite the injury, which I daresay is pretty heroic.

Your system is also untenable for those of us who run games without gods.  Healing powers should not be restricted by power source.  Let everybody get in on it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
4th edition adventurers are incredably hardy compared to most editons



groups.google.com/group/rec.games.frp.dn...

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

 

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

 

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Vitality/Wounds worked great in EarthDawn. You only got Wounds on armor-defeating (equivalent to Crits) hits and they were much harder to heal. It became the de facto difference between bruises, scrapes, and bruises and broken bones, torn muscles, and missing limbs.

I think vitality/wounds as part of the core rules both strays too far from every edition of D&D and also goes against the idea of quick streamlined rules. However, as an optional rules module, I think it would be very easy to take that idea and plug it into a standard HP game.

I also very much liked that game's use of Defense (ability to avoid being hit) and Armor (ability to resist damage once hit).


I like that idea as well, but as much as I would like to see that in D&D, I don't expect that it is going to happen.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.


That was always something I hated about previous editions.  I didn't want to play 'a normal person'.  I wanted to play a larger-than-life hero.  Beowulf the warrior, not Bob the farmer.




A larger then life hero is great and I think the leveling/experience system handled that, but for the truly impressive feats there was always magic or the divine (even if it was a inner divine like a monk) involved. 


You really don't understand hit points.

Hit Points are abstract.  They always have been.  Just because you have lost hit points does not mean you have been physically injured.  Similarly, just because you are regaining hit points doesn't mean that the wounds you took were healed.  If a Warlord uses inspiring word on someone with a broken arm, the arm is still broken.  He's simply been inspired to keep fighting despite the injury, which I daresay is pretty heroic.

Your system is also untenable for those of us who run games without gods.  Healing powers should not be restricted by power source.  Let everybody get in on it.



I don't know how to respond to this, by your wording if HP doesn't equal physical injury then 0 HP must mean that your perfectly fine and -10 maybe a small scratch. I didn't mention being maimed, I alluded that if I lost half my health it shouldn't be a a gimme thing that I can be healed.  It should be something to be roleplayed. And if you want healing without gods, then you are speaking more about psionics which is an innate human magic or power of the human spirit. Thats perfectly fine to have healing there, so its not untenable

healing surges must be reduced, once by adventure, or using the heal skill will aloww you to spend a healing surge. 
my suggestion is one characteristic that adds healing surge, action points and daily powers, and you have a few by level. like ten points . is the ultimate resoure,  i call that Heroic Points.
like the force point in SW system 
Vitality/Wounds worked great in EarthDawn. You only got Wounds on armor-defeating (equivalent to Crits) hits and they were much harder to heal. It became the de facto difference between bruises, scrapes, and bruises and broken bones, torn muscles, and missing limbs.

I think vitality/wounds as part of the core rules both strays too far from every edition of D&D and also goes against the idea of quick streamlined rules. However, as an optional rules module, I think it would be very easy to take that idea and plug it into a standard HP game.

I also very much liked that game's use of Defense (ability to avoid being hit) and Armor (ability to resist damage once hit).


I like that idea as well, but as much as I would like to see that in D&D, I don't expect that it is going to happen.




Agreed about these types of changes to the core system needing to be optional or extra module. It does seem like a relatively simple thing for the designers to consider and include as an optional rule.
Balance = Equally effective, but different, ways of reaching a goal or overcoming an obstacle.


 I don't need... usable per day effects



you mean like 1e spells?
  If a Warlord uses inspiring word on someone with a broken arm, the arm is still broken.  He's simply been inspired to keep fighting despite the injury, which I daresay is pretty heroic.




I see it more as the officer rallying a troop that falls over back to his feet. Watch Band of Brothers. When Winters rallies Blythe to get up and start firing, that is Inspiring Word in my eyes. A good combat leader keeping his troops focused and on the target.
the SW editions with vitality and wond points is beautifull, you can heal and fight but you still wounded.
a critical hit is deadly  and i like it