Things they should and should not keep from 4th edition.

Should Keep: 
Standardized To Hit and Defense Progression for all Classes
Ok lets face it, making spellcasters have to roll to hit is probably the best thing 4e contributed to the game.  So lets keep that, and also that Defenses scale on the same curve as attacks, so things actually have a chance of missing you once and a while.
No "Save or Die" Effects
I like the idea of having to fail several rolls before you die, cuz let face it no one liked getting a 1 when smacked in the face with a Power Word Kill or Phantasmal Killer
Non Spellcaster Fighting Manuevers (or Powers, if you will)
Yeah, Fighters and Barbarians need something other to do than just hit things.
Monster Design Based on what you want monster to Do, rather than make it fir into already existing rules. 
Another Strength of the game, was monster design, make monsters fun, and people will use them. 
 
 

Should Not Keep:
Arbitrary Roles and Power Sources. 
Not Every fighter needs to be a defender, not every wizard needs to be a controller, etc.  Fighter can be strikers, Wizards can be leaders, let let players decide what they want thier characer to do.  Also, Power Sources have got to go.  This is one of the things that made 4e so repetitive, Trying to fill a role for every power source, no one cares that monks are psychic and avengers are divine, they both do about the same darn thing! 
Strangley Streamlined Skill System. 
Make Skills fun, if a certain skill doesn't fit under the definition for  the name of the skill, don't try to pigeonhole it into the skill for the sake of brevity (I build houses using dungeoneering, really?)   But on the other hand we have three skills for talking to people (Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate). 
Cartoony Base Races
Pretty much self explanitory, this is veering into personal taste here, but I don't need lots of Animal-human hybrid races, demonic races, Talking plants, Sentient Rocks, or Purple Angel races, these should be handles in campaign suppliments, make PHB races more generic what's wrong with Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs? 
Every Class Straightjacketed into same Power Progression  
Wizards can get a lot of stuff that scales slower.  Fighters and Barbarians can get a few key abilities that you can customize. Clerics can get heals and Buffs. Sorcerors can perhaps recharge stuff they've already used. Psions can either meter thier abilities out over time or blow it all in one Huge strike, endless variations here people. 
Saving throws being 50/50 chances.
Yeah, vary it up a bit, if i am playing Huge burly Barbarian, he should shrug off poison easier than my lil twitchy Rogue.         
    
Hmm, I can dig.

Should keep:
Healing Surges (in some form) and reduced dependency on healing battery classes
The cosmology, because it's a massive improvement over previous iterations
Class concepts new to 4e like warlords and avengers.
A streamlined class/subclass hierarchy (rather than just endless new classes with different but samey powers).  Like Essentials, but implemented from the beginning and better organized.
Power tiers, with unique mechanic (theme, paragon path, epic destiny) tied to each
User-friendly DM'ing, ease of dungeon/encounter crafting.

Should do away with:
Roles, at least as far as pigeonholing entire classes into them.
Wonky math that forces player optimization to meet very baseline effectiveness
Magic Items as Wall-o-stats shopping list.  These should be unique and flavorful
Overly standardized progression for all classes.  Fighters and casters should feel different.  Essentials did wonders for this in 4e.  
Band-aid fixes like masterwork armor and overpowered feats - Yeah, biggest mistake in 4e IMO.  

Not sure:
Power sources - it's an interesting thematic, but it can restrict design and seems mostly pointless.
Skills - I really don't know the best way to handle them, honestly.  I'll withold judgment for the time being. 
Feats - I like them, but they need to have better quality control this time around.
Ability Scores - Refinements are needed, but I'm not sure of what would be best.

Keep out: 
Arbirary restrictions - Keep these away from the game, period.  If I want to play a dwarf wizard, let me play a dwarf wizard.
Alignment as mechanic, alignment as fluff is tolerable.

Would like to see: 
Better campaign setting support
Cosmology:
 Not especially thrilled with 4e cosmology, seems dumb to make every campaigh use same cosmology, the Gygaxian idea of the multiverse is dead, instead of having a single cosomology, DMG (assuming they keep PHB, DMG, MM format, i'm not sure they will) should have perhaps Campaign stubs, also good promotional tool for future suppliments

 
Masterwork Armor:    
Not opposed to idea in general, for flavor, but as fix for mathematical OOPS, is lame. 
 
Magic Items:
Magic should be special and unique, something coveted and prized, not necessary to have a chance at higher levels. (this could be the signatory improvement for 5e, as no all previous editions were reliant on magic items as playing field levelers)
 

Alignment:     
Don't care either way, but there's something that feels innately D&Dish about alignments to me, i don't enforce them anyways, i have a mantra "In game actions have in game consequences" you want to run aroound and cause people problems, people will do bad things in revenge, no need for cosmic smackdown.  I've yet to find a player who can out CSI me for the perfect crime with no witnesses. 

Healing Surges:  
Hrmm, well healing surges were the one thing that keeps resource management in the game, and as a person who detests bookkeeping, they get a big thumbs down for me. Reducing dependance on healers is ok, perhaps allow an Herbalism feat to make homeopatic potions and poltices, seems a better choice than as a straight skill check.  

They should do away with:



  • Healing Surges

  • Not magical healing powers (or at least, require them to use the Heal skill)

  • Roles

  • Magic Items enhancement bonus, magic items should be unique with unique abilities, but not required for success

  • Standard progression table for all classes 

  • Over-streamlined skills

  • Required feats, such as feats giving bonus to attack rolls

  • Keep power sources but call them magic!

  • Remove martial power as a power source. Handle martial power as martial arts, and divide the abilities in martial practices or schools.

  • Remove the epic tour from the core books; bring it as a supplement in later books. Most of the campaign reach the epic tier years after starting, and is very difficult to start to learn a new system at epic level.

  • Unaligned Alignment

Healing:

Well i firmly beleive something has to be done about healing, it's more realistic to have characters laid up for months when they get hurt but less fun.  In my book, fun trumps realism, realism is doing your taxes, realism is unfun. 
 
 
Power Sources:
Power sources are dumb and meta, magic is in my definition "Things that can't be natural" so in my recogning, Psi is defiantely magic too, calling them martial arts is just as restricting, and has Kung Fu connotations, I prefer "Manuevers" it's flavorful but inclusive, this is what i think Feats were supposed to emulate originally.     
what's wrong with Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs?


Nothing. Just like there's nothing wrong with taking a generic flavorless nutrient supplement in place of eating, but some of us like our meals to have flavor.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Some Changes in At-will / encounter / daily powers/spell

i like atwill powers, as a caster specially, but i prefer a mana pool or something similar, with daily powers we just end up sleeping a lot


Also: you may be interested in this post 
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(keep_track_of_what_users_want)
I think that keeping Healing Surges is a "good" thing.  I've always felt that the party should be Heroes and have something that differentiates them from the rest of the world.  Limiting the number that can be used is a minor issue.


Power Sources and Alignment are good story tools.


The concept of Bloodied is a real help for the party to tell how well they are doing against the bad guys.      

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)


Nothing. Just like there's nothing wrong with taking a generic flavorless nutrient supplement in place of eating, but some of us like our meals to have flavor.


 
 
Dragonborn, Shifter, Devas, Wilden, Changelings, Vrykolas, Warforged, Pixies,Minotaurs, and Shardminds aren't as much flavor as they are Junk Food, some people like them, but really add little to the game, and definately don't belong in a core book.  People who like them will buy the suppliment. 

Cartoony Base Races
Pretty much self explanitory, this is veering into personal taste here, but I don't need lots of Animal-human hybrid races, demonic races, Talking plants, Sentient Rocks, or Purple Angel races, these should be handles in campaign suppliments, make PHB races more generic what's wrong with Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs? 

Strongly disagree.

I'd much rather have significantly different races, like plants, rocks, angles, devils, elementals, pixies.
Then homogonious human, pointy ear human who like trees, short bearded humans who like dirt, child size humans, (gnomes are good), and ugly angry humans.


Also, loose attack rolls (or damage rolls).  Rolling 2 sets of dice to see what happened is exsessive.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.


Nothing. Just like there's nothing wrong with taking a generic flavorless nutrient supplement in place of eating, but some of us like our meals to have flavor.


 
 
Dragonborn, Shifter, Devas, Wilden, Changelings, Vrykolas, Warforged, Pixies,Minotaurs, and Shardminds aren't as much flavor as they are Junk Food, some people like them, but really add little to the game, and definately don't belong in a core book.  People who like them will buy the suppliment. 


Why? Explain to me how the same could not be said of Elves, Dwarves, and Humans, without using the "Tolkien did it and change is scary!" "argument" 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Nothing. Just like there's nothing wrong with taking a generic flavorless nutrient supplement in place of eating, but some of us like our meals to have flavor.


 
 
Dragonborn, Shifter, Devas, Wilden, Changelings, Vrykolas, Warforged, Pixies,Minotaurs, and Shardminds aren't as much flavor as they are Junk Food, some people like them, but really add little to the game, and definately don't belong in a core book.  People who like them will buy the suppliment. 



They need something other than the same old Tolkein crap. If that annoys the old fatbeards enough to not buy the edition, they probably werent going to anyways.

I find wildly divergent species much more believable than 6 different "Malibu Stacy with a New Hat" humans.
Personally i'd be fine if they restricted races to just "Human" since people playing are human all characters are really just differing aspects of humanity, can you seriously say you can accurately roleplay the thought processes of a Walking Broccoli or Pet Rock? But as races are indemic to the D&D (not fantasy as most fantasy characters are "gasp" human) we should at least limit the choices to something that people can realistically play. Also when everyone is a strange monster then it's harder to take a story seriously, as you are a fuzzy muppet, a pink lizard, a floatiing chandelier, and an asparagus stalk who walk into bar.
Personally i'd be fine if they restricted races to just "Human" since people playing are human all characters are really just differing aspects of humanity, can you seriously say you can accurately roleplay the thought processes of a Walking Broccoli or Pet Rock? But as races are indemic to the D&D (not fantasy as most fantasy characters are "gasp" human) we should at least limit the choices to something that people can realistically play. Also when everyone is a strange monster then it's harder to take a story seriously, as you are a fuzzy muppet, a pink lizard, a floatiing chandelier, and an asparagus stalk who walk into bar.


Oh yes, much better to have the short fat drunk, the aloof beanstalk that's better than everyone else, and the big dumb brute. Also the beanstalk and the drunk have some animosity because of something that happened like 50 years ago that nobody cares about anymore. Far more srs.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

Oh yes, much better to have the short fat drunk, the aloof beanstalk that's better than everyone else, and the big dumb brute. Also the beanstalk and the drunk have some animosity because of something that happened like 50 years ago that nobody cares about anymore. Far more srs.



Sounds like more a problem with players who play boring characters or even generic settings than the races themselves. Take the Videogame Dragon Age as an example, Elves are a underclass that are used for slave labor and Dwarves are a bunch of lying cheating murderous politicians, but they are still Elves and Dwarves.
as you are a fuzzy muppet, a pink lizard, a floatiing chandelier, and an asparagus stalk who walk into bar.



Do these actually correspond to races in 4e, or are you just using hyperbole?

Nevertheless, the thing is that....who are you to tell me what I can and cannot play? That's not confrontational or anything; I've created a few monsterous characters simply because they seemed like fun race/class combos with strong backstory potential.

To give an example, I've created 18 NPCs for my Eberron game to supplement the party if a player is out. 4 of them are "monsterous" races; a Goblin, a Bugbear, a Minotaur, and a Gnoll. I have goals, backstory, and personality for each of them.

Why is it a bad thing if they fight alongside party members? 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

 

Defenders: We ARE the wall!

 

I've replaced the previous Edition Warring line in my sig with this one, because honestly, everybody needs to work together to make the D&D they like without trampling on somebody else's D&D.

 

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

 

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Humanity is pretty darn diverse already.  And as a previous poster stated, most characters in fantasy works happen to be human.

To that end, I find it silly that races are used as a replacement for cultures.  And to be fair, a lot of the different monsterous races exist because of the level curve.  Goblins are there for level 1 adventurers to fight.  Orcs are just level 2 goblins.  Ogres are level 3-4 goblins.  I'd prefer to see more use of the races we have instead of trying to find a pidgeon hole for everything that has ever been made to live in.

Eberron for example stated, "If it exists in D&D then there's a place for it in Eberron."  I found that philosophy to be completely silly.  It's like taking the universe of Warhammer 40k and piling it all into one continent.  If these really were different races and not just humans with different cultures, we would get a "purge the xenos" endless war, but since no one can step outside their own backyard without stepping on a Gith, a Sun Elf, or a sahuagin, nations would all be the size of Luxembourg.
Experienced gamer. D&D 3.x, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Dark Heresy, GURPS, various WW games, and more. Currently running Savage Worlds set in Eberron.


Should Not Keep:
Arbitrary Roles and Power Sources. 
Not Every fighter needs to be a defender, not every wizard needs to be a controller, etc.  Fighter can be strikers, Wizards can be leaders, let let players decide what they want thier characer to do.  Also, Power Sources have got to go.  This is one of the things that made 4e so repetitive, Trying to fill a role for every power source, no one cares that monks are psychic and avengers are divine, they both do about the same darn thing!



Characters are not aware of their class.  People need to get over this.  My Ranger (class) can call himself a Fighter if he wants.  My Arcane Leader (Artificer or Bard) can call himself a Wizard if he wants.  Refluff the powers and there you go.  This is already in the system, people just need to be more flexible and embrace reflavoring.

Strangley Streamlined Skill System. 
Make Skills fun, if a certain skill doesn't fit under the definition for  the name of the skill, don't try to pigeonhole it into the skill for the sake of brevity (I build houses using dungeoneering, really?)   But on the other hand we have three skills for talking to people (Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate).


You build houses by building a house.  The skill system is to resolve conflict, and there's no conflict or opposition in building a house.  You just build it.

Cartoony Base Races
Pretty much self explanitory, this is veering into personal taste here, but I don't need lots of Animal-human hybrid races, demonic races, Talking plants, Sentient Rocks, or Purple Angel races, these should be handles in campaign suppliments, make PHB races more generic what's wrong with Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs?


Since we're in personal taste, what's wrong with them is they're boring, trite, and some of us have been playing this game for decades and we're simply sick of them.  We would like something new.

Every Class Straightjacketed into same Power Progression  
Wizards can get a lot of stuff that scales slower.  Fighters and Barbarians can get a few key abilities that you can customize. Clerics can get heals and Buffs. Sorcerors can perhaps recharge stuff they've already used. Psions can either meter thier abilities out over time or blow it all in one Huge strike, endless variations here people.


Unbalanced variations, you mean.  The unified power structure was one of the best things 4e did.

Saving throws being 50/50 chances.
Yeah, vary it up a bit, if i am playing Huge burly Barbarian, he should shrug off poison easier than my lil twitchy Rogue.         
    


Your Barbarian already does shrug off poison better than your Rogue, because the Barbarian has a high Fortitude defense.  Saving Throws are not a resistance mechanic, they are a duration mechanic and replace the bookkeeping of 'counting down 2d4 rounds' from previous editions.

Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Keep:
-Healing surges. Seriously, taking clerics back to being the groups healer, would suck.
-Standard, move and minor actions for what you can do in a round.
-Interurpts and reaction.
-Keep defenses being modified by one of two abilities.
-MINIONS I love them so much. Maybe add more kinds, like Henchmen, take two hits to kill.

Loose:
-Racial ability bonus' or make them more versitile. One fixed ability to bonus to respent a races natural tendicies towards that, and then one free floating bonus. This way it opens up the idea that any race could be any class.
-Builds. Rather then builds, make the classes the basic. Use feats to allow players to then make builds as they see fit. When you picked a build, it often made sense to pick those powers that gave you more if you were that build, making your ability to customize smaller. Instead allow feats to alter the basic powers of a class to reflect the build they want.

Alter:
-Give multiple options on how a power/ability works. Not all powers, but some certainly could be done in a way that increases what a player can do.
-At-will, Encounter, Daily. Either do away, and replace with a point cost, once out of points can't use anymore powers till you replenish. Or more at will powers as you level up, and less Encounter/daily powers. Adjust power for encounter and daily up.

Return:
-Powers that scale as you level up. Not all, but certainly some.


Keep:
-Unified power progression. I like my wizard useful at low levels, my fighter useful at high levels, and my paladin useful ever.
-Lessened focus on Constitution. Making CON not add to HP every level made it a lot less of a focus stat for people, and freed up a lot of stat points.
-Point buy. It's a good way to have customization without unbalancing the game. If you need to tweak it to fit the new rules, that's fine.
-Healing surges. With a little tweak here or there, this is a great system for getting that balance between "5-minute workday" and "what is this 'sleep' you speak of?"
-The "XP Pool" encounter design system. As a DM, having a way to bring in several monsters without much effort was great. Also, minions are a nice touch for a "big epic battle" feel.
-Nonmechanical alignment. Detect Evil and its ilk were among my biggest pet peeves in earlier editions. Now you have to figure out someone's evil by seeing them do evil stuff. Wonderful.
-Monster Manual races. I liked being able to bring in playable kobolds/goblins/whathaveyou easily without them stinking up the PHB for the people who don't want them. Though a little more love for them would be nice (perhaps a Savage Races book to expand on them?).
-Critical hit mechanics. Maximized damage plus Other Stuff was a great way to do this.
-Multiple choice defenses. My strong-willed guy doesn't need a lick of common sense? Awesome. The 3.X method made this common archetype require special feats.
-Combined skills. No more spending all of your skill allotment getting good at several aspects of a single thing.

Drop:
-Nonscaling Powers. Having powers that amounted to higher ranks of previous ones was a waste of space. You can trust us with a little bit of math during level-ups.
-Roles tied into classes. If you want to keep roles around, use them as a guideline for powers. If a class concept is "like X, but a striker," just give X some striker-themed options.
-Racial attribute bonuses. Yes, I know, blasphemy. I'd prefer it if they made dwarves tough by giving them tough powers, rather than a Con bonus. Flavor without unbalancing the game.
-+X weapons. Double blasphemy. As with the last point, put your design efforts into making each magic item do something interesting, instead of being a "stat-stick." +2 swords are just nice, but flaming swords are awesome.
-Scads of classes. I'd love to see the game have a few core classes, with a lot of options that emulate similar classes from previous editions.

Change:
-Core races. I move we get back closer to the AD&D standards (with Orcs replacing their hybrids. Progressive!), and allow the more "exotic" races to exist in campaign settings and PHB2+.
-Adventure difficulty. Have guidelines for making the game easier or harder, and include an indicator of the difficulty on premade adventures. Have the options be Beginner, Intermediate, Difficult, and Gygax.
-Skill restrictions. I want my wizard to be a sneaky little bastard without having to take the Sneaky Little Bastard optional background thingy. Or maybe just loosen up the rules on the aforementioned Optional Background Thingy.
-Alignment. Nine squares or no squares. I don't care which, but don't cut it out halfway and call it compromise.
-Social encounters. Bluff/Diplomacy/etc. are a very handwavy way to do things, and set DCs are prone to "normal people suck, or diplomancers are unstoppable" binary nonsense. Put a little more effort into it.
Rhymes with Bruce

Loose:
-Racial ability bonus' or make them more versitile. One fixed ability to bonus to respent a races natural tendicies towards that, and then one free floating bonus. This way it opens up the idea that any race could be any class.



I just suggested this in another thread.  Maybe humans get +2 to str/con/dex and +2 to wis/int/cha.

I also truly hope they keep that no race gets a stat penalty.  That was one of the biggest sacred cows they killed with 4E that needs to stay dead.


Cartoony Base Races
Pretty much self explanitory, this is veering into personal taste here, but I don't need lots of Animal-human hybrid races, demonic races, Talking plants, Sentient Rocks, or Purple Angel races, these should be handles in campaign suppliments, make PHB races more generic what's wrong with Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Humans, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs?



Since we're in personal taste, what's wrong with them is they're boring, trite, and some of us have been playing this game for decades and we're simply sick of them.  We would like something new.




I don't think Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, etc. are any more boring or trite than Wizards, Fighters, Rogues, and Clerics.  Your argument that unusual races should be included in the 5ePHB1 is easily morphed into including unusual classes as well.  I'd prefer we start with the basics and build up from there.  I think everyone who picks up the basic book should expect the standard trope for starters.

In 4e, most races really just reduced to a skin, two stat modifiers, and a single special ability (and the ability to fish through the feat tables for some small advantages)  I think it would be far more interesting to make some meaningful differences in how the core races play (beyond those that matter to a min/maxer) rather than making up new skins for the sake of some fake variety.  How cool would it be if a halfling rogue actually played significantly differently from a human rogue at first level, in the vanilla rules? (at least in some situations)  The trick in my mind is to avoid the high level of starting complexity of the earlier editions.  (How many racial abilities and modifiers did a 1st edition Elf get at first level?)   I think that's what they were attempting when they pushed small racial mods out to the feat tables, but that really just added to the rules bloat that turned 4e into a character builder-only game...
Also when everyone is a strange monster then it's harder to take a story seriously, as you are a fuzzy muppet, a pink lizard, a floatiing chandelier, and an asparagus stalk who walk into bar.




Sounds like more a problem with players who play boring characters or even generic settings than the races themselves.


Uncanny...

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Keep:
Concise Skills List

Do Not Keep:
Roles / Role Labels
Powers / Power Sources
Healing Surges
Magic Items (as they are in 4E)
Cosmology (take it back to the Wheel)
The Safety Net (more risk/hardcore mode, less padding/easy mode)
Skinny Halflings (bring back the portly "hobbit" halflings or at least have two varieties, one hobbit-like, the other well, as they are now)

Though, quite honestly, if the game is going to be modular, it isn't so much that these things shouldn't be in the game, I just would prefer to not see them as Core components. As modules I see no reason they can't be added on.
When it comes to races: I think 4e PHB got it about right: 5 standard races (Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Dwarves, Halflings), 2 unusals (Dragonborn and Tiefling) and one kind of unusal, yet familiar (Eladrin).
The more "cartoony" races appeared in PHB2 and 3, caimpaign settings, Dragon Magazine, etc. Sounds reasonable to me.

I admit, I really opposed Dragonborn when 4e was about to come out. Ended up loving them.


Also: keep the gnomes! The best gnomes EVER!
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
Keep
Healing surges
Useful noncasters
Concise skill list

Do Not Keep
OVERSIZED DUAL-WIELDING
HORRIBAD SCYTHE
FETHING CRAPGNOMES 
The problem with crazy races like the purple angels and rock men are that they really don't fit into existing DnD campaigns and home games.  It's a completely new start.  And when they're introduced into the core rules, it's hard to ignore that they're there or disallow players from playing them.   Why alienate so many old players that way?

Course, the issue now is, since they're here, you could hardly just do away with them.  The current campaigns people are playing now have them in there.  Can't release a new edition and not include them, as people who complained about how long it took the monk to be released will agree.

I would like them to get rid of healing surges or at least for most classes, I would be fine with the barbarian having healing surges or a monk but for spell casters that dont heal it feels out of place. I think it would be best if not every character could heal them self. I think that potions / wands should fill this role.

 The idea of at will/encounter/daily that every thing must fit in to one of those boxes or its not a combat ability should leave us as well imo.
Should keep
 non alignment deal on paladins
all calsses get the same bab
no more favored classes
 character themes
 bladesinger        
swordmage
thechampion of corellon larithian
various class builds(ie the witch in the feywild book)

should get rid off
warlock
warden    
invoker
seeker
warlord         
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I like if the monsters and the player characters have the same stats and same rules.

the players in 4E are too powerfull, and have a lot of unnecessary and ''not real''  resources.
the power of the players shoud be slightly  higher of a monster of the same level.
working as a group they can make a difference. 

i like to see in the tree books the vary basic races and classes well explored, and feel real about it.
less magic in the world

i want to feel playng in Song of ice and fire and in Eragon ou Lotr. 
Keep:

Humanoid races (humans, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, elves, etc) from PHB1 and PHB2, along with minotaurs and githzerai and shadar-kai, and add githyanki to the list.  Hamadryads, satyrs, and pixies are fine additions, too.

Do not keep:

Wilden and Shardmind
once i play with a halfling ranger in 3.5, named Tosco, and he was fatty, gluttonous and coward.
he was the guide of the group of adventurers and use a bow because its sise.
is pretty fun... and he was not a BADASS
 
Do away with:

Multi-classing Feats: I did not like the multi-classing rules of 4th edition at all.  It cost too many feats to fully multiclass and the rewards vs. cost were not balances (aka too costly). 
The problem with crazy races like the purple angels and rock men are that they really don't fit into existing DnD campaigns and home games.  It's a completely new start.  And when they're introduced into the core rules, it's hard to ignore that they're there or disallow players from playing them.   Why alienate so many old players that way?


Because anybody alienated by having extra options is stupid. Like legit.
Here are the games possible with tolkien only: Tolkien only.
Here are the games possible with tolkien and fun races: Tolkien only; fun races only; carte blanche.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9CjeZ1Mod0&t=0m... 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
The problem with crazy races like the purple angels and rock men are that they really don't fit into existing DnD campaigns and home games.  It's a completely new start.  And when they're introduced into the core rules, it's hard to ignore that they're there or disallow players from playing them.   Why alienate so many old players that way?


Because anybody alienated by having extra options is stupid. Like legit.
Here are the games possible with tolkien only: Tolkien only.
Here are the games possible with tolkien and fun races: Tolkien only; fun races only; carte blanche.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9CjeZ1Mod0&t=0m... 



Did you like the Forgotten Realms in 3.5?  I know I did.  I know a lot of people did.  And I liked the Forgotten Realms in AD&D too. 

Did you like the Forgotten Realms in 4.0?  I didn't.  I know a lot of people didn't.  And I don't see a way to recover from it.

Why did the FR get all messed up?  Because they had to explain the existance of dragonborn, devas, tieflings, and eladrin. 

I'm not saying no to awesome races.  The Monster Manual is full of them.  They exist in DnD already.  Why not rules to incorporate things like pixies, satyrs, etc?  Half-giants.  It doesn't have to be Tolkien only player races. 

Keep:

Common Progression for all characters:   The single best thing 4e did was to balance classes by giving all characters resource-management parity.  A single progression also retains the improvement 3e made in putting all characters on the same level advancement table.  That progression could include dailies for all, or have daily powers for none, though.   

Healing Surges:   Moving healing resources from Clerics to individual characters makes the Cleric at once less powerful and less central, but also much more fun and playable.  It also opened up the 'Leader' role.

Roles:  Leader, Defender, & Striker.

Sources:  Martial, Divine, Primal.   These sources capture the heroic archetypes of the fantasy genre.  Martial is of particular importance, as the most prevelent archetypes are of that nature.  The breadth of powers and abilities available to the Martial archetypes needs to be expanded to achieve an maintain parity with other sources.

Finite, adventure-focused Skill List.  (Open-ended skill lists seem like they should enhance customizeability, but they'er a design trap that only creates incompetence in everyone else everytime someone dreams up a new skill).

Options that expand choice, not power:  Themes are an example of exactly what's right and wrong with this:  When you take a Theme, you get a number of power swap options as you level up.  That's good and should be kept.  More things - like multiclassing and races and backgrounds - should work that way.

Dump:

Stacking Un-named bonuses:  All bonuses should be named.  The number of named bonuses should be small and should be fixed.  Un-named bonuses, if they slip through, should be entirely non-stacking. 

Role:  Controller.  It's just a stalking horse for do-everything god-wizards, an excuse to give some casters excessively potent powers.  Could be retained if solid /feature/ support for the role could be devised. 

Sources:  Arcane (far too broad and undefined a source, cut it up into 'Elemental,' 'Enchantment,' 'Illusion,' 'Shadow,' and others).  Psionic (a science fiction trope, not a fantasy one).

The 4e Treadmill:  4e achieved some encounter balance by pegging monsters to a +/1 level standard (AC, checks, defenses), and doing the same for players through a combination of +1/2 per level automatic progression, stat boosts, enhancement bonuses, the masterwork armor kludge, expertise feat taxes, and other miscellaneous bonuses you have to sift the system to get.  Enforced powergaming for the sake of treading water.  A standard progression - say an 'unamed,' non-stacking +1/level to everything - with the option of powergaming and accumulating and stacking bonuses to actually maybe /pull ahead/ of that standard a bit at times - might be better.  Dropping the progression entirely, and making monsters and PCs tougher only in terms of hps and damage potential as they level up, with attack and defense bonus increases being few and far between would also be an option. 

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

 

 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Love:


  • Expanded defenses (fortitude, reflex, will)

  • Tightened skills (stealth instead of move silently & hide in shadows)

  • Power format, but only for spell casters (classes can be balanced without so many power options, like the knight or the slayer)

  • Subclasses (ranger:hunter is better than a seeker, IMO)

  • Action Points/Milestones


Dislike:



  • Magic Items (too many to sift through with a huge amount of lackluster junk, and too important to leveling up)

  • Feats (again, too many to sift through with lots of choices that seem lackluster. Also, too hard to have to focus on attack and defense bonuses.)

  • Power format for noncasters

  • Multi-classing structure

  • increasing level based modifiers

  • a lack of character death


A lot of things have been brought up that I'm still on the fence about. Saving throws and healing in particular, I've never had strong feelings for one way or the other. I do love my racial options, but I understand the need for keeping it a little more basic. My biggest complaints have been that the classes feel to "cookie-cutter" to me with everyone having the same power block progression. I really enjoyed having essentials shake that up. I think the powers worked great for casters, and I'd love to see some of the "minor casters" (like rangers and paladins in older editions) get a reduced version of this. I just don't feel it necessary for every class to get the same progression of powers. Feats bug me more because I feel the need to focus on attack and defence based feats to keep up with the encounters, and I feel like I am missing out on some of the more interesting ones because it is such a limited resource. This makes multiclassing in particular a problem because both forms have the need for feats to be spent on them to make them work properly.

Why did the FR get all messed up?  Because they had to explain the existance of dragonborn, devas, tieflings, and eladrin. 

I'm not saying no to awesome races.  The Monster Manual is full of them.  They exist in DnD already.  Why not rules to incorporate things like pixies, satyrs, etc?  Half-giants.  It doesn't have to be Tolkien only player races. 



This.  I'm reading up on Eberron (3.5) and it's easily straining my suspension of disbelief as it is.  Human cultures can be vastly different already.  But in Eberron there's 3 different cultures of elf (Arenal, Valenar, then integrated).  Halflings have two different cultures.  Then there's the rest of the 'standard' races.  Then there's Shifters, Changelings (which have the potential to really screw everything up), and Warforged, and Khalishtar.  Oh, and the goblinoid and monsterious races are allowed to walk through the streets so long as they behave themselves, so bugbears, goblins, kobolds, orcs, and even ogres too are all allowed to be a part of city life.  This leads to...

You encounter a random NPC.  What race is he?  Does he differ from the many racial stereotypes in any way?  Likely not.  He becomes just like every other NPC of that race.

Then in some of the extra books the writers go on to add half-giants, drow, and a crapload of other potentially playable races.  There's just too many races out there and most of them barely exist just to reflect some kind of culture that could be done by humans but isn't.  Sure, it's fantasy and there can be different races, but humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings take up plenty of space.  Don't need half-orcs, gnomes, tieflings, etc all with some niche they may never even come up in play.

Eberron is supposed to be a gritty world full of many shades of gray, where people may not be what they appear.  But with race tied to nationality, how does one write a character as a turncoat to his race as well as his nation without being card-board cutout evil or just outright stupid?  How is one supposed to demonstrate the differences in the races without violating typical conventions (like Dwarves love beer) every step of the way just to demonstrate this gray concept?
Experienced gamer. D&D 3.x, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Dark Heresy, GURPS, various WW games, and more. Currently running Savage Worlds set in Eberron.
The problem with crazy races like the purple angels and rock men are that they really don't fit into existing DnD campaigns and home games.  It's a completely new start.  And when they're introduced into the core rules, it's hard to ignore that they're there or disallow players from playing them.   Why alienate so many old players that way?


Because anybody alienated by having extra options is stupid. Like legit.
Here are the games possible with tolkien only: Tolkien only.
Here are the games possible with tolkien and fun races: Tolkien only; fun races only; carte blanche.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9CjeZ1Mod0&t=0m... 



Did you like the Forgotten Realms in 3.5?  I know I did.  I know a lot of people did.  And I liked the Forgotten Realms in AD&D too. 

Did you like the Forgotten Realms in 4.0?  I didn't.  I know a lot of people didn't.  And I don't see a way to recover from it.

Why did the FR get all messed up?  Because they had to explain the existance of dragonborn, devas, tieflings, and eladrin. 

I'm not saying no to awesome races.  The Monster Manual is full of them.  They exist in DnD already.  Why not rules to incorporate things like pixies, satyrs, etc?  Half-giants.  It doesn't have to be Tolkien only player races. 




FR isn't tolkien, it had tieflings and dragon/dinosaur people before, and is also the origin of the Thri-Kreen (DS simply made them a major race).
I'd much rather have significantly different races, like plants, rocks, angles, devils, elementals, pixies.
Then homogonious human, pointy ear human who like trees, short bearded humans who like dirt, child size humans, (gnomes are good), and ugly angry humans.


Also, loose attack rolls (or damage rolls).  Rolling 2 sets of dice to see what happened is exsessive.

Agreed on both counts.

The main issue with WOTC's races in 4e was how they were presented. Think about how much cooler it would have been to play 2e Draconians vs. 4e Dragonborn.

If y'all don't understand the difference, or just yell "refluff!" then you're missing the point. Draconians are cooler and capture the imagination, where a bunch of people that look like dragons - but hate dragons - do not.



Did you like the Forgotten Realms in 3.5?  I know I did.  I know a lot of people did.  And I liked the Forgotten Realms in AD&D too. 


Dunno, don't really care about the default lore, just whatever backstory the campaign has, and when I DM worldbuilding is one of my favorite things to do, so yeah.
Did you like the Forgotten Realms in 4.0?  I didn't.  I know a lot of people didn't.  And I don't see a way to recover from it.


See above, but if it's the origin of Devas and Thri-Kreen, aparently I did. 

Why did the FR get all messed up?  Because they had to explain the existance of dragonborn, devas, tieflings, and eladrin. 


"There are dragonborn, devas and eladrin, they're magic." Took me like thirty seconds. Or just have em be from another plane altogether, WotC's messing with the lore of an established setting can hardly be blamed on the new races. Like, if a chef walks up to you and is all "I just made this lemon meringue pie," then throws it in your face and ruins the fancy gala you were attending, you wouldn't direct your ire towards the pie, would you?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.