Dreamwalker optimization

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trying to find the best things to do with the Dreamwalker PP's Manifest Dream Form in early/mid Paragon.

Manifest Dream Form

Manifest Dream Form

A hazy image of yourself, your dream form manifests nearby.

At-Will        Conjuration, Psionic
Free Action      Close burst 10
Trigger: You spend 1 power point or more to augment a psionic power

Effect: You conjure your dream form in an unoccupied square in the burst. It lasts until you fall unconscious, until you dismiss it as a minor action, or until you use this power again. Your dream form occupies its square, and you and your allies can move through it. When you take a move action, you can also move your dream form a number of squares equal to your speed. You can see and hear as if you were in your dream form’s square, and you can use powers as if you were there. Your dream form can flank with your allies, and you gain combat advantage against any target your dream form is flanking. Your dream form can be attacked, although it lacks hit points. If it takes any damage, it disappears. It is immune to your attacks.

I'm assuming this will be via a Psion|? hybrid in order to have enough power points to keep the Dream Form around, and I'd love to find a way to make it work as a functional defender, either via Swordmage (probably Ensnaring) or Fighter -- incidentally, the internets seem to have some disagreement on whether or not things like Opportunity Attacks and defender mark enforcement can be used from the Dream Form's square, so any thoughts there are welcome, too.

Apart from obvious things (like "use close bursts") and things covered in the various handbooks (like Dimensional Scramble abuse), does anybody have any Dreamwalker-specific ideas?  Not looking for a full build or anything, but any synergies I may have missed would be appreciated.
Note that your conjuration must be withing 10 square of you or it disapears at the end of your turn.
I made this with a similar idea, as well as have a little handbook about firing around corners.

Lure of Iron + dreamform is pretty funny.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Note that your conjuration must be withing 10 square of you or it disapears at the end of your turn.
I made this with a similar idea, as well as have a little handbook about firing around corners.

I don't get the Lure of Iron thing...what would that do?

Also: would it work for a Psion|Fighter to MC Paladin via Squire of Righteousness (to gain Defender Aura) and use Martial Readiness to gain the Knight's Battle Guardian power, or does that fail because it doesn't have a level?  Conjuring a fully-functional ghost Knight seems pretty sweet...
Also: would it work for a Psion|Fighter to MC Paladin via Squire of Righteousness (to gain Defender Aura) and use Martial Readiness to gain the Knight's Battle Guardian power, or does that fail because it doesn't have a level?  Conjuring a fully-functional ghost Knight seems pretty sweet...

Not a single Knight stance can be poached, as none of them have levels.  The only way to do it is to Paragon Multiclass Fighter due to the wording... though why you'd do so is anyone's guess.

Not a single Knight stance can be poached, as none of them have levels.

Thought so...that's how I was reading it (but I've certainly been wrong before).

I don't get the Lure of Iron thing...what would that do?

Nothing....

Lodestone Lure on the other hand (+some good positioning)...  Keeps people immobilized at a distance.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Lodestone Lure on the other hand (+some good positioning)...  Keeps people immobilized at a distance.

Battlemind could be interesting, I suppose...I'd really love to get some kind of defender mark enforcement coming from the Dream Form and a strong enough mark to make attacking him the best option, and I've always understood that to be the Battlemind's weakest point.  Maybe Battlemind|Fighter/MC Psion?  Will have to take another look at the Battlemind guide...it's been a while, and I've only ever built them to be strikers.

Battlemind could be interesting, I suppose...I'd really love to get some kind of defender mark enforcement coming from the Dream Form and a strong enough mark to make attacking him the best option, and I've always understood that to be the Battlemind's weakest point.  Maybe Battlemind|Fighter/MC Psion?  Will have to take another look at the Battlemind guide...it's been a while, and I've only ever built them to be strikers.

Battleminds don't have any MBA.  So enemies can just walk away without much issue.

Mind spike also isn't the strongest, but it's still works.  Doing it from a distance would be a nice boon.

So yea, battlemind don't have the best marking features.  But they do have some awsome powers.

Plus, more PP then say... a fighter.

guides
Power
my builds

Psion | Shielding Swordmage works pretty well without needing an MC - since you don't have to be close to your marked target in order to punish, it's essentially another control tool after level 11.  Plus it works pretty well whether you pick Con or Cha/Wis as your 2ndary, although the latter probably push you strongly towards Greater Aegis of Shielding.
Psion | Shielding Swordmage works pretty well without needing an MC - since you don't have to be close to your marked target in order to punish, it's essentially another control tool after level 11.  Plus it works pretty well whether you pick Con or Cha/Wis as your 2ndary, although the latter probably push you strongly towards Greater Aegis of Shielding.

It would work well, but i don't see how that makes much use of Dreamwalker?

guides
Power
my builds

Using the Aegis of Shielding power through your Dream Form allows you great latitude in placing your  burst (which is particularly nice with Double/Total Aegis), while Swordmage Warding does a great job of keeping your Dream Form alive.  Dream Form / Sword Burst / Mindiron Blade / Psychic Lock is also nice for its party-friendly nature.  Also, according to CS, powers that trigger off adjacency to you (notably Frigid/Booming Blade) will work with Dream Form - which, if you're going Int/Con, can be pretty nice if you essentially immobilize someone next to nothing but your Dream Form.
I believe the dreamform cannot "threaten" a square and take OA's if an enemy adjacent to the conjuration decided to shoot or move...
You cannot take regular OAs because moving away from a conjuration doesn't trigger an OA.

However, if you hit them with Frigid Blade, you're Int/Con, and the Dream Form lives until the beginning of their turn, then by the time you're level 16 they probably aren't going anywhere.
You cannot take regular OAs because moving away from a conjuration doesn't trigger an OA. However, if you hit them with Frigid Blade, you're Int/Con, and the Dream Form lives until the beginning of their turn, then by the time you're level 16 they probably aren't going anywhere.

... except if they start adjacent to your Dream Form, they're not starting their turn adjacent to you - you can see, hear, and attack from its square, but you aren't considered to be in that square.
It doesn't say "attack," tho - it says "you can use powers as if you were there." If one treats use as applying to both attack and effect, it works - which is essentially what the CS reply I linked to earlier got at.
You cannot take regular OAs because moving away from a conjuration doesn't trigger an OA.

What about things like Combat Challenge or Mind Spike (which are actual powers, as opposed to regular Opportunity Attacks which, as I understand it, are not)?  That should still work if triggered next to the Dream Form, no?  Granted, they could simply walk away before doing whatever they were going to do, so I'd need to find some way to prevent that.

What about things like Combat Challenge or Mind Spike (which are actual powers, as opposed to regular Opportunity Attacks which, as I understand it, are not)?  That should still work if triggered next to the Dream Form, no?  Granted, they could simply walk away before doing whatever they were going to do, so I'd need to find some way to prevent that.

Debateable, since they both say "adjacent to you".

guides
Power
my builds

I don't think there is a debate at all.  While you might be able to see, hear, and attack from the Dream Form's square, you do not exist in that square - therefore creatures adjacent to your Dream Form are not adjacent to you.  A simple rewording of "You also occupy your Dream Form's square" would replicate the original wording while also giving you adjacency to everyone next to your Dream Form.
I don't think there is a debate at all.  While you might be able to see, hear, and attack from the Dream Form's square, you do not exist in that square - therefore creatures adjacent to your Dream Form are not adjacent to you.  A simple rewording of "You also occupy your Dream Form's square" would replicate the original wording while also giving you adjacency to everyone next to your Dream Form.

"you can use powers as if you were there."  may be more specific then "you must be adjacent".

Debatable. 

guides
Power
my builds

Also, looking at the CS response that SonsofNorthWind linked to: "The Dream form is considered you, so yes it is an ally."

Not to get all metaphysical, but if the Dream Form *is* me, then it seems like all of the conditions would be met, no?
"The Dream form is considered you, so yes it is an ally."
This sentence is self-contradictory, since (in normal circumstances) you are not your ally.
Yeah, I think there's a missed concept in what the CS rep says at that point about allies.  I think they are answering the question about whether allies adjacent to the Dream Form trigger Rock and a Hard Place, i.e. are allies adjacent to Dream Form considered adjacent to you for purposes of triggering stance punishment. 

Duelist

You do not exist in that square.  However, as long as it is in the context of using a power, you are treated as if you were.  Your occupying your Dream Form's square would presumably require additional explanation to avoid allowing you to be struck through that square.  Again, the wording is not "you can attack from there", it is "you can use powers as if you were there." 

To put the burden on you, how would you justify referring to the Dream Form's ability as "using a power as if you were there" if it used a power whose Hit line said "If the target starts its next turn adjacent to you, it takes a penalty to speed equal to your Constitution modifier until the end of its next turn" but you didn't think the Hit line applied to an enemy adjacent to the Dream Form?
To put the burden on you, how would you justify referring to the Dream Form's ability as "using a power as if you were there" if it used a power whose Hit line said "If the target starts its next turn adjacent to you, it takes a penalty to speed equal to your Constitution modifier until the end of its next turn" but you didn't think the Hit line applied to an enemy adjacent to the Dream Form?

Even if the former were true (which I am still very sketchy on admitting it to be so), Booming Blade definitely wouldn't work - you're not "using" a power (as defined), you're checking if a trigger point of a power was satisfied, in this case being an enemy starting adjacent to you.  This trigger point cannot be satisfied by your Dream Form being adjacent to it and not you, as you do not occupy the Dream Form's square and cannot comply with adjacency.  

I don't know which "the former" you are referring to is... are you referring to the Warlord interpretation?  Yeah, that's kinda sketchy, but it's the only thing I can figure the CS rep is saying in context.  Or something else?

The CS rep seems to be interpreting the sentence as a whole and understanding the use of the word "use" colloquially - checking not just the initiation point of the power but all continuing location references found in the power, as seen in allowing the stance effect of A Rock and a Hard Place to be triggered by enemies adjacent to the Dream Form.  I agree that if we are reading the sentence under dream form as "you can" + "use powers" (where use powers = technical definition roughly equivalent to "initiate power" as found on p 54 PHB) + "as if you were there" then many such applications break down, definitely including the Swordmage proximity-triggered at-wills.

I know CS gets a lot of grief on these forums.  Maybe their ruling on this should be cited as another cause to give them grief instead of a reasonable interpretation of the Dream Form's language.
Sign In to post comments