UR Delver Burn Suggestions Needed

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, so I'm creating a new deck and need some piece of advice.

Already removed a lot of counterspells and card draw, as it felt way too "controlling" for my taste. But I still really need some suggestions on how to improve it. 

Currently this is what I've got:

Main - 60
Creatures - 10
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x Grim Lavamancer  

Instants - 16
3x Brimstone Volley
3x Incinerate 
3x Shock
2x Mana Leak
2x Dissipate
3x Think Twice     

Sorceries - 10
3x Arc Trail
2x Devil's Play (Rarely get to cast it for more than 3, so maybe I should add 1x more of both Incinerate and Brimstone Volley instead?)
2x Gitaxian Probe
3x Ponder    

Lands - 21
8x Island 
9x Mountain
4x Sulfur Falls  

Other - 3
3x Chandra, the Firebrand (Never seem to get to use her properly [mostly only 1x her +1 and sometimes also her -2], so don't know if she's worth it? She does absorb some dmg after all.)  

Sideboard - 15
1x Grim Lavamancer
2x Inferno Titan (Can't really tell if they're needed?)
2x Ancient Grudge (No flashback, but fuels Grim Lavamancer. Bu maybe Manic Vandal is better?)
2x Turn to Frog (Owns Wurmcoil Engine and other biggies.)
4x Vapor Snag 
2x Into the Maw of Hell (Seems good vs Inkmoths and that kind.)
2x Rolling Temblor (Maybe not needed, if I get more Arc Trails?)

Hope you can help me out This is going to be somewhat of a budget deck, so keep that in mind.      
Autocarding helps.  {c}Forest{/c} = Forest or {deck}1x Forest{/deck} =
1 x Forest
.  Replace the {} with [].  Spelling counts.

[deck]4x Delver of Secrets
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x Grim Lavamancer

3x Brimstone Volley
3x Incinerate
3x Shock
2x Mana Leak
2x Dissipate
3x Think Twice

3x Arc Trail
2x Devil's Play
2x Gitaxian Probe
3x Ponder

3x Chandra, the Firebrand

8x Island
9x Mountain
4x Sulfur Falls[/deck]

Sideboard
[deck]1x Grim Lavamancer
2x Inferno Titan
2x Ancient Grudge
2x Turn to Frog
4x Vapor Snag
2x Into the Maw of Hell
2x Rolling Temblor[/deck]

Your creatures looks fine, thought it'd be better if there was a few Snapcaster Mages in there instead of the Lavamancers.  I doubt that's in the budget though.

The burn package looks fine, though there should probably be Gut Shots or Geistflames instead of the Arc Trails.  Arc Trail is a great sideboard card to bring in against weenie decks and Illusions.  Most of the time you want the 1-mana burn spells to deal with the many, many X/1 creatures in the format.  Devil's Play should probably be cut or moved into the sideboard.  I don't think you can make it pay off that often.  It'd put in more of the other burn spells instead.

The counter package doesn't look too good.  I'd probably cut all the Dissipates and make them Mana Leaks.  Hitting UU on turn 3 isn't going to be easy, and you probably don't want to leave 3 mana up then anyway.

The draw package is ok, but I'd probably just cut the Gitaxian Probes for another Think Twice and another Ponder.  You don't get much advantage from knowing what they have.  You'll counter anything that kills your creatures and burn anything that hits the board, regardless of what they might be holding.

Chandra is only ok.  The pinging isn't going to be relevant, and the replicate ablility is likily only a few more points of damage.  Maybe Koth of the Hammer would be better.  Or possibly some more lands.

I think you might be a little light on lands.  RDW gets away with running so few lands because they don't have many high casting cost spells and the don't have to leave mana open for counters.  You should probably go up to 24 lands total.

The sideboard is pretty horrible.  Turn to Frog will only help 2-for-1 yourself.  Vapor Snag is ok, but you could just burn the creature to kill it, especially with only 4 counters.  Into the Maw of Hell is just terrible.  You should have won the game by turn 6, and killing an Inkmoth that late against Wolf Run (the only deck that will let you hang around that long) is going to be pointless.  Rolling Tremblor should just be Slagstorm.

Instead of all that, you should probably have another Ancient Grudge, some Nihil Spellbombs (for any deck packing Snapcaster Mage), some Shrine of Burning Rage (might be mainboard too) and the Arc Trails.  You could also pack in some Devil's Play (or Fireball if there's a lot of Illusions in your metagame).  If you're really worried about the special lands (mainly Moorland Haunt since you can burn Inkmoths), pack some Ghost Quarters.
Thank you for the suggestions and the auto-carding tutorial!

Yeah, the Snapcaster Mage is an overpriced card I won't buy at the moment - I'm not planning on winning tournaments, I play for fun.

I used to have Geistflames, but thought Shock or Galvanic Blast was better - Added some again.

Got Ghost Quarters, but no, I dont actually think I need them. 

I've completely removed Chandra, the Firebrand and Devil's Play as I don't think I will have the mana to support that combo. Koth of the Hammer and Shrine of Burning Rage is great for mono red, but I don't like to play them in this deck.

Updated the deck to this:

Main - 60
Creatures - 10
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x Grim Lavamancer

Instants - 22
x Brimstone Volley
4x Incinerate
3x Geistflame
3x Shock
4x Mana Leak
4x Think Twice

Sorceries - 6
Traitoruous Blood
4x Ponder

Lands - 22
8x Island
10x Mountain
4x Sulfur Falls

Sideboard
1x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Manic Vandal (Maybe Ancient Grudge is still better?)
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Vapor Snag
2x Dissipate
3x Arc Trail
3x Slagstorm

How does this look?
I really think you should reconsider the Shrine.  Yes, it's a lot better in mono-red, but it's still a fairly good clock in a deck like this.  It's so great against control matchups because if you get it into play, they likely can't get rid of it.

The reason Geistflame is good is simply the number of nasty X/1 creatures you want to kill immediately.  A list would include Birds of Paradise, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Inkmoth Nexus, Stromkirk Noble, and sometimes Snapcaster (when it's used as Ambush Viper) and Champion of the Parish.  Also, you can use it to get back Chandra's Phoenix if they try to exile from the graveyard.

I don't like Traitorous Blood when you don't have ways to sacrifice the creature afterwards.

Another switch I forgot to mention that you could use is trading Ponder for Desperate Ravings.  You get actual card advantage (Ponder is only a 1-for-1), plus the ability to use it to potentially get bad cards out of you hand.  I'm not sure if it's the perfect way to go, but it's worth trying out.  Plus, it's an instant, so it goes with everything else.

I forgot about Manic Vandal.  It's probably fine, though I like the instant speed of Grudge (or Shatter for that matter).  It probably doesn't matter though.

I'd really like to see the Spellbomb as at least a 2-of in the side, depending on your metagame.
I have tried SoBR before, and I never get really get to use it with more than 3 counters, so that's not worth it at all. But gonna try some more, maybe it does work vs heavy UB/Solar Flare control.

I have considered Desperate Ravings, but I don't think it's good without Snapcaster MagePonder let's me plan my Delver of Secrets' transformation.

I've cut back on lands again, as I found 22 to be way too many. Here's what I'm trying now:

Main - 60
Creatures - 10
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts - 4
4x Shrine of Burning Rage 

Instants - 22
x Brimstone Volley
4x Incinerate
3x Geistflame
3x Galvanic Blast
4x Mana Leak
4x Think Twice

Sorceries - 4
4x Ponder

Lands - 20
x Island
9x Mountain
4x Sulfur Falls

Sideboard
2x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Ancient Grudge
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Vapor Snag
2x Dissipate
2x Arc Trail
3x Slagstorm

Fair enough on the Ponder vs. Desperate Ravings, but Ravings can be good without Snapcaster.  You just have to use it when you literally don't have anything good in hand (such as extra lands).  I don't think either card is going to make or break the deck, it was just something to consider if you find dead cards sitting in your hand.

Once you're down to just trading in a few cards here and there, it's really all about how you want to play it and what you've found works best.  I'd say the list looks really good.  It probably just needs some tweaking for your metagame, which can only really be done through play testing.
I've been having good success with the following deck list.

[21 Land]
4 Sulfur Falls
9 Island
9 Mountain

[10 Creatures]
4 Delver of Secrets
1 Grim Lavamancer
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Chandra's Phoenix

[29 Spells]
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Ponder
2 Shock
4 Galvanic Blast
Vapor Snag
4 Incinerate
4 Mana Leak
1 Negate
2 Psychic Barrier
3 Brimstone Volley

[15 Sideboard]
2 Steel Sabotage
3 Stromkirk Noble
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
3 Spellskite
3 Slagstorm

-  Probes always come out after game 1, it's an easy SB.
-  If I win game 1, I save shrines for game 3, otherwise I bring them in game 2 (depending on matchup).
-  Debating whether or not to cut the Nobles for Dissipates.  They are good, but not great.  Might cut Sabotage instead.
-  Control matchups are tough.  Which is why I consider adding dissipate to the SB.

-  Deck is fast, yet versatile.
-  Delver flips almost everytime.
-  Plenty of face burn to win games quickly.
-  Spellskite kicks ass in most matchups.
-  1 Lavamancer is really, for me, the right number.  He is a nice surprise to have, but you don't need him to win.
-  2 Phoenix comes out late in the game when you have the mana to play him and keep 2 untapped for a cancel.  Also, makes sure you have the right amount of red-to-blue ratio.  In the past I would run 3 and I always seemed to have it too often and with inappropriate mana.  2-of fixes this.
-  Mana base is smooth.  No issues.
9+9+4 is 22. So youre running 61 cards. Just saying.
Photobucket
If you ALWAYS side Probe out, that means that it shouldn't be in your maindeck.  Probe isn't that good in the deck anyways, it's only really good under 2 conditions, when you're playing a combo deck and want to know when it's safe to go off, or when you are playing the control mirror and want to check whether or not it's safe to run out your bomb.  You're neither, so it doesn't do anything except for cycle in your deck.  

I do not like Psycic Barrier, and I'm not the biggest fan of maindeck Negate.  Barrier itself is pretty mediocre, as you aren't garenteed by any means to have UU by turn 2, and a lot of what you want to counter are non-creature spells.  Negate is better, but it is still suprisingly narrow.  Dissipate is a better card, despite the fact that it costs more, because it hits everything, and in a format filled with graveyard effects the exile is a nice addition.  Also, practically speaking, the majority of the time you'll be able to cast Barrier you can cast Dissipate, so I would strongly suggest making the change.  

Also, right now both Geistflame and Gut Shot are better than Galvanic Blast and shock.  The majority of relevant creatures in the format right now either have 1 toughness or 6, meaning that the card or tempo advantage from Geistflame and Gut Shot are more relevant than the additional point of damage.  

Additionally, I feel you should probably up your Phoenix count to 4 and possibly add in some Stromkirk Nobles in order to get more reliable sources of damage in.