Will You Keep Playing or Buying 4e?

101 posts / 0 new
Last post
When the playtests drop, will you keep playing 4e? And will you buy the next year plus of books?

Edit: If you are continuing to play 4e, will you participate in the playtest? And if so will you do so in addition to your 4e game OR replacing some time spent playing 4e? 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Most likely.  And Ill probalby still buy books that interest me.

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

I definately will, as the rest of all I need to buy to "complete" my collection is either fluff books, or Martial Power.
Play?  Yes. 

Keep buying books?  Probably not. I am probably going to keep up a ddi subscription because I only play 4E via VTT now.  I counted and I have bought 16 4E books so far, but probably no more for me.
Play, definitely.

Buying books will go on the same principle it has since day 1; if I'm interested in it, I'll buy it, if not, I won't.  If memory serves, the last book I bought for 4e was either Arcane or Martial Power 2, so I'm not really expecting WotC to put out anything I really feel compelled to get my hands on.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I plan to play. I'll buy good books and ignore bad books, as usual, though I'll start looking for other up-and-coming fantasy RPGs that aren't afraid to head where 4E was going before Essentials showed up.

Heck, while today's announcement killed my plan of finishing up and posting one of my elemental classes today, I still plan on writing all four of them up, if only to get them out of my system.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.

Buying books will go on the same principle it has since day 1; if I'm interested in it, I'll buy it, if not, I won't.  If memory serves, the last book I bought for 4e was either Arcane or Martial Power 2, so I'm not really expecting WotC to put out anything I really feel compelled to get my hands on.

Yup.

For me, the last book I bought was the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

I'm highly likely to continue playing it, as I have a current relatively long-running 4E campaign (we started it a little over a year ago) going on, and no one really wants to switch systems in the middle of the campaign.  If I keep playing it after the campaign ends, that'll depend on how much I like the playtest material.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
I'll likely move directly to the playtests.  Dollars will not be spent on additional books as, even if I was overjoyed by the system, I felt there was too much fluff in the material presented to the DM (within the core books) and not enough thorough and robust mechanical options for developing a consistent and self-functioning world based on foundational rules.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I'll definitely keep playing 4e for a while, especially since my current and next planned campaign use tech rules from Amethyst/Ultramodern4. Even when 5e comes out, I think this niche will remain unfilled for a while. WotC never really put out a 4e modern line so I think until another 3pp comes along and does it for 5e, I won't be completely converting, even if I enjoy it enough to change over for my pure fantasy games.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I want to play D&D! I bought 4e books and started looking for a group 2 years ago. To-date I gave up looking for a group and started DMing some kids that are in their teens just so I can get use out of the books and get my fix. The game shops here only have people either playing with people they have known for 10plus years or bashers of 4e.

I'm starting to see why people are getting frustrated with D&D products and most groups stick to a particular version. Just when a version finally gets set up with suitable classes AND adventures there is a new product out that will cost another few hundred dollars. Getting to play now is getting difficult because the community board at the gaming shop has a few people looking for groups but they all are requesting to play with different version of the game.

I was duped when I bought the core rule books then found that it is very much a mini style type of combat. I started buying the box sets and quickly found myself with SEVERAL minis that I will probably never use. Partly because they weren't sold in groups example... hordes of orcs or bands of goblins.

I would LOVE a new version IF it could be:

1. Easy/cheap to start- Allow starting with wide choices for beginning player characters and adventures.

2. Purchasable core playing- Be able to play those adventures with maps and minis all purchasable within reason. Not buying 200 random minis to find the 15 you need.

3. Portable-Expansion books are great but not easy to play each session when it involves carrying adventure book, dice, maps, minis, sheets, rule books, computer(in-case of leveling and print new char sheets)

Do you know that you don't H AVE to represent each mini 100%, right Zace? I mean...that's a lot of money on minis.
Until 5E actually hits store shelves I will continue to run and play 4E. I will continue to buy the 4E books that have interesting stuff. As for the 5E changeover it really depends on my group.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

My current campaign will likely continue in 4e, we like the system and alot of our stuff likely won't be in the first PHB.

After that, I'll judge how 5e is by that point, and make the decision then. 
Depends on 5th Edition. If it's better or not. If 5E is a return to a 3E-esk play philosophy, then I'll be putting my dice and DM hat away until 6E. For me 4E was the best version of D&D yet. 5E is going to have to be over-the-top better for me to spend money on it...
I'll definitely keep playing 4e.  I've also signed up for 5e's playtest, and will probably start running that in addition to 4e when it goes public.  If 5e ends up being good enough to become my group's preferred system, we'll still probably stick mostly with 4e until 5e has sufficient character options (Primal being the biggest draw for me).  Even down the road I don't see myself abandoning 4e entirely unless 5e is a very similar but improved version of it (which I don't find particularly likely).

As for whether or not I'll continue buying 4e books, that very much depends on the books.  HotF is one of my favorite 4e books and I would have bought it even if 5e had been announced earlier this fall.  I was on the fence about HotEC before the announcement, and I'm still on the fence about it.  Specific content will ultimately determine whether I buy it.
I may not go to conventions or store events for a while, but I'll still keep playing 4ed. I'll also try out the beta playtests: I had a good experience with the new minis game playtest (although whether I buy it depends on what the final rules are). I'm skeptical of the playtest, but I still want my opinion to be heard.

I'm not very motivated to jump onto 5ed because a) I like 4ed and probably would houserule 1% of the rules maximum, and b) if 5ed tries to be all things to all people, it's going to attract a lot of people I don't want to play alongside with. People for whom I was glad they left D&D proper.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

D&D is one of those games that seems like it is in your best interest to play after it has been out for a while. There is more content, most of the major errors have been fixed, etc. For example if you switch to 5e right away you'll go from having 30 classes (or whatever) to choose from to maybe 5. That's a lot of flexibility lost. It is only worth doing if the rules are a ton better but given how much a game like d&d allows you to customize for your play group it doesn't seem likely that will be worth it.
I didnt get into 4e immediately not until it was out atleast a year .. it broaught me back to D&D after many years of being away.  I am more aware now of the game and what I want out of it... 5e would have to be god aweful magic.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Most likely yes.

People still play 3.5E, they still play the original Dungeons and dragons, I imagine they'll still play 4E.

I know I will.

Personally, I'm excited that they are coming out with a new D&D, I personally wonder what's going to be in it, and how it will be different.
Yes I will keep buying books, yes I will keep playing 4th edition.  And once I have wrung all possible enjoyment out of them, then I'll start to think about using another system. If it suits my needs, 5th edition might be it.  If not, who knows what it will be.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
I will definitely keep playing 4e - at least as long as WOTC continues to support the character builder... probably not going to buy any more 4e books but will definitely be buying miniatures when they come out... meanwhile looking forward to the new Paizo miniatures to fill my compulsion to purchase plastic crack...
Added a clarification to the original post. Curious how many people will let playtesting eat into their current campaigns or if they'll try and playtest on top of their regularly scheduled gaming.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Added a clarification to the original post. Curious how many people will let playtesting eat into their current campaigns or if they'll try and playtest on top of their regularly scheduled gaming.

I did sign up for the playtest. Though I don't know what good it'll actually do me. I would think playtesting would be like encounters Etc. Though I think that is a HORRIBLE way to actually get a wide range of people since that crowd is RIDICULOUSLY limited. There just aren't enough places that do it.

So to answer your question playtesting will be on top of my regular 4E campaigns.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

Personally I am only currently playing my 3rd 4e campaign.  We don't own probably 3/4ths of the books and still have barely touched the content we do have.  After the current campaign my wife will be DMing her first 4e campaign.  I will then start working on another 4e campaign and we will probably look to get good deals on 4e material to further our current 4e collection.  Most likely there will be a price drop on most 4e material in the next couple months to year up until 5e becomes a reality.  At that point 4e material will become harder to find and the price will probably go up as it has on the older editions and out of print minis.  At this point hopefully I will have plenty of 4e to keep me satisfied for a while still.  Maybe 3-4 years into 5e I will consider changing systems.  I also have not registered to nor do I plan to play test 5e.  I am still having plenty of fun with 4e.  I have atleast 5 characters I still want to build and play just out of PHB1 and 2.
When the playtests drop, will you keep playing 4e? And will you buy the next year plus of books?

I'll keep playing 4e.   As always, I'll buy books if they're any good.  Another book as good as Heroes of the Feywild, I'd buy - another book on par with Heroes of Shadow/Forgotten Kingdom/Fallen Land or PH3, I'll leave on the shelf. 

Edit:
 If you are continuing to play 4e, will you participate in the playtest? And if so will you do so in addition to your 4e game OR replacing some time spent playing 4e? 
I suspect I might get involved in playtesting, if so, it'd probably be with folks I know through organized play, possibly in place of Lair Assault, possibly over and above existing gaming.  Depends on how the playtest thing works.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

That probably depends on how good the rules look. Either way, I don't think it will completely supplant my current game, it may or may not somewhat eat into it, or I may just run some one-shots on top of what is currently going on. But like others have said, it better be absolutely ridiculously good for me to want to completely give up 4e (and even then I still probably won't for a while).
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Edit: If you are continuing to play 4e, will you participate in the playtest? And if so will you do so in addition to your 4e game OR replacing some time spent playing 4e? 

i will buy most of it, like i do now. i actually look forward to the elemental chaos book and the map packs. ill probably buy pretty much anything 4e

i dont think i will really 'participate' in the playtest bc that implies that i have any power over what it will look like, which i think is a joke as the framework will already be in place. but i will look at it and likely complain about it

How does one sign up to be a playtester?
I'm already droppin out of 4e as it is.  The moment the last person in our group who prefers 4e..finally drops playing 4e.  I know I'll probably never touch it again.  Of course this isn't related to the playtest in my case..so I might skew the results.

Play - yes, 4e has bee the best version of D&D to me thus far, easily modded to compensate for it's flaws.

Buy - depends, I wasn't going to buy BoVD but I got gift cards for barnes and nobles and figured why not.  I was happy after the Heroes of the Feywild.

Playtest - It would be in addition too my 4e time, depending on how it can go, I would actually likely try to run the same adventure for 4e in 5e and see how different it feels. 

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Considering I haven't bought a book since they essentialized 4e I don't think I'll be buying any more of the books (except for the monster manual type books, but we split those amongst the group anyways). There hasn't been any decent player content since Dark Sun that has actually made me say "I need this book." As a DM I don't need fluff, I have an imagination of my own.

That said we'll keep playing 4e as long as the group wants. The only game we may change to at some point is Star Wars, but we've talked about that for years and simply haven't made the move yet (still looking for some sort of character builder for it). We have two strong campaigns going, my Dark Sun campaign just hit paragon and the other DM's Eberron campaign is in late heroic. We'd like to see those through to the end.

We'll see what level of 5e playtest stuff we get. Will it be playable? How interested will the rest of the group be considering we have games and characters we like to play? Who knows? I won't be buying into 5e right away.

Wink I'll likely wait 2-3 years for 5.5e (5e Essentials?) 

Seriously though it's just wait and see. If I see rules bloat for stuff that can simply be RP'd (rules for being a weaver), overly complicated skills list (the return of thievery charts or Spot, Search, listen instead of Perception), or a broken class system (Class X 2/Class Y 5/Class Z 4) I'll likely pass. Hopefully the whispers of a modular system will be true so i can continue with the more modern appeal of 4e than some of the outdated tropes for 2e and 3e.

4e is the first edition ever released in which I am confident I will play it even after the release of the next one. I will continue to complete my acquisition of 4e resources.
Edit: If you are continuing to play 4e, will you participate in the playtest?

I have signed up[ to play in the playtest. I am intrigued with what it might bring, but a bit concerned that Monte is leading the design team.
And if so will you do so in addition to your 4e game OR replacing some time spent playing 4e? 

I have enjoyed 4e from its inception. I will examine NextE when it arrives, and I will probably play it. But I do not intend to end or lessen my 4e play time. NextE testing will be in addition to my 4e game time, probably cutting into my board time more than anything else.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Buying no.  Simply because nothing new will be available for 4e to buy.  There might be olderr books to buy, true, but, if I wasn't interested in buying them before 5e, I doubt 5e would make them more attractive to me.

Playing maybe.  It simply boils down to whether in the end I like 5e better than 4e.  If so, then no.  Otherwise, yes. 
The real question comes to tournaments. Will cons run 4e events when 5e is available? This problem can only further splinter the D&D community. "I play 4e at home, but I play 5e at cons."

I see the current situation as a choice between:

1. Boycotting 4e. If you want 5e--no doubt the best version of D&D to ever be made, at least until 6e comes out--what's the point of buying books you can't/won't use and were from a crap system anyway?

2. Boycotting 5e. If you loved 4e and loved WOTC for it, what's the point of rebuying all new books all over again? Because it has the D&D logo on it?

Of course, you could buy all of them, from both editions, which is what WOTC wants you to do. "Everybody wins."

As a result of all this, I'm starting to see myself as a fantasy RPGer, less so a D&Der. What's this "Burning Wheel" everyone's talking about?

I figure I have plenty of books from 4e to keep playing until 5e comes out, then I will evaluate it vs another system, like Pathfinder, to decide which I will spend money on. Either way, I prefer a "living" system, so I won't likely continue with 4e after 5e is released.

I am signed up to playtest, so I might have an idea which way I will lean prior to release of 5e.

I am signed up to playtest, so I might have an idea which way I will lean prior to release of 5e.

you just go to the annoucement article and click at the bottom

Yes - I will definitely be finishing off the current campaign with 4E, one way or another.

After that, and will I play 5E? The jury is well and truly out on that one... From the L&L stuff I've seen so far, I might stick with 4E plus some of the other systems out there.

Click on the big button under the announcement/Legends and Lore article on the main D&D website.
======= Balesir

So anybody feel like starting an actual 4e forum?
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Play yes, buy no.

But I think my last book was divine power, the rest I get from DDI anyway.

We're planning to start some Dark Sun games next week.  That's sure to keep us busy for a while.  Beyond that?  Who knows.

If D&D Next is similiar to the current game (as I suspect it will be), then I'll move on from 4e; I won't stick with 4e.  The other fellas haven't heard about Next yet.  Next few days should be interesting ;).

If the game is all-new, then it's wait and see.  Monte is in charge (yeah?) and some of his ideas I would describe as radical (for lack of a better word).  I don't expect retro at all.  Worst case scenario, I'll just stick with 4e.  I've played all the D&D games at one point or another however, so I'll still give Next a try.

= = =

Will I continue to buy 4e?  Prolly.  If they put out useful, interesting material, I'll pick it up.  I've bought D&D hardcovers month after month, for years and years.  A few more 4e books, complete the collection, no problem for me.
/\ Art