Braid Of Fire/Mana Barbs

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So iv wanted to do something with Braid of Fire forever, but it just never seemed to give enough advantage. Then my buddy told me about mana barbs. Basic idea of deck is just to have free mana on upkeep which ill spend to cast instants at the opponent, eventually finishing them with Comet Storm (Which was the only instant speed X burn i could find, if anyone else knows of one in pure red modern legal, please do tell). Mana Barbs to hurt them if they want to counter or do anything really, where as even if I have to tap my mana for damage, usually im getting a better ratio of damaging myself and damaging them. IE- 1 red for 3 damage.

Anyone have thoughts on how to improve or any flaws? Yes I know I need to spend the mana on my upkeep.

Sideboard
[Deck]
2 Chandra, The Firebrand

3 Leyline of Punishment
3 Volcanic Fallout
2 Vexing Shusher
3 Ghostfire
2 Magus of the Moon
[/Deck]

first off: great deck idea, i like it

Second: is the only reason for volt charge the fact you can proliferated braids? If so: cut it!

I played a mono red control deck a few days ago which included tezzerets gambit and volt charge to proliferate koth.

Turs out that even in standard, volt charge is to slow. It doesnt do much. In my deck, it would almost win me the game if i managed to proliferate koth to ultimate, in your deck it only adds 1 more mana. You are way better of with just a burnspell for 1 red mana, or maybe 2. 3 is to much and to slow.

-4 Volt Charge
+4 Chain Lightning
-2 Comet Storm
+2 Fireball

would also reccomend Pyroblast strongly in the sideboard.

I agree with the chain lighting over volt charge, but your missing the ENTIRE point of comet storm, in that I can use it to take advantage of ridilcious amounts of red mana on my upkeep if i get 2 or 3 braids up and running (which is not an uncommon occurance).
-4 Volt Charge
+4 Chain Lightning
-2 Comet Storm
+2 Fireball

would also reccomend Pyroblast strongly in the sideboard.

Turns out this isn't Legacy.
I would advise looking into Gemstone Array from Darksteel- it lets you store up your mana to use during your main phase, then you can use Past In Flames to flashback all your stuff in your graveyard. Of course, the deck is super slow, I just pray you don't play against Zoo. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I actually have found Zoo to be one of my better matchups. First turn Braid w/ spirit guide is not uncommon, which tends to give me enough mana to burn Goyfs dead when they arrive. Because of the guides iv gotten manabarbs up comftorably as early as turn 3, with 2 braids on the field. Admittedly thats a perfect hand, but with all the cheap burn I can cast for nearly or completely free on my upkeep, Zoo is not a huge concern for me.
I actually have found Zoo to be one of my better matchups. First turn Braid w/ spirit guide is not uncommon, which tends to give me enough mana to burn Goyfs dead when they arrive. Because of the guides iv gotten manabarbs up comftorably as early as turn 3, with 2 braids on the field. Admittedly thats a perfect hand, but with all the cheap burn I can cast for nearly or completely free on my upkeep, Zoo is not a huge concern for me.

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I don't see Simi Spirit Guides in your list. Next dumb question: How do you handle Past In Flames storm deck?

(at)MrEnglish22

Oops. I completely forgot to include Simian in the decklist I posted here. -slaps self on forehead-

I havent run into any Past in Flames, so I couldint say how well id handle it.
Don't forget 
Manamorphose is instant, which can give you access to other colored mana in your upkeep

I think adding blue for snapcaster mage is worth it - maybe just 4 manamorphose and some steam vents would give you enough blue if you wanted to run fetch lands as well. If you do run fetch lands add searing blaze, since you can crack the fetchland in your upkeep and use the braid mana to cast it and still have landfall trigger, this is really good against aggro (side them out against combo).

Snapcaster is expensive (I got mine from drafting innistrad a lot) but in a deck like this with a lot of low mana instants he shines. 

Volcanic Fallout should get a look as well - another instant that really helps against decks like affinity -where there are a lot of 0 mana creatures that don't care about manabarbs.

I'd maybe also play some card draw/filtering like desperate ravings Faithless looting is better but not at instant speed. This way if you need to dig for braid/manabarbs you have some ability to do so.I've been playing around with a mostly red deck based around Burning Vengeance I imagine it would play similar to your deck in thats its a red deck of mainly instants that needs to stick a enchantmnet to win and have found being able to dig through the deck is invaluable because otherwise you basically need to mulligan to a hand with enchantment in it, which is very bad.

i love the idea behind this deck, so i played with it a bit, and instantly made some changes. this is what i have now;

3 Braid of Fire
4 Faithless Looting
4 Staggershock
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Flame Javelin
4 Comet Storm
3 Manabarbs
4 Incinerate
20 Mountain
4 Tezzeret's Gambit
2 Past in Flames

SB: 3 Leyline of Punishment
SB: 3 Volcanic Fallout
SB: 2 Vexing Shusher
SB: 3 Ghostfire
SB: 2 Magus of the Moon
SB: 2 Koth of the Hammer

wheel of fate was far too slow for my liking, so i went with tezzeret's gambit since it works instantly. lava spike is just pointless because a) it's a sorcery and b) it is just so bad that it can't burn creatures. i went up to 4 comet storms because i never drew them with just two and i had a bit of room after some cuts. i cut a braid since drawing two is honestly not that good since they're pretty terrible on any turn other than t2. i cut the volt charges because it's not very efficient, and proliferating just braids doesn't seem so good; i'll probably add a shrine of burning rage or two or three somewhere now that it popped into my head as i type this, so it may very well return. i had a bit of room and wanted some value out of my burn so i figured a couple of past in flames might do the trick, since i wanted to stay mono-red; i am yet to see whether they're any good or not though. i instantly binned the chandras in favour of koths, and am tempted to maindeck 1 or maybe 2 because he works so well with manabarbs.

as far as the sideboard goes, i think it looks fine but i might cut 1-2 leylines in favour of shrines, and the burn mix would be tweaked maindeck accordingly. again, i'm not sure about past in flames, so that could be cut, and grim lavamancer is always a good card for mono-red so i'll consider that too.