The Realms in 5E

Trevor, what if any can you say about the Forgotten Realms in 5E?

Thanks!

HAND OF KARSUS!

Trevor

Who the hell is that?

Also, where is LK? I need to talk with him or RW about something Realms related since the realms forum is rather dead. Or are they not involved in these forums anymore?
I desire to go to Hell and not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks and apostles. -Soivet EB Reloaded
Trevor

Who the hell is that?

Also, where is LK? I need to talk with him or RW about something Realms related since the realms forum is rather dead. Or are they not involved in these forums anymore?

community.wizards.com/wotc_trevor

LK and RW don't come around anymore. LK occasionally posts at candlekeep.   

HAND OF KARSUS!

from www.enworld.org/forum/news/316036-off-se...

The Forgotten Realms will be supported from the start, and a video game art studio from China has been hired to fully detail the Realms. I asked if going forward support would be continued for the current time after the Spellplague and the Neverwinter Campaign. A WotC spokesperson answered, "The Forgotten Realms has a rich history and we will support all of it. It is for the gamers to decide which time they would enjoy playing in." That would allow Wizards to take advantage of a massive back catalog of products; however, there are no current plans that we know of for other settings - we assume these will follow in later years.
THANKS!

HAND OF KARSUS!

Trevor

Who the hell is that?

community.wizards.com/wotc_trevor

LK and RW don't come around anymore. LK occasionally posts at candlekeep.   

Well, I had some Realms questions, and I sent you a PM, which you declinded to respond to. Stigger and few others from the past all answer me.
I desire to go to Hell and not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks and apostles. -Soivet EB Reloaded
Man I actually loved the year or 2 we had with minimal (ie, mag only) support for FR.

Well, it's my hope WotC is smart enough (read: retains some level of institutional memory) to not unleash another Spellplague on the Realms.

You can hit the reset button, but understand that when you do, you've used it up. No more resets allowed, thanks.

I'm sure there will be some strong, smart arguments for backpedalling out of the Spellplague or doing alternate timelines, but up front I'd like to say that I think these are all Very Bad Ideas.

If the theme for 5E is in so many words "making the kind of D&D game you want to have" then WotC needs to open up support for all eras of the Realms and encourage people play in the era that suits them best.

so......
now we're getting a new ruleset again......

I guess I can laugh now.

the rest button of killing mystra can't be used...

the restet button of returning mystra can be though...        

insert MASSIVe RANT here that I dont want to post and you dont want to read about all my 4e fr stuff may be uselss...

if they do reset the realms for 5e.
waht I'd like to see is: the retrun of mystra( the weave can stay gone), return of Helm, return of Eilistraee( either as drow or non drow doesnt matter).
seperate Yondalla from Chauntea and keep it that way   

oh and I concur with mr. M above me.

if I understand what he typed right.

I'd go for 5e with reprints of the  2nd/3rd edition campaign settings combined for lore reasons and without any and all player options in it for those who would rather play in that era( learn to spell and type slowly sf dragon). book must contain each deity in the realms at that time and domains for them.

A FR player's guide that covers all eras complete with list of deities for all eras complete with domain, short description and alignment and most importantly with all area back grounds, the 4e one elft out tethyr.

a cosmogly of the realms: this book must describe the planes that are native to Realmspace and list the deities in them, like the 2e ones did.

anything past this would not be necessary       

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
that is also to say that I'd want a 5e frcampign guide....
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
that is also to say that I'd want a 5e frcampign guide....

You were the guy arguing with me on The Navy S.E.A.L.S vs Drow back in the day, correct? I tried to send you an invite, and you have stupid restrictions on your profile. I was going to ask Stigger to send you a PM but now that you're here, this works fine. Since the Realms section is rather dead, I am making a collection of people I knew in the past.

-EB
I'd advocate splitting off 4e FR as its own alternate universe/continuity, and producing support for pre-Spellplague FR.

However, if pre-Spellplague support is weighed down by 4e Points of Light material that was force fit into 4e FR (Primordials mythology, Dawn War, 4e cosmology etc), that's probably a non-starter for me since it implicitly supports the Spellplague continuity.
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10
thats why I said a reprint of the 2nd/3rd edition campaign settings without the player's options they had.

the players options in the 5e fr player's sandwhich will have all that in it for each era one wants to play in.

which means:
all however they do the classes( aka prestige classes, paragon pathes, epic destines or what ever they will be called in 5e) will be in this book

the list of deities with short description inclusing domains( and I do mean all 100+ deites, I dont like that they combined a few in 4e)

feats would be in this book and so would character backgrounds for eacharea of the realms.

okay I'm ranting by now             
Support for all timelines is fine by me. I just hope WotC means it and really commits to both pre and post spellplague. This will be hard to do and I fear everything will just get muddled.
My money is that they'll do a retcon of sort and FR will beging at the same moment it started in the Old Grey Box. Like they did with Dark Sun. Chris Perkins (I think it was him) mentioned this before.

The other solution is to go back to pre-Spellplague times and pretend like it never happend or was a parallel universe. This is my favorite solution but it looks doubtful.

Just write a novel over some time travelling heroes warning Mystra ;)

Honestly, as much as I disliked what they did to the realms with 4e, I really hope the keep it. Nothing worse than a retcon.

They already dropped the bomb on the Realms with 4th edition and the spellplague, I don't think they should try and fix that now.  I've read a lot of the post-spellplague novels and I think the authors are really developing a great post-spellplague Realms.  I think they should keep moving forward.  They definitely shouldn't do some new world-shaking event this time, though.  They should just keep going with the current storylines.  

Well, it's my hope WotC is smart enough (read: retains some level of institutional memory) to not unleash another Spellplague on the Realms.

You can hit the reset button, but understand that when you do, you've used it up. No more resets allowed, thanks.

I'm sure there will be some strong, smart arguments for backpedalling out of the Spellplague or doing alternate timelines, but up front I'd like to say that I think these are all Very Bad Ideas.

If the theme for 5E is in so many words "making the kind of D&D game you want to have" then WotC needs to open up support for all eras of the Realms and encourage people play in the era that suits them best.

Yeah, if they retcon the whole 4e realms out of existence...I'm done. I'll play in the 4e realms, won't buy any realms products printed after the retcon, and that will be that. That move would just piss me off too much to even deal with the officially supported realms anymore.

I'd much rather see them just keep moving the Realms forward. Give some updates, and then some guidelines to playing in various parts of realms history. Star Wars style.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I agree, it would be foolish to do a hard reset and pretend that the last 4 years didn't exist.  The FR authors have done an amazing job fleshing out the 4E story line for the Realms and it would be a disservice to them and everyone who bought the novels by wiping it all out.  Tragedy happens and we all have to deal with it.  So let's just move forward with the time change and the story line and let's fix the game.

As for what changes can be made, I think that opening up the entire timeline of FR to both the game products and the authors would be a great boon to DnD as a whole.  Star Wars thrives with having games and novels set in multiple timelines, why can't DnD?  Opening up the timeline to authors would be easy.  Who wouldn't want to read a story set during the Crown Wars or how about more stories set in ancient Narfell?  As for the game, as long as the mechanics are solid and set up properly, all you would need is lore books for different ages.  Again, who wouldn't buy a lore book for the Crown Wars so they can game in that era?

In summary, take a cue from Star Wars.  Maintain your timeline and move forward with its stories and characters.  But open up the past so that people can read stories about it and game in it.

P.S.  Keep going digital and don't be afraid of piracy.  99.99% of us will be loyal if you treat us well.  Oh, and offer Dragon and Dungeon as a Kindle Fire magazine subscription.   
They already dropped the bomb on the Realms with 4th edition and the spellplague, I don't think they should try and fix that now.  I've read a lot of the post-spellplague novels and I think the authors are really developing a great post-spellplague Realms.  I think they should keep moving forward.  They definitely shouldn't do some new world-shaking event this time, though.  They should just keep going with the current storylines.  

This. I don't want to see Erik Scott de Bie's Shadowbane or Paul S. Kemp's new trilogy with Cale's kid ret-conned out of existence.

I want to see the Realms continue to grow and move forward. We've gotten some amazing mag support, and before this announcement we had the hope of more books like Heroes of Neverwinter, and I was very excited about that. The old material can still be used. At most, we need some print giving guidelines and advice on how to use them with the current ruleset.

If we want new material to appeal more to the old school realms fans, why not move the setting forward slightly, like 20 years or less, and make some minor changes that make it feel a bit more like it used to. Bring back more of the gods that haven't been mentioned yet, like Shaundekul, and even some of the dead ones, like Helm, Mystra, Mask, Deneir, etc.

Kill Torm...er, I mean, what? :P

Selfish mini-rant inside: (Let Drizzt attain apotheosis and make him the god of good, adventuring members of monstrous races or something. I'm tired of him. Completely. Better yet, kill him. Give him a good death, but make it a permanent death.)

Support Al-Qadim.

Oh, and make Abeir a setting. Even just a subsetting with one book, that's fine. If people can travel there via the Planes, even better. It should be very difficult, something that happens either at high level or by accident, for instance. :P

Oh hey, all those places you miss. At least they still exist, even if they are surrounded by all new things in a world ruled by dragons. I'd love to play in a world ruled by dragons. Sign me up for my first ever dragonborn PC. :P

5e Realms doesn't need to move backward, it needs to move forward.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

Digest of 5E Realms conversation from other forums:

Candlekeep’s talk about 5E is HERE.

A poll on Candlekeep about what Realms Fans want to see happen for 5E can be found HERE.

The Realms-L Mailing List has even seen a little chatter. You can follow it from the Realms-L archive HERE or just subscribe to the mailing list.

I would like for The Realms to get the STAR WARS treatment. Have a guide for multiple eras.

HAND OF KARSUS!

Well can’t say it is a total surprise; though to be fair I was expecting Wotc to sell the brand to Fantasy flight games.

4th edition was the only edition I didn’t playtest…..because basically almost all of the guys and gals that tested  1st-3rd editions were told it was being handled in “other ways” 

That’s all I’m going to say about it because I don’t want this to turn into a rant about how the people who help build this game were kicked in the junk by Wotc during 4th eds development.

I instead want to congratulate Wizards for finally coming to their senses; I also want to make a few bold predictions. I’m betting we will see the end of DDI and the return of both Dragon and Dungeon in print form either as a unified magazine or Quarterly periodical.  I also look for a new line of Miniatures to be introduced though I don’t know if they will be of the pre-painted variety. Finally I expect that this edition will produce less  books and add-ons but will be at a higher quality.

I’m excited about D&D again for the first time in five years…I just hope the excitement is warrented.

I’m betting we will see the end of DDI and the return of both Dragon and Dungeon in print form either as a unified magazine or Quarterly periodical.

I doubt that. No magazine can support itself by it's mere cover price and these days, who do they think will buy enough advertising space to make up for the rest of the costs? DDI is just a too good money stream and without the mags there would be a major incentive missing to be a subscriber. I also doubt that there will be less books, except they are much more expensive.

Frankly, WotC is not out to make a good game, but a profitable game. These goals go hand in hand in some areas and not so much in others.

Yeah, if they retcon the whole 4e realms out of existence...I'm done. I'll play in the 4e realms, won't buy any realms products printed after the retcon, and that will be that. That move would just piss me off too much to even deal with the officially supported realms anymore.

I'd much rather see them just keep moving the Realms forward. Give some updates, and then some guidelines to playing in various parts of realms history. Star Wars style.

Agreed.  The 4e Realms is the first iteration of the Realms that's actually been interesting to me.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

I’m betting we will see the end of DDI and the return of both Dragon and Dungeon in print form either as a unified magazine or Quarterly periodical.

I doubt that. No magazine can support itself by it's mere cover price and these days, who do they think will buy enough advertising space to make up for the rest of the costs? DDI is just a too good money stream and without the mags there would be a major incentive missing to be a subscriber. I also doubt that there will be less books, except they are much more expensive.

Frankly, WotC is not out to make a good game, but a profitable game. These goals go hand in hand in some areas and not so much in others.

White Dwarf, Kobold, and No Quarter would like to have a word with you.

And DDI s not the money stream that many belive it to be; finally if this edition of D&D is to be profitable if will have to be good as the sales of the brand have taken a consederable dive in the past few years simply because the Veterans can walk away and go to competing products and the new customer isn't enough to keep the ghost of it's former self standing. 

I definitely wish to see the Realms continue from where they are now (1479+ DR); I'm not arguing against the multiple time periods approach that has been mentioned, mind you, just saying I'd prefer to see the current state of the Realms survive. Scrapping the post-Spellplague world would just be a sharp backhander to the writers who have done their best to make a new idea work. Plus, I've become fond of many of those characters and ideas introduced to the 4E Realms. I would hate to see them tossed into the void.  

EDIT: Oh yes, one more thing. If the timeline is advanced, say by 10 years or so (a move with which I am fine), I would hope that the powers that be avoid a RSE - Szass Tam blows up the east, more nations flooded into annihilation, Drizzt reproduces, etc. 

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)

I definitely wish to see the Realms continue from where they are now (1479+ DR); I'm not arguing against the multiple time periods approach that has been mentioned, mind you, just saying I'd prefer to see the current state of the Realms survive. Scrapping the post-Spellplague world would just be a sharp backhander to the writers who have done their best to make a new idea work. Plus, I've become fond of many of those characters and ideas introduced to the 4E Realms. I would hate to see them tossed into the void.  

EDIT: Oh yes, one more thing. If the timeline is advanced, say by 10 years or so (a move with which I am fine), I would hope that the powers that be avoid a RSE - Szass Tam blows up the east, more nations flooded into annihilation, Drizzt reproduces, etc. 

I just don't see them deveating that far from 4th ed FR honestly; it would be a huge mistake and really give the finger not only all those writers but Cryptic studios who is developing the newest MMO (on a soon to be obsolete rule set..... Embarassed    )  I do think they will open up more of the Realms again and quite frankly I am very excited about that.
Get rid of the 4E Realms entirely, just make it un-happen. Don't care how. It was an insult to the existing fanbase at the time and should be eradicated and forgotten.  Then just start the Realms over from day 1 of first edition Realms.

Then:
- stop with the endless repeating loop of RSEs, just bloody stop it already.
- let the gods be the gods, stop making them into NPCs.
- stop writing stories about overpowered MarySue characters, whether it's Elminster or a new deva, angel, or tiefling.
- tell people that novels have a totally separate canon from the game timeline; everything is optional, nothing is certain.
- trash "Points of Light" and return to Greenwood's original vision.
- give Greenwood full veto power on any future ideas your staff might have.

Get rid of the 4E Realms entirely, just make it un-happen. Don't care how. It was an insult to the existing fanbase at the time and should be eradicated and forgotten.  Then just start the Realms over from day 1 of first edition Realms.

Then:
- stop with the endless repeating loop of RSEs, just bloody stop it already.
- let the gods be the gods, stop making them into NPCs.
- stop writing stories about overpowered MarySue characters, whether it's Elminster or a new deva, angel, or tiefling.
- tell people that novels have a totally separate canon from the game timeline; everything is optional, nothing is certain.
- trash "Points of Light" and return to Greenwood's original vision.
- give Greenwood full veto power on any future ideas your staff might have.

I really don't want to burst your impression of Ed; but most of his charcaters were Mary's Sues to begin with; he even jokes about it.  He also dosen't want Veto power over Wotc's version of the Realms he is quite happy to keep them seperate thank you very much.

Also 1st ed FR was about as far removed from eds original FR (the version he wrote about in Dragon in the Early 80's ) as you can get

They are also trying to unify the game so telling folks that one version of it dosen't count is counter productive to that goal.

Making things unhappen is what Wotc did to get them into this mess...lets not revisit that.

As much as I disliked the whole killing Mystra (again) and spellplague deal, (not to mention the whole Abeir business) I dislike retcons even more.  They chose to go down a path I didn't care for with the lore but I can accept it.  To try and pretend none of that ever happened...well I really don't like that idea.  It happened, it's canon, now let's move on with it and clean up the realms as much as we can.

Things I'd like to see:

- Mystra returns.  I don't care if her name is Mystra, Mystryl, Midnight, or Kate Beckinsale.  There should be a god or goddess of magic.

- More important politics going on with some of the nations.  Perhaps Netheril and the rather evil Moonsea city-states band together into a Soviet Union kind of power forcing an alliance of the region's good nations such as Cormyr, the Dales and Cormanthyr.  Not so much open fighting, but very stressful, proxy wars, spies, assassins...very cold war-ish.

- Dwarves.  Look, I'm an elf guy.  I love me some elves, especially drow.  But, there is SO much crap out there from the crown wars to info on the various elven empires it's not funny.  How about some good, solid dwarf lore and some strong dwarf nations.  It's time to move past having the dwarves be comic relief and make them feel as deep and fleshed out as the elves feel.

- On the subject of elves, ditch eladrin, and just make them high elves.  The whole eladrin thing never sat well with me.

- Nuke Thay out of existance.  The whole undead realm is really kinda lame.  I hate it.  I liked it much better when it was a bunch of scheming zulkirs.  Lets bring it back to that, and maybe have them join the Shade Union.

I posted about this extensively over at Candlekeep, but I'll assemble a "hit list" of my points into one post.

This is a list of what WotC should do, IMO, to make the Forgotten Realms the awesome, financially successful, flagship setting it deserves to be.

1. Don't retcon 4e out of existence--rather than destroy, BUILD:

Personally, I would not do a retcon. That would be bad from a business standpoint, a fan standpoint, and a story standpoint. Not only would they burn bridges with all their fans of 4e, but they'd also demolish story hooks that are being advanced in 4e. Erevis Cale? Done. Shadowbane? Done. Even DRIZZT? Done. Fortunately, I also don't think WotC is going to go that way. They already saw the havoc that wreaked on Dragonlance. Do they--or we--really want to see our beloved Realms go down in flames like that?

Also, we saw what happened when 4e tried to enact sweeping, unprecedented changes to the setting. (Not the best strategy!)

What would be BEST is if we could get to a place where we all agree on the setting, and just go with it there. But since that isn't going to happen, what *I* would do is release stuff that supports all eras of the Realms, so that people playing 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, or 5e can still use anything that comes out. I'm completely fine with seeing the mechanical stuff that comes out support whatever edition is *current*, but story material should support any edition. I'd like to return to the days of 75% flavor, 25% crunch. (Which is where I think WotC design is headed, actually.)

2. Support all eras--sourcebooks, novels (more, please!), and online fiction included:

Give the eras of the Realms the Star Wars Expanded Universe treatment. Release sourcebooks that support multiple eras--that give you a baseline of what a place is like (Waterdeep, Suzail, Silverymoon, Dalelands, etc.), then give you customizing tools to tailor it to whatever era you want to play in.

Authors and designers should work in all eras. I want to see this made not only more possible but actively encouraged. The problem is a little bit the business case--people want to feel as though they are witnessing progress, so novels set mostly or entirely in the past need to have some clear connection to the future--they still need to move things along. Thankfully, Realms history is so rich with mysterious events and cool happenings (see Grand History of the Realms) that I don't see this being a problem. I would love to write a whole series about more than one of my "post-dated" characters--Fox-at-Twilight and Arya Venkyr spring to mind.

I would like to see WotC put out more novels (15-20 a year, not the 10-12 we have now) and I'd like to see them move into inexpensive online fiction, which hits every other week or so. $1-$2 for a 6k-8k story, downloadable from WotC, from Amazon, the iTunes store, or whatever you want. These may be included with your DDI subscription (up to WotC to decide that--I would personally do it).

A thought occurred to me, to have our cake and eat it too: what about TWO Realms novel lines? The regular Forgotten Realms line (which features stories set in the 1480s), and then "Forgotten Realms: Legends," which features stories not only from the pre-Spellplague era but also from far-removed times/places?

3. Work hard to give us a strong mechanical system and also ACRES OF STORY:

I don't know about 5e's mechanics--they're still in the works. But the big opportunity here is to build a system that lends itself to ALL ERAS of play. You could pull this off with previous editions, too, with a lot of work. But 5e can be integrated--can bring all eras together under one umbrella so that you can flow into anything you want. This game should be so badass that you'll WANT to use the system.

And for those players who don't want to use 5e? What about people who are perfectly happy with 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, or (yes) Pathfinder RPG? (Because no matter how good the system is, there will be some, I promise!) Fortunately, there's everything that goes along with it: story, sourcebooks, content up the wazoo. The business case for this is simple: reach out to everyone who plays any sort of D&D and say "here--here's a setting you can use whole-cloth with whatever you're doing. Have at it."

Anyone playing any edition should be able to pick up a 5e Forgotten Realms sourcebook and use it in his/her game. It's as simple as that.

The Realms is vastly underdetailed, especially considering the scope of its history. Start with better explanations of the 4e transitions. There's a lot of story there, and I think we can get to a narrative point where some of the big shenanigans are resolved. And I think that a lot of this is being dealt with as we speak, er, type. Let Ed deal with the Mystra situation, for instance (which he's currently doing). Give us another piece about the drow and their pantheon (hint hint, Menzo sourcebook). Let me deal with Helm (which I'm currently doing). Give Paul time to work the Shar/Mask/Erevis Cale thing (again). Continue this trend.

Also, let us fill in some of that gap. I know it's nice for DMs to have an open area they can "fill in" with their own stuff, but it's far better for them to have the information to use if they want, and ignore it if they don't, rather than be FORCED to make it all up.

Bottom Line?

5e is our opportunity to pull everything together and move forward with a strong, vibrant Realms that is better than ever before.

(Also: yay!)

Now let's get to work.

Cheers

As long as the give us the material to run our games in any time period then I will be happy. I can tell you that I won't be running anything after the Spellplague because that was something I hated.

Personally I would love a restart of the whole thing but i don't really see that happening. I hope they go back to actually printed lots of campaign material and not this three book mess.
I really think they should create world books (like the upcoming one on Menzoberranzan) that are as close to 100% story as possible with as few actual game mechanics and stat blocks that would link the book to an edition as possible.  Then, instead of printing yet another Forgotten Realms campaign guide, they can continue to grow the detail of the world with books like Neverwinter and Menz.  What's putting a bad taste in my mouth is buying the SAME books with the SAME, or slightly different, material.

As far as the novels/fiction go.  I just don't think the cruel world of book publishing will allow for anymore print novels.  I hope they don't go all eBooks, but I can see this as a somewhat viable option for some of the books.  I hope if they go this route, they only go part way (at least for the next 10 years).  I'd love to see more fiction in DDI.  Stories, novellas, even a serialized novel would be cool.  Actually, I really like that idea.  I just read a serialized novel in the Paris Review and really enjoyed it over the course of a year.
I really don't want to burst your impression of Ed; but most of his charcaters were Mary's Sues to begin with; he even jokes about it.

With all due respect, right now people are giving their two cents.

Yes, the debates will come, but this thread isn't meant to be a space for them; it's a space for people to express their desires for the Realms. Those desires won't always be the same, but again, let's save the debates for another day.

How about we let people have their say and leave it at that?

I really don't want to burst your impression of Ed; but most of his charcaters were Mary's Sues to begin with; he even jokes about it.

With all due respect, right now people are giving their two cents.

Yes, the debates will come, but this thread isn't meant to be a space for them; it's a space for people to express their desires for the Realms. Those desires won't always be the same, but again, let's save the debates for another day.

How about we let people have their say and leave it at that?

I really think you misinterpted my post; I wasn't debating anyone and I agree folks should have their say.....

without being singled out. 

After mulling it over, I suppose I do have a few personal wishes besides what I previously mentioned:

1. Keep the gods out of the forefront - Besides the 100-year jump, the biggest complaint going into 4E was the deicide-a-palooza, and while I'm not damning the designers' decision, I don't see the need to shake up the pantheon with this next transition. Keep the details light, and leave the pantheon much as it is now. If they want to spice things up, address gods who were kept in the background (Shaundakul is a perfect example), and give the typical write-up as to how the gods of light are forever clashing with the gods of darkness, but avoid events that feature divine conflicts or discuss the actions of the divine. A good tactic would be to concentrate on the various churches and sects themselves, and how these factions have made a splash (if any).

2. Focus more on politics - Netheril was built up to an extreme degree, as were Thay, Baldur's Gate, and Cormyr. I'd like to see some more interaction between these entities, as most of us were expecting some great conflict to erupt between two or more. I'm not advocating launching a massive war, but greater attention to hostilities and alliances would be terrific. I'd also enjoy attention being given to other powers, like Tethyr or Chessenta, which have typically boasted considerable military might and influence.

3. Breathe life into Abeir - As it is, Abeir is just... well, there. Its shards - Akanul, Tymanther, etc - have been interesting, but I still feel there's a lot more with which to work. Abeir's return should still have major consequences, but addressing these has been touch-and-go. I'd like to see that change.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I really think you misinterpted my post; I wasn't debating anyone and I agree folks should have their say.....

Very well. I apologize for misinterpreting your prior posts.

3. Breathe life into Abeir - As it is, Abeir is just... well, there. Its shards - Akanul, Tymanther, etc - have been interesting, but I still feel there's a lot more with which to work. Abeir's return should still have major consequences, but addressing these has been touch-and-go. I'd like to see that change.

I'd like to second this. Abeir is overdue for some major love.

I think what personally I would like to see is more attention paid to the areas like moonshaes, Aglarond, Kara-Tur, and Al-Qadim.  And while I'm not a fan of Ret-conning by any means I would like to see Waterdeep brought back to the days of its Pre Spelljammer glory when undermountain was more  Moria like and less pocket universe.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the Gyth, the Illithads or Spelljammer proper I just think it was shoehorned into the city in a ungainly way. I would also like to see Daggerdale become more like the Daggerdale of the Silver six and less like whatever the hell is happening to it lately.

There is more...but I want to see which way the wind is blowing before I elaborate. 

Personally I kinda like "Abeir", but for the new releases of the Realms I'd rather just ignore it as a part of the Realms, and go back to Abeir just being one part of the name of the planet that Faerun exists on, Abeir-Toril, like it always was.
After mulling it over, I suppose I do have a few personal wishes besides what I previously mentioned:

1. Keep the gods out of the forefront - Besides the 100-year jump, the biggest complaint going into 4E was the deicide-a-palooza, and while I'm not damning the designers' decision, I don't see the need to shake up the pantheon with this next transition. Keep the details light, and leave the pantheon much as it is now. If they want to spice things up, address gods who were kept in the background (Shaundakul is a perfect example), and give the typical write-up as to how the gods of light are forever clashing with the gods of darkness, but avoid events that feature divine conflicts or discuss the actions of the divine. A good tactic would be to concentrate on the various churches and sects themselves, and how these factions have made a splash (if any).

2. Focus more on politics - Netheril was built up to an extreme degree, as were Thay, Baldur's Gate, and Cormyr. I'd like to see some more interaction between these entities, as most of us were expecting some great conflict to erupt between two or more. I'm not advocating launching a massive war, but greater attention to hostilities and alliances would be terrific. I'd also enjoy attention being given to other powers, like Tethyr or Chessenta, which have typically boasted considerable military might and influence.

I agree very much with 1 and 2.  My biggest complain with the realms has always been, it seems  very "safe" and stable.  I mean, yeah, an orc horde can come and stomp a village, but as far as adventuring, you're not going to "save the world" so to speak and that's something that really has always drawn me into RPGs.  In Dragonlance, you had the dragonarmies trying to take over in the name of Takhisis.  In LoTR, Sauron is trying to take over all of middle earth.  The realms are just a bit lighter, and I'd like to see a little more darkness...some real powerhouses threatening large areas with domination.  Perhaps the enclave of Selunarra (Opus) returning and allying with Luruar or Cormyr vs a Shade Enclave alliance would make for some interesting politics.

I've always been a Shaundakul fan and have been hoping for more info on him for a while now.  I'm kind of assuming he's reduced to an Exarch of Mielikki or Silvanus now, but that's just a guess.  As I mentioned earlier, bring back the goddess of Magic.  Honestly, I am a kinda hoping for a Mystryl come back rather then a Mystra comeback.  We have Netheril back, we should have the original goddess of Magic too!

I'd prefer if they came out with a sourcebook detailing Abeir/returned Abeir.  We know it's another continent on Toril now.  Focus Faerun lore on Faerun, and let a DM tie in Abeir if he wants to.  Neither continent really /need/ the other to stand on their own and make for an interesting campaign.  They could sink that whole continent into the ocean and I'd be just as happy.  I have no need or desire for Abeir lore at all.

Awesome post. This part especially. (and the Shaundekul bit) I really want to see Abeir fleshed out.

As I said elsewhere, I'd also like to see a set of articles on Abeir. Like, the sister world Abeir. And the FR kingdoms that got dropped over there + the Matztika (sp) continent.

"New" campaign setting with built in recognition and a chunk of the work already done, and some really cool potential plot hooks. I'd go about 5-15 years after the spellplague. A world in conflict between the dragon overlords who have ruled for millennia, and the free people of (that one kingdom that the DB or Tymanther are from) and the people moved from FR.

Awesome.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Sign In to post comments