Can Nentir Vale fit in anywhere with Forgotten Realms?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm sure this discussion came up in the past. I was wondering if it fit in well anywhere in particular and if there were any maps that have been created.

Thanks in advanced.
Maybe not anywhere.  The Vale might not fit very well in the Great Glacier region for instance but yeah, pretty much anywhere ;).  

Some assumptions are made about the D&D World  It's fantastic, ancient, mysterious.  It's easy to play with any or all of these assumptions but otherwise the world is generic.  

Fallcrest and the surrounding Nentir Vale are ready-to-go examples of 'points of light' assumptions.  Use 'em to stir the imagination, as springboards to creating your own stuff.  Or, the map might find a place in existing settings like Forgotten Realms.

= = =

In the DMG, Nentir Vale is described as a northern land, bitterly cold but with very little snow.  Even the summers are cool and mild.  Sounds like it might fit in pretty well around the Dalelands region. 
/\ Art
I'm sure this discussion came up in the past. I was wondering if it fit in well anywhere in particular and if there were any maps that have been created.

Thanks in advanced.

Hi.

When I started my current campaign with my sons, I decided to use the Points of Light "setting", but chose to place it into the Forgotten Realms, since they (my sons) knew that world from the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights games.

I looked for a place that would fit, eventually settling on the area of Sembia, in the Dalelands, since it had some fitting similarities.

For example:
- The [Forgotten Realms] Thunder Peaks would correspond to the [Nentir Vale] Cairngorm Peaks;
- Archenbridge [FR] would correspond to Harkenwold [NV];
- Archwood [FR] would correspond to Harken Forest [NV];
- Arkhen River [FR] would correspond to the Winter River [NV];

When I heard about the expanded map from Conquest of Nerath, I was a little bit afraid that I might have to disassociate my "world" from the Realms, since it would not fit anymore (however loosely).

But then, I was pleased to see that it still fits, somewhat, somewhere in the Sea of Fallen Stars.

So that was how I did it.

Hope it helps.
Alternatively, you could put it in the greater Forgotten Realms Setting without really modifying any of the FR canon.  I.e. a large "UK" style island off the coast, or on one of the unknown continents like Osse.  
The Vale might not fit very well in the Great Glacier region for instance but yeah, pretty much anywhere.

Just isolating this statement for its simple truth.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Thanks for the input everyone!
Not sure if this will help any, but they released a Forgotten Realms conversion for Keep on the Shadowfell when it first came out that placed Winterhaven on the East Way, between Arabel and Highmoon, deep in the Thunder Peaks. 
I placed the Nentir Vale in the Kingdom of Amn.
I rescaled the Nentir Map and placed it over the Snake Wood.

Not sure if this will help any, but they released a Forgotten Realms conversion for Keep on the Shadowfell when it first came out that placed Winterhaven on the East Way, between Arabel and Highmoon, deep in the Thunder Peaks. 

I actually did see that conversion for Keep on the Shadowfell. I'll probably start there.
I placed the Nentir Vale in the Kingdom of Amn.
I rescaled the Nentir Map and placed it over the Snake Wood.

I like this idea alot as well. Well done with the new map.
I prefer the old maps and placed the vale on top of the High Moor

landwaster.co.uk/dnd/images/NewSwordCoas...
That is a nice map.

HAND OF KARSUS!

That is a nice map.

Cheers, I've long been a fan of The Sword Coast (I'm using Ad&d source books with 4e) and I'm enjoying using parts of the Nentir Vale adventures so it was nice to find a slot for it on the High Moor
That is a nice map.

Yes, i like that one too.

I actually did see that conversion for Keep on the Shadowfell. I'll probably start there.

I just used your map to fit Nentir Vale directly into my newly purchased Forgotten Fealms Campaign guide.  I hand traced what I needed, then filled it in with both D&D Essentials DMG and the Forgotten Realms big map.  Getting to Loudwater is now the problem, but since I had the Halls of the Undermountain dungeon book, the teleported stream in room 6a if entered, can dump the party into now a slightly less clean well right where to goblins will shortly attack Loudwater.  The other town well takes characters back to room 6a.  Both wells are connected to the river for the fish.  A teleportation circle in the Twisting Halls I used to get Farallax the White Dragon, more kobolds, and the player party, from the Twisting Halls to some otherwise unmarked rooms in the Halls of the Undermountain.  Kobold tunnels allow easy access to Downshadow plus the bottom of the Great Chasm.  A kobold tunnel that adventurers must crawl prone through connects the Hall of Many Pillars to the floor of The Great Chasm, so that any sunrod or the like in use, attracts the green slime to drop in on a prone advenurers as shadowhunter bats and kobold archers are also in ambush.