Alchemical Questions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I hope this is the right section for this thread. My character got killed by a Fire Giant, and I'm making a new one. I figured I'd try an Artificer, but before I do, I have some questions about Alchemy, chief among which is:
Where are the alchemical potion in the Character Builder? There's Alchemical Formulas, but they don't have the potions or stats of said potions that I can see. I can look them up, but I'd rather have them on my Character Sheet if able.
Also, some Alchemical Formulas Discriptions confuse me. For example, in Alchemist's Fire, it says

Level  Componant Cost
   2               25 gp
   7             100 gp
  12            500 gp
  17         2,600 gp
  22         13,00 gp
  27       65,000 gp

What does this mean? Is it my level or the potion's level? And if it's the potion's level, does that make it more powerful? And then how does it scale from the original?

I know that it seems like I know so little for making a paragon (12th level) character, but the Alchemy is all I'm having trouble with. I'm sure that if the potions themselves are nestled in some hidden alcove of the Character Builder, I wouldn't need any help, but as far as I can see, all that is there are the base summaries of the potions of the Alchemical Formulas that don't show any actual stats besides what's needed to make it.
Have you ever wanted to play a character out of the norm? A character... reviled by society, something that offers you a unique role-playing challenge? Have you ever wanted to play something more hated and innately evil then Drow? Have you ever wanted to be a...Mind Flayer? Page 8 has the current complete version.
The actual Alchemical items should be under Items and then something like Alchemical or Consumable. They're not with the formulas, as the formulas are just the option to brew the potion.

And yes the level refers to the level of the potion, when you look up the item you'll see the different versions. Higher level potions will deal more damage and have better attack rolls, generally.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Found it, and boy can I just say I feel like an EXTREME derp right now. In my defense, however, I did have to use the search feature to find it as it still doesn't appear anywhere else that I can see. Nonetheless, thanks for he help.
Have you ever wanted to play a character out of the norm? A character... reviled by society, something that offers you a unique role-playing challenge? Have you ever wanted to play something more hated and innately evil then Drow? Have you ever wanted to be a...Mind Flayer? Page 8 has the current complete version.
I've also been looking an Item called the Alchemical Launcher. It looks something like this:

Alchemical Launcher               Level 5
This springloaded armpiece fires alchemical items with great accuracy and without exposing your attack.
Arms Slot Item                       1000
Prerequisite: You must have the living construct racial trait to use this item.
Item Slot: Arms
Properties
You gain a +1 item bonus to attack rolls with consumable alchemical item powers and you don't provoke opportunity attacks for making ranged or area attacks with alchemical items.

a) By "ranged or area alchemical item powers" does it mean like an attack made with a vial of Alchemist' fire? and
b) Is it any good, as far as you know? 
I was creating an alchemist a few weeks ago and ran into the same thing.  The items themselves don't show up on any of the lists, but if you know what you want you can search for it specifically and it's there.

Note that the launcher is only for "living constructs", which means only Warforged or Shardmind (I think) races can use it.  You might be better off with a pair of Alchemists Gloves, which give you a straight +2 to attacks with alchemical items.  If you were doing Warforged though, the no-OAs clause on the launcher is nice.

In case you hadn't run across this before, just a heads up on alchemy - the attacks and damage don't tend to be very good, so don't assume you'll be using it a lot of the time.  The more useful alchemical items are those used outside of combat.  Alchemy can be kind of a trap if you aren't careful, because you'll spend all your money on making the consumable items, which once you use them they're gone.  While you are sitting there making Blastpatches, your buddy is saving up for a +5 sword.  When he buys that sword, your +2 implement is going to start looking a little shoddy.  But hey, you have a couple Blastpatches... 

Not saying it's bad, just saying be careful not to overdo it.  Personally, I'm really looking forward to my Artificer too!

Note that the launcher is only for "living constructs", which means only Warforged or Shardmind (I think) races can use it.  You might be better off with a pair of Alchemists Gloves, which give you a straight +2 to attacks with alchemical items.  If you were doing Warforged though, the no-OAs clause on the launcher is nice.

Since my character is hopping in at 12th level, and his paragon path is Self-Forged (cut off his arm and attached a Warforged one), my DM is letting me use this item, even though the paragon feature for Warforged Componants isn't till 16th level. I know that this isn't a warforged componant per se, but I have a really cool DM.