You Make the Card Championships 2011 [Voting]

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to the fourth and final stage of the You Make the Card Championships!  Seven contestants entered the ring and were presented with a challenging criterion.  Here are the contestants and the categories they represent:

Most Creative Mind: Mown
Best Contest Holder: OutsideTheAsylum
Best Judge: Yarium
Best Set Designer: CKY
Most Likely to be an Intern at R&D: Imidazoline
Best Newcomer: Echo Robin
Invitational: 13th Horseman

Elevate, last year's winner, presented them with a devious challenge that would force the contestants to think outside the box.  Here was his challenge:

A little while back, Q contacted me in regards to Champs 2011 with a message that could be described as a short novel. In summation, he said he wanted me to start pondering on a criteria for it - one that is sufficiently challenging for the gravity of the event, but one that was not as f***** ridiculous as last year's, since the ranking feedback was laughably small.

Me being me, I put it at the back of my mind and continued studying for my university exams.

Flash forward two months.

Mono contacted me in regards to Champs 2011 with a message that could be described as a short sentence, namely "If you could get your criterion to me as soon as you can, that would be great."

It being my duty as reigning champion, I felt it appropriate to weave some of my essence into my criteria, which is as follows:

Design seven cards. Each card must break one or more rules of Magic (you must quote the broken rules in your submission). Each card must flavourfully resonate with each other card.

If a contestant is to have the greatest chance of winning Champs 2011, he or she must have a firm grasp of innovation, mechanical prowess, flavourful prowess, and must be able to deliver all these in an elegant package.

Therein lies your challenge. Go forth and seek inspiration, my fellow card designers.

P.S. I am aware that a significant percentage of contestants may dislike this criteria. Part of being a great designer is the ability to work with any criteria required of you. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

The contestants had two weeks to complete the challenge.  Here are their entries, placed in sblocks because 49 cards takes up a lot of room.

OutsideTheAsylum: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
CKY: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Yarium: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Imidazoline: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Echo Robin: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
13th Horseman: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Mown: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

You may vote for one contestant.  To make your vote loud and clear, please bold your vote so I can avoid any confusion.  I'll leave the voting round open for 8 days.  If there happens to be a tie by the time I update it that Monday, then we'll have a runoff round where you can only vote for one of the tied contestants.

Alright contestants, it's out of your hands now.  All you can do now is plead with the random posters of YMtC who wander in here to vote for you.

Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Hm, it appears spoiler tags are being retarded despite all of the sblock tags matching up.  I guess I'll go with the "link to the post" method.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Imidazoline
It's "Ko"
Should I italic and underline it as well, with different colours?

Outside The Asylum.
In normal form
Outside the Asylum
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
With all due respect to Elevate (Who is amazing and handsome), I kind of hated this criteria. I really think that it's more difficult to design interesting cards within the bounds of the rules than it is design cards that break them. And there are only so many rules that are really worth explicitly breaking, which is why most of the contestants chose many of the same ones.

And seven cards cards a piece? It's asking a lot of the community to read through 49 cards and accompanying commentary, arbitrarily rate them as groups, and then choose a winner. This is a contest that traditionally already has a problem with getting enough voters. I think three cards is enough to get the point across.

None of the entries really wowed me, which is probably because of my distate for the critera itself. But after reading through them all, I'm going to have to give my vote to Mown
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I made a complicated chart.
It ranked each of the designers as well as each of their designs.

In the end, my vote goes to Imidazoline
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
No offence to anyone, but I found most of the submissions rather dull. Currently it's a toss-up between Outside_the_Asylum and Mown. I'll review the submissions again later and explain my rationale.

Edit: And maybe Imi as well
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
I would like to ask, what was last years ridiculous criteria?
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
I would like to ask, what was last years ridiculous criteria?

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Enjoy.
That really hurt.
Also
That really hurt.

I know right.
Vote: Outside_The_Asylum

Personal note on one card
I like all of the submissions except Shinha Gate. In Magic, can't always beats can, so the Gate doesn't get rid of indestructibility. If a permanent is indestructible, it can't be destroyed, which directly contradicts the "can be destroyed" ability on the Gate so the rules say the can't wins. However, if the card had been worded "All other permanent aren't indestructible", which isn't really a can't, but...I think it would've worked. Because if cannot/can't beats can, then is not/are not/isn't/aren't should beat is/are.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

I made a complicated chart.
It ranked each of the designers as well as each of their designs.

I would like to see this chart - I like charts.
Maybe after the votes.

Also, I am honestly interested in why people are voting the way they are. Really.
Imidazoline.
I'll give a or to each of the cards in the order they were posted:

OutsideTheAsylum - CKY - Yarium -
Imidazoline - Echo Robin - 13th Horseman - Mown -

So my vote goes to Mown.
First of all, I need to address the criteria. IMO it can be interpreted in two ways:
1) literally breaking the MtG comprehensive rules; or
2) figuratively breaking "unspoken" rules of Magic (such as not printing +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in the same block, tapping enchantments etc.)

I feel the 2nd interpretation of the criteria is far more interesting than the 1st. I mentioned in the previous thread that most Magic cards that are of any interest break the comprehensive rules in one way or another - hence the "golden rule of magic". It'd be too easy to design a card that breaks the rules this way, and not much justification is needed for breaking them.

On the other hand, breaking unspoken rules allows for more interesting (though not necessarily innovative) designs, and the designer can also be judged based on his/her justification for breaking those rules.

That being said, only CKY (sidenote: censorship FTW) went with the 2nd interpretation. That might explain why I found most of the submissions boring, since almost everyone picked the most obvious rules to break, but meh. On to individual thoughts/comments!

Outside_the_Asylum
Definitely think you were one of the better ones. In particular, Absolvo Preemptor and Thrull Gatecrasher stood out as the more interesting submissions of the whole contest. I dislike Shinha Gate though, due to ambiguous wording issues (I'm not sure "other permanents can be destroyed" works the way you want it to, but I might be wrong), but mostly because I really really dislike monocolour hybrid costs. Your other submissions were alright.

CKY
You decided to go with the interpretation that I found more interesting, but unfortunately I didn't really like your execution of it. The cards were all solid and printable, with good justifications for each of them, but they were also dull and unimaginative from a design standpoint.

Don't take this the wrong way, your cards were nowhere near bad, but they weren't great either, and I don't think your designs were enough to win the title of YMtC Champion.

Yarium
IIRC, your original submission was pretty different from the current one - it was more in line with the 2nd interpretation of the criteria. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I preferred your old submissions from what little I can remember of it.

But moving on, I thought "Fear of X" was okay, but "Half-Cast" needs a way better name. Again I thought most of your cards fell prey to the same issue like everyone else's - they weren't bad, but they weren't anything special either.

Imidazoline
Imi, your submissions confuse me. You probably have the most innovative and interesting submissions of the entire contest, but the line "Planeswalker Enchantment" just bugs me so badly for some reason. I guess I don't really like the flavour issues they bring up. What exactly is a planeswalker enchantment? Why does it have loyalty?

But that aside, I liked your first four cards, and thought the next two were okay. I find it ironic that the only card I had problems with was the last one that was an actual Planeswalker. It just doesn't have that "wow" factor I feel a planeswalker card must have, which tends to happen when you don't give it an ultimate. Meh, walkers are incredibly hard to design correctly IMO.

Echo_Robin
I don't have much to say about your submissions unfortunately, again, like most of the others, they were just alright, but nothing particularly interesting that hasn't already been done before. Volrug, the Mindshaper might be slightly too strong, since running blue will ensure that your hand is almost always full.

13th_Horseman
I thought Curse of Crushing Knowledge was pretty cool. I'm a little worried that Prosperity's Advocate might cause way too much memory problems, but nothing pen and paper can't solve. The other submissions were just decent. Nothing else I think I can say, I already feel like a broken record.

Mown
I think you, Outside_the_Asylum, and Imi had the more innovative submissions overall. I really liked the mechanics and flavour of Adonis, Warfare Sentinel, and I thought Mount Kulrath and Liferoot Ancient were pretty interesting too. And again, your other submissions were alright, nothing really wrong with them.

I'm currently still undecided on who to vote for, honestly. I initially thought it would be either OtA or Mown, but looking at Imi's submissions again, I felt they were pretty good too as long as I ignored the Planeswalker Enchantment thing. I was hoping someone would argue with me about this.
I have to agree Chintastica, I liked my first too. However, when it was re-iterated what the EXACT criteria was (which was your #1 interpretation), I had to totally revamp my cards.

Pretty much this. I think a lot of us actually intended to do a combination of the two.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

In answer to Chin's question
Here in case you want to vote first
Planeswalker Enchantments are illusionary, projected planeswalkers. They could represent an aspect of the player, or just a tactical tool. I could have just gone with walkers without subtypes I suppose, but I really think they should be able to be disenchanted.
Imz, I loooovvvee your submission;  It took me a quick second to realize what was going on when I first read the Lurefly, but after I got it it was so amazing.

Comments about Imz

I was only saddened by the fact that you chose to make most of your submissions Planeswalker Enchantments, as well as a repeated 'Rule Break' for unblocked creatures dealing damage.  I think a few of those cards could/should have been tossed for things besides just PW/E types, possibly that could have interacted with loyalty (No, don't mention clockspinning) or the enabling of mutiple abilities usedby a PW in one turn?  (Target Planeswalker may activate an ability twice this turn, or such).
The Pay-life one is sweet;
the Lurefly is brilliant (I love cards that present such a complete package, like an answer to itself for your opponent);
the Mimic was alright;
I don't like the Vicious, mostly since it seems like it would end up doing almost no damage (It's a triggered ability, so it'll most likely be down to what, 2 or 1 loyalty?) so it just seems poor in general After considering it a bit, I realize I'm not entirely sure if it does or doesn't do damage, but an alright idea;
The tactician is meh, it's basically a one shot effect, and certainly a man-intensive card (Compared to Circles?  Way too expensive effect, and it's over once you use it); 
The Hand-size one is suitable and fun, presents choices for players and advantages, I like it;
I was confused by your comment on Tisay though, did you intend to mean that his sub-type would be left out of the CR, or just to list the CR's entry+Tisay without copy&pasting it?  Besides that he has flavor and I think is a fairly unique and fun planeswalker, although as Chin said, with out the wow-factor which inspires many players, Would certainly be a blow to Timmy's heart to hope this card.

I definately thing the lack of variation in your entry was a blow to it though ;c  I love the combined type, and the effects you could throw out there, I just would have liked to see things that take advantage of or interact with that type in other ways.

Onwards!
OtA?  I enjoyed looking through your cards, and most were fairly neat.
More for OtA

I.. don't know how I feel about the Ancient?  It should cost more so it's a late drop and doesn't neuter your hand, or it should be considered a draw-back of some sort.  As a 4 CmC creature, it'll most likely drop with maybe 3 creatures total on board?  I guess if you've been emptying your hand (Land+a few creatures) it could work out.  Actually I guess it's pretty fine all things considered, just seems more Draw-back-y than a reward;
Absolvo is fairly sweet, did I ever tell you I love the Chancellors?  It's a cool ability that could see play, and probably isn't terribly busted;
Decree, eh yeah, that happened.  Fair card, not hyper-exciting though;
The Gatecrasher I think is interesting as well, though I think it could be better as a Zombie (Maybe?  For tribal interaction, and use past turn 1/2 perhaps?)  I had questioned setting your life total to 10, but it looks like it won't raise it often.. looks.. could be abusive if a player could turn 1/2 pay almost all their life, and use this to gain back up.  The mechanics of the draw-back however are fairly sound.  I dunno about ballance, it would depend on meta (Like when Lightning Bolt was in T2, and this would be worthless?);
I almost feel like Shinha should have been an indestuctable land xP  It seems solid, nothing wrong with it (Beyond potential wording tweeks);
Fateful does not present much work load the first time (Literally flip the libarary), but the second time would be a pain, to flip each card over, to reverse the deck and reveal it.  It's kinda durpy, but durpy effects are what people make the funniest decks out of;
Thule is interesting, it might be hard to get him to go off, since he can't tag lands, though I guess he could tag things you already own, that are near-to-low cost if you're just tyring to Ultimate.

I enjoyed how CKY tried to break the Rules of the Criteria (Before Elevate takes-y-backs-y'd), but joking aside, I did enjoy the concepts a bit, though somewhat radical.  CKY definately brings a different perspective to design, even in respects to the game as a whole, which I can apreciate, but I can't say I agree with some of the points.
I struggle with the idea of power-creep getting too out of hand, and common 3/3s for seem to be pushing things.  There will always be ballance.  And there will always be terrible cards, and good cards, you can't take that away, it's just true.  Not all paths to victory can be viable (Although I agree that nerf-bat Land-D/Denial does not open any interesting paths).
It was a fun entry to look over.  The cards kinda hit-or-miss, it was a lot closer to a theoretical discussion on the state of MtG, rather than just about fun/interesting designs, ya know?  I liked it, but I don't think it competes with some of the other entries.

Echo & 13th & Yarium didn't leave me thinking of much or terribly wowed.  Perhaps on par, but not the best submissions.

Subsequently, my vote goes to Mown;  His submission was the best in my opinion.  The cards were elegant, varried (Many would not bother with Planes, I'm sure).
Compared to Imz, I feel that he beat him out because of the depth of his submission.
Compared to OtA, I think Mown's were simply a cut above, with less 'Meh' kind of cards.  I also was not terribled compelled by OtA's flavor, though he did submit a might bit of it, I just felt so much more draw to the ones submitted along side Mown's few cards that had flavor.

Anywho, I gotta get out of here;  I guess if anyone I didn't talk about your cards in more depth wants, I could possibly have time in the future, just let me know.
ok i always judge by crtieria first, then mechanics (mostly by innovation), and if i like the flavor i will give it some bonus.
I will stay true to my judging style.
each card gets a score of 0 - 2
2: meeting criteria and creative. Never before seen and workable mechanics might score this as well. otherwise, a "1" card that I really appreciate.
1: innovative design with possible flaws
0: most cards default to this if i know that it's doing something existing magic is already doing.

[spoiler why choose the hand size rule!? : (]Just a quick note, some technicality stuff. Changing your max hand size is not breaking rules. The rule stated that you HAVE a max hand size. then suggest it starts off (normally) at 7. So unless you remove the handsize altogether, it's not really breaking the rule. So many people went for that route that i feel kinda depressing. The more depressing fact is when you have to go down that rule, the card automatically needs some kind of draw mechanic to make use of it.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler CKY: 1]0000100
sorry i don't like the interpretation of the criteria. I like your direction of thinking though.[/spoiler]
[spoiler 13th: 1]0001000
counting abilities is a nightmare. (like i heard arguments like suspend is actually 3 abilities hidden in 1 keyword) occasionally design like this surfaces and turned down quickly on this board.

Everyone is doing it is more the reason not to. not "why not?" : ( This is the board you demostrate innovation, which i interpret loosely as doing something no one has done before.[/spoiler]
[spoiler yarium: 3]0010200
Wording issues in competing for championship is unacceptable. that trident thing seems to lack proofread ;(
Hats off to half cast, and everything else is unexciting.
Fear of something is cute but not winning cute.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler imi: 4]0100012
It's a bold idea. But I don't understand why everything has to be planeswalker enchantment or related to it. it feels very one-note and the imi i know definitely has way way more tricks than this. So i consider this is far from imi's best.
Out of all the planeswalker enchantment usage, i find only the real planeswalker at the end has obvious and real justification using them. the others are confusing and their concept is hard to grasp in a vacuum. I also highly doubt wizards will use the planeswalker type like that with so much thought and guts put into it by introducing it. So in general i think this submission is the least printable of all.
 I like the block restriction and paylife substitution. [/spoiler]
[spoiler echo: 5]1101101
Yawn! more doran variation. I appreciate the take being unrelated to the creature itself. but imo, spinning off from such a famous card is a strike.
Overall solid entries. 
[/spoiler]
[spoiler outside: 5]0100022
The reverse library is fun and thoughtful. Probably not worth a 2 but i like it a lot so i gave it bonus lol.
Damage doesn't cause loss of life - also a highlight.
I gave a point to the i play and draw first. But i don't think it works. And what happens when both players reveal it? This should worth a 0 but again, no one went this route so i gave it originality bonus.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler mown: 9]2211102
I hate you for being so brilliant. A few rules also have not been ventured by your fellow contestants and i admire you even more for that.[/spoiler]

Not sure if i need to apologize for my very one-dimensional judging style. Since this is a voting system, i think it will be balanced by all the other opinions.

My vote goes to mown handsdown.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
The one card you didn't like was the Plane?
But that's my Ace.

Anyway, to Harlie. Just picked it up randomly. Imi's last card is referring to:
205.3j Planeswalkers have their own unique set of subtypes; these subtypes are called planeswalker types. The planeswalker types are Ajani, Bolas, Chandra, Elspeth, Garruk, Gideon, Jace, Karn, Koth, Liliana, Nissa, Sarkhan, Sorin, Tezzeret, and Venser.

It's a bit like my Land submission. He introduces a new planeswalker, I introduce a new type of mana.

Yxoque wrote:

What Mown said about my last card rule.

Also Chin, I think I know why 'Planeswalker Enchantment' bugs you so much - because it should read 'Enchantment Planeswalker'. Makes a lot more sense that way.
It seems as though the curse will remain alive for yet another year.

Vote: Mown.
I can live with that.

Also, Imi joined in 04? Woah.

Yxoque wrote:

Sorry i hog this board too much to know your ace trick : P

Think i saw you used it one too many time.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Yeah, but I've only actually been 'active' since '08 - when my first YMtC entry was.
But I don't understand why everything has to be planeswalker enchantment or related to it.

Part of the criteria was to make all the cards flavourfully resonate with each other. Mine does that through a mechanical thing, but I can get how it would seem repetetive.

What's the curse?

Also Chin, I think I know why 'Planeswalker Enchantment' bugs you so much - because it should read 'Enchantment Planeswalker'. Makes a lot more sense that way.

You're right. Hmmm.

What's the curse?

Winner of the first YMtC Championship: Dream Spinner, join year 2002
Winner of the second YMtC Championship: tyranno6, join year 2003
Winner of the third YMtC Championship: Pegaweb, join year 2004
Winner of the fourth YMtC Championship: Riorvard, join year 2005
Winner of the fifth YMtC Championship: Detektor, join year 2006
Winner of the sixth YMtC Championship: Elevate (Crouch), join year 2007

My guess is that the winner of the seventh will be Mown, whose join year is 2008.

What's the curse?

Winner of the first YMtC Championship: Dream Spinner, join year 2002
Winner of the second YMtC Championship: tyranno6, join year 2003
Winner of the third YMtC Championship: Pegaweb, join year 2004
Winner of the fourth YMtC Championship: Riorvard, join year 2005
Winner of the fifth YMtC Championship: Detektor, join year 2006
Winner of the sixth YMtC Championship: Elevate (Crouch), join year 2007

My guess is that the winner of the seventh will be Mown, whose join year is 2008.

crossing my finger next year will be my curse

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Hey, I could still win to keep the curse alive. I'm only 2 votes down after all. Hell, OtA is only 3 down.
Although with current level of activity that gap in votes might well be larger than it appears.

On that - only 10 votes, plus Chin's intention to vote? I mean, I know we've still got time, but come on!
Come on Imi, you know it doesn't count unless you actually joined that year.  Get with the program.
That said, when someone does break the curse, I will be impressed.
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Come on Imi, you know it doesn't count unless you actually joined that year.  Get with the program.

GODDAM IT CURSE

Anyway, to Harlie. Just picked it up randomly. Imi's last card is referring to:
205.3j Planeswalkers have their own unique set of subtypes; these subtypes are called planeswalker types. The planeswalker types are Ajani, Bolas, Chandra, Elspeth, Garruk, Gideon, Jace, Karn, Koth, Liliana, Nissa, Sarkhan, Sorin, Tezzeret, and Venser.

It's a bit like my Land submission. He introduces a new planeswalker, I introduce a new type of mana.

I'm almost offended

Do you think I don't know what a subtype is?  I feel like you misinterpreted my stance.

I was asking if Imiz meant that the CR would intentionally leave Trisay out of that Sub-type listing, or if he was just talking about the list without writing it all out.

Because he said 'Insert Cheaty-face CR entry without 'Trisay' in it' and I wasn't sure if that meant he intended the subtype to be left out after Trisay was printed (To make it so he could never 'Pop' another actual one of him), or.. the other option, of him just not actually listing it proper in his submission.
Ok it was either Mown or Imi, and I think Mown wins this, but just barely. Yeah, sorry Imi.

Vote: Mown
Ok it was either Mown or Imi, and I think Mown wins this, but just barely. Yeah, sorry Imi.

Eh, it's OK. I'll just continue to hold out hope.

The thinking behind my 'unoriginal' submission is that individual cards are just parts of a whole. It doesn't matter how awesome your design looks on paper if no one actually plays it – a game designer's job isn't to design really wicked looking game pieces, but making sure the game pieces fit together.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I have the impression that designing the next baneslayer angel was not the general direction of ymtc. Or such design would even be frown on and stamped OP. Funny i just posted a card in the chain that is a double untamed might for the same cost and the only thing that i got complain about is how OP it is. 
Then if someone design tree of redemption or platinum emperion everyone else would clap their hands. (that is before those actual cards got printed)
In short, i would say, playability - yes or even a must. wicked looking on paper - also yes. just that people are more drawn to the latter when judging.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I think if people cared less about the curse it would have been broken a long time ago
It's "Ko"
Imidazoline.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Comments reside within

Outside_the_Asylum

Rosewood Ancient: I thought it was pretty cool, then I read your notes - "I basically took this design from a contestant in my contest" wins negative points from me.
Absolvo Preemptor: This is the kind of rule-bending I can get behind.
Karvic Decree: Out of control broken.
Thrull Gatecrasher: This is incredibly swingy, too swingy to ever see print.  
Shinha Gate: "101.2. When a rule or effect allows or directs something to happen, and another effect states that it can't happen, the "can't" effect takes precedence." I also think it's a dumb idea.
Fateful Ending: Hell no. This opens up the very real possibility of cheating. 401.2 is one of those rules that should never be broken.
Thule the Undying: Really, really strong. Gaining control of stuff for +1 loyalty shouldn't happen.

There was some flavour connection between these cards, but Rosewood Ancient and Karvic Decree are just plain outliers.

CKY

Barkhide Bear: Yawn.
Snapcast: Yawn.
Soul Scythe: Yawn.
Devastating Inferno: There's a reason they don't print griefer cards: they make the game less fun. If a game isn't fun, why would you play it?
Circle of Faith: Mega yawn.
Sightscatter Magus: Pretty narrow, but printable I guess.
Gladia Angel: Yawn.

Champs is an opportunity to show off awesome design skills that impress everyone and showcase your abilities. While I'm not saying there is no room for minimal design and design theory in YMtC, I'm saying that such a bland submission such as this will not win you Champs.

Also, there is zero flavour cohesion here.

Yarium

Cold Snap: Yeah, cool. I dig how it's nearly Time Walk, but not quite.
Sigmund: That first line of rules text is pretty inspired, and I like what the card is doing overall. I am pretty disappointed of your use of the term "strength" instead of "power" though.
Skirk-Ridge Exlie: Interesting ability for a tribal-themed setting.
Mindleech Parasite: It's been done.
Charging Wilderbeasts: I actually really love this mechanic (apart from the name). It opens up some sweet exile-based design space which makes me eager to design around it.
Trident of Unsummoning: I'm gonna get technical about the criteria here - You haven't actually broken 700.6, since you're just replacing the dying event with an unsummoning.  Cool other than that.
Heart of the Void: Oh, my. Well. Firstly, this doesn't let you play lands. I don't know if this was on purpose or not. Secondly, HOLY HELL THIS GUY IS BUSTED BEYOND BELIEF.

Overall design quality was decent, however, you also seem to have no flavourful connection between your seven cards, which was a part of my criteria.

Imidazoline

Lurefly Simulacrum: lolololololololol I love the hell out of this. 
Pariah Projection: Whoa, these Planeswalker Enchantments are blowing my mind. Another strong submission.
Vicious Semblance: It's quite possible that these Planeswalker Enchantments would require playtesting, but right now, I am grinning at every one of these so far because they are so cool.
Remote Researcher: This seems like one of those ones that would need playtesting, but from where I'm sitting, it looks alright.
Battlefield Tactician: Cards that make the player think about what the hell is going on, like this one, are awesome for the game.
Murderous Mimic: Good balance here, but that flavour text should have an author.
Tisay the Traveller: Weird, in an interesting kinda way. I'll let you get away with the rule here.

My friend, you have struck design gold here. This is one of the most flawless submissions for any contest I have ever seen. By allowing players to attack and assign damage to enchantments, you have opened up a whole new world of awesome that fills me to the brim with excitement. Excellent work.

Echo_Robin

Volrug: Seems really strong, and that flavour text is quite cheesy.
Thoughtscourer: This guy also looks pretty powerful, but the constant mana investment probably makes it alright now that I think about it. Nice one.
Dancing Memories: The thing that I dislike about this card is that it could potentially drag games out into infinity. Not much else to say here.
Skulking Thief: Reminds me of Torpor Orb, except this card makes the game more boring.
Flagrant Brawler: In my time here, I've seen this design a hundred times before. Unfortunately for you, it's not the coolest interpretation.
Seedsman Sage: This is actually really interesting. You've bled this ability into green very smoothly, and if played right, this could be devastating in the early game. Great card.
Natural Procession: This seems more of a white card than a green card, seeing as green loves to play more than one land per turn if at all possible.

Some decent stuff in here, but again, I'm not feeling the flavour cohesion here.

13th_Horseman

Agmor: A very confusing card - what exactly defines an ability? Activated abilities? Triggered abilities? Static abilities? Ability words? Keywords?
Curse of Crushing Knowledge: Wayyyy to powerful.
Desperate Wish: Interesting take on the wishes, but the interest stops there I'm afraid.
Mirrorvoid: Pretty boring.
Scrying Blade: Pretty weak, from both a players perspective and a design perspective.
Prosperity's Advocate: In my Azusa, Lost but Seeking EDH deck, one of my favourite things to do is get out my Omnath, Locus of Mana and my Doubling Cube (along with my Seedborn Muse, but that doesn't contribute to the analogy I'm making here) and watch my opponent squirm as I drop massive X spells. What you've done here is made my life easier and less challenging. You've made a one card combo. One card combos detract from the game by making it less challenging for players.
Curse of Calmness: Yawn.

You've kept to the flavour part of my criteria, but your submissions are not though out well enough. With a contest such as Champs, you really need to think about your submissions and how they are going to impact the game, not just throw out 7 cards in half an hour.

Mown

Terramaw: Good tension here, I like it.
Adonis: Nice and neat, with good flavour and some innovation to boot. That's good design.
Unholy Adept: Another card with fantastic amounts of tension. Some strong work here so far Mown.
Paradise Tree: You seem to have overlooked the fact that this is actually absurdly powerful. Not to mention just a clean up of some wording on an otherwise boring card.
Mental Breach: That wording is pretty ugly. Good for singleton formats, especially EDH, making it quite a narrow design.
Mount Kulrath: Interesting rule to break this one. The design isn't too bad. Not much to say here.
Liferoot Ancient: I've seen this kind of thing only once or twice before, and I don't see any realy problem with it. I quite like the card.

Your submissions started off really strong, but you seemed to fade away from the fourth card onwards, which is a little disappointing. Also, flavour connection not present.

My Vote
For me, Imidazoline's submission was miles ahead of all the others, and I will be very disappointed for him if he doesn't claim the title this year. Every one of his cards made me smile with pure joy, and that is no lie. As I said in his comments section, his was one of the best submissions for any contest I've ever seen, and I have no second thoughts about casting my vote for him.