CB Journal?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I may be missing it so I'm asking here:  Is there a journal feature in the Character Builder?

Thanks.
I may be missing it so I'm asking here:  Is there a journal feature in the Character Builder?

Character journal I assume? Nope.

Which in my opinion is just fine: it has no mechanical impact, it would take a lot of space on the character sheet that is of no use to the people who don't keep character journals, it would be a bunch of purely custom content... use your word processor and text editor of choice and store it on your computer.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
The journal is important to RPGA players if it's not important to you that's fine don't use it and then no space is used. Now with that being said, did you really expect that Wizards/Hasbro would do something for the RPGA players? Wizards/Hasbro has pretty much stopped supporting RPGA players.
To quote a wise old Troll "I am a very, very old troll. Old trolls have many lessons to teach, provided you're sturdy enough not to be offended by a gruff, blunt manner." -Mr_Miscellany
The journal is important to RPGA players if it's not important to you that's fine don't use it and then no space is used.

I didn't say it isn't important. I pointed out that there's no reason it needs to be part of the character sheet itself.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Again as a RPGA player it is important and should be in the Builder. It would be nice if it was a seperate character sheet type. Then it would be usable by those that need it and could be ignored by those like warrl who see no need for it to be included in the builder or on a character sheet.
To quote a wise old Troll "I am a very, very old troll. Old trolls have many lessons to teach, provided you're sturdy enough not to be offended by a gruff, blunt manner." -Mr_Miscellany
Again as a RPGA player it is important and should be in the Builder. It would be nice if it was a seperate character sheet type. Then it would be usable by those that need it and could be ignored by those like warrl who see no need for it to be included in the builder or on a character sheet.

You're better off with a document editor and saving it on your local hard drive.  If they were to put it in the builder as you request, you'd wind up with a fixed character count because wizards doesn't want their DB growing unchecked by giving you an unsized (ulimited) field.  No matter what that limit might be, it makes such a feature less than useful.

You're better off with a document editor and saving it on your local hard drive.  If they were to put it in the builder as you request, you'd wind up with a fixed character count because wizards doesn't want their DB growing unchecked by giving you an unsized (ulimited) field.  No matter what that limit might be, it makes such a feature less than useful.

A fixed character count? Do you mean something like the 20 character limit that is currently in force? I'm assuming you haven't hit it yet then. I did some time ago and must off-load and up-load. Thankfully iPlay4e (iplay4e.appspot.com/characters) has me covered there. (But the character limit really is a seperate issue.)omething like the 20 character limit that is currently in force? I'm assuming you haven't hit it yet then. I did some time ago and must off-load and up-load. Thankfully iPlay4e (iplay4e.appspot.com/characters) has me covered there. (But the character limit really is a seperate issue.)

As far as the actual storage size of the text in a database (although these may potentially be saved as BLOBs or in table as XMLtype) this is quite minimal (Have you looked at the character dnd4e file size? Even with a journal it's hard to push over 1 MB(for a high level character (P3/E1) with extensive items and journal entries, I do have a couple that have but just barely.)  If you include images then it would get larger if they are embedded and not just stored as links. Most characters are much smaller; H Tier are hard pressed to crack 200kb.

So let me do the math @ 1mb a character multiplied by the 20 character limit = 20mb per account

Realistically it will be far less than that with the average character size being much smaller and with de-duping technology. Given the cost of storage (even Enterprise level storage) the cost is literally pennies per paid account. I am pretty sure that this community site as a whole takes up more storage than all the DDI characters do.

--

Here are two images of the code that is required in the old off-line builder for a journal entry.

Text Journal Entry:

Image Journal Entry:

You have misunderstood the kind of "character count" I was talking about.  For example, the word "count" has 5 "characters" in it.  Since you are familiar with BLOBS I'll assume that you know what varchar(1024) is and that is the kind of limit I was trying to get at.  No matter what limit they set, it will be less than useful, because they will not give you a TEXT field (unlimited).