A Hearty Thank You, and Nothing More

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
105 OOG days, 55 forum posts, and 8 sessions later, my three PC's and I have completed our first (and judging by PC's reaction, definitely not last) Dungeons and Dragons game.
I would like to thank the following people

• ToeSama

• ankiyavon

• Langrishe

• Pluisjen

• Cassan

• Plaguescarred

• Yarium

• kikuhime

• Salla

• YronimosW

• FlatFoot

• LordOfWeasels

• valshaena

• warrl

• Centauri

• iserith

• CorrinAvatan

• Chimpy20

• mvincent

• mattador666

• The-Magic-Sword

• gwydion9

• Technomaster

• Droma

• ChaosTurtle

• Grimalden

• cougon

• Elemental_Elf

• Cohen95

• DimondDust

• CorrinAvatan

• Rogue_Elendae

• therion666

• Carl_the_half_ork

• ciaran

• JayM

• Maxperson

• Kare

• DevourerOfPancakes

• DeathByDonut

• beeq

• CloudDragon

• Tempest_Stormwind

• draco1119

• Morphie

• j2.504

• StevenO

• Zamyatin

• Man_in_the_Funny_Hat

• Krusk

• Maat_Mons

• mcmillan

• Slagger_the_Chuul

• Fireclave

• Petey7

• CrowScape

• navar100

• Wystenv2

• Krale

• Complete4th

• Ogiwan

• Skewwed

• Neutronium_Dragon

• Panosl

• Lord_Ventnor

• The_Ubbergeek

for posting something on my threads. Your opinions/advice/thoughts were usually massively helpful, and I swear to the internet gods now that without these forums our game would have turned out far worse, far shorter, and above all, far less fun for all involved.
I would also like to thank my players for being helpful, patient, willing to learn, and above all, not idiotic for our entire game. They have expressed their desire to continue playing, and to continue with DnD as a (at least for now) permanent hobby.
So, what have I learned as a Dm? I adapted the 4.0 adventure HS1 The Slaying Stone, which is built for five players, into a 3.5 adventure for three players. The Slaying Stone was, overall, a good first DnD game experience. My review of the module is as follows:
Pros of HS1 as expressed by my players or myself:

• Options regarding playing factions off of one another

• A quick chance for PCs to rise to the challenge (my players ended up wiping the goblins from the city)

• The option for fun NPC's. Tyristys the Dragon, Kiris AlKirk the heir to the city, and Kiris Hoyt the wererat brother (script says cousin) to AlKirk were awesome and well-structured

Cons of HS1 as expressed by my players or myself:

• Tyristys is overpowered. If the players somehow fail her skill challenge, there isn't really much they can do versus a dragon.

• Too much running around with an unfocused plotline. Players spent several sessions hopping from one end of the city to the other without too much real progress. Partly my fault as DM for the way encounters were set up, but also the open nature of the city build presented by HS1

• The open city presented the players with the option of simply buckling down inside buildings and/or forest for multiple days at a time for no purpose other than to revive dying players back to health or wait for things to happen. Once again, partly my fault as DM for not initiating some kind of time-limit pressing on the players, but still, when one player is almst dead theres really nothing the PCs can do other than spend several days until he's healed.

• The absence of any kind of friendly power/merchant in the area. I ended up adding a traveling merchant to the forest so the PCs had some place to sell their stuff, but otherwise are alone in the city.

For the future, I'm planning on more linear, straightforward clear-the-dungeon mission that will cut down on the free roam through forest and city. This will hopefully cut down at least on my workload, as I won't have so many random encounters and such going on throughout all corners of the open world.
So, to summarize. Thank you all, forum-goers, for helping my group along our quest. HS1 the Slaying Stone is a satisfactory module and we enjoyed it. We will be continuing with the hobby, and whether that means HS2 (which I've heard is less awesome), a fight against Dreus (heretonow unscripted), a dive into Psionics (which intimidated the hell out of me the first time so I ignored it), or something new altogether. Thank you all, long live 3.5, and may all your hits be crits.
Currently DMing a 3.5e AoW game one night a week. Players are almost through Three Faces of Evil. If you are considering beginning this campaign using this edition, I can help.
I posted on a 3.5 thread? I feel dirty. 

But, I'm glad you like the hobby, and more glad you had fun. Game on! 

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Defenders: We ARE the wall!

I've replaced the previous Edition Warring line in my sig with this one, because honestly, everybody needs to work together to make the D&D they like without trampling on somebody else's D&D.

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
There must be a way we can turn this well-meaning thread into a flame war. Ideas?

Glad to be of help and I hope your future games are as fun or more fun than your last.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

Here, Have Some Free Material From Me: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Dark Sun Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Generated D&D 5e PCs

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Woohoo, first mentioned. Suck on that losers XD

Erm... I mean... You're welcome kind sir

But truth be told, I don't even remember what it was I helped on XD
Glad to be of assistance, and good to hear that it actually helped. Many good gamings to you!
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
A crazy thing is that while a lot of issue may have been about 3.5 I don't think I ever saw most of them on the Previous Editions board.

I know I used to visit the "What's a DM to do?" and "What's a Player to do?" boards (along with most of the others) before 4e came along to become the dominant force in DnD.  Now I visit the usually quiet PE board and the SWSE boards although a lot of what's on the "what's a" boards can apply to any game edition.
Hey, glad to help.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

There must be a way we can turn this well-meaning thread into a flame war. Ideas?

Fair enough. I'm sorry.

It's just...."Long live 3.5!" at the end of his post? Come on.

I will say that his section about the Pros and Cons demonstrates that he is an attentive and responsive DM, which means that he's probably a good one. At the end of every one of my sessions, I ask my players what I did well, and what I did not do well, and try to take their feedback into account when I run. The fact that he recognizes that he has flaws means he's paying attention to how he runs, which is a hell of a lot better than thinking that you are the King Of All DMs and never re-evaluating why you are doing what you are doing.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Defenders: We ARE the wall!

I've replaced the previous Edition Warring line in my sig with this one, because honestly, everybody needs to work together to make the D&D they like without trampling on somebody else's D&D.

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Huh? I did something right this time then? *looks confused*

Ogiwan's got a good point there. It's important to try to make things as much fun as possible for the people at your table, and taking feedback is a big part of that. Goes for both DMs and players, of course.
People have been helpful and nice to me "Thanks" to those people! :D