Not sure what to add to the party

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I made a thread recently looking for a 5th man, but I decided I'm not joining that campaign.

In this one, the people are less stupid (still not optimizers) and the DM isn't a jerk to his players, so here goes.

We're starting at level 1 in the Forgotten Realms premade campaigns. The party consists of the following:

There is a Genasi Fullblade Slayer. She's a new player, but she likes the character for flavor reasons and it really should work fine (just missing +1 mod from the secondary stat.)

There is a Hamadryad Witch. Not optimized, but I tried to help her pick the best things possible (in spite of being a witch instead of one of the other two wizards), and it should work out.

A Battlemind of unknown race. He's a veteran so we have a decent defender.

A Prescient Bard with Skald Aura, focusing on implement attacks and what not.

My question is what would be a good fifth man? I kinda wanted to be a twin-strike morninglord avenger, but I'm not sure I want to deal with it for 10 levels before it hits its stride (I know it's a bit broken, but I've never played it, and I just want to see how it works outside of theoryOP.) I like to think of myself as a bit of an optimizer, about halfway between none and total optimization.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance. 
Not a suggestion for you, but for your Prescient Bard:

They won't be able to use any of their At-Wills with their Skald Aura At-Will powers, as none of them are basic attacks.  Also, I dont' believe that any bard implement encounter powers count as basic attacks, so...that could be a problem...

A suggestion for you:

Anyway, You have most things covered (if not optimally).  Int, Con, Cha, Str skills should be good, so I would suggest a Monk, Rogue, Scout, Ranger or Thief to cover the extra stiker slot and fill in some skill-holes (mostly Dex skills)

VB
I'd definitely go with a second striker.  Melee Ranger or Melee Rogue would be my personal preference, giving you 3 melee characters and 2 ranged.

Though, with a Slayer with a huge weapon in the party, an MBA/charge-granting Taclord could be quite entertaining as well.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If you want to do an avenger that should be fine for that party.  It fills skill gaps and a second striker off defender is fine.  If I was in that party I would go centered breath monk.

I agree it might be overkill to go the twin striking morninglord route if no one else is optimizing to that level.
I'd definitely go with a second striker.  Melee Ranger or Melee Rogue would be my personal preference, giving you 3 melee characters and 2 ranged.

Though, with a Slayer with a huge weapon in the party, an MBA/charge-granting Taclord could be quite entertaining as well.

With a Slayer in the party, a Warlord *is* a striker. With more healing. He has a pretty good extra-damage mechanic, too - it's the Slayer.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I might think about going Hybrid. An Elven Centered Breath Monk|Sentinel can be a lot of fun, gives you some Leader/Striker/Controller traits. Take Sense Threat over Elven Accuracy so as to boost the party's overall initiative roughly equivalent to that of a Warlord in early play.

You're really, for the most part, a Furious Kender Drunken Monk Centered Breath Monk who spends a feat for Druid Armor Proficiency(Sentinel) for Hide+Light Shield instead of Unarmored Agility for the same AC. You lose some power choice, but you gain some blocking, healing, staff as pure implement instead of weapon as implement, and access to Magic Stones and some better daily power choices.

Your Witch will love you for grouping up enemies into nice tight groups where they can suffer horribly from area attacks, particularly at Paragon where you drop the Light Shield for a Rhythm Blade Dagger for Starblade Flurry while using a Staff in your regular hand.

So the Monk/Sentinel sounds interesting. How would that work? As in, what ability scores, powers, and feats? Would I go with staff expertise or ki focus expertise? And would it be Wis/Dex with Con as a tertiary?

On the other hand, if I went warlord, would I go lazy? Or melee to provide opportunity attacks via forced movement and other effects? 
Rageblood wouldnt be a bad fit in that group either, or mybe the new berserker for some offtanking if needed, and DPR when not.
Suggestion:
It looks like you already have a good 4-man party with all the bases covered. Thus, I would NOT suggest another pure striker, but instead a more versatile 5th-man position.

I would suggest a 18dex/18wis Elf or Drow Hybrid Spring Sentinel/Rogue. This is a great 5th man build since you will be able to cover most roles in case of an absence in the party:
Leader: 1 heal per encounter + Seed of Healing utility at 2nd level (pick up Toughness feat at this lvl to help your seed and companion/summons health)
Controller: Your Wolf + Lvl 1 Druid Summon Wolf Daily (which synergizes all too well with your Wolf companion)
Striker: Rogue with likely CA every turn. Take Light Blade Expertise and stay next to your Wolf at all times for 8-21  (1d4+5 +2d6) damage with at wills at lvl 1. 

Build it up in char builder and let me know what you think.
A few questions about the rogue/sentinel:

Any reason why Drow or Elf specifically? I would probably pick one or the other anyway, but am I missing something specific?

Should I be taking implement powers, as that seems to be the main use for wisdom in the build? And if so, shouldn't I take versatile expertise? I didn't think druids could use daggers as implements. Or should I just take random druid-side powers and ignore them? That just seems like a waste, and probably isn't the point of the build.
So the Monk/Sentinel sounds interesting. How would that work? As in, what ability scores, powers, and feats? Would I go with staff expertise or ki focus expertise? And would it be Wis/Dex with Con as a tertiary?

Staff/Ki Focus Expertise depends on treasure found. Basically, do this:
Furious Kender's Drunken Monk
Be an Elf instead of Human.
Get Sense Threat. Yes, you have a Dex score, you'll still end up getting roughly +13 total init to the party, which is pretty good.
Get Druid Armor Proficiency(Sentinel) with Hybrid Talent at 1st level instead of the 2 feats Human takes.
At 2nd level, take the Expertise feat
At 4th level, take the Accurate feat instead of the option taken(and don't take that option in the future).

And pick up a Defensive Staff +1 at 2nd level

You end up with the rough defenses of his build, a useful blocker, a heal per encounter, and a very solid ranged option in the form of Magic Stones, which you can attack 3 targets with at once.

The real question is whether or not you eventually go with a Staff of Ruin instead of a Defensive Staff for long-term purposes - if yes, Staff Expertise, if no, Ki Focus Expertise.
A few questions about the rogue/sentinel:

Any reason why Drow or Elf specifically? I would probably pick one or the other anyway, but am I missing something specific?

Should I be taking implement powers, as that seems to be the main use for wisdom in the build? And if so, shouldn't I take versatile expertise? I didn't think druids could use daggers as implements. Or should I just take random druid-side powers and ignore them? That just seems like a waste, and probably isn't the point of the build.

Elf and Drow are +2 stats are Dex and Wis. Human gives you an extra feat. These three are the only real contenders for an optomized Sentinel/Rogue. Pesonally, I prefer low-light vision or dark vision characters because lack of light/blindness is a B**** in our games.

I usually have a totem in my off-hand as an implement (but in our game, everybody who needs it gets versatile expertise for free).

----------

If totem doesn't work for you, go staff -->Also, if you want to dip into the Defender role as well, you could go Rogue/Summer Sentinel with the Bear companion. This defender role is a bit different, you isolate enemies with your "wall of fur" and prone them as often as you can (explained below).

If allowed, pick up the Theme called Fey Beast Tamer for a Displacer Beast and MC into Shaman to get the OA Companion Spirit (your first standard action each encounter).You then have 3 pets on the battlefield at all times (+ more if you use summons). You can use the "wall of fur" defense.

Get the feat Sneaky Staff for rogue attacks. The synergy is sick! because your staff does 1d12 damage (1d12+4 +2d6) 7-28 lvl 1 at-will damage. Then pick up Staff Expertise so you can (1) use Disheartening Strike from behind your bear/displacer beast/OA comp spirit and always have CA; (1a) if your Shilelegh is cast on your staff, each attack will prone the enemy = SUPER STICKY; and (2) you can also cast ranged spells while engaged in melee without provoking OAs.

If you want to build this up to defenderish, pick up the Hafted Defense feat, the Lvl 1 Druid Shillelegh Daily and take CA/Prone attacks, rattling attacks, and summons as you lvl up.

Try that out for size and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

I think I'll save the monk/sentinel for the next campaign, as I recently played a monk.

At first I wanted to go with Spring, because of the constant combat advantage for Sneak Attacks, and the synergy with the Pack Wolf. But I built both versions to compare them side by side, and the Summer druid just made more and more sense because of the weapon. With my pets and the other melee, I'll almost always be flanking, so Sneak Attack shouldn't be a problem, and the 1d12 reach 2 (3 in paragon) weapon doesn't hurt, either.

Here's what I came up with for the rogue/summer sentinel:

Show
Theren Wildsoul, level 1
Wood Elf, Druid (Sentinel)/Rogue
Season: Druid of Summer
Associate: Trained Fey Panther
Explorer/Guide (Explorer/Guide Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 9

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 14
HP: 25 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +7, Nature +13, Perception +11, Stealth +9, Thievery +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +0, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, Heal +4, History +0, Insight +4, Intimidate –1, Religion +0, Streetwise –1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Druid Attack 1: Magic Stones
Rogue Attack 1: Piercing Strike
Druid Attack 1: Call Forth the Spirit Pack
Druid Attack 1: Summon Giant Toad

FEATS
Level 1: Sneaky Staff

ITEMS
Staff Implement x1
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Thieves' Tools
Surveyor's gear
Sacks
Footpads
Flask (empty)
Oil (1 pint)
Ten-foot pole
Miner's helmet

I got Goblin as an extra language with my background (was gonna go with Auspicious Birth, but with the wall of fur I'm thinking I'll be okay), and Sense Threat from being a Wood Elf to help out the party (since we won't have a warlord) and to have a higher initiative to get my pets and what not into place.

Thanks for the help, everybody! 
I like it! The only change I would do would be to replace Piercing Strike with Disheartening Strike because it gets rattling and gives you CA as long as an ally is adjacent to the target (animal companions count as allies).

Other than that, it looks fun. I've not played it so let me know how it turns out. Good luck! 
What about Disheartening Strike gives you CA while an ally is adjacent to the target? Am I missing something? Or does Rattling do something else that the compendium doesn't say?
My bad...Disheartening Strike only has Rattling.

Clever Strike
is the one you want:
If an ally is adjacent to the target and can attack, you have combat advantage for this attack.
Heh, okay, that works :P Thought I was blind or something. That's actually perfect! Thank you.

They won't be able to use any of their At-Wills with their Skald Aura At-Will powers, as none of them are basic attacks.  Also, I dont' believe that any bard implement encounter powers count as basic attacks, so...that could be a problem...

VB

This is true, but oddly enough somthing I've been tossing around was a archery based Prescient Bard Hybridized with Seeker with Skald Training. Any wis/cha race works and blood bond has no kicker so all you need is the wisdom for seeker and just pick up all the RBA powers you can. Every enemy on the frontline you shoot become debuffed while your fellow backliners get a little love from a skald at-will and when the fight get dangerously close there are the sweet daily skald powers to "discourage" them.

VB

This is true, but oddly enough somthing I've been tossing around was a archery based Prescient Bard Hybridized with Seeker with Skald Training. Any wis/cha race works and blood bond has no kicker so all you need is the wisdom for seeker and just pick up all the RBA powers you can. Every enemy on the frontline you shoot become debuffed while your fellow backliners get a little love from a skald at-will and when the fight get dangerously close there are the sweet daily skald powers to "discourage" them.

Yeah, that could certainly be workable, but not at all in the OP's case...

Actually as soon as the Skald was in CB I was working on builds that spam MBA's or RBA's to take advantage of the Skald aura as much as possible while "primarily" doing damage or controling.  Its a fun concept, but from the sound of it, not what the OP's bard party-member is doing...

VB