Might need a new leader - any suggestions?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This season, I ended up running a gnome skald (I generally create one PC for each role, and play whichever one is needed most the first session). I'm not really enjoying him as much as I thought I would, and last night's near-TPK has got me thinking about switching or just having a back-up handy.

So, I just thought I'd solicit some ideas/suggestions for what type of leader to try next. (We have a relaxed group, so any class is fair game.)
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
This season, I ended up running a gnome skald (I generally create one PC for each role, and play whichever one is needed most the first session). I'm not really enjoying him as much as I thought I would, and last night's near-TPK has got me thinking about switching or just having a back-up handy.

So, I just thought I'd solicit some ideas/suggestions for what type of leader to try next. (We have a relaxed group, so any class is fair game.)

I’m a big fan of the Warlord class when it comes to leaders. I like that they can act themselves or direct others to act. The +2 to initiative is always a welcomed bonus. If you take the skirmisher build, allies who spend an action point can shift up to your Int/Wis mod for free before or after they take the extra action. I can’t count the number of times an extra move (and a shift at that) would have meant the difference between life and death at my table.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

I haven't played a warlord yet. Maybe I'll see what I can come up with.
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
For leaders, I'd suggest the Warpriest (sun domain). The Sun Warpriest is a capable melee-focused leader, with good defenses, decent attacks (for a leader), and a great affinity for dishing out healing, saves, and group buffs.

You get good defenses with Wis Primary for Will, Con secondary for Fort, chain +heavy shield for AC, and even a decent Ref.

Main attacks include:

At-will: 1[w] radiant, vs. AC, grant a save as an effect
At-will: 1[w], vs. AC, grant resist all (Con mod) as an effect

Encounter 1: 1[w], vs. AC, you and all allies within 5 gain 5 temp hp and can make a save
Words cannot express just how good an opener or turn 2/3 ability this is. The raw amount of hp it grants is nothing short of staggering at low levels, and a free, out of turn save for everyone in burst 5 can easily mitigate or negate a nasty 'save ends' attack.

Encounter 3: 2[w], vs AC, you or an ally within 5 can spend a surge

Utilities and Daily attack options are wide, wide open - just remember that you're Wisdom primary (and consider Versatile Expertise if you go for implement-based dailies or theme powers).

When you use Healing Word, you can grant yourself or an ally in the burst an additional amount of hp equal to your Con mod. This is free, real hp that doesn't have to (but may) target the recipient of the Heailing Word power, which can be incredibly powerful in some situations... I personally like using this to pick up downed allies who can otherwise help themselves once they're conscious again.

Theme options are wide open, though Order Adept, Ordained Priest, and Wizard's Apprentice all grant a great controllerish enounter attack power that is implement-based in either a close blast or ranged, which adds a nice option for the odd round where you can't quite make it into melee.

Sun domain warpriest is great, you can throw out alot of temps and damage resistance on top of healing and the healing has extra bonuses.  Another way to go would be a sentinel druid.  Build con primary and you can throw out good temp hp with at wills on a miss and be pretty darn tough in melee.  The animal companion has great effect too.  Go spring, get the wolf, everyone will enjoy combat advantage and the battle my go a little faster for hitting more.  Team a wolf with a good defender and a striker that exploits CA for huge damage and you have a winning combination.  

TjD

For leaders, I'd suggest the Warpriest (sun domain).

You're preaching to the choir. I played a sunpriest during March of the Phantom Brigade, and he has gone on to become one of my favorite LFR characters. He'll be hitting Paragon soon, where I plan on picking up the Radiant Servant PP.

I have considered making another Warpriest for this season of a different domain. So far I've played sun and earth, and I was thinking of giving storm a try, but haven't decided what race to make it. (The sunpriest is half-elf and the earthpriest is dwarf (naturally!))

Sign In to post comments