D&D Forums Re-organization

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
A couple of months ago, it was indicated that the D&D forums were going to be re-organized.

Well, there has been a lot of discussion, and this is pretty close to the final set-up of the forums.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Now the questions:

1 - Do you like it? If so, why. If not, why not?
2 - If you do not like it, how would you change it to improve it?
3 - LFR/RPGA folk!! - What do you think about this? The RPGA/LFR forums are dead. Shoiuld there simply be a link to the group? What are your intentions towards the forums?
I like it.

"Find or fill a table" should be more... "Find a game or players" I'm assuming it's not for just the Virtual Table, which "find or fill a table" suggests.

I'd also suggest putitng What's a player to do above the What's a DM to do forum. Generally, there are more players than DMs.

Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Hey! Why's all my stuff covered in dust? I've only been gone for like. . . y'know. . . 9 months or so. Don't we have a maid service or something?  Geez, the things I put up with. . . 

Oh.  Hi.  Forum reorganization you say?

Ooooh, lookee!  Organized Play stuff front and center!  Me likey!

RPGA and LFR forum. . . hmmm. Almost a forum we could drop anymore, since the LFR group is where the primary discussion takes place now, but if nothing else it's a good starting point for people who might not know that.

For my $.02 - I like it as it is.  It gets my vote.

I'll respectfully disagree with Webster, I think filling a table is a fairly universal-sounding terminology - certainly something we discuss a lot in organized play, and at conventions without the VT ever coming into things.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Looks good to me, with the suggestion that LFR go directly to the LFR group's forums rather than the old LFR forum. 

One thing of possible interest is that WotC has been sorta indicating (particularly with the Lore line of articles) an interest in supporting older edition concepts and such, so I wouldn't be surprised if we want a place to sorta discuss the best and brightest of all D&D rather than immediately splitting by edition - at the moment, there's 4e, and there's vintage, and no sorta "D&D the brand / meme / universal". Not really sure it's worth worrying about, but maybe the company has a line on that and it's worth asking. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
I passed the idea about broadening the forums to include a broader view than simply current/vintage up to Trevor.
If you want something fundamental to change in your area, just plan a boards reorg. #MurphysLaw

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I passed the idea about broadening the forums to include a broader view than simply current/vintage up to Trevor.

Now that 5E is announced, I'm sure they can answer more completely too
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
It seems odd that 'Community Business' isn't under 'D&D Community'. I can understand the reasoning--that this site is at some level a product--but I don't think most people will find it intuitive. Other than that...I don't really have much to say, not being a D&D guy at all.

Oh, except for some minor notes--there's some misspellings in some of the descriptions ('apocalose' in Gamma World and 'in search fo adventure' in Spelljammer) and a missed capitalization in the description of the What's a Player to Do board--the last sentence.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.