Confused about Regenerate....

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Basically I'm confused as to exactly how Regenerate functions...

For Example; suppose I control Cudgel Troll . I activate its ability and set it forward as an attacker, thus causing it to become tapped. Does the regeneration shield still work? Or because it requires the creature to be tapped and removed from combat, is it more useful as a defensive ability?

Similarly, if I block my opponent's Ogre Resister for example with a regeneration shield, become tapped and survive, could I tap a forest and save  Cudgel Troll if my opponent follows-up with a Lightning Bolt ?

A quick explanation of how to use Regenerate effectively, in addition to a response to the two previous questions, would be much appreciated!
You can activate the regeneration ability whenever you can pay the costs, which in this case is one green mana. It doesn't matter if the Troll is tapped or what else is happening.

All that happens when the ability resolves is that a shield is created, nothing else happens yet. That shield will just sit around and wait for the Troll to be destroyed (or the turn to end, whichever comes first). Only when it actually would be destroyed does it step in and replace the destruction with 'tap, remove all damage, remove from combat'.

And yes, you can regenerate a creature as often as you want. You can regenerate it again to also save it from the Lightning Bolt.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up!
"Regenerate" means two things:

1. Activating an ability or casting a spell that'll create that "regeneration shield"

2. The actual "act" of regeneration (i.e. replacing a destruction by removing all damage and removing from combat - if a creature - and tapping the permanent - those are consequences of the regeneration, not requirements, so the creature can already be tapped or not in combat)

Some cards only have the second one as they regenerate "automatically" such as Mossbridge Troll or Knight of the Holy Nimbus. That's something to keep in mind when using the term "regenerate" in Magic.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

When the Shield kicks in, it will tap the creature (if it is untapped), and remove it from combat (if it is in combat). What it eill always do is to save the creature from destruction.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
When the Shield kicks in, it will tap the creature (if it is untapped), and remove it from combat (if it is in combat). What it eill always do is to save the creature from destruction.

Unless something prevents the whole regeneration. :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Will regeneration not tap the creature if it is already tapped? I don't see any reason it shouldn't.

But I don't think it would trigger anything relevant (Gideon's Avenger) because it doesn't actually "become tapped" again.

I don't know, you guys are clever, is there a case where this would be relevant?
Cannot be relied upon^
You can't tap something that's already tapped, just like you can't kill something that's already dead.

"He's already pulled over.  He can't pull over any farther!"
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
You can't tap something that's already tapped, just like you can't kill something that's already dead.

So a tapped permanent is an illegal target for Frost Titan's second ability?
Cannot be relied upon^

No.
The target of the Titan's ability is a "pemanent" not "an untapped permanent" which is a different thing entirely.
Contrast Ana Battlemage or Traitor's Roar to see the difference.
ΦΦΦΦΦ

No, it's a legal target. Frost titan's ability says "target permanent", not "target untapped permanent".

When the ability eventually resolves, if the permanent is already tapped, that part of the ability will have no effect. But the targetting restriction doesn't care, and the rest of the effect (preventing it from untapping) also doesn't care.

Frost Titan's only targeting requirement is "target permanent." It makes no difference if the creature is already tapped. If it's already tapped, Titan will just cause it to not untap during it's controller's next untap step.

See Backlash for something that targets an untapped permanent (in this case, a creature).
Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010
Sign In to post comments