What is the highest multi-target DPR at level 8 using At Wills?

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
A few of us are considering doing the Lair Assault Talon of Umberlee. (No spoilers please) and I think we should have at least 1 character that can dish out lots of friendly damage using at Wills. We'll probably already have either a Wizard using Winged Horde or a Druid using Magic Stone so I want this character to be pure damage probably using Enlarge Spell. The build rules are level 8, 3 items Lvl +1, Lvl, and Lvl -1 plus gold equal to Lvl -1
Magic Stones can be set up to provide a Push 2 + Prone (Alfsair Spear, Polearm Momentum, Gauntlets of the Ram or Hamanu's Terrible Roar, but some Lair Assault DMs haven't allowed boons/alternate rewards since they're not strictly items), but since it's lacking a damage type, it will lose out to Hand of Radiance in terms of pure DPR.

Hand of Radiance could be set up for +2 (Silvery Glow, feat), +2 (Energized[Radiant] from a Defiant Rod), giving it +4 damage per target over Magic Stones, provided all other things were equal (enhancement bonuses, damage from relevant stat, etc.).  Add in Power of the Moon and Hand of Radiance would debuff Reflex by 2 on each target hit, if you've got other people in your party who could pile in on that.  Heck, Magic Stones targets Reflex too.  Invoker sets them up, Druid knocks them down.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Obviously any discussion involving best of anything, at any level requires someone mention the amazing Drood.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Genasi Blaster Wizard might not be a bad choice for the requirements you gave. You don't have to take Enlarge Spell, you can instead focus on multi-targeting attacks (taking the at-will burst is still a good idea in case of swarms, though I have no idea what's in it). There's a build guide on the front page that I just built a L8 with the same rules (with LFR restrictions, so no Mark of Storm). It's pretty fun to play.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... Was his build link. Mine wasn't much different except for the lack of MoS.
If someone's using Magic Stones, you could get some good damage out of zone powers from Wizard or Warlock. When the enemies get out, the druid can push them back in.
Half-Elf Invoker with any Ranger at-will, MC Ranger, Archery Mastery and Divine Bolts with Power of Skill. Standard action, fire Divine Bolts (now a RBA) on every target around a square. Which, being Divine Bolts, means 2 shots for every creature even in its more conservative reading (and it's a much, much worse offender if you don't restrict DB's second target inside the same burst). One feat for Expertise, one for Damage, and you're set.
Cheesy, but you can rain lightning on the field all day long.
Half-Elf Invoker with any Ranger at-will, MC Ranger, Archery Mastery and Divine Bolts with Power of Skill. Standard action, fire Divine Bolts (now a RBA) on every target around a square. Which, being Divine Bolts, means 2 shots for every creature even in its more conservative reading (and it's a much, much worse offender if you don't restrict DB's second target inside the same burst). One feat for Expertise, one for Damage, and you're set.
Cheesy, but you can rain lightning on the field all day long.

That won't really work until Paragon when you can make Divine Bolts at-will. If the RBA is an encounter, it's only going to on that first attack of the Rapid Shot, because it will be expended before you try to make the second.

There is also some argument about whether Divine Bolts gets to have the second target when used in this fashion, IIRC.

That won't really work until Paragon when you can make Divine Bolts at-will. If the RBA is an encounter, it's only going to on that first attack of the Rapid Shot, because it will be expended before you try to make the second.

There is also some argument about whether Divine Bolts gets to have the second target when used in this fashion, IIRC.

His proposed character is an Invoker primary, Ranger Dilettante power.  He is then giving up the Dilettante power through Archery Mastery to gain a hunter at-will (Rapid Shot).

There is, of course, still a large question mark here, that being whether or not a Dilettante power that you can only use once per encounter is still a Ranger at-will power.  However, that's still fixable by just going hybrid Ranger|Invoker.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
That Archery Master replacement is a bit iffy. The sort of thing that's not covered by the rules,but I say it's not an at-will if you use it as an encounter.

The same way a Bladesinger daily is not an encounter, even though it started that way. The same way Inevitable Shot is daily for hybrids even though it's orignally an ecnounter. Et cetera.

Other than that, yeah, that's pretty sweet, except for the question of whether Divine Bolts actually targets two creatures when used with Rapid Shot (which says to make a RBA against a specific set of targets).
That Archery Master replacement is a bit iffy. The sort of thing that's not covered by the rules,but I say it's not an at-will if you use it as an encounter.

The same way a Bladesinger daily is not an encounter, even though it started that way. The same way Inevitable Shot is daily for hybrids even though it's orignally an ecnounter. Et cetera.

Oh, I agree with you completely, I don't think a Dilettante power that can only be used once per encounter is an at-will power.

But a hybrid Ranger|Invoker certainly meets the prereqs for it, and you don't even have to be an elf!

Other than that, yeah, that's pretty sweet, except for the question of whether Divine Bolts actually targets two creatures when used with Rapid Shot (which says to make a RBA against a specific set of targets).

Yup, that's a much thornier question that I don't have a real answer to.  I think it would depend completely on DM.

The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
It is pretty clear cut...

Say you have 3 enemies and an ally in the area you're targeting with Rapid Shot. They can be in any of the 27 squares (it is a cube, the initial square you selected and each adjacent square).

You get one Ranged Basic Attack against each of these targets. That is 4 RBAs.

Divine Bolts, through Power of Skill, is one of your options for a ranged basic attack. A standard ranged basic attack is another option you have. You may have more options.

You use one of your options for 'Ranged Basic Attack' against enemy one. You decide this will be Divine Bolts. Divine Bolts targets one or two creatures, you decide which as you use it.

You repeat this for enemies two and three.

For your ally, who is hurting, you decide to use an unarmed ranged basic attack. This is something along the lines of throwing a rock at him. It is less accurate and less damaging. Had the ally been in a stronger position, you may have opted to use one of your other options for the ranged basic attack.

Thus at the player's option which RBA option to use for each RBA allowed, and within each RBA used, it is at the player's option to decide the specific powers' details (any that the player can normally choose, that is - such as whether Divine Bolts targets one or two creatures).

I understand many DMs ill limit this via houserules, and reasonably so. Some may not allow differing types of ranged basic attacks within Rapid Shot. that is not RAW, but it is a 'reasonable' houserule. Many will not allow Divine Bolts to have two targets each time it is used. Again, not RAW, but not unreasonable.

By RAW, any power defined as a Ranged Basic Attack can be used at any time a character is allowed an RBA. Further, eany power defined as a Ranged Basic Attack, unless specifically detailed as functioning different as such, is allowed all of its normal options when used.
It is pretty clear cut...

Say you have 3 enemies and an ally in the area you're targeting with Rapid Shot. They can be in any of the 27 squares (it is a cube, the initial square you selected and each adjacent square).

You get one Ranged Basic Attack against each of these targets. That is 4 RBAs.

Divine Bolts, through Power of Skill, is one of your options for a ranged basic attack. A standard ranged basic attack is another option you have. You may have more options.

You use one of your options for 'Ranged Basic Attack' against enemy one. You decide this will be Divine Bolts. Divine Bolts targets one or two creatures, you decide which as you use it.

You repeat this for enemies two and three.

For your ally, who is hurting, you decide to use an unarmed ranged basic attack. This is something along the lines of throwing a rock at him. It is less accurate and less damaging. Had the ally been in a stronger position, you may have opted to use one of your other options for the ranged basic attack.

Thus at the player's option which RBA option to use for each RBA allowed, and within each RBA used, it is at the player's option to decide the specific powers' details (any that the player can normally choose, that is - such as whether Divine Bolts targets one or two creatures).

I understand many DMs ill limit this via houserules, and reasonably so. Some may not allow differing types of ranged basic attacks within Rapid Shot. that is not RAW, but it is a 'reasonable' houserule. Many will not allow Divine Bolts to have two targets each time it is used. Again, not RAW, but not unreasonable.

By RAW, any power defined as a Ranged Basic Attack can be used at any time a character is allowed an RBA. Further, eany power defined as a Ranged Basic Attack, unless specifically detailed as functioning different as such, is allowed all of its normal options when used.

I don't entirely mind it having two targets, as long as they are within the set specified by Rapid Shot.

another issue with the rapid shot and divine bolts is that rapid shot imposes a -2 penalty to your to  hit.
thus making a caster more inacurate.

I'd sugest that you look at clever shot, this allows you to have the additional effects on divine bolts and gives them some extra control, with out the loss of your accuracy.

I currently have a similar set up,
Elf Invoker|ranger mc skald, this with the power "song of serenity" of the skalds aura
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Harlequinn, level 6
Elf, Invoker|Ranger
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Wrath
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Archery Mastery: Clever Shot Mastery
Elf Subrace: Wood Elf
Select option: Sense Threat
Select option: Wood Elf Reactive Stealth
Background: Geography - Forest (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Seeker of Illefarn

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 13.

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 41 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +14, Insight +14, Perception +20, Nature +16, Arcana +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +2, History +3, Intimidate +4, Religion +3, Stealth +6, Streetwise +4, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Archery Mastery
Level 4: Master of Stories
Level 6: Unexpected Flourish

POWERS
Master of Stories: Skald's Aura
Genasi Soul Armor +1: Promise of Storm
Hybrid at-will 1: Divine Bolts
Hybrid at-will 1: Predator Strike (retrained to Clever Shot (Archery Mastery) at Level 2)
Unexpected Flourish: Song of Serendipity
Hybrid encounter 1: Fox's Cunning
Hybrid daily 1: Brilliant Beacon
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Falling Leaves
Hybrid daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Hybrid utility 6: Shield of Light

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (heroic tier), Magic Staff +2, Cloak of Distortion +1, Genasi Soul Hide Armor +1, Restful Bedroll
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Harlequinn is a woodelf and with the background and theme has a perception of +20 at level 6

• Due to Sense Threat, that turns in to a +20 inititive bonus!

• Any team members slower than her gain +2 init

• on her turn she activates her Aura (minor) and Song of Serendipity (minor) and fires of a clever shot (standard)

• Cleaver shot is Divine Bolts, target one or two creatures +11 vs ref, doing 1d6 + 10 lightning damage, and either slides 2, knocks prone, or slows(save ends), giving one or two allies +2 power bonus to hit

• the Genasi Soul Hide Armor, can be used to add additional +1d8 damage to each of the bolts 1/day

however you might like to change to half elf to get some skald shinanigens differntly...

another issue with the rapid shot and divine bolts is that rapid shot imposes a -2 penalty to your to  hit.

That is why I prefer the rapid shot / magic missile combo... auto-hits ignore the -2 penalty, and magic missile can be buffed enough to make this a decent staple for a wizard|ranger hybrid.

That is why I prefer the rapid shot / magic missile combo... auto-hits ignore the -2 penalty, and magic missile can be buffed enough to make this a decent staple for a wizard|ranger hybrid.

but magic missile targets One creature and thus will auto hit your allies...

but magic missile targets One creature and thus will auto hit your allies...

Which is why you instead use an improvised weapon when attacking your allies in the burst.

Which is why you instead use an improvised weapon when attacking your allies in the burst.

why would that make any effect Magic Missile automatically effects the target so they still take the damage, or have I missed something?

why would that make any effect Magic Missile automatically effects the target so they still take the damage, or have I missed something?

You can use a different ranged basic attack against each target. So you use MM against the enemies and an improvised weapon ranged basic attack with a non-proficient weapon. Such as a rock or unarmed.

You can use a different ranged basic attack against each target. So you use MM against the enemies and an improvised weapon ranged basic attack with a non-proficient weapon. Such as a rock or unarmed.

Exactly. And since you're probably STR/INT as a Wizard|Ranger, that unarmed RBA not only has no proficiency/enhancement bonus to attack, it has a very low accuracy and equally low damage if you manage to hit/crit your ally.

Exactly. And since you're probably STR/INT as a Wizard|Ranger, that unarmed RBA not only has no proficiency/enhancement bonus to attack, it has a very low accuracy and equally low damage if you manage to hit/crit your ally.

Actually ... how do you determine the range of an improvised weapon?
improvised ranged weapons have a range of 5/10  (PHB 219)

good place to start anyway 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Actually ... how do you determine the range of an improvised weapon?

from the compendium;

Any ranged

Improvised one-handed ranged weapon
Cost: — gp
Damage: 1d4
Range: 5/10
Weight: 1 lb.

Improvised weapons include anything you happen to pick up, from a rock to a chair.

Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 219.

Blazing Starfall worked fine for me.
So if my goal is pure damage with an at will the consensus seems to be use Rapid Shot combined with a high damage RBA. Either Divine Bolts or Magic Missile. Our GM said no to using Dilettante for the Archery Mastery feat but yes to targeting someone within Rapid Shot's area with 1 Divine Bolt and someone outside the area with the other. (not sure where Hephalumph got 27 squares from, the area is 9 squares total)
So an Invoker/Ranger Hybrid with Archery Mastery, Power of Skill, an Expertise feat, and a 4th feat probably to add damage. The primary goal being to maximize Divine Bolt's accuracy and Damage while still having decent Encounter and Daily powers. By any chance is there already a guide for such a character?
Bursts/Blasts are cubes. 3x3x3=27.
But Rapid Shot says within a square or in an adjacent square. So 9 total for it.
But Rapid Shot says within a square or in an adjacent square. So 9 total for it.

Uh-huh. And if a square is one square up in the air, all the squares above it are adjacent, and all the squares are below it are adjacent, and all the squares next to it are adjacent. Which is a 3x3x3 cube. 27 squares.

XXX
XXX
XXX

That is the top down view of what you're thinking of. Now pretend you're looking at it from the side. See how all the squares above and below are also adjacent?

erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">But there are squares above and below that 'target square' if you aim it one square above the ground.
As for builds; use mine and then add the levels, change the clever shot for rapid shot.
You'll need a decent feat to bump your to hit, as it will suck, with divine bolts.

Show

Harlequinn, level 8
Elf, Invoker|Ranger
Archery Mastery: Rapid Shot Mastery

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 19, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Reflex: 20 Will: 20
HP: 49 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +13, Insight +15, Perception +23, Nature +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +3, Heal +9, History +4, Intimidate +3, Religion +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +7, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 8: Implement Focus (Staff)

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Predator Strike (retrained to Rapid Shot (Archery Mastery) at Level 2)
Hybrid encounter 7: Rain of Blood

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (heroic tier), Cloak of Distortion +1, Genasi Soul Hide Armor +1, Restful Bedroll, Rhythm Blade Widow's Knife +1, Warning Accurate staff +2

at 8th level she has

• Perception +23, with Sense Threat, this is acts as +23 Initative

• If she has cover or consealment when initative is rolled she can make Stealth roll (+13) to hide

• Her Divine bolts are +14 vs Ref, doing 1d6 +11 lightning damage

• Her rapid shot Divine bolts are at +12 vs Ref doing 1d6 +11 lightning damage

• She can add 2 rounds of +1d8 damage to lightning powers; if she uses her daily power from her armour

• She can also 1/day enter Spitting-Cobra Stance, for a RBA as immediate for any enemy closing in on a 5 sq area...

I've played here and she can be a real brute due to her RBA spam...

Try it and see...

Uh-huh. And if a square is one square up in the air, all the squares above it are adjacent, and all the squares are below it are adjacent, and all the squares next to it are adjacent. Which is a 3x3x3 cube. 27 squares.

XXX
XXX
XXX

That is the top down view of what you're thinking of. Now pretend you're looking at it from the side. See how all the squares above and below are also adjacent?

I see. My mistake. Not likely to come up except vs flying enemies but yes 27 squares it is.
@yargon Thx I'll give it a look.
Added a build to my post above....

XXX
XXX
XXX

I see. My mistake. Not likely to come up except vs flying enemies but yes 27 squares it is.

It could come up in a tactical manner any time there is a large or larger enemy - if you target a square 2 squares up, the bottom of the 27 square cube is 1 square up, off the ground; only hitting those creatures which are size large or larger in the area. great way to hit 2 or 3 large critters flanking an ally of yours, without targetting the ally (even an unarmed ranged basic could hit/crit for 4+Dex damage, which at lower levels can make a big difference)...

XXX
XXX
XXX

Don't forget Spiderclimb!
Divine Bolts also conveniently has the Lightning keyword.  Mark of Storm allows for lots of sliding. 

Slide more targets in to the Rapid Shot box-of-death!

In the build Yargon posted, I would swap Staff Focus for Mark of Storm.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
Divine Bolts also conveniently has the Lightning keyword.  Mark of Storm allows for lots of sliding. 

Slide more targets in to the Rapid Shot box-of-death!

In the build Yargon posted, I would swap Staff Focus for Mark of Storm.

If your allowed it, it's good, but I would caveat that you need to HIT, and the Rapid Shot Divine Bolt, is already -2 on its to hit, with a non-weapon power... your gonna miss alot!
Since it's specifically Lair Assault, anything is fair game.  Electric sliiiiiiide.

Bargle wrote:

Zelink wrote:

erdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">But there are squares above and below that 'target square' if you aim it one square above the ground.
As for builds; use mine and then add the levels, change the clever shot for rapid shot.
You'll need a decent feat to bump your to hit, as it will suck, with divine bolts.

Show

Harlequinn, level 8
Elf, Invoker|Ranger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +3, Heal +9, History +4, Intimidate +3, Religion +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +7, Athletics +4

FEATS

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Predator Strike (retrained to Rapid Shot (Archery Mastery) at Level 2)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (heroic tier), Cloak of Distortion +1, Genasi Soul Hide Armor +1, Restful Bedroll, Rhythm Blade Widow's Knife +1, Warning Accurate staff +2

at 8th level she has

• If she has cover or consealment when initative is rolled she can make Stealth roll (+13) to hide

• She can add 2 rounds of +1d8 damage to lightning powers; if she uses her daily power from her armour

• She can also 1/day enter Spitting-Cobra Stance, for a RBA as immediate for any enemy closing in on a 5 sq area...

Try it and see...

The builder is not showing the Power of Skill feat as a choice. I'm using the D&D Home Campaign, I have Corellon as my diety, Divine Bolts as a power, and am Invoker/Ranger Hybrid. So what am I missing? Also the builder does not have Accurate Staff of Warning as an option.

Show

Harlequinn, level 8
Elf, Invoker|Ranger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

at 8th level she has

Try it and see...

The builder is not showing the Power of Skill feat as a choice. I'm using the D&D Home Campaign, I have Corellon as my diety, Divine Bolts as a power, and am Invoker/Ranger Hybrid. So what am I missing? Also the builder does not have Accurate Staff of Warning as an option.

Make sure you are picking the Unaligned Corellon and not the Forgotten Realms Correllon.
That worked. Still can't figure out the staff.

dl.dropbox.com/u/6351180/harlequinn_onli...

that is a link to my online character builder version of the character, import that and your good to go

That worked. Still can't figure out the staff.

Is this the one that increases Perception? It's actually a weapon enchantment, Warning Weapon (I think).

Accurate Staff is a superior implement.

It should work RAW, but I'm not sure if CB messes it up by distinguising between staff as a weapon and staff as an implement.
The builder also does not seem to have a way to choose the Genasi Soul Hide Armor manifestation.

Also I just noticed something. Rapid Shot specifies with a weapon. Does an Accurate Staff used as an implement count?