Ranged Rogue

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

My girlfirend want to do a ranged rogue, but i doubt that, in heroic tier and without hiding (she's very noob and i don't want worry her with a "difficult mechanic") she can gain CA regularly.

Any options?

Thanks!
Probably the most reliable way for a ranged rogue to gain combat advantage is via the Distant Advantage feat from the PHB2. It allows you to gain combat advantage with ranged attacks against any enemy your allies are flanking. With a few cooperative party-mates, a rogue should almost always have CA against at least one enemy. 

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Hidden Sniper (getting concealment is usually pretty easy, doubly so if the Armor of Dark Deeds is available) and Vicious Advantage (or the Rogue version that adds a couple more conditions to the list) are also good.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ok, now i will work in a rogue (until paragon path) and will post it.

Thanks!
Probably not what your looking for but a Thief with Tactical Trick and a Short Bow has been pretty satisfying for me this season of encounters (and also has a shortsword for when the work has to absolutely positively be up close).
It's also worth noting that being Hidden is an excellent source of CA, and should be easy for a Rogue.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Deft Strike is a must have for a ranged rogue. It allows you to get behind cover for stealth, then use the movement part of the power to move out from cover with combat advantage and attack. You can then use your move action to get behind cover to regain stealth.

So, it would go like this: Move behind total cover/concealment, make a stealth check. You not have CA against the enemy. Use deft strike to move 2 squares before the attack with combat advantage. 
I wouldn't call using Stealth difficult.  The difficult part is sorting through the rules text to figure out how it all works.  Fortunately, there's an excellent guide where the rules are clearly explained.  She still might not want to deal with it, but I'd suggest at least pointing out the option.  Deft Strike + Stealth is easily the most consistent way to generate CA on most battlefields, especially if you go Cunning Sneak, and it requires no feat or equipment investment.

t~
Cunning sneak is probably a good call anyway, although so is acrobat.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
A Shade Rogue (Cunning Sneak) hiding behind his allies while attacking with a sling should be able to work.

A Pixie Rogue (Cunning Sneak) with a flying animal mount (from the Animal Master theme), the Teeny Target feat and a (Goblin Totem) sling is also fun, since it can fly as high as it wants on its mount, and is able to deliver massive amounts of damage while hidden.
Shades stink, and the ability to hide behind your allies rarely helps because your allies move.

Pixies can't ride Animal Master companions; they are both Tiny, and your mount has to b larger than you unless you have a specific exception.

Pixie Rogue|Beastmaster Ranger riding Falcon works, but if you're doing that, you may as well just play the Pixie Ranger.

Ranged Rogues are still better off using the Dagger than any other weapon, since most of their best powers don't target enemies that are too far away, and the increased accuracy means better chance of getting Sneak Attack, which is where your damage comes from.
Sign In to post comments