MultiClassing as an assassin

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just cant find out about this. I have a hexblade that i play, but i thought she could multi class once she is paragon path, but i found out you can multiclass right off the gate. Honestly the only skill i am really looking forward too is shadow step. If i muticlass her as an assassin what do i get and how would i get shadow step?

If it helps i have an Infernal Pact Hexblade and it would play toward her character to be as strong (and evil) as the infernal pact allows, but also she has the ability to teleport as well (in and out of battle...she currently has ethral stride atm)
You take the Assassin MC feat like you would any other class that allows you to MC. It only gives you 2 shrouds per encounter and training in stealth, IIRC. I don't think there is a way to get shadow step through multiclassing.
Acolyte of the Veil (D382) is an o-assassin MC allows you to use Shadow Step as an encounter power. There's no way to gain the o-assassin's Shadow Step at-will version in particular without actually being an o-assassin. 
I don't know about Shadow Step, but after multiclassing you can take the Cursed Shadow feat to gain Warlock's Shadow Walk feature.  Also, Warlocks get an at-will utility teleport called Ethereal Sidestep at level 10, which can be boosted to become extremely useful.
I don't know about Shadow Step, but after multiclassing you can take the Cursed Shadow feat to gain Warlock's Shadow Walk feature.  Also, Warlocks get an at-will utility teleport called Ethereal Sidestep at level 10, which can be boosted to become extremely useful.

Um...all i see under Warlock lvl 10 utility is "Warlock Leap" which is a daily.

Also damn...so what skills can i get through multiclassing that will let me teleport more often? if any at all?

Um...all i see under Warlock lvl 10 utility is "Warlock Leap" which is a daily.

Also damn...so what skills can i get through multiclassing that will let me teleport more often? if any at all?

Ethereal Sidestep is an At-will teleport 1 as a move action, level 10. 
Ethereal Sidestep is pretty much as good as it gets for most levels, and it can be improved with things like Incisive Daggers, Eladrin Chainmail Armor, and Eladrin Rings of Passage.  It's actually better than Shadow Step because you don't have to end the teleport adjacent to an enemy, so you can use it to get out of sticky situations and the like.

Wait wait...we arent talking players hand book here are we?

Wait wait...we arent talking players hand book here are we?

Ethereal Sidestep is from PH Heroes: Series 1.
so what skills can i get through multiclassing that will let me teleport more often? if any at all?

None.

Terminology adjustment: you're talking about taking a feat (specifically a multiclass feat) to get a power which will allow you to teleport. Skills are something else entirely.

There are some utility powers called "skill powers" which depend on you being trained in a certain skill, rather than being of a certain class. However, apparently none of those powers are about teleporting. So there are no skills that help you teleport.

(That said, for many characters Stealth is a good companion skill to go with teleporting. It doesn't make you teleport further or more often, it just makes it easier to Hide afterward. Acrobatics is a more situational companion skill, useful if you need to go down a 10-square cliff with a 5-square teleport...)

Offhand, I know that Swordmages, Assassins (at least the original ones, don't know about the Executioner), and some Warlocks teleport a lot.

Eladrin (race) get an encounter-power teleport regardless of class, and in Paragon tier that plus an Eladrin/Fighter feat (to make it sort-of-at-will) is the basis for an entire family of builds known collectively as "Feycharger" - warning, many older builds in that family were overpowered and were ruined by one of the most elegant updates WotC has done to date; most of the ruined builds included the Swordmage class, and now there's no real advantage to including that class.

Plus there are two build families called "Bard Taxi" and "Eladrin Taxi" for their ability to teleport the entire party.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I think at level 10 he might need to click "show me all options" in the character builder.
well the reason i dont know much about multiclassing is because i have never really tried it yet. Also the reason i didnt know about ethreal sidestep is because the people i play with and i only really play with players handbook 1 and 2. I only use HOTFK because i wanted to make an evil character (different than what my friends have seen) that would be the second in command to the boss of "The Fall of ShadowFell" quest (i play as DM). She would show up everyonce in a while and they would have to defend themselves for a certain amount of time against her. She is lvl 5 and i gave her boss-like health (like 300 HP) that way she will be super hard to actually take down (since she is by herself most often). The point of her is to hit often and hit hard as well as confuse by teleporting.

Anyway back to teleporting. The generator i use is good, but i dont see ethreal sidestep anywhere. Also it doesnt let me multiclass a hexblade with an assassin/executioner. The most i see is Shadow Step, and i dont know what that does honestly. Any recomendations to a more updated one? This is what i am using atm:

www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm
anyone?

Hello there...

Why don't you try AD&D ?

Hiryyu.

Hello there...

Why don't you try AD&D ?

Hiryyu.

I dont know what that is...insert a link?
If this character is an NPc controlled only by the DM (you), just give it the shadowstep power - the players wont be any the wiser, and the character is effectively a monster, so doesn't need to be built following the same rules as a player character. It doesn't need to be built following any rules at all save trying to ensure its balanced.

However as an aside you probably don't want to put a player template on a monster. It doesn't really fit well - for starters, for monsters encounter powers are dailies (since you only see them 1 encounter/day) and most player dailies are stronger than monster encounters.

Hello there...

Why don't you try AD&D ?

Hiryyu.

I dont know what that is...insert a link?

AD&D (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons) is what is known as 1st and 2nd edition D&D.  It was called advanced to differentiate it from what later was called Basic D&D.  It tended to have more detailed rules (at least at first) and was very similar to basic D&D (similar enough that often you could use an adventure for one for the other).  Not sure why it is pertinent here though. 
If this character is an NPc controlled only by the DM (you), just give it the shadowstep power - the players wont be any the wiser, and the character is effectively a monster, so doesn't need to be built following the same rules as a player character. It doesn't need to be built following any rules at all save trying to ensure its balanced.

However as an aside you probably don't want to put a player template on a monster. It doesn't really fit well - for starters, for monsters encounter powers are dailies (since you only see them 1 encounter/day) and most player dailies are stronger than monster encounters.

Well i might just give her shadowstep just so she has it. Currently the Players are entering Shadowfell Keep. The boss karel (or w/e his name is) is doing his think, but i also added in my character Aria Orgost to be his minion that he uses to stop them (though usually when i have her come in its for a turn or two then she goes away) just enough to scare them a little. Currently there are about 5-6players ranging from lvl 1 to lvl 4. So i made Aria a lvl 5 tiefling hexblade because its something they have never seen before. The only think i tweeked on her is her HP so far at lvl 5 she is suppose to have 51 total HP, but they would be able to own that. So i gave her 300 HP to be a boss.

My plan for her is this. While in the castle one of the players, another warlock, will have run ins with her. She will tell him at points that she is under a spell by the boss. She is attracted to him because he is another warlock like her and can understand her situation better (showns when he talked with his pact spirit and she showed up in his mind). When the players beat the boss they will free her from the curse and she will be back to normal. Im thinking that once they free her she will give the warlock a scroll to use that when they are in trouble he can use daily to summon her into the fight and help them out.

Here is what she looks like during the curse and after the curse:

Before
IMAGE(http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n547/zimbobwa1/femalehexblade.jpg)

After
IMAGE(http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n547/zimbobwa1/afterhexblade.jpg)

what do you guys think?
what do you guys think?

I think in the second picture she's holding the sword rather strangely.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
what do you guys think?

I think in the second picture she's holding the sword rather strangely.

she is holding it with a reverse grip. Mostly for style reasons. I was talking more about her story more or less though.
what do you guys think?

I like the sword and costume designs, but that second picture does look quite ambiguous.
Well she is a tiefling. She is part demon. She isnt the prettiest person, but it is a girl trust me. I could probly take out somethings to make it look better, but im not the best artist. The figure is there, but i guess i could work on the face a bit (which im not that good at)
post the picture to this thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Use sblocks, though.

Anyway, ask them to make it female.

If you don't know sblock, follow this:

[ sblock ] picture here [ /sblock ]

Remove the spaces, and you have the code to do this
Which the guys on that thread will appreciate.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

Hello there,

The second picture is actually a Knight Squire... due to the haircut (my opinion, at least).

The earrings actually match that of a woman. Moon Earrings. Probably Pagan.

Definitely going for a Paladin (picture 2, I mean).

I have to tell you that the first picture is the class you are looking for.

I wonder if these people exist for real.

I suggest Dark Sun... Anyway, do you have to propose something else to read for this Class?

Best Wishes,

Hiryyu.

Ethereal Sidestep is pretty much as good as it gets for most levels, and it can be improved with things like Incisive Daggers, Eladrin Chainmail Armor, and Eladrin Rings of Passage.  It's actually better than Shadow Step because you don't have to end the teleport adjacent to an enemy, so you can use it to get out of sticky situations and the like.

Shadow Step states only that you have to end your movement adjacent to a creature (that may be one of your allies) and gives you a pretty good range from scratch so you don't have to invest in related gear. Anyway there's no way I know to get it at-will unless you are a full or at least hybrid assassin.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

There are other Techniques too, you know...

Why so obsessed with Shadow Step...?

Why don't you try a compendium?

Or a Player's Handbook (D&D, AD&D or D&D 3 and above) ?

Ninja takes Spy on 3 moves (better yet Spy loses by Ninja on 5 moves)

Hiryyu.

Ninja takes Paladin (?) on 4-2 moves.

Try Weapon Proficiency (Fist Weapon) instead of Shadow Step.

Paragon path that you forementioned still has Weapon Proficiency, if I remember correct (AD&D).

I have to tell you something guys, best way to test your new player is with an Arena Scenario.

Hiryyu.