Deathtouch vs. Indestructable

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
Happy New Year everyone. I have a question about deathtouch and indestructable. If my Typhoid Rats which has deathtouch attacks an opponents Manor Gargoyle which has indestructable, does Typhoid Rats kill Manor Gargoyle?

Thank you in advance.
Happy New Year everyone. I have a question about deathtouch and indestructable. If my Typhoid Rats which has deathtouch attacks an opponents Manor Gargoyle which has indestructable, does Typhoid Rats kill Manor Gargoyle?

Nope.
700.4. If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it. (See rule 701.6, "Destroy.") Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based action (see rule 704.5g). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put into a graveyard, or exiled.

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

101.2. When a rule or effect allows or directs something to happen, and another effect states that it can't happen, the "can't" effect takes precedence.

 
No. Deathtouch says "destroy" but indestructible literally means "can't be destroyed". And in magic when can and can't collide, can't wins.

So the creature can't be destroyed.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Thank you very much.
Actually, if you equipped a Typhoid Rats with a Mask of Avacyn it could. Since Hexproof protects Typhoid Rats from Indestructable, Neutralizing it until after the attack. Thus killing the creature contradicting the fact it's indestructable.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Since Hexproof protects Typhoid Rats from Indestructable

The ability "Manor Gargoyle is indestructible as long as it has defender." does not target, which you can tell because it doesn't use the word "target". Hexproof will not interactact with manor gargoyle's ability.
Since Hexproof protects Typhoid Rats from Indestructable

The ability "Manor Gargoyle is indestructible as long as it has defender." does not target, which you can tell because it doesn't use the word "target". Hexproof will not interactact with m anor gargoyle's ability.



I checked this with a veteran member. If A creature with deathtouch AND hexproof fights a creature with Indestructable, the Indestructable creature would still die.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

Only players and planeswalkers can be attacked.


And here's the rule in case somebody tries to claim otherwise:
506.3. Only a creature can attack or block. Only a player or a planeswalker can be attacked.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

I checked this with a veteran member.

That veteran member is wrong.
114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn't make that object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the word "target" in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it's not a target.

Prey Upon


Fighting is not attacking.
[<o>]

Only players and planeswalkers can be attacked.


And here's the rule in case somebody tries to claim otherwise:
506.3. Only a creature can attack or block. Only a player or a planeswalker can be attacked.




Prey Upon
Predatory Urge 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

I checked this with a dictionary and the rules.

indestructible, adj., impossible to destroy
700.4. If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it. (See rule 701.6, "Destroy.") Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based action (see rule 704.5g). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put into a graveyard, or exiled.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Actually, if you equipped a Typhoid Rats with a Mask of Avacyn it could. Since Hexproof protects Typhoid Rats from Indestructable, Neutralizing it until after the attack. Thus killing the creature contradicting the fact it's indestructable.


Hexproof wouldn't protect the rat, because Indestructable doesn't do anything to the rat.  It prevents the Gargoyle from being destroyed and that's all.  It does nothing to the other creature(s) in combat with the Gargoyle.  Hexproof also wouldn't do anything to stop Deathtouch from killing a creature, because that doesn't target anything.
Actually, if you equipped a Typhoid Rats with a Mask of Avacyn it could. Since Hexproof protects Typhoid Rats from Indestructable, Neutralizing it until after the attack. Thus killing the creature contradicting the fact it's indestructable.


Hexproof wouldn't protect the rat, because Indestructable doesn't do anything to the rat.  It prevents the Gargoyle from being destroyed and that's all.  It does nothing to the other creature(s) in combat with the Gargoyle.  Hexproof also wouldn't do anything to stop Deathtouch from killing a creature, because that doesn't target anything.



Then the only thing I can say now is if WotC made a mechanic that said "Protection from Abilities"

>_< 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Then the only thing I can say now is if WotC made a mechanic that said "Protection from Abilities"

Then it would mean 'can't be the target of abilities' and 'prevent all damage that would be dealt by abilities'. Which still would mean nothing about another creature being indestructible.

[<o>]
In short, absolutely nothing you do to Typhoid Rats will make it kill the Gargoyle.  You can reduce the Gargoyle's toughness to 0 through -X/-X effects, you can Exile it, or you can somehow make it lose Indestructable.  Otherwise, it's going to live through anything.
Ability has two usages in Magic.

1) the text in the rulesbox that come in 4 types (static, activated, triggered, and spell)
2) an object on the stack created by the activation/triggering of an activated/triggered ability

Shroud and Hexproof refer to the second usage, not the first.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320


My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out


Just because you've played for a long time doesn't mean you know the rules. Actually the rules have changed drastically from Alpha. So a player who started in Alpha has no better grasp of modern rules than one who started in sixth edition. Actually they are probably worse since alot of people keep incorrect ideas of how the game works.

Indestructible was created in Mirrodin. Hexproof just this year. Neither of them require deep understanding rules from Alpha.
… and then, the squirrels came.
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling, baiting and flaming are violations of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...

************

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, on-topic, and refrain from personal attacks and flaming, these are violations of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg... . You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

************

Please return discussion to the topic of the thread, or it may need to be closed.

************

Thank you.
My bad. I will try to behave.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

 

Now you know why taxes always go up.

 

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

In short, absolutely nothing you do to Typhoid Rats will make it kill the Gargoyle. 


Actually,... if you gave it +4/+x and Infect or Wither, then the Gargoyle would die. ;)

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
In short, absolutely nothing you do to Typhoid Rats will make it kill the Gargoyle. 


Actually,... if you gave it +3/+x and Infect or Wither, then the Gargoyle would die. ;)

~ Tim



Rules Nut Advisor
Things like Turn to Frog are also great against Indestrucable.  Just turn abilities off!
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin


Thanks - I got confused and thought the Gargoyle was a 5/5, not a 4/4.

Things like Turn to Frog are also great against Indestrucable.  Just turn abilities off!


Be careful here though - Turn to Frog wont always work.

If it says "(this permanent) is indestructible" then Turn to Frog will let you destroy it. However, if it's something like Spearbreaker Behemoth's activated ability or Eldrazi Monument's static ability, then those will still function.

For example, if you cast Turn to Frog on my Spearbreaker, and in response I target it with it's own ability, then until the end of the turn it will still be Indestructible.

This is because being indestructible isnt an ability in itself (like having Flying is), its just a statement of something that is true about that permanent.

Hope that makes sense (its not the easiest thing to explain... I hope I didnt botch it)

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)


Thanks - I got confused and thought the Gargoyle was a 5/5, not a 4/4.

Things like Turn to Frog are also great against Indestrucable.  Just turn abilities off!


Be careful here though - Turn to Frog wont always work.

If it says "(this permanent) is indestructible" then Turn to Frog will let you destroy it. However, if it's something like Spearbreaker Behemoth's activated ability or Eldrazi Monument's static ability, then those will still function.

For example, if you cast Turn to Frog on my Spearbreaker, and in response I target it with it's own ability, then until the end of the turn it will still be Indestructible.

This is because being indestructible isnt an ability in itself (like having Flying is), its just a statement of something that is true about that permanent.

Hope that makes sense (its not the easiest thing to explain... I hope I didnt botch it)

~ Tim



Well now you confused me!    I highlighted the part of what you said I didn't get... If that is true, then why would Turn to Frog work at all, as the card's wording is "creature loses all abilities."

"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."
Well now you confused me!    I highlighted the part of what you said I didn't get... If that is true, then why would Turn to Frog work at all, as the card's wording is "creature loses all abilities."



Because the creature loses the ability "Blank is indestructible".

What he's saying is that Indestructible is not a stand alone keyword like flying. Flying means something. Flying replaces "can't be blocked except by creatrues with flying or reach." Indestructible is actually used as an actual word. Indestructible means indestructible, i.e. can't be destroyed.
… and then, the squirrels came.


Thanks - I got confused and thought the Gargoyle was a 5/5, not a 4/4.

Things like Turn to Frog are also great against Indestrucable.  Just turn abilities off!


Be careful here though - Turn to Frog wont always work.

If it says "(this permanent) is indestructible" then Turn to Frog will let you destroy it. However, if it's something like Spearbreaker Behemoth's activated ability or Eldrazi Monument's static ability, then those will still function.

For example, if you cast Turn to Frog on my Spearbreaker, and in response I target it with it's own ability, then until the end of the turn it will still be Indestructible.

This is because being indestructible isnt an ability in itself (like having Flying is), its just a statement of something that is true about that permanent.

Hope that makes sense (its not the easiest thing to explain... I hope I didnt botch it)

~ Tim




This is a botch sorry to say.  With your example of your spearbreaker, you cast Turn to Frog on your Spearbreaker, your response to target itself with its own ability would not do a thing.  Once you throw the ability of Spearbreaker onto itself to try to stop/cancel out the Turn to Frog, it would go onto the stack where the ability of the Spearbreaker would resolve first making it indestructable even though it already is.  Then the Turn to Frog would resolve removing all abilities and making it a 1/1 blue frog.  The only way around this is if you were Casting Turn to Frog in the Gargoyle, and then you use the ability of the Spearbreaker to make it indestructable after it has been made into the 1/1 blue frog.


Thanks - I got confused and thought the Gargoyle was a 5/5, not a 4/4.

Things like Turn to Frog are also great against Indestrucable.  Just turn abilities off!


Be careful here though - Turn to Frog wont always work.

If it says "(this permanent) is indestructible" then Turn to Frog will let you destroy it. However, if it's something like Spearbreaker Behemoth's activated ability or Eldrazi Monument's static ability, then those will still function.

For example, if you cast Turn to Frog on my Spearbreaker, and in response I target it with it's own ability, then until the end of the turn it will still be Indestructible.

This is because being indestructible isnt an ability in itself (like having Flying is), its just a statement of something that is true about that permanent.

Hope that makes sense (its not the easiest thing to explain... I hope I didnt botch it)

~ Tim




This is a botch sorry to say.  With your example of your spearbreaker, you cast Turn to Frog on your Spearbreaker, your response to target itself with its own ability would not do a thing.  Once you throw the ability of Spearbreaker onto itself to try to stop/cancel out the Turn to Frog, it would go onto the stack where the ability of the Spearbreaker would resolve first making it indestructable even though it already is.  Then the Turn to Frog would resolve removing all abilities and making it a 1/1 blue frog.  The only around this is if you were Casting Turn to Frog in the Gargoyle, and then you use the ability of the Spearbreaker to make it indestructable after it has been made into the 1/1 blue frog.



No, that's not correct. Spearbreaker Behemoth's ability does not confer any abilities to the targeted creature, so Turn to Frog does nothing to counteract it in any way whatsoever. In the aforementioned situation, the order of events would be:

1. Turn to Frog is cast, targeting Spearbreaker Behemoth
2. The behemoth's ability is activated in response, targeting itself
3. The behemoth's ability resolves, creating an effect that says it's indestructible until end of turn.
4. Turn to Frog resolves, turning it into a 1/1 blue frog with no abilities. The effect saying it's indestructible is still there, so it's still indestructible.
@Scy: Um, no... you'd just wait until the Frog resolved and THEN use Spearbreaker's ability on itself.

[facepalms self]

"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."
@Scy: Um, no... you'd just wait until the Frog resolved and THEN use Spearbreaker's ability on itself.



? Once turn to frog ressolves, the Behemoth won't have the ability to activate.

The last time you can activate the behomth's ability is before Turn to frog ressolves.
… and then, the squirrels came.
This is a botch sorry to say. 


Heh I was half expecting that (I havent been well, Im tired, and I have stuff on my mind).

With your example of your spearbreaker, you cast Turn to Frog on your Spearbreaker, your response to target itself with its own ability would not do a thing. 


Yes it would.

Once you throw the ability of Spearbreaker onto itself to try to stop/cancel out the Turn to Frog, it would go onto the stack where the ability of the Spearbreaker would resolve first making it indestructable even though it already is.  Then the Turn to Frog would resolve removing all abilities and making it a 1/1 blue frog.


Sorry, but you are wrong here.

Turn to Frog doesnt stop the Spearbreaker from being indestructible, and doesnt retroactively undo what it's activated ability did when it resolved. All Turn to Frog does it make the Spearbreaker lose it's two abilities (and become a 1/1 blue frog). Since it is no longer relying on either of it's abilities to be indestructible, losing those abilities wont stop it being indestructible.

Now, if it was something like Creepy Doll, then you are right, since the only thing making the Doll indestrucible is the ability that says "Creepy Doll is indestructible", and Turn to Frog will remove that ability.

If you still disagree, re-read the thread.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
@Scy: Um, no... you'd just wait until the Frog resolved and THEN use Spearbreaker's ability on itself.


That wouldn't work.
Once turn to frog resolves the behemoth will lose the activatied ability so it would not be able to activate it after.  Mr. Quizzles is correct.
MTG Rules Advisor
Indestructable is an ability and is remove by Turn to Frog.  As for waiting for the frog to resolve and then use the spearbreaker's ability will not work.  Once the Turn to Frog as resolved, the Spearbreaker no longer has an ability to use.
Indestructable is an ability



No, it's not. Read the thread.
If you use Turn to Frog in response to the Behemoth's ability, then the ability would be countered, but only because the Frog doesnt have Power 5 anymore (if you gave it +4/+x before the Behemoth's ability tried to resolve then it would still work - even though the Behemoth doesnt have the ability anymore).

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
@Scy: Um, no... you'd just wait until the Frog resolved and THEN use Spearbreaker's ability on itself.


That wouldn't work.
Once turn to frog resolves the behemoth will lose the activatied ability so it would not be able to activate it after.  Mr. Quizzles is correct.


Yes, yes he is, and my answer was so wrong.  I may delete it.  But back to the part I wasn't getting...
No, that's not correct. Spearbreaker Behemoth 's ability does not confer any abilities to the targeted creature, so Turn to Frog does nothing to counteract it in any way whatsoever.


...that makes sense to me now.  Thanks.

"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."

Indestructable is an ability and is remove by Turn to Frog.  As for waiting for the frog to resolve and then use the spearbreaker's ability will not work.  Once the Turn to Frog as resolved, the Spearbreaker no longer has an ability to use.



700.4a. Although the text "[This permanent] is indestructible" is an ability, actually being indestructible is neither an ability nor a characteristic. It's just something that's true about a permanent.

[<o>]
Indestructable is an ability and is remove by Turn to Frog.

no, it's not.
"Darksteel Colossus is indestructible" is an ability that makes Darksteel Colossus indestructible and it is true that removing that abilty will have the consequence of making the creature not be indestructible.

However, if Spearbreaker Behemoth uses its activated ability to make itself indestructible, it will be indestructible for two reasons:
1) it's static ability that says "Spearbreaker Behemoth is indestructible"
2) the resolved activated ability making it indestructible until end of turn

Removing its abilities will stop Cause #1 but it won't do a thing to Cause #2 so it will still be indestructible.
In fact, Cause #2 no longer exists prior to Turn to Frog resolving but that's irrelevant because the continuous effect has already been created. If Spearbreaker Behemoth's activated ability granted the following ability "This creature is indestructible" to the targeted creature, then Turn to Frog could remove that ability and make it be destructible, but Spearbreaker Behemoth's ability is NOT worded that way and there is no possible way to make it not be indestructible before this turn's cleanup step.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320


My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Indestructable is an ability and is remove by Turn to Frog.

no, it's not.
"Darksteel Colossus is indestructible" is an ability that makes Darksteel Colossus indestructible and it is true that removing that abilty will have the consequence of making the creature not be indestructible.

However, if Spearbreaker Behemoth uses its activated ability to make itself indestructible, it will be indestructible for two reasons:
1) it's static ability that says "Spearbreaker Behemoth is indestructible"
2) the resolved activated ability making it indestructible until end of turn

Removing its abilities will stop Cause #1 but it won't do a thing to Cause #2 so it will still be indestructible.
In fact, Cause #2 no longer exists prior to Turn to Frog resolving but that's irrelevant because the continuous effect has already been created. If Spearbreaker Behemoth's activated ability granted the following ability "This creature is indestructible" to the targeted creature, then Turn to Frog could remove that ability and make it be destructible, but Spearbreaker Behemoth's ability is NOT worded that way and there is no possible way to make it not be indestructible before this turn's cleanup step.



Ok I think this needs to be described better. So to make sure I am getting this right, if a creature has "Indestructible" it is not an ability but if it has "Spearbreaker Behemoth is indestructible" or similiar, then it is an ability?

And to confirm, when you say that the activated ability to make it indestuctible is not giving it the ability, but instead it is not an ability but an effect?
So to make sure I am getting this right, if a creature has IS "Indestructible" it is not an ability but if it has "Spearbreaker Behemoth is indestructible" or similiar, then it is an ability?


Indestructible is something a permanent can BE, not something it can HAVE. Apart from that, you seem to get it now.

Remember that "indestructible" isnt a special Magic word - it uses the normal English meaning of "cannot be destroyed". If a creature is indestructible, then it cannot be destroyed, and if it isnt, then it can.

Its what makes that permanent indestructible that matters, when it comes to things like Turn to Frog.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
if a creature has "Indestructible" it is not an ability

Correct-ish.

No creatures "have" indestructible, but they might "be" indestructible. "Being indestructible" is not an ability, any more than "being red" or "being face-down" or "being unblockable" are abilities. They are just descriptions of the way things are.
but if it has "Spearbreaker Behemoth is indestructible" or similiar, then it is an ability?

Correct. Any non-italicized text on a card is an ability.