U/W Control post worlds 2011

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

I am looking to get a discussion started about U/W Control in standard and hopefully get it migrated to the tier 2 decklist for more consistent discussion. I have been running U/W since I started back in Magic, after a decade lay-off, in Zendikar block. The rotation of man-lands and tec-edge has been painfully but Andrew Cuneo went undefeated day one against the field on day one of worlds. This leads me to believe that U/W control is at least a viable deck or worthy of some discussion. Granted, I am not Andrew or have anywhere near his experience with Draw-Go but I am an above average player and competent. Well, long story short I got ROFL stomped at this last FNM by 2 delver decks and a Red Deck. I was in good position to win that match but an unfortunate string of bad draws and a mulligan to 5 sealed my 0-3 drop night. I ran Cuneo's list exactly which was as follows:

Andrew Cuneo

2011 Worlds, Standard Constructed

Main Deck

60 cards

2  Buried Ruin
3  Ghost Quarter
4  Glacial Fortress
8  Island
6  Plains
4  Seachrome Coast
27 lands

2  Snapcaster Mage
2 creatures
2  Blue Sun's Zenith
4  Day of Judgment
3  Dissipate
1  Elspeth Tirel
2  Gideon Jura
2  Karn Liberated
4  Mana Leak
2  Negate
4  Ponder
3  Ratchet Bomb
4  Think Twice
31 other spells

Sideboard
3  Celestial Purge
1  Dismember
1  Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1  Elixir of Immortality
1  Flashfreeze
1  Negate
1  Phantasmal Image
1  Ratchet Bomb
3  Timely Reinforcements
1  White Sun's Zenith
1  Witchbane Orb
15 sideboard cards

I hated the sideboard and the one-of s that could have helped me throughout the night I never saw. With as much dig as I had I found that to be terribly disheartening. I only can recall two misplays that I had over the 5 rounds I played, maybe they were big maybe not. Anyway, I would be most grateful for some deck-tech ideas and sideboard guidance. After my crushing defeat I watched some of the better decks and this meta has a couple Wolf-Run(worlds) builds, at least 2 U/W humans (Geist) builds, U/W delver (obviously), a Birthing Pod (Bant I think), a solar flare, U/B control with graveyard shenanigans, and G/W humans (I believe he won the FNM). Their is so much variance that I cant wrap my head around the field and my losses have me hating a specific deck, here is looking at you delver! I am not in the right frame of mind and need quality advice for a practical sideboard that can help me in multiple scenarios. I look forward to any suggestions and hope that a moderator can see it fit to move this to the tier 2 board at least so more attention and discussions can be fielded.
i believe this list is bad, if only for the simple fact that it doesn't have oblivion ring.

i've seen this list floating around on MODO for a while and i know it is good, or at least a solid deck.  it can win, its a classic list with a long history of doing well at high levels.  but most successful lists are going to be running oblivion ring because its probably the best white card right now.

the way i see it, a list like this should hardly ever lose to aggro decks because these decks are designed to beat creatures.  other control decks (like UB, for example) could be more difficult.  obviously, a card in the board like elixir is to battle nephalia drownyard along with the buried ruins (very good tech).  i see this deck struggling against ramp.

furthermore, the deck should be playing white sun's zenith, at least 2 (probably both maindecked). 

delver problems?  this deck should probably run some gut shots or dismembers (i prefer the later).

also, i think this deck needs more early game raw drawing power.  i think that divination may, in fact, be a stronger choice than a ponder.

just some thoughts i have concerning these UW control decks.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

In U/W control, I think it needs a few more creatures. Those creatures are totally up to you though. [c]Fiend Hunter[c/] is a good choice. [c]midnight haunting[c/] is good with snapcasters. [c]gideon jura[c/] is a solid choice as well.

In my opinion though the U/W Blade deck in tier 1 is probably what you want to look at.
In U/W control, I think it needs a few more creatures. Those creatures are totally up to you though. [c]Fiend Hunter[c/] is a good choice. [c]midnight haunting[c/] is good with snapcasters. [c]gideon jura[c/] is a solid choice as well. In my opinion though the U/W Blade deck in tier 1 is probably what you want to look at.

you reallly don't need more creatures.  you just stall the game and prevent your opponent from doing anything and then eventually start chipping away at them with whatever you have.  the win conditions present are sufficient.  cards like midnight haunting are very lackluster here.  fiend hunter has absolutely zero business being played in this deck, and he already has gideon.

i know from experience that elspeth is actually good at winning games and white sun's zenith is pretty game ending.  sometimes you get to a point where your opponent simply concedes becuase of the game state.

furthermore, the UW blade decks have become really quite irrelvant.  hardly anyone plays them.  the above list is a much better deck.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I struggle to really think of a U/W Control deck without O-rings and Consecrated Sphinx as anything that can be viable.  I mean, are 2 Karns really necessary?  I figure going with another Elspeth would be a better/more consistant bet.

Also, in a control deck where you would be better served knowing your opponent's hand than fetching a specific card 3-deep, Gitaxian Probe is much better than Ponder.  Ponder works better for combo decks in this meta.

From the sounds of it, you are struggling against aggro, so your best bet would be to include Vapor Snag as well, and toss in some Dissmembers while you are at it.

I also think this deck would benefit from more than 2 Snapcasters.  Replace the BSZ's with a Consecrated Sphinx and a WSZ.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.

Okay,
after reading several posts am still uncertain about my deck and plan. I would like to get some feedback on this deck list and see what you guys think is good or sucks:
Land: 26
4 Glacial Fortress                                        Creatures: 3
4 Seachrome Coasts                           1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 Ghost Quarter                                  2 Snapcaster Mage
2 Buried Ruin                                              Plainswalkers: 4
7 Plains                                               2 Gideon Jura
6 Island                                              2 Karn, Liberated

Spells: 26                                                   Artifacts: 1
4 Mana Leak                                       1 Ratchet Bomb
4 Ponder
4 Think Twice
4 Day of Judgment                                    Sideboard: 15
3 Dissipate                                         3 Timely Reinforcements
2 Negate                                            3 Celestial Purge
2 Oblivion Ring                                   2 Flash Freeze
1 Blue Sun's Zenith                            2 Ratchet Bomb
1 White Sun's Zenith                          2 Mental Misstep
1 Surgical Extraction                          1 Surgical Extraction
                                                          1 Oblivion Ring
                                                          1 Phyrexian Metamorph

Please leave comment and explanations so I understand reasoning.
I think Elspeth was horrible for me, Phyrexian Metamorph can be brought back with Buried Ruin, and there were just too many one drops in my meta not to warrant Mental Misstep/Gut Shot/ or Dismember. In Cuneo's Sideboard I hated only 1 Flash Freeze and I think surgical extractions can help me get rid of problem cards like Moorland Haunt, Galvony township, and etc. after I have ghost quartered it and to flash it back with snapcasters seems like it might be sweet. I don't know how I feel about the Ratchet Bomb in the side versus the main but I feel I need more power in their spot. Any help is appreciated and all constructed criticism is welcomed. Please elaborate on your replies because I need to understand the reasoning and apply it to my meta for validity.
Thanks everyone,
Bill

-2 Karn, + 2 Snapcaster Mage.  The simple truth is that there aren't a lot of good ways to gain card advantage in UW right now, and Snappy is probably one of the best means of doing so.  

Ponder also isn't good here.  In order for it to be good, you have to have one of these two conditions, either you have to be playing a synergy/combo deck, or you have to be playing in a format where there are a lot of cheap/free shuffle effects.  In the last standard season, the fetchlands served that role, but without them it's much harder when you flip 2 bad cards and a good one.  You'd be much better off just playing Divination, Gitaxian Probe, or possibly even another finisher.  I'd also consider swapping the Negates for something else, since you already have 7 other counters maindeck.  
Sign In to post comments