Quiet lately ?

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seems to me that the mtgo-forum has been unusually quiet last 6 months or so.
Often see last post made 10-20 hours ago, which is much less frequent than earlier I think ?

Can it be that that the announcing and introduction of PWPs have made people less enthusiastic about MtG in general ?

Or perhaps people are just taking a break in anticipation of the new Client ?

Other reasons ?
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.
Seems to me that the mtgo-forum has been unusually quiet last 6 months or so.
Often see last post made 10-20 hours ago, which is much less frequent than earlier I think ?

Can it be that that the announcing and introduction of PWPs have made people less enthusiastic about MtG in general ?

Or perhaps people are just taking a break in anticipation of the new Client ?

Other reasons ?

A number of reasons. Some are still annoyed about the new forums. There hasn't been a whole lot of MTGO-centric news lately. Many posters are in the new client beta but can't discuss it here, while the rest don't have enough information to discuss the new client much. Plus, it's now the holidays, which are always slow around here as people are off from work and visiting family and whatnot.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
There is too much sensoring going on for some people.  Another thing is request for leagues, better trading systems, and other goodies have gone ignored for so long people have given up posting about them.  Most post in message boards are to argue (sensored) or to complain about leagues not coming back (wotc does not care).  That is why these forums have died over the last 6 months.

(This thread has been edited by Orc blahblah)
My last four posts have all been deleted by ORCs.  None of them were in any way against the site policy, but all of them were not complimentary to wizards over various issues.

The new policy of these boards has been to delete anything which has a good argument that makes wizards look bad.  I don't see much point in posting now.  Every month or so I still stop by and read the threads because the communication on the part of wizards is so bad that sometimes these forums are the only place where news is posted.
My last four posts have all been deleted by ORCs.  None of them were in any way against the site policy, but all of them were not complimentary to wizards over various issues.

The new policy of these boards has been to delete anything which has a good argument that makes wizards look bad.  I don't see much point in posting now.  Every month or so I still stop by and read the threads because the communication on the part of wizards is so bad that sometimes these forums are the only place where news is posted.

It's not just me that's noticing this happening then is it?

Nice to know.  Hopefully you'll see this before it gets deleted.
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Whoa, yeah, I actually haven't seen that before, but I just lost one for "baiting".  I suppose if you read my post as sarcastic (it wasn't supposed to be) then it would have been very negative.

Oh well.  I suppose "deleting everything negative to make things appear more positive" is at least a logical policy.  Not a good one, but a logical one.
The majority of threads are negative regarding Wizards and MTGO so I'm skeptical that being a good critical argument is the criterion by which posts are getting deleted. Unless maybe Wizards is intentionally leaving the bad critical arguments in place so the critics look silly. That must be it....
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
The majority of threads are negative regarding Wizards and MTGO so I'm skeptical that being a good critical argument is the criterion by which posts are getting deleted.

Agreed. I know I personally reported posts by a couple of those complaining above, and they were actually baiting the poster they were responding to. It's possible there have been legitimate posts deleted before I saw them, but let's just say I'm not convinced.

Now, please return the thread to discussing reasons why the boards may be dead rather than debating CoC enforcement. If anyone wants to continue discussing CoC enforcement, feel free to start a new thread in Boards Business. (CoC enforcement was a valid reason to bring up for the boards feeling dead, but I don't want this thread to be about debating whether those are justified or not. That people feel wronged, justified or not, is enough to keep them away.)

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
As per Bubba's request to returning the thread to discussing reasons why the boards may be dead...

While I believe that Wizards is reading these posts, it is very rare that they "participate". Sure, we get occasional responses to some direct questions. But, there's really no dialogue. We are essentially talking to ourselves about what's going on, what we would like to see changed, bugs that we run into, issues we've encountered, etc. This gets boring after a while. And, I don't see it attracting and retaining any new participants. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend these boards to someone I happen to be chatting with in-game.

I can't speak for other veteran posters (which is most of us these days since we are getting very few new participants), but I crave information. Wizards is very very tight with information. They don't let us know what's on the horizon, even for simple things. For example, when will Masques Block boosters leave the store or how much longer will the Masques Block NixTix drafts last? We'll probably get one week's notice (after which I'll draft like crazy to use up all of my packs).

If they know information like this, why can't it be shared in an informal post to these boards? Come on, surely they already have a date for when Masques Block boosters will be leaving the store (Orcs have no idea). These are just a couple of examples of tightly-held information.
As per Bubba's request to returning the thread to discussing reasons why the boards may be dead...

While I believe that Wizards is reading these posts, it is very rare that they "participate". Sure, we get occasional responses to some direct questions. But, there's really no dialogue. We are essentially talking to ourselves about what's going on, what we would like to see changed, bugs that we run into, issues we've encountered, etc. This gets boring after a while. And, I don't see it attracting and retaining any new participants. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend these boards to someone I happen to be chatting with in-game.

Moreover, most of those issues haven't changed in a few years now.  We've discussed them from just about every angle. Until the v4 information embargo is lifted, there just isn't much to discuss.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
ning any new participants. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend these boards to someone I happen to be chatting with in-game.

Moreover, most of those issues haven't changed in a few years now.  We've discussed them from just about every angle. Until the v4 information embargo is lifted, there just isn't much to discuss.

Yeah we've about clubbed every issue to death, and with no news from the front for the past two years, what should we discuss? Leagues still not here? Orcs have no clue? Wizards isn't very good at developing software? The shuffler is broken? Price payouts? Bots? Even the issue of the boards being quiet and Wizards not communicating at all have been done to death. It's a shame, but they succeeded in destroying this community. Oh well. I'm still planning to play in the first league I see, as I have been for the past three years. When V4 stops being vaporware, things will pick up.

EDIT: Boards destroyed my quote no idea how to fix.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
I can't speak for other veteran posters (which is most of us these days since we are getting very few new participants), but I crave information. Wizards is very very tight with information. They don't let us know what's on the horizon, even for simple things. For example, when will Masques Block boosters leave the store or how much longer will the Masques Block NixTix drafts last? We'll probably get one week's notice (after which I'll draft like crazy to use up all of my packs).

If they know information like this, why can't it be shared in an informal post to these boards? Come on, surely they already have a date for when Masques Block boosters will be leaving the store (Orcs have no idea). These are just a couple of examples of tightly-held information.

Seems silly to quote my own post, but both responders so far seem to have ignored this portion...

There is information that Wizards can share here but they choose not to. They don't talk about any feature changes until they are released. And, it's really just an announcement, not a discussion. Does this policy decision really make their customers happier? We do get "big" announcements, such as the 2012 Magic Online Championship Series news article. These types of articles are great. But, would it have been a bad move to let us know at the beginning of December that great changes were in the works?

Would it really have hurt to let us know ahead of time that they were looking into reorganizing the event rooms?

EDIT: Boards destroyed my quote no idea how to fix.

That's user error. Have to be careful about which quote tags you delete.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I for one thought people would be more interested in two consecutive tests showing the shuffler is non-random with over 95% certainty, but there was very little discussion of the final results of these tests. But perhaps there isn't really anything left to talk about that is specific to online magic, I spend most of my time in the limited forums.     

Seems silly to quote my own post, but both responders so far seem to have ignored this portion...

There is information that Wizards can share here but they choose not to. They don't talk about any feature changes until they are released. And, it's really just an announcement, not a discussion. Does this policy decision really make their customers happier? We do get "big" announcements, such as the 2012 Magic Online Championship Series news article. These types of articles are great. But, would it have been a bad move to let us know at the beginning of December that great changes were in the works?

Would it really have hurt to let us know ahead of time that they were looking into reorganizing the event rooms?

QFT

Great Post.

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
...For example, when will Masques Block boosters leave the store...

And the answer is: with less than 24 hours notice! Last chance to buy them is Wednesday morning at 5am.

New(ish) boards are awful to use, and it's very difficult to have any kind of meaningful debate with the posters who are left here since we all tend to fall into very polarized camps.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I've been using the new boards for so long that I don't really know what's so aweful about them. Maybe its because these are the only boards I particiapte in so I don't know what I'm missing?
New(ish) boards are awful to use, and it's very difficult to have any kind of meaningful debate with the posters who are left here since we all tend to fall into very polarized camps.

There you go again with polarized camp thing! Lies! There are no camps! You 'campers' need to stop spreading this nonsense!

Cool
I pop in on these forums every 1-2 months just to check if there is any major news about the game.  I figure since tonight is my aforementioned "pop in" day, this thread would be as good as any to post in.

Years ago I used to visit the old forums religiously, and you'd catch me on the forums almost hourly.  Back in the days where discussions were aplenty.  "Random Ranter" days, for the remaining few here whom know of what I speak of.  The short answer for why I've become so nearly detached from MTGO is two-fold:

1) WotC has slowly but surely worn me down to the bone.  The lack of comminucation, the carousel of community managers (or w/e they're called these days) and how they are nothing more than a PR position with their hands tied and can't ever say much relevant to our interests, the generally awful prize support, the disjointed Magic family of products information hub and the 37 bookmarks you must have to find everything you need, these new corporatized Hasbro forums that lack any personality whatsoever, the game client that looks like it was released when Ultima Online debuted, etc. 

There are things that WotC does right, and things they do poorly.  I loathe the complete lack of transparency on the behind-the-scenes stuff, and how information is withheld (or presented entirely too late).  It is their choice to carry themselves this way obviously, but it is one that has driven me from the product.  I wish we could have daily discussions with employees and to receive direct answers when we ask them a question, all the time.  Not once a month. 

2) Lack of leagues.  I know - first time you've ever heard anyone say this I bet.  It's been beaten to way too many deaths, but it's a primary reason for my lack of participation.  It's what I used to do in this game along with an occasional draft.  I would throw my money at WotC, often being in as many as 5 leagues at one time.  I loved the insane value that they represented.  I could sit in queues all day long, testing crazy deck builds (or farming tiebreaker points, if I was doing well). 

And now, while I'm sure that the return of leagues would bring me back to the game, I am not terribly excited for that day to arrive.  Because I know they will be neutered of much of their old "value" where you're probably not permitted to play endlessly.  Because that would mean WotC isn't getting a constant revenue stream beyond my initial $30 entry cost, and they want people like me to buy into more events. 

So, I do as I do, checking back in from time to time to see if the game has taken any sort of turn for the better.  I admittedly do log in for new set releases - not the criminally-costed prerelease events, but the  regular release events - and enjoy a sealed tourney or two.  But I really wish I had more of a reason to play this game regularly and to become an active community member once more. 

The main reasons I will cite for the decline of these forums are:
1) Visually and functionally they are sub-par.
2) {Edited}
Until 1 is fixed and 2 is relaxed I feel this resource and sense of community will continue to dwindle.

Sad times
-Hammer
Looking forward to Hex TCG MMO
The main reasons I will cite for the decline of these forums are:
1) Visually and functionally they are sub-par.
2) {Edited}
Until 1 is fixed and 2 is relaxed I feel this resource and sense of community will continue to dwindle.

Sad times
-Hammer

I think baiting has always been moderated fairly consistantly over the last 8 years.

I think post content was generally more clever a few years ago. It seems that I recall more tolerance to threads going offtopic with funny asides. Or, I dunno, maybe in general the community has lost its sense of humor and almost no one bothers trying to be funny. I know I play it 99% straight these days (at least with posting). Shrug.
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you

I’ve removed content from this thread because discussion of moderation in the forums is considered forum disruption and is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

If you have a question about moderation in the forums please contact Customer Service here:

wizards.custhelp.com/app/ask 

If you have a question about moderation in the forums please contact Customer Service here:

wizards.custhelp.com/app/ask 

No question, just an observation that the forums were a much better place when the WizO's were a part of the community, and not a outside police force.
Sadly, Randy Buhlers *wonderful* initiative ripped out the best parts of the boards. We were told that with the increased traffic Gleemox would generate necessitated a stricter, more detached type of moderation.
Well, we got that at least.

Yay?

Guess what? Chicken butt.

No question, just an observation that the forums were a much better place when the WizO's were a part of the community, and not a outside police force.
Sadly, Randy Buhlers *wonderful* initiative ripped out the best parts of the boards. We were told that with the increased traffic Gleemox would generate necessitated a stricter, more detached type of moderation.
Well, we got that at least.

Yay?

Agree about WizO's, but the schism had nothing to do with Gleemox.

Also, I welcome any discussion of *my* portion of the moderating. I've done my best to maintain the philosophy and policies of the WizO days as much as possible under the ORC/VCL system. Unfortunately, I have little control over the CoC edits by ORCs. Most of the edits are reasonable and needed, and most of the kvetching is about legitimate moderation. But they are not perfect, and do occasionally go to far (IMHO).

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I pop in on these forums every 1-2 months just to check if there is any major news about the game.  I figure since tonight is my aforementioned "pop in" day, this thread would be as good as any to post in.

Years ago I used to visit the old forums religiously, and you'd catch me on the forums almost hourly.  Back in the days where discussions were aplenty.  "Random Ranter" days, for the remaining few here whom know of what I speak of.  The short answer for why I've become so nearly detached from MTGO is two-fold:

1) WotC has slowly but surely worn me down to the bone.  The lack of comminucation, the carousel of community managers (or w/e they're called these days) and how they are nothing more than a PR position with their hands tied and can't ever say much relevant to our interests, the generally awful prize support, the disjointed Magic family of products information hub and the 37 bookmarks you must have to find everything you need, these new corporatized Hasbro forums that lack any personality whatsoever, the game client that looks like it was released when Ultima Online debuted, etc. 

There are things that WotC does right, and things they do poorly.  I loathe the complete lack of transparency on the behind-the-scenes stuff, and how information is withheld (or presented entirely too late).  It is their choice to carry themselves this way obviously, but it is one that has driven me from the product.  I wish we could have daily discussions with employees and to receive direct answers when we ask them a question, all the time.  Not once a month. 

2) Lack of leagues.  I know - first time you've ever heard anyone say this I bet.  It's been beaten to way too many deaths, but it's a primary reason for my lack of participation.  It's what I used to do in this game along with an occasional draft.  I would throw my money at WotC, often being in as many as 5 leagues at one time.  I loved the insane value that they represented.  I could sit in queues all day long, testing crazy deck builds (or farming tiebreaker points, if I was doing well). 

And now, while I'm sure that the return of leagues would bring me back to the game, I am not terribly excited for that day to arrive.  Because I know they will be neutered of much of their old "value" where you're probably not permitted to play endlessly.  Because that would mean WotC isn't getting a constant revenue stream beyond my initial $30 entry cost, and they want people like me to buy into more events. 

So, I do as I do, checking back in from time to time to see if the game has taken any sort of turn for the better.  I admittedly do log in for new set releases - not the criminally-costed prerelease events, but the  regular release events - and enjoy a sealed tourney or two.  But I really wish I had more of a reason to play this game regularly and to become an active community member once more. 

This post really nails it for me too.  At this point, the only fun I have is playing "find the prize cut" with each tournament announcement.

It's just too hard to justify devoting the time, energy, caring and money to play this game when the company running it refuses to do the same.
If you're looking for people chat with about Magic Online, you might also try logging into Magic Online. Thousands there, all the time.
Magic: The Gathering Rules Manager Wizards of the Coast Follow me @TabakRules
@WotC_MattT: I think it is comments like that that people are talking about when they talk about Wizards callousness and lack of caring. There is ZERO community on Magic Online chats. It's not like we are just looking in the wrong places.

Also, it is frustrating that you choose to join this conversation not to respond to any of the complaints about lack of communication and responsiveness, but instead to make a flippant, inaccurate comment. Is there any desire to address these complaints? Would it really be that much troouble to, say, institute an chat thread with one Wizard employee responding for an hour or two a week, answering questions? 
@WotC_MattT: I think it is comments like that that people are talking about when they talk about Wizards callousness and lack of caring. There is ZERO community on Magic Online chats. It's not like we are just looking in the wrong places.

Also, it is frustrating that you choose to join this conversation not to respond to any of the complaints about lack of communication and responsiveness, but instead to make a flippant, inaccurate comment. Is there any desire to address these complaints? Would it really be that much troouble to, say, institute an chat thread with one Wizard employee responding for an hour or two a week, answering questions? 

Spot on. This condescending attitude Wizards personnel keeps displaying is the root cause. We all know the rooms in Magic online are not suited for community talk. The risk of getting a ban or mute which counts against your valuable account is way too big to chat in there. All forum regulars will tell you: Don't talk outside games or clanchat on MODO.
If you're looking for people chat with about Magic Online, you might also try logging into Magic Online. Thousands there, all the time.

Let them eat cake. - M. Antoinette

And if you want to see clouds, take a plane trip.

And you wonder why people are upset at WotC communication skills.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I understand that people are upset about that comment, it was very very poorly timed.  It seems extremely negative in a vacuum.  However, I know from experience that Matt was just making a joke, rather than writing off everyone's criticisms of MTGO. The fact is, he is not in a position (as far as I know) to make any of these types of changes with MTGO/the forums, so there is nothing he could have commented with in that regard.

This is another problem with the forums.  People want WotC to be involved with us, especially in a casual way, rather than just handing down information/decrees from above.  However, whenever someone ventures to the boards to interact in that way or, literally, goes out of their way to do something nice, they will get attacked.  You can't justify trying to spend your free time being nice to people if all you get in return is venom spat in your face. 

Again, though, Matt did show some rather poor judgment in this particular case.  However, there are plenty of other times where the ire of the forums users was unjustly directed at a WotCer that was just trying to help.  A good example is Alexis.  She would look through the Bug & Tech issues forums doing several things: turning people's posts into actual bug reports, work with people to figure out exactly how a bug is occurring and to reproduce it, give advice about if something is really a bug or just a lack of rules knowledge, and (most importantly) give us information about when/if a bug was scheduled to be fixed.  Now, the bug &  tech issues forum is not the official way to be reporting bugs.  Its purpose is for MTGO users to help other MTGO users with MTGO problems, not for WotC to help people.  If you want help from WotC, including reporting bugs so they'll get fixed, you need to go through the official channels (custhelp). 

Alexis was taking time out of her day to interact with us there in a very helpful manner.  However, she'd be attacked by irate users over bugs/their problems not being fixed.  It's not like she has control over the priority list of MTGO issues, she is just the programmer that actually goes in and fixes things.  These unpleasant situations are likely the reason that she no longer posts in that forum.  I and several others miss her helpful little tidbits of information and help.  I just wish rude posters hadn't driven her away (my hypothesis, not fact)

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
The state of the boards is directly reflected on what WoTC wants. They want no discussion of MTGO period. The game is woefully out of date. There is no timeline on when it will appear anything more than that. (Yes, I am in the next build's beta, take that for whatever you wish). There is no communication outside of a quarterly report (which is due again no?).
There is nothing positive to say about the state of the program, so why bother saying anything at all? They are making their numbers with this nutured version which has less features than the original beta some what 8=9 years ago? I started just after that beta, and I enjoyed the auction room, /join bbs and /join casual. There is none of that anymore. You aren't allowed to have conversations in the "just for fun" room except to ask a question. Dont even get me started on the vertical chat, lack of status updates when having a private chat, lack of chat box locking after having to restart due to some bug/real life reason.

I am sure people will point out the integrated ecom (which doesn't do anything for me, the old way worked in the same manner for me as the current) and all the 24/7 access to tourneys.... Well folks, that should tell you what this is, a gentler version of gambling.

I dont post much anymore for said reasons, but know that some of the old timers still play, despite everything WoTC has done to disuade me. I don't spend nearly as much as I used to, but then I never was their target audience either. I have a backbone.    
My words were poorly chosen in my earlier post, but I always tend to err on the side of flippant and (what I see as) funny. You should try being with me in person sometime. I just didn't want people to equate the boards being less active with Magic Online being less active, because that just isn't true. I am sorry if I implied I was dismissing anyone's concerns. I wasn't intending to. Oh, and now that I look back, I see that my post didn't even say what I actually wanted to say. I wasn't saying go have a community chat in the game, I was trying to say go to the game to get people to have a community chat. Advertise your posts, invite discussion, etc.

As for WotC communication and involvement, I really can't say. Obviously I'm not on the Magic Online team, although you'll still find me in the game at least once a week chatting with players. I can't directly help with many of their concerns, but I try to talk things out with them, and sometimes something awesome comes up and I pass it along to the right folks. The vibe I got from this thread was "Everything sucks. Why aren't there more people on here talking about how everything sucks?" And my answer was "because not everyone believes that." It just came out all frustrated and wrong and stuff. I sometimes forget that I can't participate in discussions in the same way as I would have before I went to work for WotC. I am often ill-suited to be "The Man."

So, please, continue to have fun, and don't let my jokes get you down. If you were already down, well then... can I interest you in a knock-knock joke?
Thanks for clarifying your earlier post. I think most of us know that Wizards is making more money than ever with MTGO, and that that is the thing that counts for the company, and rightly so. But some of your customers value other things :-)
I find it pretty telling that the first post by a WotC person on these boards in months is immediately met with criticism in a thread that is talking aobut how little WotC interacts with us...

I thought your joke was funny matt!
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
I find it pretty telling that the first post by a WotC person on these boards in months is immediately met with criticism in a thread that is talking aobut how little WotC interacts with us...

I agree with your point but would like to mention that WotC_K posted something a couple of days ago about MOCS.

I instantly knew Matt was going to get blasted for it, but wound up not being for the reason I thought.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Yeah, when I read Matt's orginal comment I took it to mean "thousands of players are playing all the time so clearly we don't have to care."

Poorly timed, poorly worded, a really bad choice of words. 
See, and I thought the prevailing complaint would be that ORCs don't allow much discussion online and/or there is no good place for general chat.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Yeah, when I read Matt's orginal comment I took it to mean "thousands of players are playing all the time so clearly we don't have to care."

Wow, "poorly worded" AND "a really bad choice of words"! Who knew I'd miss so badly?

Wow, "poorly worded" AND "a really bad choice of words"! Who knew I'd miss so badly?

If I knew how to type the farting sound you can make with your lips there would totally be one headed your way right now.