[J@AT] You Make The Set

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
You Make The Set

(Join at any time!)

Hello, YMTC! I bring you: YMTS.

This was originally concepted as a year-long contest with seven judges (one for each day of the week), but I think it will work better as a game that I run myself. (I call it a "game" because there will be no grading of any sort until the end, and even then, there will be no "judges." Calling it a game will also hopefully serve to remove the stigma of offering constructive criticism to your fellow players, which is in fact highly encouraged in this thread!)

On this wonderful Eve to New Year's Eve, I invite you to think about a set.

On January 1, two days from now, you will make the first card of that set. You will keep going at a card a day until December 21, 2012. This will leave you with 356 cards. You can put these all into one large set if you'd like, or as an alternative, you can divide it into one large set (256 cards) and one small set (100 cards). The point is, at the end of this game, you will have a whole cohesive unit of cards, which you can someday develop into an entire block!

On odd days, I will post a criterion for the round. On even days, I won't. Those even days will be freeform; you can submit any card you want. If you have an idea for a criterion, feel free to PM it to me!

You can go back editing or replacing cards as much as you want, but the total number of cards you have posted in this thread can never be greater than the number of days it has been running. If you join late or miss a day and would like to make up for lost cards, you're free to do so, but you shouldn't feel obligated to; that sounds like work to me, and this is a game! Games are supposed to be fun!

Assuming we survive the apocalyse, there will be 10 bonus rounds at the end. You can use this time to edit your submissions.

A year from tomorrow, on January 1, 2013, the game will be over. Then, everyone who submitted at least 50 cards will vote on who they think has the best set (besides themselves). Even entires with a single card will be eligable to vote for, but anyone who submits a complete set will start out with 3 votes. If you posted a card every single day (i.e., joined at the very beginning & never went back to make a card for a day you missed), you start out with 5. The player with the most votes shall be the winner of the game! (And all the losers will cry forever.)

Sound fun? We start the day after tomorrow, so fasten your seatbelts!

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

[Reserved for set listings.]

quite the ambisious project
I'm definitely in. Should I post my set idea now?
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
I intend to participate, but I maintain no illusion that I'll actually post every day. Once the semester gets started and the game I'm running finishes, I'll probably disappear from the board. At least, until I'm done with finals.
I have too many irons in the fire.
Some useful keyboard shortcuts on Windows
Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
Eh, idk if I want in. My Febb Set is kind of in my head.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
I'll do it. It sounds like I'll have to do nothing else for the whole year but what the heck.
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
I'll give it a go.
blah blah metal lyrics
ParadOxymoron, I don't think I was very obvious when you asked me earlier (and apparently I've got a bad habit of ignoring all my PMs, sorry 'bout that), so I'd like to clarify that I'd be perfectly happy to act as a judge.  I've got one of my own personal sets just finishing and another one already in its early stages, so I don't feel too bad missing out on being a player in the competition.

Best of luck to everyone! 
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok

This is a useful post to make.

I'm game for this I think.

I'm in

There's already more than 150 cards in the set i'm working on, so 1 card per day shouldn't be a problem. I won't be able to be online every single day so i'll definately miss some, but i can just simply get it back lator

Q: do you post only one card per post, even if you've missed some days? or do you post all cards in the same post to save space?

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart

This is a useful post to make.

I'm game for this I think.

Don't quote me.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Don't quote me.

What, like this?
Don't quote me.

What, like this?

No, like this.
Don't quote me.

What, like this?

No, like this.

I can't tell the difference between the 2 quotes. spooky

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
so are we submitting our first card today?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
This post will be my base of operations. I will post new cards in new posts, but this post will contain everything.

Judging from the contents of Magic 2012, a set contains (roughly, since reprints at different rarities can muck things up):

15 mythic rares
57 rares
63 uncommons
110 commons 

Of course, this doesn't total up to the 237 cards in the set total. But it does, conveniently, total up to 245, just 5 short of the 250 cards this set will be. The other 5 will be basic lands.

I haven't figured out a 100-card distribution for the small set yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. (It's optimistic to think I'll finish the large set, let alone the small one.)

My set will be set on Ravnica (a return to Ravnica, if you will). Multicolor, especially the guilds, will be a major set theme.

I need to decide which guild mechanics will be returning, which ones will be replaced, and what new mechanics may show up. I also need to figure out a hybrid mana–like solution to Limited and create a set map of which mechanics will show up where.

For today, I'll just post one card.

Relic of the Guildpact 
Artifact C

: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Transmute  (, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as this card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)

Set One: Return to Ravnica (working title)

commons (1)

Relic of the Guildpact 
Artifact C

: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Transmute  (, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as this card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)

uncommons (3)

Bloodbath Coven 
Creature — Vampire U

Flying
Bloodthirst 3 (If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this creature enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it.)

When it comes to parties, they prefer to arrive after the bloodshed has begun.

1/1

Carnival Grounds
Land U

, Pay 1 life: Add or to your mana pool.
Cycling  (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
When you cycle Carnival Grounds, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Electrolysis Chamber
Land U

Cycling
When you cycle Electrolysis Chamber, it deals 2 damage divided as you choose among one or two target creatures and/or players. 

Fillibuster Chamber
Land U 

When you cycle Fillibuster Chamber, counter target spell. If it’s countered this way, return it to its owner’s hand instead of putting it into that player’s graveyard.

Training Yard
Land U

Cycling
When you cycle Training Yard, target creature gains double strike until end of turn. 

rare (2)

Incise the Æther 
Instant R

You may exile three blue cards from your graveyard rather than pay Incise the Æther's mana cost.
Counter target spell.
Dredge 4 (If you would draw a card, instead you may put exactly four cards from the top of your library into your graveyard. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)

Snap the Threads 
Instant R

Radiance — Return target creature and each creature that shares a color with that creature to their owners' hands.

Every being requires a unique procedure to be summoned, but there’s a universal method to reversing the process.

Set Two: Isolation

mythic (1)

Isolation 
Sorcery M

Destroy all nonland permanents. Each player discards his or her hand.

When the guilds withdrew their services from the city, the entire system collapsed. Laws went unenforced, food went undelivered, and waste and corpses piled in the streets. 

Long dash (em-dash) — Alt+0151 Short dash (en-dash) – Alt+0150 Capital æsc Æ Alt+0198 Lowercase æsc æ Alt+0230 Or you could just copy/paste them from this signature, I guess.
This post will be my base of operations. I will post new cards in new posts, but this post will contain everything.

Paragon
They were living in the perfect place...

Cards

Glowgore Predator |
Creature — Beast - (C)
Whenever Glowgore Predator
attacks, you may pay . If you do,
Glowgore Predator gets +2/+2 until
end of turn.
You can’t see its teeth until it’s too late.
2 / 2

Paragon |
Enchantment - (M)
Creatures you control are 1/1 and
are indestructible.
At the beginning of your upkeep,
put a 5/5 white Angel creature token
with flying and vigilance onto the
battlefield.

I've been plagiarized! o.0

I still don't have an overarching plan for mechanic-distribution across the colors, but here's another card. I'm not sure whether to peg this card (which is one card of a transguild cycle) as uncommon or rare. Opinions would be nice.

Shrine to Rakdos
Land U/R

When you cycle Shrine to Rakdos, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

An alterate to this design would be one where the first ability doesn't cost life but produces colorless mana. Another option is including both mana abilities, in which case the cycle would definitely be rare.

(Apparently this means I'm using cycling in the set. Maybe I'll just pull a Future Sight and use everything I can think of. But probably not.) 
I was planing to do a whole block for a couple of friends and myself to play around with and was running through the net as a whole looking for ideas.

So yea Im going to sign up for this. It would be nice to showcase the "work" Ive put into the set as a whole and Ive been meaning to join a magic forum for a while.

In conclusion: Hi.

Actual set building time.

Im going in the oposite way to how (according to MaRo) the actual game is made, building story first (as a-typical and stock as my current story is) and mechanics are made second in order to actually flesh out the world. Mostly because Magic has always interested me more as a storytelling medium than as a game (though its a damn good game), but mostly because its way easier to write off any power imbalences or broken mechanics in the game as being "Narratively imperative" rather than just being me not playtesting enough.

(Please also note that all art is ripped whole cloth from places like deviant art or google images to compensate for my complete lack of artistic talent if you see a peice of art that is some variation of your property, please message me and tell me to remove it. However this isnt exactly a for profit endevor so I hope that you would let it slide.)

(Please also note [part 2] that Im going to be doing three cards a day in order to actually do the full size block I want to do.)

Now for the actual cards and all that...

Set 1: Death
i.imgur.com/VAGXr.jpg
i.imgur.com/PDMVo.jpg

i.imgur.com/PN6Rt.jpg
i.imgur.com/pmBHF.jpg
i.imgur.com/5Iwwk.jpg

Set 2: And

Set 3: Taxes
i.imgur.com/JDBHD.jpg
I'm going to give this a shot as well. Inspired by Pratchet a bit, I guess. Also intended to be combo-licious because I'm not going to sell it so I might as well build something I would enjoy instead of something that everyone will enjoy.

It'll be called Dreamscape. At least for the time being.

Latest card:

Haunting Doom |
Creature - Nightmare [C]

Figment (When a creature with Figment would be put into a graveyard from play or becomes the target of a spell or ability, return it to its owner's hand)

2/2
It's only real until you look more closely.

Show

Commons

Rowdy Feegles |
Creature - Pixie [C]

When Rowdy Feegles becomes the target of a spell or ability, it must attack this turn if able.

3/2
Feegles are easily provoked, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Haunting Doom |
Creature - Nightmare [C]

Figment (When a creature with Figment would be put into a graveyard from play or becomes the target of a spell or ability, return it to its owner's hand)

2/2
It's only real until you look more closely.

Uncommon

Repressed Nightmare |
Creature - Nightmare [u]

Flying

When Repressed Nightmare comes into play, if you didn't cast it, put two +1/+1 counters on it.

2/1
The worst kind of things are the ones that come from an unexpected angle.

Dreamcatcher | 
Artifact [u]

Nightmares cannot attack or block.

They say it destroys nightmares. But really, they're just kept inside to grow.

Mythic

Dreamscape |
Enchantment
(M)

Each creature's power and toughness is equal to their converted mana cost plus the number of abilities they have.

On the dreamscape, it's not what you are, but how convinced you are that you are that counts.

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

Ok, here we go!

To the Sky

New Mechanics

Legend Strike: This creature deals combat damage before creatures without legend strike, before creatures with first strike or double strike.

Mythic: If this creature and another creature whose name's first word is the same as the first word of this creature's name is on the battlefield at the same time, they are both put into their owner's graveyard as a state-based action. (This keyword is used so that two same-owls in different dimensions/time periods will not fight each other (e.g. so that Soren, the Spirit Guardian won't kill Soren, the Legend))

Air strike {number}: Whenever this creature blocks or become blocked by a creature, it deals {param1} damage to that creature. If that creature has flying, it deals twice that much damage instead and the damage can’t be prevented.

Consternation from {name}: {if has_pt() then "If this creature" else "If this permanant"} would be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything {english_singular(param1)}, sacrifice it instead.

Always mythic first :D

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
STOP SOPA/PIPA. Okay, a little post about this in my sig which half of the people on here won't even see isn't likely to do a lot, but if you aren't aware of what's going on, educate yourself. And then join in the chorus of voices shouting at the U.S. Congress to stop these bills. Visit Wikipedia to learn more and to contact your Senators and Representatives. -- According to lawyers… (SOPA) doesn’t shut down your website and remove it from the Internet. It just makes it so that people cannot, in any way, access the website. So it’s sort of like coming up with a plan to prevent teen pregnancy that includes filling penises with cement. — Jon Stewart
Show

[spoiler Week 1]
New Beginning
Instant
Restart this phase. (Exile all spells and ability on the stack. If any creature is attacking, remove them from combat.)

Imaze, Origin of Dreams 
Legendary Creature - Incarnation
Etheral
Whenever an aura is attached to ~, if it's not a token, for each creature you control, put a token that's a copy of that aura onto the battlefield enchanting that creature.
1/5

[/spoiler]

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
My set is Racaar, the story of the plane the plane of Draa'an where a force called racaar is dwelling, ancient pharoahs rule the land and the harsh environment makes life tough. It would aim for a desert-like setting, with many ancient artifacts about.

artifact

Pharaoh's Sceptre  

(white)Legendary Arftifact [rare]

, T: target player gains 3 life
, T: Exile target enchantment
If you are dealt 5 damage or more in a single turn, you may transform ~

//////////////////////////////////

Pharaoh's Flail
(Red)Legendary Arftifact

, T: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player
, T: Target creature gains double strike until end of turn

If you deal more than 5 damage in a single turn, you may transform ~

Here is a land:

the land

Palace of Kemnebi
Land Rare

T: Add or to your mana pool
: Put a 4/3 red and white cat creature token into play named "Panther of Kemnebi"

NOTE: Apparently, Kemnebi is "Black Panther" in ancient egyptian

EDIT: Edited in my day three explanation
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
I'll start with something simple and generic before I define the themes of the set.

Glowgore Predator |
Creature — Beast - (C)
Whenever Glowgore Predator
attacks, you may pay . If you do,
Glowgore Predator gets +2/+2 until
end of turn.
You can’t see its teeth until it’s too late.
2 / 2

Let's give this a go.

The Gates

White purifies
Blue channels
Black corrupts
Red amplifies
Green utilizes

Reinforce
Instant
Target enchantment is indestructible until the end of the turn.

Infection
Sorcery
Target aura gains "Enchanted creatures gets -2/-2." 

The Gates
Land [M]
Sacrifice an enchantment: Add two mana of any color to your mana pool.

Wolf Totem
Artifact
As long as ~ is enchanted it's a 2/2 green Wolf creature in addition to its other types.

Lay Bare
Instant
Destroy all Auras.

There has never been anything here...now there is.
I'm really confused as to whether this is supposed to have started?

I mean, I guess it has, but wasn't Jan 1 an odd day? We had no criteria, we've had no post by the person running this since supposed start date...
blah blah metal lyrics
OK, new plan: Don't ever expect me to grade or comment on your cards, because if I agree to do it for everybody then this happens (because it makes me start to think of it as work) and I don't get to do it for anybody.

Also: I'm just going to post a criterion every day that I feel like it, and the rest of the days will be free days, ok? I apologize if that's too chaotic, but as I said, any more commitment than that would lead to a stress implosion, which in turn would lead to my dreams of a radiant future being crushed by the brutal onslaught of actual present reality.

I would be willing to set up a panel of 7 judges if you guys want, but I wouldn't want to be one of them.

Day 3
Make a card with the same name as your set, like Conflux, or if Time Spiral had been reprinted in Time Spiral.

I'll just try to keep posting cards. This project already sounded a bit too ambitious for just one person Tongue Out As far as I'm concerned, feel free to post criteria when you want, they help shape a set. Just try to keep them as something that can work in any set, I guess.

---

Here it is, day3 criteria. I was going to avoid making this for a while, but I guess I have no choice now Wink

Dreamscape |
Enchantment
(M)

Each creature's power and toughness is equal to their converted mana cost plus the number of abilities they have.

On the dreamscape, it's not what you are, but how convinced you are that you are that counts.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Fair enough.

Do I have to make a card for each set or can I just choose one set and set the card out of that particular set? In fact I should probably set up a name for these sets in any case.

Also: Is the full block/ three set, set ok for me to do(?) and if so which set would be set aside and set against every other persons set?

Egyptian god of the underworld.
Name: 
Theme: Crime and Mystery
Editing: Very often.
Mechanics/Ideas: "Crimes," "Solving," multicolors, etc.
White: Aims to bring justice and close the case.
Blue: Can solve cases. Clever.
Black: Plots crimes.
Red: Commits violent crimes. Takes action.
Green: Bystanders. Observers.

[Spoiler=Day Entries]
Day 1

Teyon Rodrick
Legendary Creature - Human Scout (R)
Vigilance, First strike
Whenever you cast a Clue spell, you may scry 1, then draw a card.
2/3

Day 2

Riad Hisham
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel (R)
Intimidate
Whenever you cast a Crime spell. you may destroy target land. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Riad Hisham.
3/3

Day 3

Undecided

Day 4

The Bazaar Brutality
Enchantment - Crime (U)
When The Bazaar Brutality enters the battlefield, you may tap any number of creatures you control. If you do, destroy target creature with a converted mana cost less than the total power of the creatures you tapped in this way.
When The Bazaar Brutality has two or more quest counters on it, target opponent gains control of it, then transforms it.
-----
Loiodice Bazaar
[u] Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep you may tap two untapped creatures you control. If you do, draw a card.

Day 5

Traces of Blood 
Instant - Clue (C)
Target player discards a card, then choose one: put a quest counter on target crime; or put a quest counter on target creature.
"Analyze the blood and see if we have a match..."

Day6
Undecided

Day 7

Bloodhound
Creature - Hound (U)
When Bloodhound comes into play, if a creature died this turn, you may return a Clue card from your graveyard to your hand.
"He has a scent. the body must be nearby..."
1/1

Day 8

Ransack the Armory
Enchantment - Crime (U)
When Ransack the Armory enters the battlefield, destroy up to three target artifacts.

I haven't decided on a name for my set/block yet, but I guess I'll name the second set Isolation (yes, I'm borrowing from my own submission to altimis's booster pack contest).

Isolation 
Sorcery M

Destroy all nonland permanents. Each player discards his or her hand.

When the guilds withdrew their services from the city, the entire system collapsed. Laws went unenforced, food went undelivered, and waste and corpses piled in the streets.
Well, the first set is just named after the plane, so it wouldn't really make sense for a card name. And the second set...already shares its name with a card. But for the sake of the round, I'll pretend it doesn't. I suppose the card will be renamed if I decide to use it for the set.

Aggression
Enchantment (M)
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, you may search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of attacking creatures and put that card onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. If you do, shuffle your library.

I'll make up for the first two cards when I feel like it.

Edit: Also, for my convenience, I'll keep a list of cards here:
blah blah metal lyrics
Elissia 
Sorcery
Destroy each nonland permanent without any counter on it.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
This is an ambitious project and i want no commitment to it. People please post 365 cards already.

what i read.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
This is an ambitious project and i want no commitment to it. People please post 365 cards already.

what i read.

EXACTLY

If that's too lame, I could just ask a mod to delete the thread. 

Actually, it turns out I have exactly two cards in my random pile of cards for this set that I haven't posted before and seem worth doing so, so I'll call those my first two days, even though I want to be largely designing new cards for this contest.

Legion Barracks
Artifact - Fortification (R)
Fortified land has “: This land becomes a 2/2 Human Soldier creature until end of turn. It’s still a land.”
Fortify (: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery.)

Navaya Miras
Planeswalker - Navaya (M)
[+1]: Draw a card and you lose 1 life.
[-1]: Put a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying and lifelink onto the battlefield.
[-8]: Destroy up to X target permanents, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
(3)
blah blah metal lyrics
I can judge, as long as I have Fallingman or Detektor to disagree with. ;)

Paragon |
Enchantment - (M)
Creatures you control are 1/1 and
are indestructible.
At the beginning of your upkeep,
put a 5/5 white Angel creature token
with flying and vigilance onto the
battlefield.

day 3's card:

~ You Take to the Sky ~

57325798 wrote:
Sign In to post comments