What is your favorite improvisation or page 42 use...

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is one.
An archer ranger fires arrows to knock two orc guards from upper levels on a pillared building front so they fell and hit their own allies below I figured it wouldnt be very repeatable but sounded awesome enough that I basicallly allowed it to flow as though a double use of twin strike (kind of like letting him have a free action point). 

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Kicking a table or other object out from under someone to make them save against falling prone.

Weaker than an at-will, but in the right situation, still soooo useful.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
Using Athletics to charge vertically (basically climb-charge, although described as simply running up a tree) and bodyslamming off the roof of a building onto a little Goblin below. Poor guy.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
A druid wildshaped into a bear suffocating a small monster who had 50 damage resistance (low paragon) by sitting on him, after the rest of the party collapsed the town hall onto the monster so that there would be sufficient mass that he wouldn't be able to move even if he could escape the grab.
Giving my one player combat advantage, because he loved spending at least one of his turns climbing something so he could death from above into combat.  For great heights, I would consider splitting the falling damage between him and the target.
Here is one too complex but I like it anyway.

An attempt to use a fire attack to heat your enemies weapons giving them un comfortable options
most of which include being unable to take opportunity attacks till next turn.

• drop the weapon and spend a minor to draw a new one during there next turn.

• dives after the weapon (and be considered prone.)

• grits his teeth and takes the normal damage burning his hands.(may be able to make an opportunity attack with a -2)

• bobble the weapon and move after it 2 sq in random direction

DM might chose for some but a d4 might be used   and for a minion they just drop weapon and run like crazy... or their weapon is turned to slag and they cower in incredible fear.

May be dependent on an arcana check and an attack roll of course.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Wizard+Arcane Mutterings+Chalk= Scary-looking diagrams that look like dangerous magic circles. Nobody is invading THIS camp.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
To create chase scenes while giving slower characters a chance to not fail, I represent it as a series of d20 rolls where opposing creatures use their movement speeds as modifiers, interspersed with skill checks as they come up.
In my group's very first game my players astounded me by throwing a dagger hilt-first at a door to lure a group of goblins and a bugbear to the bottom of a set of stairs at the top of which stood a deactivated Flesh Golem. A Golem which they promptly pushed down the stairs landing attop the goblins knocking them all prone. This was their first encounter. Since that day they have drowned an Orc Warlord by pushing him in a lake and freezing the surface above him, one of them sky-dived off a Halruuan skyship using some spare sail-cloth as a parachute, another used a signal flare to "target-paint" a shadow dragon later in that same encounter.

Caverns have been collapsed upon Trolls, various spells have been used to burst open the walls of flimsy buildings, an Alchemist's Fire has been left atop a door so that it drops atop the enemy's head as they enter the room which suitably messy consequences.

Bruce, the party's Monk had been transmuted into a Squirrel by an enemy spell. In his minituries state, stranded on the wrong side of an encounter after another party member had indianna-jonesed the rope bridge leader to where he needed to be came up with a plan to leap from Stirge to stirge in order to make the other side.

But my favourite, the best of all came in a recent encounter during my Neverwinter campaign. One character was a Spellscarred Harbinger and, in the pressance of an intense pocket of spellplague the party wizard wanted to attempt to channel the energy of the plague through the Harbinger to defeat their foe. The Harbinger said try it and the wizard did. He rolled a 1. I asked the Harbinger to make a save. He too rolled a 1. I then made one final roll and rolled a 20. I decided that his head exploded.

Good thread idea Garthanos.
In my group's very first game my players astounded me by throwing a dagger hilt-first at a door to lure a group of goblins and a bugbear to the bottom of a set of stairs at the top of which stood a deactivated Flesh Golem. A Golem which they promptly pushed down the stairs landing attop the goblins knocking them all prone. This was their first encounter.  

Awesome I call that starting off with a bang

Unusual uses of skills I think counts
I let players who had ritualist use there Arcana skills finish an incomplete enchantment ritual to activate a certain paint which was used to detect very subtle corrupting magics permeating metal objects which were responsible for a plague of zombie like mutants

My current character, a sorcerer, just acquired this very fun magic cloak that can create a common item worth less then 8gp (I believe that is the value). So far I've managed to:

The party runs across a band of kobold with tamed wolves. I begin at the top of the initiative. I pull out a slab of meat from my cloak and throw it behind the pack of wolves. A couple of the wolves went after it and were distracted for a few rounds.

The party is just mopping up a different fight with some more kobolds in the forest. One of the remaining kobolds runs up to my sorcerer and stabs him with it's spear. In response, I drop my staff, proclaim "This is how we fight in the city!", pull out a bar stool from the cloak and bash the kobold over his head with it, killing him.

I love my cloak! Tongue Out

Me and a DM COmpanion were in an arena fighting a boss, amusingly based on Destroy Man from No More Heroes(the rest of the party split up to fight the other 2 bosses, as a hit on all 3 at once was required). The boss soon takes off into the air and rains missles at us. He rolls all 2s against me. He said the roll was so bad, I can shift 2 squares to dodge the missles, which I did.

I think lept about 30 feet in the air, smacked him in the face and knocked him to the ground. All the while me and said boss have this back and forth verbal match. Pretty fun.
Good thread idea Garthanos.

The hope is for an inspiring resource to come out of it. Wrecan had some more extensive guidelines about how to do page 42 (basically ways to avoid accidentally making an at-will better than a real at-will) and so on. I would like him to post that here

Okay. Here are my rules of thumb for improvised actions...

1. An improvised action can inflict damage or a condition, but not both.

2. The effect of an improvised action lasts until the end of the target's next turn, or can be ended with a minor or move action, at the discretion of the DM.

3. An improvised action cannot inflict the stunned, helpless, dying, or dead conditions.

4. An improvised action cannot impose forced movement of more than one square per tier of play.

5. The player states, without reference to mechanics, when his character attempts; the DM determines how tha translates mechanically.

2. The effect of an improvised action lasts until the end of the target's next turn, or can be ended with a minor or move action, at the discretion of the DM.

3. An improvised action cannot inflict the stunned, helpless, dying, or dead conditions.

4. An improvised action cannot impose forced movement of more than one square per tier of play.

5. The player states, without reference to mechanics, when his character attempts; the DM determines how tha translates mechanically.

If the use is situational/unlikely to line up in the future it should scale up right?

Plus I allow the wizard to affect multiple targets in my example with heating the weapons.. this inspired by its derivation from one of the characters existing powers. 

And I allowed a situational boost of an at-will to what I felt was like an encounter level

They're rules of thumb, not rules in stone.
They're rules of thumb, not rules in stone.

Sure a good starting point and subject to judgement calls.
There are people who seem to worry about page 42 use being not worthy compared to powers and others who worry about them being too worthwhile... .hehehe.

Wrecan I'm swiping you improvised actiosn rules for my group's campaign. Thanks! Laughing

As for the OP's topic ...

During the last two encounters of "Lost Crown of Neverwinter", one of the party (the knight) readied an action to tackle the Heir once the magic bubble dropped. So it became a simple Bull Rush with knocking the the target prone instead of pushing it, but with both ending up prone on the ground.

Later, when the party succeeded in knocking the Heir unconcious, I had the crown finally fall off and wobble roll in circles until it fell near the feet of one of the more rp-oriented players ... who promptly picked it up on his next turn. His Will was attacked and he fell under the crown's influence. (He was their leader/healer, too. hehe)

The drow thief player wanted to use her hand crossbow and shoot the crown out of the leader's hand when she saw him blank out a little. I told her to make a ranged basic and if she missed the leader's AC by 5 or more, the shot hits him instead. Both players agreed (as I knew they would because this stuff is their meat and potatoes) and she fired ... and missed with a natural 1, hitting her ally for some damage.

Not being one to punish creative thinking, I had already decided if she missed and hit him, he would get an immediate saving throw against the crown's influence, thus possibly avoiding the forthcoming domination effect once the dragon awoke (which neither knew was coming). He succeeded at the save.

the crown dropped from his fingers, again wobble rolling across the courtyard to end up at the feet of the drow thief ... who had tried to steal this very same crown in the Game Day adventure prologue to this Encounters season. She scooped up the crown and started hightailing it away from the courtyard to stash it for later purpose. (Her will was attacked, but missed. Drat!)

I adjudged she would not be present for the interrogation of the Heir, and would arrive at the top of round 2 when the dragon awoke. She came back, helped defeat the dragon in a close fight, and as the crowds surged around the heroes and General Sabine finally came rolling up, she slipped away into the crowd, retrieved the crown, and made her way to her Breagan Darth allies in the Underdark.

Since she would have missed out on the 500 gp reward from Neverember, she got paid 500 gp by the other drow for the crown, so she did not lose out on in game rewards for doing something out of the oridinary ... though she is now wanted, dead or alive, in Neverwinter. Which may or may not come up in future LFR adventures since the characters can transfer over.

all in all, was a good dession.
We had a impromptu skill challenge to disarm a dominated ally a while back those do seem to result in desparate roleplay.

I once used my Warforged's automagic embedded grappling hook launcher (aka Bracers of Brachiation) to weigh down and climb a giant carnivorous plant. I've also landed an airship on top of another airship to flatten their defenses as we boarded them.

Another player used the sheets from his bedroll as a parachute to basejump off a cliff, and used rocketboots to power an airborne charge.

Yet another player has their entire character built around the idea of swinging random stuff lying around: tables, stools, sausages, rolling pins, armour stands, trouts... pretty much anything that isn't normally a weapon but would be awesome to smack baddies over the head with.
mostly if improvised actions come up in our games it are things that create cover concealment or dificult terain.
Usualy this consist of knocking over some part of furnature.

unusual item use:
use 10 imovable shafts to create a mashwork on which you create the foundations on witch you build your wizards tower( and then seal in the shafts).
creating a flying tower for 150.000 GP
well it doesen't actualy fly ( it does not move)  but is still high up in the air difficult to assault and looking impressive.

This is pretty much what I go with, though I've never bothered to make a list. Very good examples.
A classic is knocking heavy curtains down on several bad guys to induce blindness till they spend a move action to get out from under ...

Another might be smashing a pair of adjacent enemies heads together or pounding on top of there helmets hoping the helmets slip over there eyes ... might only be a minor to recover from but still pretty vivid and if you have been using your cleave as "using enemies one against the other" this seems like a fun continuance and your dm might not make the athletics check too hard.   I might have the attack do damage to one and blind the other (could even be a bleeding head injury getting in his allies eyes instead of the helment slip).

Ofcourse if the two are just minions and the player has cleave or twinstrike as a dm I would just let the move knock the enemies out as well. I think its important to adjudicate the improvised move based on what the character can do as part of there normal fighting style.

I think all improvised attacks should also cause the loss of one hit point ;p
the idea being that heroic effort of suitable degree has been launched against
the target that it seems reasonable minions should be defeated... in a form
appropriate to the action attempted.

In an adventure I was playing in, my fighter was attacked by an assassin in his room at the inn.  The assassin waited until I was alone and tried to kill me in my sleep.  Fortunately, I was bit tougher than he realized and a fight ensued.  The assassin turned invisible to try and finish me off with sneak attacks.  So I grabbed the blanket off my bed and swung it around me, all fanned out, until it hit the assassin and draped over him.  Grabbing the blanked was a minor action and swinging it was a standard action.  I then used an action point to attack the assassin and finish the fight.  Surprised my DM (who still smiled about it) and probably saved my character's life.  Good times. 
I think all improvised attacks should also cause the loss of one hit point ;p

Good point.
I've always assumed that improv via page 42 should be at least equal in weight to an at-will attack or utility power the character would use.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
I've always assumed that improv via page 42 should be at least equal in weight to an at-will attack or utility power the character would use.

If the improvisation can be repeated easily and without real limit I disagree, I think there is some desire for the at-wills and utilities to remain the go to guys.... when improvising if it is inkeeping with abilities you already have that is a booster but.  If its actually a situational thing then hey it needs to be better than an at-will ie step on up.

If its actually a situational thing then hey it needs to be better than an at-will ie step on up.

Exactly.  At-will attacks should be objectively better than improvised attacks, but improvised attacks can be situationally better than at-will attacks.  That way the At-Will is the default.  You use it if you can't think of an improvised attack that makes more sense.  The improvised attack is what you do when you think "You know what would be awesome right now?" but isn't something you'd ever think of spamming.
If its actually a situational thing then hey it needs to be better than an at-will ie step on up.

Exactly.  At-will attacks should be objectively better than improvised attacks, but improvised attacks can be situationally better than at-will attacks.  That way the At-Will is the default.  You use it if you can't think of an improvised attack that makes more sense.  The improvised attack is what you do when you think "You know what would be awesome right now?" but isn't something you'd ever think of spamming.

Well, I figures the situationally was obvious.  Equal to or better, but relying on the specific circumstance that would make it so.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Wrecan made a blog post pertinent to this.

I have seen somebody suggesting one time that every attack should start as an improvised one.... I dont agree as I feel a repertoire of well known moves goes a long way towards defining a baseline for when you improvise.

I was reading the phb and wondered how one might present improvised attacks/actions to the players so that they were made more important.

Well, by making sure they're useful. If you do something awesome, the results should be awesome, not feel like the time would be better spent making a melee basic attack.

You can give players hints by having NPCs do improvised stuff. If every monster out there just uses their attack powers, that's not particularly interesting. But if an orc sets fire to a tent with a player inside, the players might feel inspired to do the same next time they catch an enemy in a tent.

Also, describe the scene. If you just throw down a grid and put monsters on it, there's little reason to try knocking over tables and pulling rugs from under monsters' feet - the players have no way of knowing these objects are even present, let alone interesting. But if you describe the bandit king standing under a big glass chandelier, someone might just cut the rope.

If all else fails, print some terrain power cards and show them to the players when appropriate. Or you can always suggest alternative courses of action. Just don't railroad the players into specific improvised actions, particularly if they don't fit the character. Here's a little example from a session some months ago, slightly altered for illustrative purposes:

DM: The dragon is struggling to enter the tunnel. It's a bit too narrow for him, but he's making his way towards you at a moderate pace, knocking rubble aside as he moves.
Me: "How far away is this dragon? We only need to buy a few moments until the teleportation spell is ready."
DM: "He's still about fifty meters away."
Me: "That's fine. I send my rock golem (a multiclass spirit companion) to block/annoy him as we run deeper into the tunnel."
DM: "He bites at the golem. 30 vs AC. 25 damage if it hits."
Me: "Yep, that hits. The golem crumbles, and I take 10 points of damage."
DM: "The dragon doesn't seem to slow down. He's thirty meters away now."
Me: "Right. I resummon the golem, set it up to block the path next to the support beam, and try to poke the ceiling enough to fill the path with rubble and the air with dust. Not above my head, mind you, I'd rather not be crushed."
DM: "He bites at the golem again. 32 vs AC, more damage so it's destroyed again. The dragon sneezes from the dust, covering you in fiery mucus for 22 damage. The dragon doesn't seem to slow down. "
Me: "12 damage, I have fire resistance. Anyway, I don't think he needs to slow down, we can just keep running. Isn't that teleportation spell done yet?"
DM: "Nope. Aren't you going to stop the dragon?"
(...)
Me: "Fine. I smack the next support beam with my stick, trying to hit a weak spot in the construction. It has reach, so I stay as far away as I can. I rolled a 15."
DM: "Ahh, finally! The tunnel starts to collapse behind you. The dragon is slowly digging his way out of the rubble towards you, but you'll be long gone before he's freed himself."
Me: "...You know my character is a goblin with 8 strength, right? This should never have worked. Anyway, did we get all the magic shards?"

Basically, my character was specifically built around disposable summoned creatures. You'd think eating a rock golem would cost a few moments, but that wasn't what the DM had in mind, so it didn't work. Leaving the party's defender to block the hallway didn't seem like a nice thing to do, and he didn't really see a way to contribute. Was still a fun session, but that tunnel part dragged on a bit.
Ambush
I describe an orc as squinting in to the sun indicating why he hasnt noticed them yet and the Warlock declares he is going to move precisely in line with it and channel his eldritch bolt following the beam of light into the orcs face.... I like throwing skill checks in so a perception check seems in order but the results ought to be mega - cool.. I allow it induce blindness on the happless fellow in addition to high end damage.

Player: I call up the frost of winter and we walk across the lake...
DM: what power is that? 
Player: oh I suppose at will freezing burst 
DM: awesome. 

Situation : a party of three, after a long fight with a brown dragon (3 level under them) spanning 4 different encounters finally surrenders.
They find themselves prisoner in the dragon's larder/kitchen, in suspended cages, with no weapon or armor, under the watch of the gnome cook and his ogre assistant. While two of them (ranger and warlock) manage to escape their cage, and begin to fight with improvized kitchen weapons, the halfling bard began rocking the cage she was still prisonner in, trying to use it as a weapon against the ogre - succesfully.

They also once managed to steal a house  (killing the evil wizard leaving here, and then managing to convince everyone in the city, including the wizard's domesticity, that he had gone for a trip and sold them his properties) but it would be a more fitting example for a skill challenge than rule 42.
Remember Tunnel Seventeen !
I think it's great incentive to give nice effects to improvised actions, as long as they are not spammable. Otherwise it would get silly and broken real quickly. It's just a matter of having that clear with the players.

This happened the other day as I was DMing: Paladin manages to climb her way towards a high platform and jumps on top of the hovering Beholder. She is Strength based and trained in Athletics, so she manages to keep hold, and decides to hack at the eye stalks. I thought it was an awesome idea and gave her a pretty good bonus to succeed. I figured the Beholder wouldn't be able to use his Bite or Main Eye against her on his back, so she actually managed to tear off the Sleep Ray and Death Ray eye stalks, and even after the Beholder headbutted her into a stone pillar she managed to hang on (despite taking damage), before being hit by a Hold Ray and falling down.

After a couple campaigns didn't go past heroic, I'm glad that we've decided to start this one in Paragon, lots of fun stuff and great monsters! 

I am really thinking that Improvisational rules should have a very explicit comment that anything which is situational aka not spammable but is class appropriate needs to be starting off looked at being Encounter Strength or Daily Strength. They can have the meat of visuals based on at-will effects only buffed up ... 

Each of my players and creatures has an extra encounter power:

Do Something Cool

"That was pretty darn cool."

Encounter        Various Keywords
Various Actions

Target: Varies

Trigger: Someone at the table has a cool idea.

Effect: Everyone at the table helps to figure out how to implement this idea. The implementation may be automatic, or may require one or more additional actions or skill checks, or may be a skill challenge.

Special: This power recharges whenever anyone has a cool idea.

I say "Yes, and..." to everything I can, which turns out to be most things. This frees me up from having to consult the rules during play and generally makes my players feel like I trust them and won't embarrass them by shutting down their ideas. I tend to err on the side of not calling for checks for cool ideas, unless both success or failure would be interesting. If I'm not sure how to make success or failure interesting, I will ask the players. If they're not sure either, then there's no check, it just works.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.