Options for Everyone - Racial Features

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
(EDIT: Now available for download here as a .doc)

Well, I must admit that I'm a little bitter that Mr. Perkins didn't like my article idea, especially given his reasoning, but I'm not going to let all of this work go to waste, so I decided I would post it here. Tongue Out

The premise of this could-have-been-article is simple: What if we had more alternative racial feature options the same way that we have so many alternative class feature options? Yes, we have the option to customize our races through other mechanics such as feats, paragon paths, backgrounds, and so on, but the actual racial trait block itself hasn't seen much innovation other than the introduction of flexible ability score options. Having variant racial feature options allows us to cram a lot more flavor into a race and also allows us to get away with having more class- or role-specific features as long as those features have more general alternatives. As this is now a thread and not an article, I'm cutting out all of my fluff-talk and just going right into design decisions.

I selected very carefully what races I would create alternate features for. I would not create alternate features for any races that already had racial feature options. The only exception would be for cases where there were particular racial features that pigeon-holed the race too much without alternative options. The goal also isn't to add any new information to a race, so in the vast majority of cases, the new racial features presented do not reflect subrace but rather just an alternative interpretation of the default version of the race.

Well, I guess I might as well get right to it then! Feel free to steal any of these ideas or tell me what you think or PEACH or whatever. Smile

CHANGELING
The Changeling was the first subject that I tackled. I've long felt that its racial Will bonus was a wasted opportunity to introduce some really cool any unique features, so I gave it some of those features as an alternative. Next, its racial power was one that I did not like at all because it was too melee-centric, so I give it an alternative racial power option that called to mind the days when doppelgangers could read minds.

Worldly-Wise: Select either Cosmopolitan or Mental Defense:
Cosmopolitan: You learn 2 additional languages of your choice, and you gain a +3 bonus to Insight checks made to see through disguises. Illusion effects and Polymorph effects do not grant other creatures a bonus to their Bluff checks versus your Insight checks.
Changeling Charm: Select either Changeling Psych or Changeling Trick:
Changeling Psych: You have the Changeling Psych power.

Changeling Psych
You can read actions and motives so proficiently that many would swear you can read minds.
Encounter
Minor Action, Close burst 10
Target: One creature in the burst.
Effect: The target cannot gain combat advantage against you as long as you can take actions, and you gain a +4 power bonus to Insight checks and Perception checks against the target. The effects of this power last until the end of your next turn.

DEVA
I often hold the deva up as one of 4E's most well-designed races. Beause of those, I didn't really feel like I needed to "fix" anything, and I could really get to playing around with the idea of adding in alternative racial feature options as something other than a necessity. After deciding that I wanted Astral Resistance to be a constant, I went with providing alternative to Astral Majesty.

Astral Brilliance: Select Astral Justice, Astral Majesty, or Astral Utterance:
Astral Justice:
When an enemy that you can see makes an attack that has combat advantage against an ally that you can see, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against that enemy until the end of your next turn.
Astral Utterance:
You gain a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks, and you learn the Supernal language. When you speak Supernal, listeners who don't speak Supernal understand your words as if you used their own languages. You can choose to disguise your speech, but in general Supernal is a universally understood language.

DRAGONBORN
Dragonborn are already a very well supported race, and they were among the first race to receive official alternative racial options, in the form of the Dragonfear power that could be selected in place of Dragon Breath, so I really didn't want to touch them. However, the more I thought about it, I just couldn't deny that they needed an alternative to their CON-centric Draconic Heritage, and INT- or WIS-primary characters still don't have a viable racial power. I had a hard time thinking of a good racial power, but there is one thing that people have been wanting Dragonborn to do since the very beginning: Fly. From there, I challenged myself to create a balanced racial power that would still be useful even if characters later obtained genuine flight.

Draconic: Select either Draconic Ancestry or Draconic Heritage:
Draconic Ancestry:
Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. You gain resist 5 to that damage type. This resistance increases to 10 at 11th level and to 15 at 21st level. If you choose the Dragon Breath racial power, then you must choose the same damage type for this feature as you do for that power.
Dragonborn Racial Power: Select Dragon Breath, Dragonfear, or Dragon Flight:
Dragon Flight:
You have the Dragon Flight power.

Dragon Flight
You unfurl your leathery wings and take to the sky to deliver your next attack.
Encounter
Standard Action, Personal
Effect: You can fly a number of squares equal to your speed and then use a standard action at-will attack power. After the attack, if you didn't end the flight on solid ground, then you descend to the ground slowly without taking falling damage.
Special: When you fall, you can expend this power as a free action. If you do, then you take no damage from the fall.

DWARF
Again, we have a very well supported race here, and the Dwarf is even one of the few races to have already gotten subraces. There's only one little thing about it that's always bugged me: Encumbered Speed. It's so useless to so many classes, those that don't wear heavy armor anyway, so I took a page from my Genasi playbook...

Steadfast: Select either Encumbered Speed or Unhindered Speed:
Unhindered Speed:
When you are slowed, your speed becomes 3 instead of 2, and you can still benefit from bonuses to speed. Carrying a heavy load does not cause you to be slowed.

GITHZERAI
Finally, another race like the Deva! I really got to do whatever I wanted for this one, so I experimented with a new idea: What if there were racial features that could modify racial powers? I always thought that the Githzerai racial power was a little bit "meh", so I could use this opportunity to beef it up a bit...

Githzerai Mettle: Select either Defended Mind or Inner Focus:
Inner Focus:
Being dazed, stunned, or surprised does not cause you to grant combat advantage.
Transcendent Grace: Select either Mercurial Flow or Shifting Fortunes:
Mercurial Flow:
You can use your Iron Mind power as a minor action with no trigger. If you use the power as a minor action, then you can also shift 1 square.

GNOLL
The poor, poor Gnoll, redheaded stepchild of playable races. You're about as badly designed as the Minotaur is (though I never really fixed you before because I don't even like you as much), and you didn't even get flexible ability score options! Your existance really is quite sad, but I will not ignore you in this thread! Here are your new toys:

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity and either +2 Strength or +2 Constitution
Pack Instinct: Select either Pack Attack or Pack Hunt:
Pack Hunt:
You gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against any enemy that grants combat advantage to at least two of your allies but not to you.
Ferocious Attack: Select either Ferocious Charge or Ferocious Counter:
Ferocious Counter:
You have the Ferocious Counter power.

Ferocious Counter
Instead of recoiling from your foe's attack, you recklessly lash out to exact your revenge.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction, Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack.
Effect: You use a standard action at-will attack power. You must target the triggering enemy with the attack. If you are bloodied, then you can shift one square either before or after using the attack power.

GNOME
Unfortunately, fixing Small size is just not something that this is meant to do. What I can do, however, is offer a new option for how you can use that racial power, especially useful for character not that great at Stealth. The Ghost Sound alternative may be a bit lazy, but I think that Pretidigitation fits the Gnome very well.

Defense Mechanism: Select either Proactive Stealth or Reactive Stealth:
Proactive Stealth:
You can use your Fade Away power as a minor action with no trigger. If you use the power as a minor action, then you can remain invisible only until the end of your turn, rather than until the end of your next turn.
Mischievous: Select either Master Prankster or Master Trickster:
Master Prankster:
Once per encounter, you can use the wizard cantrip Prestidigitation as a minor action.

GOLIATH
There were a few races that actually gave me a lot of trouble, and this one one of them. Powerful Athelete is basically two different features, so how do I work with that? The results aren't as exciting as a like, but they do include my first realization that when a race gets alternative feature options giving it new features exclusively useful to only some classes and roles is totally okay.

Powerful Build: Select Powerful Athlete, Powerful Grip, or Powerful Stride:
Powerful Grip:
Creatures take a -2 penalty to checks made to escape your grab. When you make an Athletics check to climb, roll twice and use either result.
Powerful Stride:
You ignore difficult terrain when you run. When you make an Athletics check to jump, roll twice and use either result.

HALFLING
This was the other race that gave me a surprising amount of trouble. I've always thought that Bold was sort of a "meh" feature, so I knew from the beginning that I wanted to give alternative options to it, but it was surprisingly difficult to figure out what. I ended up settling for one rather standard feature and another that I'm not totally sure about. It's hard to say that I'm totally happy with this one, but options are still better than no options.

Halfling Courage: Select either Bold, Daring, or Defiant:
Daring:
When your use of a power provokes an opportunity attack from one of that power's targets, and you have combat advantage against that target, that opportunity attack takes place after you finish your action rather then before.
Defiant:
You can attempt to escape as a minor action, rather than as a move action.

HALF-ORC
It's funny, the three races that game me the most trouble are all clumped together here. Swift Charge was, of course, the target of my hatred here, but coming up for alternative for it was actually surprisingly hard, considering that I didn't want to add anything that would be redundant with the Half-Orc's other features. I'm actually pretty content with how this one turned out, though.

Savage Aspect: Select Feral Heart, Swift Charge, or Vicious Critical:
Feral Heart:
You gain a +4 racial bonus on Perception checks made to find tracks and Nature checks made to calm or train animals.
Vicious Critical:
When you score a critical hit against a creature, you can make an intimidate check against that creature as a minor action, instead of as a standard action, until the end of your turn.

KALASHTAR
I've long thought that the Kalashtar racial power wasn't very good because of how limited in use it one. It's just not going to come up in too many encounters. The challenge was to craft a power similar in flavor and balanced in mechanics but also more generally useful.

Battle of the Minds: Select either Bastion of Mental Clarity or Siege of Mental Fog:
Siege of Mental Fog:
You have the Siege of Mental Fog power.

Seige of Mental Fog
You project an obscuring cloud into the minds of your enemies, concealing yourself and your allies.
Encounter
Free Action, Close burst 5
Trigger: An enemy hits or misses you with an opportunity attack.
Target: Each enemy in the burst.
Effect: The target takes a -4 penalty to hit with opportunity attacks until the end of your next turn.

MINOTAUR
The Minotaur! A lot of you already know how much I love this race but hate how poorly it was designed. Well, here it is. Here are the alternative racial feature that I would give Minotaurs to make them more generally useful. This doesn't mean that I would give them these features instead of the ones that they have now. Rather, I think that these features complement the existing features in terms of the Minotaur's flavor, its struggle between civilization and savagery.

Inner Struggle: Select either Labyrinth Cunning or both Ferocity and Heedless Charge:
Labyrinth Cunning:
You gain a +4 bonus to all checks made to navigate or avoid becoming lost.
Also, being unable to see a creature does not cause you to grant combat advantage to it.
Minotaur Power: Select either Goring Charge or Uncanny Guard:
Uncanny Guard:
You have the Uncanny Guard power.

Uncanny Guard
A brief moment of vulnerability is negated thanks to your superior senses and innate cunning.
Encounter
Immediate Interrupt, Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
Effect: You do not grant combat advantage to the attack, and you gain an additional +3 bonus to your defenses against the attack.
Special: You can use this power even if surprised.

SHADAR-KAI
Not very much to work with here, considering that the race is pretty light on features, but I did have a cool idea for its racial power, an idea which I admittedly ripped the mechanics off from one of my earlier projects. Do you know which one?

Umbral Soul: Select either Shadow Jaunt or Shadow Reach:
Shadow Reach: You have the Shadow Reach power.

Shadow Reach
Your shadow is your greatest ally, always by your side and often able to reach what you cannot.
Encounter
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your turn, you can treat creatures and objects up to two squares away from you as though they were adjacent to you, and the ranges of your melee and ranged powers increase by one.

THRI-KREEN
I actually really like this race. It's just a shame that the power is so melee-centric and that so many characters will still be unable to find a good ability score to use with it. No problem, this is a perfect opportunity to bring back the Thri-Kreen racial poison from earlier editions and to try my hand at creating the rare move-action attack power.

Thri-Kreen Attack: Select either Thri-Kreen Bite or Thri-Kreen Claws:
Thri-Kreen Bite:
You have the Thri-Kreen Bite power.

Thri-Kreen Bite
You leap at your enemy and inject it with a paralyzing neurotoxin before springing away.
Encounter * Poison
Move Action, Melee 1
Effect: You can jump 2 squares both before and after the attack. These movements do not provoke opportunity attacks.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Highest ability score +3 vs. Fortitude
Level 11: Highest ability score +6 vs. Fortitude
Level 21: Highest ability score +9 vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is slowed and takes a -2 penalty to Reflex defense until the end of your next turn.

TIEFLING
The Tiefling racial power already went through one revision when the developers realized it was so underpowered, but they still tied it to only a few ability scores, so its utility is tragically diminished for a lot of characters. I went with giving the race another sin to pick from. I almost went all-out and created a new power for each sin, but I decided too cool it for now. Maybe in the future...

Infernal Vice: Select either Infernal Pride or Infernal Wrath:
Infernal Pride: You have the Infernal Pride power.

Infernal Pride
The fires of your spite will bring your foe to its knees, as though to bow before you.
Encounter * Fire
Free Action, Close burst 5
Trigger: During your turn, you miss an enemy with an attack, and you would not otherwise still deal damage to that enemy on the miss.
Target: The triggering enemy in the burst.
Effect: The target takes fire damage equal to your highest ability score modifier and is also knocked prone.

WARFORGED
This is another one of those races that I just have nothing to complain about. It really is amazingly well designed! I got to have some fun with this one, so I played around with alternatives to Warforged Resilience. I know that many people would be sad to see the auto-success on death saves go, but that's a very game-specific sort of feature. In some styles of games, it's just not going to come up very often, so here are some flavorful alternatives.

Forged: Select Warforged Armor, Warforged Fortification, or Warforged Resilience:
Warforged Armor: Combat advantage does not grant a bonus to attack rolls versus your Fortitude defense.
Also, you take only a -2 penalty, rather than a -5 penalty, to Armor Class and Fortitude defense for being unconscious.
Warforged Fortification:
When an attack would score a critical hit against you, you can make a saving throw to turn it into a normal hit.
Also, a coup de grace cannot slay you outright by dealing damage to you greater than or equal to your bloodied value.

(This thread is cross-posted in Races, as is my usual practice for homebrewed racial material)

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
so, basically, you submitted an article with material like unto the subraces found in Neverwinter (Sun Elf, Moon Elf, Wood Elf, Wild Elf, Gold Dwarf, Shield Dwarf), but the article was rejected?

It looks to me that what you should consider is not just alternate racial features and/or racial powers, but instead, form the ideas into subrace format with the fluff to place it in a setting. You can split this content into several articles too.

Otherwise, I'm still kinda thinking through some of the content you've presented; I'll have other (hopefully more constructive) comments later.
Personally, I find this to be a simple and elegant way to fix a lot of my own irritations with the official 4e races. I second the idea of reformatting and trying again, because I would love this to become official. Not sure what the given reason for rejecting it is, but this is really some great stuff you have here.
It looks to me that what you should consider is not just alternate racial features and/or racial powers, but instead, form the ideas into subrace format with the fluff to place it in a setting. You can split this content into several articles too.

That's not the reason the article was rejected. Perkins isn't interested in the idea of more racial support right now because recently "we’ve given our most popular races additional support in the form of three articles presenting optional racial utility powers". He went on to specify that giving these races more versatile racial feature options doesn't "seem necessary", singling out the Changeling as an example.

. . . I'm trying not to be overly bitter, but I don't know what exactly he's thinking if he thinks that just giving more and more support to Eladrin and Elves over and over again eliminates the needs of races like the Changeling and Minotaur for some support of their own.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
It sounds like all they want is racial utility powers, not racial feature alternatives.

Then again, it may come down to not wanting to spend time or page count on anything that doesn't fit the 'retro' motif that seems to dominate nowadays.
. . . I'm trying not to be overly bitter, but I don't know what exactly he's thinking if he thinks that just giving more and more support to Eladrin and Elves over and over again eliminates the needs of races like the Changeling and Minotaur for some support of their own.

He's thinking what seems currently prevalent in the Wizards - that they can keep hammering out the same stuff, the most popular one, and never ever go back to anything new or innovative (which is pretty contrary to them ever doing 4e and all it's wonderful, new stuff). I don't know if they're afraid of risk, or regret giving people more varied options in this edition, but this seems in line with us getting Forgotten Realms this year again for the setting.

Your options themselves, would be cool to have those, but given they're just here in a thread, I don't think many people would end up using them.
Check out my D&D-based play-by-post game, based on exploration and roleplaying. Agora
Your options themselves, would be cool to have those, but given they're just here in a thread, I don't think many people would end up using them.

As a regular on the homebrew board, I came to terms a long time ago with the fact that few if any people use what they find here. However, I didn't put so much time into thinking of these to not show them off. If nothing else, if people think that they're interesting and balanced, then I'll at least make them regular in my own games.

Neutronium_Dragon, I wrote a long reply to your PM to me further explaining the premise of article, but I lost the reply because apparently you don't accept PMs from anybody other than your friends.

I am saddened by Perkins' response
I am saddened by Perkins' response

As am I. Then again, you posting this stuff here lets me use it without having to worry about a DDI subscription. I'm definitely stealing this stuff for my own games.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

I like a lot of your ideas and wish it would've gotten the green light.  However, just one thing that jumped out at me:

KALASHTAR
Seige of Mental Fog
Immediate Interrupt, Close burst 5

Given that it's most likely you will be provoking on your turn, and you can't take immediates on your own turn, this ability won't work correctly.

I like a lot of your ideas and wish it would've gotten the green light.  However, just one thing that jumped out at me:

KALASHTAR
Seige of Mental Fog
Immediate Interrupt, Close burst 5

Given that it's most likely you will be provoking on your turn, and you can't take immediates on your own turn, this ability won't work correctly.

. . . You know, I've been working and reworking on all of these features for months, and I've had a lot of my friends look at them in that time, and I cannot believe that none of us noticed that. You are absolutely correct; the power would need to be a free action to function. I will change this immediately. Good catch!

We don't always agree, you and I, but you'll always be a homebrewing genius to me.

Can we have this as a .doc or .docx. It would sit wonderfully in my "4e homebrewes worth using"-folder ^^ 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Very glad you like it. ^_^
As for getting it as a .doc, wish granted.

Speaking of under-appreciated races, is there a hombrewed set of feats for the Kobold? I might by playing a Marauder Ranger for my next game. He's actually an elf that got turned into a kobold by an evil (content removed) WITCH, and now seeks a way to break the curse.

I really like the racial power, but feel like he would feel mutch better after recieving some of your love ;)

ORC_Jubjub: Edited-Inappropriate Content is against the Code of Conduct

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
I get the desire for PC Kobold support, but they aren't something that ever I worked on very much myself, sorry. Besides, you probably wouldn't like my version anyway, as I would remove Shifty or at least alter it significantly. Actually, I'm pretty sure I posted up a PC re-write of them in a thread somewhere; let me see if I can find it...

+2 DEX and either +2 CON or +2 CHA
Small Size
6 Square Speed
Low-Light Vision

Common, Draconic
+2 Stealth, +2 Thievery
Shifty: Whenever you shift, you gain a +1 racial bonus to your Armor Class, Reflex Defense, and all saving throws until the beginning of your next turn. This bonus applies only once, regardless of the number of times that you shift before the beginning of your next turn.
Trap Sense: You gain a +2 bonus to defenses against traps.

Skitter and Scamper (Kobold Racial Power)
Encounter
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your turn, your enemies cannot target you with their free action, immediate action, or opportunity action attacks.

Though, nowadays I might rethink Trap Sense, as that seems like much more of a cultural feature, which I very much tend to dislike on PC races.

Might also wanna consider setting it up so Int is one of the possible bonuses as well. 
I get the desire for PC Kobold support, but they aren't something that ever I worked on very much myself, sorry. Besides, you probably wouldn't like my version anyway, as I would remove Shifty or at least alter it significantly. Actually, I'm pretty sure I posted up a PC re-write of them in a thread somewhere; let me see if I can find it...

+2 DEX and either +2 CON or +2 CHA
Small Size
6 Square Speed
Low-Light Vision

Common, Draconic
+2 Stealth, +2 Thievery
Shifty: Whenever you shift, you gain a +1 racial bonus to your Armor Class, Reflex Defense, and all saving throws until the beginning of your next turn. This bonus applies only once, regardless of the number of times that you shift before the beginning of your next turn.
Trap Sense: You gain a +2 bonus to defenses against traps.

Skitter and Scamper (Kobold Racial Power)
Encounter
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your turn, your enemies cannot target you with their free action, immediate action, or opportunity action attacks.

Though, nowadays I might rethink Trap Sense, as that seems like much more of a cultural feature, which I very much tend to dislike on PC races.

Trap sense seems like an expression of their twitchy jumpy nature, not their living in dungeons culture (which is weird anyway). they're small, quick, nimble and have good reflexes, so things like traps are threats they are ideally suited to get past. :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Wow.  Apparently, Megaupload.com has been taken down.  Can you host the offline version on Google Docs or something?
Wish granted! I even added in some artwork just to make it look prettier.