[help me] design a ranged damage dealing halfling ranger...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys !

I'm introducing friends to DD4 (and to RPG in general), and created characters for them.
In particular, I created a Halfling sniper, using covers and hiding in general to get combat advatage, and deal his 2d6 bonus damage.

During the game, I found out that the hidden sniper concept is not that simple to understand for a first character, so I'm refflufing the character "a bit" :
I think i'll make him a ranger, to avoid the "staying hidden for combat advantage" thing, and simply use the "this one is my quarry" thing.

However, not to change the whole character, he's staying an Halfling ranged damage dealer, not using bow. He was using sling, but i'm ok about boomrangs, Dejada, and other ranged weapons coming from weird regions.
The player was often worryingabout getting close to ennemies and about the fact that they could hurt her character, wo i'm thinking about Bolas as a second weapon (but it needs a feat from DM368).

The character is only level1, and I'm not using official backgrounds and themes from the books (so I'd like to avoid using bonuses from these, but I'm ok about using the "Talenta warrior" feat, ignoring the background requirement).

As for now, I think an Hunter Ranger would fit the role, and am looking for a moving at-will which is not charge (for the moving attack bonus), and hesitate about the feat (Talenta warrior, Bola Training, another one ?)...
I also think an hybrid rogue/ranger could make it, but don't know which hybrid talent would be the more appropriate ...

Any thoughts ?
Hey guys !

I'm introducing friends to DD4 (and to RPG in general), and created characters for them.
In particular, I created a Halfling sniper, using covers and hiding in general to get combat advatage, and deal his 2d6 bonus damage.

During the game, I found out that the hidden sniper concept is not that simple to understand for a first character, so I'm refflufing the character "a bit" :
I think i'll make him a ranger, to avoid the "staying hidden for combat advantage" thing, and simply use the "this one is my quarry" thing.

However, not to change the whole character, he's staying an Halfling ranged damage dealer, not using bow. He was using sling, but i'm ok about boomrangs, Dejada, and other ranged weapons coming from weird regions.
The player was often worryingabout getting close to ennemies and about the fact that they could hurt her character, wo i'm thinking about Bolas as a second weapon (but it needs a feat from DM368).

The character is only level1, and I'm not using official backgrounds and themes from the books (so I'd like to avoid using bonuses from these, but I'm ok about using the "Talenta warrior" feat, ignoring the background requirement).

As for now, I think an Hunter Ranger would fit the role, and am looking for a moving at-will which is not charge (for the moving attack bonus), and hesitate about the feat (Talenta warrior, Bola Training, another one ?)...
I also think an hybrid rogue/ranger could make it, but don't know which hybrid talent would be the more appropriate ...

Any thoughts ?

If you want simple Hybrid anything is not it.

For a halfling ranged striker, the easiest thing in the world (to the point some say boring) is halfling thief with tactical trick  and the cunning stalker feat. And take whatever weapon feats you want. You'll have CA 90% percent of the time, so you get to constantly use sneak attack.

The only time you won't be able to get combat advantage is when your enemy is adjacent to one of his allies, but not adjacent to one of your allies.

If you want to stick with ranger, halfling short bow hunter is a great feat.
^do that.  and fey best tamer (owlbear).  and close-combat shooting package.  and ride the owlbear and shoot stuff in the face.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Halflings do have access to a feat to give shortbows 20/40 range and brutal 2. It's nice to have brutal 2.
Is it possible to get something viable (even if not optimized), sticking with slings, boomrangs, Dejada, and bolas ?

I mean, between ranger's and rogue's options, I don't find many valuable things that can use their potential ...

Also, I find the Essentials being more a 4.5e, totally game-changing thing ... isn't it ?
Essentials is not 4.5e. It is more 4e content with some rules updates. They took a different approach, but all of the content works fine in a "regular" 4e game. It is in no way "totally game-changing."

Just make him a Halfling Sling Rogue Thief. Take the Deadeye Slinger PP and the Sling related feats. You'll want to have a Radiant Sling so you can actually get an item bonus to damage.

If you meant to imply that Rogues and Rangers don't function well with Slings compared to other options, it is because no one does. Slings are not a particularly good weapon. But the above should achieve striker benchmarks and he'll be a Halfing with a sling.