4eifying races from the WoW D20 RPG

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
As everyone knows, 4e attracted a lot of negative comparisons to World of Warcraft when it came out, and it continues to do so until this day. Having managed to get my hands on a copy of "World of Warcraft: The RPG", a tabletop RPG version of the setting using the D20 rules produced by White Wolf under their "Sword & Sorcery Studios" lable, it has just been tickling me to try and poke my nose at all those comparisons by actually converting 4e classic style versions of the various WoWarcraft races, using their official D20 writeups.

The thing is, I don't have any idea how to make a balanced 4e race, so I was wondering if I could get anyone to give me a hand with doing this?

I will, of course, post up the D20 profiles here if there's any interest in this.

Edit: Due to suggestions by Rampant, I will now post the latest versions of the 4e profiles here. Pretty much all of these were suggested by NB_NMare, and he was of the opinion that most/all of the Alliance races would work better as sub-races of existing 4e races. In fact, Rampant was the only one besides NB_Nmare to give a profile; he did the Troll, below.

Troll
"Cho' call, mon?"

Average Height: 7'
Average Weight: 200 pounds
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution or Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Lowlight 
Languages: Common and Low Common (in a generic 4e game, this would be replaced with Giant, the generic language shared by bestial demihumans such as Orcs, Trolls and Goblins).
Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature

Troll Healing: Your healing surge value increases to 1/4th your max hp + 3. At level 11 your healing surge value increases to 1/4th your max hp + 6, and to 1/4th your max hp + 9 at level 21.

Crafty Hunter: Targets you have combat advantage against do not benefit from partial cover.

Troll Frenzy: You have the Troll Frenzy racial encounter power.

Troll Frenzy                        Troll Racial Power
"When your body is weakened adrenaline kicks you into overdrive."
Racial, Encounter, Healing
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: You are Bloodied by an attack
Effect: You immediately spend a healing surge to regain HP, and may make an at-will attack.

Goblin

Average Height: 2' 10" - 3'2"
Average Weight: 30 - 50 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution or +2 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Goblin, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Perception

Arcane Curiousity: You gain training in the Arcana skill. If you already have training in this skill, you instead gain +2 bonus to Arcana checks.

Better Living Through Chemistry: You gain Alchemist as a bonus feat, and you master two formulas of your choice. The formulas you choose must be of your level or lower.

Goblin Wiliness: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Will.

Rocket Technology: Once per encounter, you can use either the rocket barrage power or the rocket jump power.

Rocket Barrage | Goblin Attack
Encounter * Fire
Minor Action | Close burst 10
Target: One creature in the burst
Attack: Intelligence, Constitution, or Dexterity +3 (6 at 11th level and 9 at 21st level) vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 3 fire damage (save ends).
    Level 11: 2d8 + Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 6 fire damage (save ends).
    Level 21: 3d8 + Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 9 fire damage (save ends).

Rocket Jump | Goblin Utility
Encounter
Move Action | Personal
Effect: You jump 10 squares. You can divide these squares however you like between horizontal distance and vertical distance.

Ironforge Dwarf

Cold Resistance
    Benefit: You have resistance to cold damage equal to 5 + one-half your level. This benefit replaces Cast-Iron Stomach.

Ironforge Weapon Training
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with the mace and the morningstar and, when you wield one of these weapons, its weapon damage die increases by one size. This benefit replaces Dwarven Weapon Proficiency.

Stonefleash
    Benefit: You gain the stoneflesh power. This benefit replaces dwarven resilience.

Stoneflesh | Dwarf Racial Utility
Encounter
Minor Action | Personal
Benefit: You gain a bonus to AC until the end of your next turn. The bonus is equal to the highest of your Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom modifiers.

Blood Elf (Eladrin)

Arcane Affinity
    Benefit: You gain training in Arcana. If you already have training in this skill, you instead gain a +2 bonus to Arcana checks. You also gain the Ritual Caster feat, and master two rituals of your choice. These benefits replace Eladrin Education and Eladrin Weapon Proficiency.

Elusive
    Benefit: You gain a +2 racial bonus to all defenses against area and close attacks. This benefit replaces Eladrin Will.

High Elf (Eladrin)

High Elf Weapon Proficiency
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with the longbow and the shortbow. This benefit replaces Eladrin Education.

Night Elf

Elusiveness
    Benefit: You gain training in Stealth. If you already have training in this skill, you instead gain a +2 bonus to Stealth checks.This benefit replaces Group Awareness.

Night Elf Weapon Proficiency
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with the scimitar, the double scimitar, and the Xen'drik boomerang*. This benefit replaces Elf Weapon Proficiency.

* Refluff these to the moonsword, the warglaive, and the moonglaive respectively.

Shadowmeld
Benefit: You gain the shadowmeld power. This benefit replaces elven accuracy.

Shadowmeld | Elf Racial Utility
Encounter
Minor Action | Personal
Benefit: You gain total concealment until the end of your next turn, and can make a Stealth check to hide as a free action.

Tinker Gnome

Escape Artist
    Benefit: You gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against effects causing the immobilized, restrained, or slowed conditions. This benefit replaces Trickster's Cunning.

Tinker Gnome Ability Scores
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to Intelligence and either Dexterity or Wisdom. This benefit replaces the normal gnome to Intelligence and either Dexterity or Charisma.

Tinker Gnome Skill Bonus
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to Perception checks. This benefit replaces the normal gnome bonus to Stealth.

Tinker Gnome Weapon Proficiency
    Benefit: You gain proficiency with the dagger, the rapier, the short sword, and the sickle. This benefit replaces Master Trickster.

Tauren

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom; +2 Strength or +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, Giant
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature

Hearty: You gain either Durable, Swift Recovery, or Toughness as a bonus feat.

Nature Resistance:
 You have resistance to lightning damage and poison damage equal to 5 + one-half your level.

War Stomp: You have the war stomp power.

War Stomp | Tauren Racial Utility
Encounter
Minor Action | Close burst 1
Target: Each enemy in the burst that is touching the ground
Attack: Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +3 vs. Fortitude
    Level 11: Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +6 vs. Fortitude
    Level 21: Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +9 vs. Fortitude
Effect: You push the target 1 square and knock it prone.

Azerothi Human

Azerothi Human Skill Bonus
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Perception. This benefit replaces Bonus Skill.

Azerothi Human Weapon Specialization
    Benefit: Choose heavy blades and light blades, or hammers and maces. You gain proficiency with all simple and military weapons of the chosen types, and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with these weapons. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level. This benefit replaces Bonus Feat.

Courageous
    Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Will and your choice of either Fortitude or Reflex. You also gain a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against fear effects. This benefit replaces Human Defense Bonus.

Every Man for Himself
    Benefit: You the every man for himself power. This benefit replaces either Human Bonus At-Will Power or heroic effort.

Every Man for Himself | Human Utility
Encouter
Minor Action | Personal 
Trigger: You start your turn
Effect: You end any dazed, dominated, immobilized, restrained, or slowed condition currently affecting you that can be ended by a saving throw.

Forsaken

Ability Scores: +2 Strength; +2 Intelligence or +2 Charisma
Speed: 6 squares

Languages: Common, choice of on other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Perception

Death's Blessing: You are an undead creature. You don't need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. You never have to make Endurance checks to resist the effects of starvation, thirst, or suffocation. All other conditions and effects affect you normally, and you still require 6 hours to gain the benefits of an extended rest.

Reaper's Resistance: You have resistance to necrotic damage equal to 5 + one-half your level.

Unnatural Vitality: When you drop to 0 hit points or fewer and are subjected to the dying condition, you can choose to be dazed, instead of falling unconscious. You make death saving throws as normal, and if you fail one, you fall unconscious instead of being dazed.

Ardor of Death: You have the ardor of death power.

Ardor of Death | Forsaken Racial Utility
Encounter
Free Action
Trigger: You are subject to an condition that a save could end.
Effect: The triggering condition immediately ends.
Special: If you are subject to more than one condition that a save could end, this power can only end one of those conditions.

Feats

Here's a couple of feats which should allow a forsaken character to better emulate the 3E race. I would also allow forsaken to take certain revenant feats that don't require/affect dark reaping or Past Life, such as Death Scorned, Death's Quickening, Eerie Resurgence, Fierce Vitality, Ghostly Vitality, Resilience of Death, and Unnatural Vitality.

Reposed Mind
    Prerequisite: Forsaken
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against charm, fear, illusion, and sleep effects.

Unholy Vigor
    Prerequisites: Forsaken
    Benefit: At the end of each extended rest, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 5 + one-half your level.

Orc

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution; +2 Strength or +2 Wisdom
Vision: Low-light

Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Nature

Blood Fury: While you're bloodied, you gain a +2 racial bonus to damage rolls. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

Hardiness: You have a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against effects that daze or stun.

Natural Ferocity: You gain training in the Intimidate skill.

Battle Rage: You have the battle rage power.

Battle Rage | Orc Racial Utility
Encounter
Minor Action
Effect: The next attack you make before the end of your next turn deals 1d6 + your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom modifier extra damage on a hit.
    Level 11: 2d6 + your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom modifier extra damage.
    Level 21: 3d6 + your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom modifier extra damage.

Feats

Focused Rage
    Prerequisite: Orc, battle rage power

Benefit: When you use battle rage, you also gain a +2 bonus to the next attack roll you make before the end of your next turn.

Orcish Command
    Prerequisite: Orc
    Benefit: Whenever you use a class feature, power, or feat that allows an ally to make an attack, that attack deals 2 extra damage. 

Vigorous Rage
    Prerequisite:
 Orc, battle rage power
    Benefit:
 When you use battle rage, you can spend a healing surge as a free action.

major points to cover

1. Use branched ability bonuses, +2 to a stat, and then choose one of two others for a second +2 bonus.
2. Racial encounter powers that require an attack get +3/+6/+9 to the roll (+2 more for attacks on AC).
3. No large, tiny, or unlimited flight races (there a race in the feywild book for 4e that claims to solve some of these issues but I'm not quite convinced).
4. Small creatures have to be pretty boss to make up for being small.
5. The racial powers and features should be at least mildly useful to most any character, and the power especially has to be something you'd consider using in almost any fight. This generally means no weapon powers.

Thank you for providing that list, Rampant, I have a feeling that could be helpful.

So... should I provide a race that is similar yet different to an existing 4e one for the first try? Or should I offer up a WoW race that has no existant 4e equivalent? Hmm... I think we'll try the Troll (though Forest and Jungle Trolls have seperate racial "entries", the former in the Horde Player's Guide, the latter in the corebook, they use the exact same racial profile/rules) first, because it's a fairly simple race.

Just to be sure there's no confusion, when they updated from the Warcraft RPG to the World of Warcraft RPG, they made a few unique tweaks, including renaming the D20 sextet of stats to (I think) the same six as in the MMO (Strength, Agility, Stamina, Intellect, Spirit, Charisma) and borrowing the concept of racial levels from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed sourcebook to try and make inherently more powerful races more balanced to play. The Troll is one of those races that has racial levels.

WoWarcraft D20 Jungle/Forest Troll: Racial Profile
* +2 Agility, -2 Intellect, -2 Charisma
* Medium
* Low-Light Vision
* Rapid Healing: Trolls regain hitpoints by resting at twice the normal pace
* +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with thrown weapons
* +2 racial bonus to Survival rolls and Survival is always a class skill
* +2 racial bonus to Jump & Tumble rolls and Jump & Tumble is always a class skill
* Race Levels
* Favored Class: Barbarian

WoWarcraft D20 Jungle/Forest Troll: Racial Class
Level 1: Base Attack Bonus +1, Fort Save +2, Ref Save +2, Will Save +0, +1 Stamina, Improved Rapid Healing
Level 2: Base Attack Bonus +2, Fort Save +3, Ref Save +3, Will Save +0, +1 Agility, Fast Healing 1
Level 3: Base Attack Bonus +3, Fort Save +3, Ref Save +3, Will Save +1, +1 Stamina, Troll Healing

Improved Rapid Healing: This replaces the Rapid Healing racial trait. The Troll now recovers hit points equal to his Stamina modifier every hour.

Fast Healing 1: This replaces the Improved Rapid Healing racial trait.

Troll Healing: The Troll gains Fast Healing equal to half his Stamina modifier rounded down, to a minimum of 1. This replaces the Fast Healing 1 racial trait.

So, looking this over, the following rudimentary thoughts occur to me as to what a 4th edition version of the WoW Troll would look like: what are your opinions on what this race might look like in 4e?

* +2 Constitution or Wisdom, +2 Dexterity
* Medium
* Movement 6 squares
* Skill Bonuses: Acrobatics and Nature
* Troll Healing: I think that this would probably be identical to the 3.5 feature, but I'm unsure if Fast Healing still exists in 4e.
* Troll Racial Weapon proficiency: Trolls are automatically proficient in either Spears or Axes
* Trollish Stamina: Trolls have more healing surges than other races do.
* Racial Encounter Power: Trollish Vitality. Spend a healing surge to gain a considerable boost to health
Regarding Troll Healing, perhaps you could say something along the lines of "After a short rest, you regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier. These hit points are in addition to any gained from healing surges spent at the end of the rest".
Hmm... that could work. Perhaps the Troll racial power is the ability to spend a healing surge to gain Regeneration equal to their Con modifier halved and rounded down until encounter's end?
Regeneration while bloodied is much easier to justify, in my opinion. Look at the Shifter's ecounter ability. That might help.

Um, since you don't have a write up yet, you could start with this:

Average Height:
Average Weight:

Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Con or Wis

Languages: Common and ?
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics and Nature

Troll Regeneration encounter power
(Typically a race would have a few racial features, but 1/encounter regeneration is quite a boon. The Shifter's ability is his one and only racial feature.
True, but the Shifter is also typically regarded as a pretty badly designed race; up until Heroes of Shadow, it was the one most commonly complained about. Alright, here's a shot at the Troll 4e profile...

Troll
"Cho' call, mon?"

Languages: Common and Low Common (in a generic 4e game, this would be replaced with Giant, the generic language shared by bestial demihumans such as Orcs, Trolls and Goblins).
Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics or Athletics, +2 Nature

Trollish Healing: At the end of each short rest, you automatically regain lost hit points equal to your Constitution modifier. These are in addition to any hit points restored by spending healing surges.

Trollish Vitality: You have the Regenerative Frenzy racial encounter power.

Regenerative Frenzy
Encounter, Healing, Racial
"As your blood begins to flow, you give a shout of fury. In response to your rage, your wounds begin to close with greater speed."
Prerequisite: Must be bloodied
Effect: You gain Regeneration equal to your Constitution modifier divided by 2, rounded down, to a minimum of 1.

So, what do folks think? Does this look like a fairly good writeup? If yes, which race shall I offer for conversion next? The Corebook has Ironforge Dwarves, High Elves, Night Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, Humans, Orcs, Tauren and Forsaken. The Alliance Player's Guide offers Half-Elves, Furbolgs and Wildhammer Dwarves, while the Horde Player's Guide offers Half-Ogres and Half-Orcs (technically also Forest Trolls, but their stats are noted to be identical to those of a Jungle Troll from the Corebook).
Trollish Healing is bad for three reasons;
1) It requires an investment in CON. Racial features should be usable by any class.
2) It mimics the Satyr's racial feature. 
3) The HP regained is insignificant. Low CON PCs don't have the HP to notice, high CON characters have too many HP to notice.

Likewise, the racial power is bad because it requires CON. It also mimics the Longtooth power, which is unfun.

How's this?
Trollish Healing: When you spend a healing surge to regain hitpoints you regain an additional 2 HP per tier.

Regenerative Frenzy
"As your blood begins to flow, you give a shout of fury. In response to your rage, your wounds begin to close with greater speed."
Effect: Until the end of the encounter whenever you hit an enemy with an attack you regain 2 HP per tier.

What the changes do;
The feature and power are usable by any PC (except for a lazylord, but they are an exception), and don't mimic other races.
I changed Regenerative Frenzy to be an aggressive heal, which seems to fit the name and flavor text (I'm not familiar with WoW trolls though).
Also, the changes are purposefully designed to stack with other healing effects (Regenerative Frenzy allows the troll to use other regenerate powers, for example), making this troll very good at regaining HP, which seems to make sense. 
One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.
I was going to suggest stealing the Dragonborn surge adjustment feature, but as was said, a dependance on a stat is bad design. So 2/tier works.
Yeah, I think that looks much better, though I must confess to also not being so sure about the new form of Regenerative Frenzy; I was working on very vague memories of the "Troll Berserker" upgrade for Trolls in Warcraft 2, which made them recover health faster and attack faster.

So, which of the races should I post next? or is that up to my discretion?
Regenerative Frenzy
Effect: Until the end of the encounter whenever you regain an additional 3 HP per tier whenever you regain HP.

How's that? Getting regen would annoy the Shifters, but this can actually be much stronger.
One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.
Regenerative Frenzy
Effect: Until the end of the encounter whenever you regain an additional 3 HP per tier whenever you regain HP.

That's not a power. It's an encounter ability that has no limit on usage and lasts all encounter long, so there's no reason for it to not simply be always active. It's basically just a feature, more specifically the Dragonborn's Draconic Heritage feature.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
It requires the user to get bloodied, which is based on the flavor text given.
If used during the encounter it does not take effect during the short rest afterwards.
Draconic Heritage does not kick in during regen, Astral Seal, Beach of Hope, or other effects that hand out small amounts of HP.

edit;
To be fair, the troll doesn't *need* a power, so this power could work as a feature. Neither the original human nor the original dwarf had racial powers.
True... indeed, it's very valid, but so few of the 4e races are built without a power that it slipped my mind. How does this look as a 4e WoW Troll?

Troll
"Cho' call, mon?"

Troll Healing: When you spend a healing surge to regain hitpoints you regain an additional 2 HP per tier. Any power used on you that causes you to regain hit points heals +3/6/9 hit points. You double the amount of hit points that you regain automatically after a short rest.

Troll Weapon Proficiency: You are automatically proficient in either the Spear and Javelin, or in the Hand Axe and Throwing Axe.

Troll Vitality: You can spend a healing surge as a free action if you are Bloodied.
What if a power used on you allows you to spend a healing surge? Does that stack?
No, I was thinking that only powers that directly gave you hit points would count. Powers that trigger you using a healing surge count as "only" the healing surge bonus of +2/4/6.
To be fair, the troll doesn't *need* a power, so this power could work as a feature. Neither the original human nor the original dwarf had racial powers.

I totally disagree. The only races that did not have a racial encounter power in their original incarnation were the Human and the Shade. The Shade sucks, so that's that, and the Human is the exception to every race creation rule. The Dwarf had Dwarven Resiliance, which was effectively a racial encounter ability because it fulfilled the same function and role. I have seen no homebrew races that I can think of that pull off not having a racial encounter power or something functionally identical to it.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
In addition to their fast healing (which seems covered with their other healing feature) the trolls had a Berserk ability that made them attack faster at the cost of taking more damage when hit, at least in WC:III.

So how about this?

Beserker Fury
Minor Action Racial Encounter Power
Prereq: Your must be bloodied
Effect: Take a standard action. You must use this action to make an attack. You gain Vulnerable 5/all per tier until the end of your next turn. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

Any power used on you that causes you to regain hit points heals +3/6/9 hit points. 

Currently this stacks with the bonus to surges, for powers like Healing Word. 

You double the amount of hit points that you regain automatically after a short rest.

So, 0? You don't regain hp automatically after a short rest, but you are allowed to freely spend surges to regain hp. 

Troll Weapon Proficiency: You are automatically proficient in either the Spear and Javelin, or in the Hand Axe and Throwing Axe.

Racial weapon proficiencies are generally a bad idea, because they aren't usable by all builds. Can you name a single build that would benefit from this feature? Generally if a PC wants a weapon, it already has proficiency with the weapons granted by the race, or is going to spend a feat on a superior weapon already. However, weapon proficiencies as a racial feature are so minor and inconsequential that it can't be a bad thing.

Troll Vitality: You can spend a healing surge as a free action if you are Bloodied.

How many surges? At any point while bloodied? This feature would work well as a free action encounter power to spend a surge when you are first bloodied.

I totally disagree. The only races that did not have a racial encounter power in their original incarnation were the Human and the Shade. The Shade sucks, so that's that, and the Human is the exception to every race creation rule. The Dwarf had Dwarven Resiliance, which was effectively a racial encounter ability because it fulfilled the same function and role. I have seen no homebrew races that I can think of that pull off not having a racial encounter power or something functionally identical to it.

Dwarven Resilience is not a power. It is an encounter ability sure, but that is not the same thing as a power. If it were, then the original human has a racial at-will power (just like the Shade).

There is no requirement for a race to have a power. Almost all of them do sure, and it makes things neater if they all do, but whether or not a race has a power (encounter or at-will) does not affect whether or not the game functions properly. It isn't a balance or design issue at all, unlike actual problems like whether or not the race supports implement users. You might like the race more if it has a power, but that doesn't make it better. 

Alright... how does this look?

Troll
"Cho' call, mon?"

Troll Healing: When you spend a healing surge to regain hitpoints you regain +3/6/9 hit points. You automatically regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier after a short rest.

Troll Vitality: You have the Regenerate racial encounter power.

Regenerate
"When your body is weakened, adrenaline causes your healing abilities to kick into overdrive."
Prerequisite: You are Bloodied by an attack
Cost: Instant Reaction
Effect: You immediately spend a healing surge. You also gain Regeneration 1/3/5 until the encounter ends.

While it's true that Warcraft 2 and 3 both had "Troll Berserkers" as an upgraded form of Troll, I don't want trolls to look too much like Orcs, whose D20 incarnation is defined by its ability to fly into a Rage, ala Barbarians.
Dwarven Resilience is not a power. It is an encounter ability sure, but that is not the same thing as a power.

I said that it was effectively the same, because it is. It fulfills the same design purpose, and make no mistake, there is a design purpose for racial encounter powers, to keep race relevant to a character in all encounters by offering an ability with the utility to be so frequently actively used. This is a design feature of 4E races, and violating that design paradigm can be problematic. It's not necessarily problematic in the balance sense but more in the design standard sense, like how the Half-Orc's Swift Charge is problematic in the design standard sense because it's so exclusively useful to certain kinds of characters even though it's certainly not overpowered.

Dwarven Resilience has been updated to be an actual racial power in Essentials, even. It has the full powerblock writeup and everything. It still does the same thing though.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
You also gain Regeneration 1/3/5 until the encounter ends.

This part of the power is too strong. It negates the need to ever spend any healing surges during a short rest as long as you're bloodied every encounter, because you'll already be at full HP by the time you take any short rest. This is exactly the reason that the Shifter regeneration only functons while the character is bloodied.

So I need to remove the "gain regeneration" part of the racial power, but otherwise the race is finally looking balanced?
I thought I may as well post up the other Horde races from the corebook.

WoWarcraft D20 Orc:
* +2 Stamina, -2 Intellect
* Medium
* Base land speed 30 feet
* Low-light Vision
* Battle Rage: Orcs may Rage as per a Barbarian once per day. If they have a class that grants them the usage of Rage, then they increase the number of times they can rage a day by +1.
* +2 Racial Bonus on Handle Animal (Wolf) checks and Intimidate checks. Intimidate is always a class skill for Orcs.
* +1 racial bonus on attacks against Humans.
* Weapon Familiarity: Orc Claws are Martial weapons for Orcs instead of Exotic weapons.

WoWarcraft D20 Tauren:
* +2 Strength, -2 Agility
* Medium
* Natural Weapon (Extraordinary Ability): Horns. Inflicts D8 plus Strength bonus damage when used.
* Weapon Familiarity: Tauren Halberds and Tauren Totems are Martial weapons for Tauren instead of Exotic weapons.
* +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Survival checks. These skills are always class skills for Taurens.

WoWarcraft D20 Tauren Racial Class:
Level 1: Base Attack Bonus +0, Fortitude Save +2, Reflex Save +0, Will Save +2, +1 Strength, Tauren Charge - Extraordinary Ability that allows a Tauren to use his/her horns during a charge instead of a melee weapon. In addition to the usual benefits and hazards of a charge, the Tauren delivers a gore attack that inflicts regular Horn damage + 1 1/2 times the Tauren's Strength modifier.

Level 2:  Base Attack Bonus +1, Fortitude Save +2, Reflex Save +0, Will Save +2, +2 Spirit, +4 racial bonus on Saves vs Fear, Automatically gain proficiency with either the Tauren Halberd or Tauren Totem

Level 3: Base Attack Bonus +2, Fortitude Save +3, Reflex Save +1, Will Save +3, +1 Strength, Automatically gain proficiency with either the Tauren Halberd or Tauren Totem, Tauren Charge becomes Improved Taurent Charge (Tauren is now considered Large for the purposes of making Tauren Charges and Bull Rushes, Tauren receives a +4 racial bonus on Strength checks for Bull Rushes)

WoWarcraft D20 Forsaken:
* +2 Strength, -2 Agility
* Medium
* Darkvision 60 feet
* Undead
** No Stamina score and so Forsaken do not gain bonus hit points per Hit Dice
** Immunity to all mind-affecting effects
** Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease and death effects
** Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain or energy drain
** Immune to damage to Strength and Agility as well as fatigue and exhaustion effects
** Negative energy heals, positive energy harms
** Does not heal naturally
** Immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless the effect also hurts objects or is harmless
** Uses Charisma modifier for Concentration checks
** Not at risk of death from massive damage
** When reduced to 0 hit points, the Forsaken is Disabled (can only take one move or standard action per round)
** At -1 to -9 hit points, the Forsaken is unconscious
** At -10 hit points, the Forsaken is destroyed
** Not affected by Raised Dead or Reincarnation spells or effects. Resurrection and True Resurrection revive the Forsaken as a Forsaken. Wish and Miracle can bring the Forsaken back to true life.
** Does not eat, breath or sleep, but still needs 8 hours of uninterrupted rest to prepare spells

WoWarcraft D20 Forsaken Racial Class:
Level 1: Base Attack Bonus +0, Fortitude Save +0, Reflex Save +0, Will Save +2, +1 Natural Armor Bonus to AC, +1 Strength

Level 2: Base Attack Bonus +1, Fortitude Save +1, Reflex Save +0, Will Save +3, +1 Natural Armor Bonus to AC, +1 Strength, Slam as Extraordinary Attack that does 1D6 + Strength modifier damage

Level 3: Base Attack Bonus +2, Fortitude Save +1, Reflex Save +1, Will Save +3, +1 Natural Armor Bonus to AC, +1 Strength, Increased Hit Die (whenever the Forsaken gains a Hit Die, it uses the next largest one up - a Forsaken Arcanist (D6 Hit Die) would instead use a D8 Hit Die when it gains a level, for example - unless it would already use a D12, in which case it gains D12+2 hit points)

Right, so, there are the Forsaken, Tauren and Orc as they would be in Edition 3.5. How might they graduate to the 4th Edition?
Other than ability scores, the revenant is already quite close to what a 4E forsaken would be like. Here's a quick adaption, which changes the ability scores, swaps the bonus to Endurance with a bonus to Perception, removes Past Life and Undead and makes the Death's Blessing and Reaper's Resistance feats built-in, and replaces dark reaping with a new power called ardor of death

Forsaken

Ability Scores: +2 Strength; +2 Intelligence or +2 Charisma

Languages: Common, choice of on other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Perception

Death's Blessing: You are an undead creature. You don't need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. You never have to make Endurance checks to resist the effects of starvation, thirst, or suffocation. All other conditions and effects affect you normally, and you still require 6 hours to gain the benefits of an extended rest.

Reaper's Resistance: You have resistance to necrotic damage equal to 5 + one-half your level.

Unnatural Vitality: When you drop to 0 hit points or fewer and are subjected to the dying condition, you can choose to be dazed, instead of falling unconscious. You make death saving throws as normal, and if you fail one, you fall unconscious instead of being dazed.

Encounter
Free Action
Trigger: You are subject to an condition that a save could end.
Effect: The triggering condition immediately ends.
Special: If you are subject to more than one condition that a save could end, this power can only end one of those conditions.

Feats

Here's a couple of feats which should allow a forsaken character to better emulate the 3E race. I would also allow forsaken to take certain revenant feats that don't require/affect dark reaping or Past Life, such as Death Scorned, Death's Quickening, Eerie Resurgence, Fierce Vitality, Ghostly Vitality, Resilience of Death, and Unnatural Vitality.

Reposed Mind
    Prerequisite: Forsaken
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against charm, fear, illusion, and sleep effects.

Unholy Vigor
    Prerequisites: Forsaken
    Benefit: At the end of each extended rest, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 5 + one-half your level.
i would drop the Troll's choices in Skill Bonuses and Weapon Proficiencies.

I would also drop the Con mod in healing at the end of a short rest. The benefit is not worth complicating the feature over.
Troll
"Cho' call, mon?"

Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature

Troll Healing: Your healing surge value increases to 1/4th your max hp + 3. At level 11 your healing surge value increases to 1/4th your max hp + 6, and to 1/4th your max hp + 9 at level 21.

Crafty Hunter: Targets you have combat advantage against do not benefit from partial cover.

Troll Frenzy: You have the Troll Frenzy racial encounter power.

Troll Frenzy                        Troll Racial Power
"When your body is weakened adrenaline kicks you into overdrive."
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: You are Bloodied by an attack
Effect: You immediately spend a healing surge to regain HP, and may make an at-will attack.

How's that?
Thank you, Rampant, nb_nmare, those both look like very good 4e races to me. But then again, I'm not exactly an expert at judging this, am I? ;)

Hmm... for the Orc, perhaps +2 to Constitution and +2 to either Wisdom or Strength works? Warcraft Orcs are ferocious melee fighters, but they're also a shamanic race with a culture based around the spirits and proper reverence for them. Racial features escape me, but I was thinking that their racial power would be "Orc Battle Rage", a Stance that gives them a +2/4/6 bonus to Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls and Fortitude Defense at the cost of an equal penalty to Armor Class.

For the Tauren... +2 Strength and +2 to either Wisdom or Constitution is the only stat choice that immediately leaps to mind, but the problem is defining them differently from the Minotaur... unless they should just use the Minotaur statblock?

Orc

Ability Scores: +2 Constitution; +2 Strength or +2 Wisdom
Vision: Low-light

Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Nature

Blood Fury: While you're bloodied, you gain a +2 racial bonus to damage rolls. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

Hardiness: You have a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against effects that daze or stun.

Natural Ferocity: You gain training in the Intimidate skill.

Encounter
Minor Action
Effect: The next attack you make before the end of your next turn deals 1d6 + your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom modifier extra damage on a hit.
    Level 11: 2d6 + your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom modifier extra damage.
    Level 21: 3d6 + your Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom modifier extra damage.

Feats

Focused Rage
    Prerequisite: Orc, battle rage power

Benefit: When you use battle rage, you also gain a +2 bonus to the next attack roll you make before the end of your next turn.

Orcish Command
    Prerequisite: Orc
    Benefit: Whenever you use a class feature, power, or feat that allows an ally to make an attack, that attack deals 2 extra damage. 

Vigorous Rage
    Prerequisite:
 Orc, battle rage power
    Benefit:
 When you use battle rage, you can spend a healing surge as a free action.

That looks pretty good, NB_Mare. I think it works well; what do you others think? And does the Tauren warrant its own racial write up, or is it basically a Minotaur with an alternate racial culture?

While they have an obvious physical resemblance, I think tauren and minotaurs are different enough in regards to both their abilities and their cultures that tauren deserve their own write up.

Tauren

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom; +2 Strength or +2 Constitution
Vision: Normal

Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature

Hearty: You gain either Durable, Swift Recovery, or Toughness as a bonus feat.

Nature Resistance:
 You have resistance to lightning damage and poison damage equal to 5 + one-half your level.

War Stomp: You have the war stomp power.

Encounter
Minor Action | Close burst 1
Target: Each enemy in the burst that is touching the ground
Attack: Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +3 vs. Fortitude
    Level 11: Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +6 vs. Fortitude
    Level 21: Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +9 vs. Fortitude
Effect: You push the target 1 square and knock it prone.

Wow. I stand corrected; a unique Tauren racial template is viable. Alright, time to move on to the Alliance races... now, I know there's no point with posting the Human D20 profile, as I'm positive it's identical to the D&D 3.5 Player's handbook writeup, but what about the WoWcraft D20 Gnome? Should I post its profile?

Undead still need to eat and drink, and I don't see why they should have any special resistance to starvation or thirst.

Encounter

Free Action

Trigger:
You become dominated, immobilized, slowed, or weakened.
Effect:
The triggering condition immediately ends.
Very weak power. It's cool when it does come up, but it's just not going to come up during most encounters.

Blood Fury: When you're bloodied, you gain a +2 racial bonus to damage rolls.

Needs to scale or else become useless at higher levels.

Encounter

Minor Action

Effect:
 The next attack you make before the end of your next turn deals 1d6 extra damage on a hit.
Level 11: 2d6 extra damage.
Level 21:
3d6 extra damage.
Looks underpowered to me. Compare to the Half-Orc power. Granted, this one scales, but still.

Hearty: You gain 5 additional hit points. In addition, your number of healing surges increases by one.
Nature Resistance:
Tauren Cultivation:
 You gain training in the Nature skill.

None of these benefits is too powerful on its own, but all together it's just too much stuff.
Also, avoid auto-training in skills that some classes get for free. It makes the feature useless to a lot of characters.

War Stomp:
 You have the war stomp power.

Encounter

Minor Action | Close
 burst 3
Target:
Each creature in the burst
Attack:
 Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +3 vs. Fortitude
Level 11:
 Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +6 vs. Fortitude
Level 21:
Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +9 vs. Fortitude
Effect:
 You push the target 1 square and knock it prone.
WAAAY too powerful. Compare to the Genasi Earth-Shock power.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

for ideas for the orc

I gotta say any combination of Wis-con-str is pretty overplayed so you gotta really make the features count. 

Undead still need to eat and drink, and I don't see why they should have any special resistance to starvation or thirst.

Indeed they do... but forsaken do not. Besides which, this is simply the Death's Blessing feat (from Dragon #376) presented as a racial trait.

Ardor of Death: You have the ardor of death power.

Encounter

Free Action

Trigger:
 You become dominated, immobilized, slowed, or weakened.
Effect:
 The triggering condition immediately ends.
Very weak power. It's cool when it does come up, but it's just not going to come up during most encounters.

It's based on the mul incredible toughness power, though that applies to dazed, slowed, stunned, or weakened. I deliberately removed dazed from the list of conditions to prevent the power from being able to bypass the daze effect of Unnatural Vigor... but now I think about, as the power is indeed rather situational, that would allow it to see considerable more use. Heck, how about allowing it to be applied to *any* single condition?

Blood Fury: When you're bloodied, you gain a +2 racial bonus to damage rolls.

Needs to scale or else become useless at higher levels.

I disagree. This trait is intended to be similar to Astral Majesty, Bloodhunt, Dragonborn Fury, etc, and none of those scale. Feats that grant constant or near-constant damage bonuses (which this stacks with) only go up to +3 at epic, and +1 damage isn't exactly much of a difference.

Battle Rage: You have the battle rage power.

Encounter

Minor Action

Effect:
 The next attack you make before the end of your next turn deals 1d6 extra damage on a hit.
Level 11: 2d6 extra damage.
Level 21:
 3d6 extra damage.
Looks underpowered to me. Compare to the Half-Orc power. Granted, this one scales, but still.

Compare to the genasi fire pulse power, or indeed infernal wrath (though obviously the latter doesn't require an attack roll)... and this is untyped damage.

Hearty: You gain 5 additional hit points. In addition, your number of healing surges increases by one.
Nature Resistance:
Tauren Cultivation:
 You gain training in the Nature skill.

None of these benefits is too powerful on its own, but all together it's just too much stuff.

This is less stuff than several official D&D races get, particularly the dwarf and eladrin. Heck, a human who choses Constitution for his ability score, Nature as his bonus skill and Durable as his bonus feat would be quite similar to this race. Of course, there would be the extra ability score, the skill bonuses, Nature Resistance, and war stomp; however, Bonus At-Will and Human Defense Bonus should compensate for these, I should think?

Also, avoid auto-training in skills that some classes get for free. It makes the feature useless to a lot of characters.

That is a good point. How about a +2 bonus if you're already trained in the skill?

War Stomp:
 You have the war stomp power.

Encounter

Minor Action | Close
 burst 3
Target:
 Each creature in the burst
Attack:
 Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +3 vs. Fortitude
Level 11:
 Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +6 vs. Fortitude
Level 21:
 Strength, Constitution, or Wisdom +9 vs. Fortitude
Effect:
 You push the target 1 square and knock it prone.
WAAAY too powerful. Compare to the Genasi Earth-Shock power.

My bad, I based this on the level 1 druid encounter power gust of wind, and forgot to change the size when I changed it from blast to burst - it should be a burst 1. As for earth shock, I thought it was generally agreed it was underpowered? 
now, I know there's no point with posting the Human D20 profile, as I'm positive it's identical to the D&D 3.5 Player's handbook writeup

Actually, the WoW RPG human does have a couple of additional racial traits that the standard 3.5 human does not. WoW itself has also made some changes to the race since the WoW RPG was written.

I think these would be best presented as a subrace, ala the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. As with the subraces in that book, you can pick and choose which traits you want:

Azerothi Human

Azerothi Human Skill Bonus
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Perception. This benefit replaces Bonus Skill.

Azerothi Human Weapon Specialization
    Benefit: Choose heavy blades and light blades, or hammers and maces. You gain proficiency with all simple and military weapons of the chosen types, and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with these weapons. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level. This benefit replaces Bonus Feat.

Courageous
    Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Will and your choice of either Fortitude or Reflex. You also gain a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against fear effects. This benefit replaces Human Defense Bonus.

Every Man for Himself
    Benefit: You the every man for himself power. This benefit replaces either Human Bonus At-Will Power or heroic effort.

Every Man for Himself | Human Utility
Encouter
Minor Action | Personal 
Trigger: You start your turn
Effect: You end any dazed, dominated, immobilized, restrained, or slowed condition currently affecting you that can be ended by a saving throw.

Indeed they do... but forsaken do not.

That's fine, it just looked like you were trying to specifically detail what being undead was, which does not include those in the general sense.

It's based on the mul incredible toughness power...
Which is also a bad power for the reason I already went over. It's just too situational in use. The purpose of racial powers is to give characters something that they can actively do on a consistant basis that makes their race remain a significant choice. A racial power that's too situational in use does not fulfill its purpose.

Heck, how about allowing it to be applied to *any* single condition?

I worry that might make it too good... Hmm...

I disagree. This trait is intended to be similar to Astral Majesty, Bloodhunt, Dragonborn Fury, etc, and none of those scale.

A damage bonus is not the same as an attack or defense bonus. Those do not need to scale, but damage still does. That's what the Gnoll feature, which does pretty much this exact same thing, does scale.

Compare to the genasi fire pulse power, or indeed infernal wrath (though obviously the latter doesn't require an attack roll)... and this is untyped damage.
The Genasi Fire-Pulse power is terrible. Compare it to Infernal Wrath. But really, comparing your power to infernal wrath isn't a bad idea. The different is pretty much that takes a more valuable action, does less damage, and has a chance to fail.

This is less stuff than several official D&D races get, particularly the dwarf and eladrin.

Are you kidding me? No, it is not.
Bonus hit points, bonus healing surge, good resistance to one of the more common damage types in the game (especially for ongoing), good resistance to another damage type on top of that, and free trained skill?
No, the Dwarf and Eladrin do not get that much stuff. Features like weapon proficiency and trance are mechanically insignificant and simply do not count. And the Dwarf gets more stuff than most races because it has low speed.

As for earth shock, I thought it was generally agreed it was underpowered?
Nope, it's a fine power. Where'd you get the idea it was underpowered? It might have some design flaws in that it's a bit melee-centric and doesn't offer enough abilty score options for attack, but underpowered it is not.

But really, comparing your power to infernal wrath isn't a bad idea. The different is pretty much that takes a more valuable action, does less damage, and has a chance to fail.

I'm not quite sure how 1d6 damage is less damage than 1d6 damage ;). Regardless, I've upped the damage to d8s, which matches the berserker's Berserker Fury class feature.

No, the Dwarf and Eladrin do not get that much stuff. Features like weapon proficiency and trance are mechanically insignificant and simply do not count. And the Dwarf gets more stuff than most races because it has low speed.

The eladrin still essentially has two free feats (regardless of what those feats are), PLUS a defense bonus, PLUS a saving throw bonus, PLUS another minor bonus, PLUS low-light vision. Hardy was a blend of Durability and Toughness (less potent than both), so was basically the equivalent of one feat. Nature Resistance is the equivalent of two feats (Poison Adaption and a non-existant Lightning Adaption). Tauren Cultivation is also the equivalent of a feat. So that's four feats. Dwarves by my count have the equivalent of six feats, which I think more than compensates for their speed... especially considering they can simply take Quick Steps as their level 1 feat.

Anyway, I've remove Tauren Cultivation, but have also updated Hardy so that it grants you a choice of three different feats. I could perhaps allow them to choose any feat from the Enduring Stamina category, but that may be a bit too much considering it includes Improved Defenses.
Problem with the Orc power is that you trigger it before you hit, which means it has a 50% chance of doing nothing. Infernal Wrath doesn't have an attack roll and adds your ability modifier to the damage. Furious Assault adds a [W], which is often better then even a d8. Even Dragonbreath adds an ability, and that one applies damage in a Blast 3.

You should probably make it a free action, or make it not expend if you miss all targets or something.
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!
Here's a quick attempt at a WoW goblin (yes, they're completely different to the D&D goblin). Please let me know your thoughts on the racial powers in particular; for rocket barrage, perhaps a condition would be better than simple ongoing damage (deafened, perhaps?). As for the ability scores, those are three highest for the WoW goblin, and I went with Int as the primary so they can excel as artificers.

Goblin

Average Height: 2' 10" - 3'2"
Average Weight: 30 - 50 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution or +2 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares

Languages: Common, Goblin, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Perception

Arcane Curiousity: You gain training in the Arcana skill. If you already have training in this skill, you instead gain +2 bonus to Arcana checks.

Better Living Through Chemistry: You gain Alchemist as a bonus feat, and you master two formulas of your choice. The formulas you choose must be of your level or lower.

Goblin Wiliness: You gain a +1 racial bonus to Will.

Rocket Technology: Once per encounter, you can use either the rocket barrage power or the rocket jump power.

Rocket Barrage | Goblin Attack
Encounter * Fire
Minor Action | Close burst 10
Target: One creature in the burst
Attack: Intelligence, Constitution, or Dexterity +3 (6 at 11th level and 9 at 21st level) vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 3 fire damage (save ends).
    Level 11: 2d8 + Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 6 fire damage (save ends).
    Level 21: 3d8 + Constitution, Dexterity, or Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 9 fire damage (save ends).

Rocket Jump | Goblin Utility
Encounter
Move Action | Personal
Effect: You jump 10 squares. You can divide these squares however you like between horizontal distance and vertical distance.