Build-a-city

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to make a city, and I want your help. Detail it, describe it's notable residence, it's politics, it's organizations. Hopefully it will be one of many cities, enough to fill a campaign world for the entire community. I think this could be really cool if it works. Everything is cannon.
I'll start. The city has three political parties, with different races at the helm of each. One has warforged, teflings and shifters at it's head. One of the others is ruled by elves, humans, halflings and dwarves. Now I ask you, which is the third party? Who is leading now? How did they come to power? How do they rule? What are the names of the parties?
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
    The political system is not one of first questions you need to settle about your city.  And you do not need to settle which race backs which party for a long time after that. 
    Why is there a city at all?  trading?  administrative?  resources?  Which ones?  What is the size of this city?  What is the general climate and ecology?  What races are present?...
    Now you seems to want a large variety of races.  Why are they all in the same location?  [They may have different or the same.]   But an idea...

THE FORGIVING

The least of the three parties, and perhaps the strangest [certainly the most often mistrusted], the party is led by a strange colition of diva, drow, and half-orcs.  Large numbers of what are often termed the monster races are also present.  Sometimes some of these races also lead, but they are usually only followers.
     A century or so back, a particularly large invasion by monster races was particularly successful and particularly disastrous.  Huge areas were devastated, but the war ended with the invaders captured in very large numbers.  The winners were reluctant to kill, and not willing to release what would be the backbone of another invasion.  So the prisoners were enslaved and put to work repairing the damage they had done.  This worked well enough for a generation, but the slaves bred another generation who were not guilty of the invasion.  Despite often justified warnings that these later generations were just as criminally inclined as their parents, they were eventually freed and made citizens, of a second-class nature.  Having partial human ancestry allowed the half-orcs to gain leadership.  They were among the first groups freed.
     The presence of the deva and drow puzzle many, possibly including deva and drow.  Both claim to be helping the monster races achieve full citizenship and peaceful integration into society.  This is believed of the deva more often than the drow of course, but all know of deva that have gone bad and of drow who have turned to virtue [or at least disguised their evil plans too deeply for any to uncover.]  So neither races is fully [or at all] trusted.  However both have skilled that the monster races vitally need and so their leadership is unavoidable. 
     While many call the name, the Forgivers, a lie and an insult, it has been been politically very successful.  It hints that the backers of other parties have some sin that needs forgiving, and many of them have tender consciences about some actions in the past.  And it argues that the Forgivers are kind-hearted, innocent types [which a good many of them definitely are not, the party being quite popular among the criminal element, and much of its leadership involved in various plots.]
     Generally the party is in the opposition of whichever party is in power, but at times the other parties find themselves of about equal power and the Forgivers can make or break the government.  This risk being ever-present, the other parties try to gain the favor of the Forgivers even when their support is not needed at the moment because it may be needed in a year or two.
     The Forgivers are routinely pushing monster rights [a term they object to by the way].  They also advocate various programs to benefit these races.  [Critics are fond of pointing out that much of the benefit goes to the leadership and its friends rather than to these races in general.]   Less openly, it is the center of a large number of plots of all sorts [frequently at cross-purposes].  While some of these secret plots are innocent [They promote a Secret Sharer program that allows those who fear a negative reaction for whatever reason to donate to whatever needs the help without being discovered.], others go all the way up to high treason, trying to promote the next monster invasion.
     As a result, the Forgivers are a favorite of the adventuring types, both as something that will hire them or something that causes others to hire them in defense [or "defense".] Sometimes both.
     The party membership, tho centered in the monster races, is the most diverse of the parties, both in race and behavior.  One is easily able to find absolute pacificists and very violent types, and while the common sterotypes are commonly true, one is easily able to find the exceptions here.  It is hard to dispute the charge that one is most likely to end up with a headache and an empty purse if one walks into a dark alley with a Forgiver than with any other party, but while the claim that anyone coming to your rescue is also a Forgiver is disputed, it is not refuted.
     While the better elements tend to look down on the Forgivers and hope they will go away, there is little sign of that, and they seem likely to keep the city "interesting" for a long time.  

HOW TO TWEAK YOUR TYRANT

Madesawa grovelled on the ground before his enthroned Monarch until his master spoke. The old voice of the Lord knelt beside him with the aid of his staff.

“You have displeased me greatly, Madesawa.” The voice of the Lord echoed in his ear.

“When I instructed you to slay the Queen-Mother, I thought I had made myself clear.” The old man leaning on the staff coughed, and Madesawa could feel the wet spray of blood against his ear.

“No more Insults Madesawa. Your failure makes me look foolish in the eyes of my Ministers.” The Voice of the Lord withdrew and Madesawa was grappled by the Kings Guards.

“No! Wait! Please!” Madesaw screamed. The boy on the throne could only stare blankly as they dragged Madesawa away.

If you are looking for something to tweak your local cookie cutter Monarch into a realistic authority figure that Players will fear angering then add a few of the following points to your Monarch’s Profile. Pretty soon, you will have them prostrating themselves before the King.

MONARCHICAL ABSOLUTISM. The King or independent Chief enjoys absolute power.

EMINENT DOMAIN. All land, Livestock, and Game are the property of the monarch providing a right to income.

DIVINE AUTHORITY. The Ruler is a divine power or has access to divine Power.

RITUAL ISOLATION. The Monarch resides in physical isolation with a few attendants to do the Monarchs Bidding. Meetings involve acts of isolation by curtains, designated speakers,

INSIGNIA OF OFFICE. Royal status is displayed through symbolic regalia,

CAPITAL TOWNS. The Monarch resides in a capital and new rulers establish a new capital or residence.

ROYAL COURTS. The Monarch maintains a Court with assorted specialized staff. Pages, guards, chamberlains, etc.

PROTOCOL. Behaviour in the presence almost universally requires conformity to a process of behaviour. Indirect Interaction, Gifts, Abject Prostration, etc.

HAREMS. The ruler has a great many wives and or concubines.

QUEENS. At most royal courts a queen mother, a queen consort, a Queen Sister enjoy prestige sometimes outranking the Monarch. They will likely have their own estates and enjoy some political authority.

TERRITORIAL BUREACRACY. For Administrative purposes, the state is divided into administrative provinces with their own officials tasked with taxation and labour management. Such provinces will be subordinate to a central authority.

MINISTERS. Located in the Capital they work as assistants to the Monarch in the central Bureaucracy.

DUALITY OF ROLES. Ministers function in an assortment of areas of the bureaucracy.

TITLES. Hereditary or Term of Service.

SECURITY. Rivals for the throne are killed, imprisoned, or deported to maintain stability.

ELECTORAL SUCCESSION. Though the Monarch designates an Heir, the final say is in the hands of ministers.

PERIOD OF MOURNING. After the death of the Monarch. A period of social disorder occurs when candidates vie for power.

HECATOMB. Funerary Rites for a Monarch include acts of sacrifice, sometimes large scale slaughter.

Example – A Kobold Chief named Topek suddenly has a style all his own: Topek the Cunning expects a gift of blue stones when visitors come before him.  His Advisors wear wooden Masks at court, and he had to hand-carve his own throne from a block of sandstone as a rite of Passage. Topek is all about courtly ceremony and ritual.

- Covered with a leather hide is an open stone box of blue stones next to a large piece of Sandstone carved with scratches and what could be a skull. When Topek the Cunning is present, his advisors stand behind him wearing wooden masks.

Want to learn more? [G. E. Lenski, ‘Power and Privilege’, 1966] discusses the progress of Society from Hunter-Gatherer to the Industrial Age.

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html

THE MARK OF CIVILIZATION

Estegons bruised and bloody form was dragged before the throne of Harman the Tyrant and his head pulled back that he might look upon the furious countenance of his benefactor.

“Estegon! It has come to my attention that thou dost sowest discord amongst the Commoners. Apparently…” Harman indicated to one of his lackeys who stepped forward to whisper in his ear. He growled at what he was hearing.

“…you have described mine rule as having the semblance of the social order of the Apemen of Thundu!” Estegon smiled through smashed in teeth and lobbed a wad of bloody sputum in the direction of his lord.

“I call it how I see it.” Harman snarled at Estegons unrepentant response and descended from his throne to the broken form at his feet. The Tyrant of Dewomar pushed his thumbs under the eyes of Estegon and the man screamed.

With two fresh eyeballs Harman stuffed them in his mouth and swallowed them. Estegon laughed back the pain of the Tyrants embrace.

Harman looked at one of his guardsmen and indicated his thumb-down judgement.

“The largest of the Thundu frequently enjoy eating the ey …” The Axeman ended Estegons tirade in a stroke.

So you are building a civilization for your campaign and you want to give it a depth that goes beyond the superficial ideas you have thus far come up with. The problem is how do you distinguish its fine qualities from the Cave dwelling Kobolt tribes of the nearby mountains or the distant Vine people of Shogonu?

The transition to civilization is marked by certain commonalities consisting of changes in Social Behaviour and some basic technological advances.

Technological Advances

1. The development of many new artistic forms and designs to express symbols of the earthly and supernatural power of urban centres.

2. The building of increasingly larger and more complex structures in the form of Store Houses, Palaces, Temples, Monuments to heroes and gods, and large scale public irrigation, water supply and drainage systems.

3. The invention and development arithmetic and geometry for complex record keeping, making estimations of the value of food and tools, and for building, making precise calendars, and measuring the passage of time.

4. The Development of Writing as a means of expressing rules for the new forms of social organization in growing urban centres and as a way to keep records of supernatural and political justifications for the new rules and their associated ruling elites.

Sociological improvements

1. A growing specialization of work combined with a developing local system within a town for the exchange and distribution of special objects and products.

2. Growth of Social integration amongst a rapidly expanding population in urban centres.

3. The development of trade networks for the exchange of goods and services with nearby urban centres.

4. The invention of rules for the collection and transport to a central urban centre of the surpluses of food produced by farmers and herders.

5. The Growth of political and religious leadership and membership in special organizations, as continuous residence in an urban centre began to replace social relations based on family and kinship – that is, the growth and differentiation of a “citizenship” in an urban centre began to replace personal identification through kinship.

6. The growth of a small ruling elite or class with privileges of access to material goods and to travel, special education and social deference from other ‘citizens’ of an urban centre, or group of centres.

Adding more to your Campaign culture

Perhaps this is sufficient to distinguish your civilization from a village of nomadic humans who live in family clusters, and know not the foul representations of Religion and Monarch. 

ex- Topek the Kobold King might live in a cave and demand blue shiny rocks as a gift from prostrate guests who come before his hand carved Siege Perilous while advisors hide in his shadow behind wooden masks, but does that make it a civilization? Perhaps it is just a matter of growth. With the expansion of Caves to include temples, store houses, water courses, and waste shafts; record keeping through written words and numbers, and the establishment of laws governing the collection of produce by his minions, then trade with other Kobold communities as his cave network becomes a centre of Power over a region is all it will take.

Want to learn more?

Read Thomas Rhys Williams ‘Cultural Anthropology’ published by Prentice Hall for what it takes to be a civilization.

The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html

DESIGNING SETTLEMENTS

Why’s and Where’s of Settlement

First off a settlement can be pretty much anywhere and consist of varying components that define its purpose.

First off, consider a location.

PART A - SITES OF SETTLEMENT

These are pretty much why any community will be located where it is.

Geological Transition Boundaries

• Coast – Sea

• Lake - Shore

• Plain – Desert

• Foot Hills – Mountains

• Forest – Tundra

• River – Sea

• River - Lake

Routes, Node Convergence

• Crossroads, Forks, Roads, Link-roads, Causeways, Dykes

• River – Ferry Crossing, Bridge, Fork, River Bank.

Resources

• Minerals (Gold, Iron, Copper, Quarry Stone, Clay diggings)

• Fuel (Coal, Firewood, Peatmoss)

• Energy Source (Wind/ Labour/ Water)

• Water (River, Oasis)

• Agriculture (Farmland, Grazing Land)

Fortified Positions

• Hill

• Mound

• Mountain

• Narrow Pass

• River Bend

• Natural Harbour

PART B - COMMUNITY SUBCOMPONENTS

This has to do with what a community looks like.

1. Isolated Farm

2. Market

3. Industrial

4. Commercial

5. Ecclesiastical

6. Administrative

7. Residential

8. Recreational

9. Cultural/Educational

10. Port (River, Coastal)

11. Primary Residence

12. Mining

PART C - SETTLEMENT DEBRIS

There are often older structures that are remnant of change in the community.

1. Buildings (New-Use, Recycled Building Stones, Foundations, Crop Marks, Rubble)

2. Water Supply (Canals, Wells, Aqueducts, Fountains, Subterranean Cistern)

3. Ecclesiastical (Crypts, Grave Stones, Cemeteries, Necropolis, Altar Stones, Memorials, Mass Graves)

4. Agricultural Remnants (Abandoned Fields-With/Without crop, Irrigation Ditches)

5. Fortifications (Abandoned/Ruined Keep, Castle Walls, Ditch-works, Dungeons)

6. Industrial (Pits-Tanning, Sheep dips, Garbage dumps, Clay or Peat Diggings; Kilns, Furnaces, Quarry Workings, Mine works, Mills, Water/Windmills)

7. Roads and Routes (Stone/Raised Dirt Causeways, Bridges, Paved Roadways, Cleared Trails, Mile Marker Stones)

PART D - ALIGNMENT SPREAD

It is sometimes helpful to know how the Majority of the Community Thinks and Behaves in terms of an Alignment.

Once the Ruler’s Alignment is determined, Determine Alignment Trends for the populace –  50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125% & 3.125% Other Alignments

PART E - SETTLEMENT TRAVEL RADIUS

This might be as far as people of the community will be found from the settlement without an unusual reason.

Population x 50 acres = Geographical Area

Square Root (Area/pi) = Travel Radius

With the Radius we have an amount of time that it takes to reach the boundary. This Time is then applied to Routes where greater distances of travel might extend the border and harsher travel conditions where the distance from community might be reduced

.PART F – ECONOMY

How much Fuel and Food does the community need?

FUEL: 10,000lb firewood x Population = Total annual Fuel Requirement (lb). Wagon Support: Tons/365 days=Wagon loads per day

GRAIN: o.6lb grain x population x 365 days = Total Grain needed.

MEAT: 0.5lb meat x pop x 365 days = Total Meat

FEED: 50lb of Full Bushel (Grain & Chaff) x 365 x Large Livestock Animals = Total Feed

THE CIVILIZATION INDEX

Captain’s Log: My mutinous crew escaped in the lifeboat and last nights storm has thrown the wreckage of my sailing vessel on the rocky shore of an isolated island that does not appear on my charts (I have plotted it for posterity. Find the map in the second bottle). Having explored part of the Island I encountered a civilization called the blubble-blubbble-splook. They seem a simple people with simple needs yet they understand my words as though I was speaking their language. Currently they seem obsessed with collecting a strange rock that washes up on the beach. Although I am uncertain what Quan-Tum Even-tsamp-ling means, I think it is related to their rock collecting (rock tied to bottle with map). I decided not to take up the offer of the blubble-blubble-splook to seek shelter back at their Ha-bita-tsi-te-Beee – the name of their village is my guess.

Tomorrow I will collect the timbers of my wrecked ship and lash them together as a raft. I think that if I can get out past the breakwater, that I will be able to catch the current into civilized waters.

If you want to rate a Civilization you need to know what aspects it has that can be compared to a hierarchy of progress. When determining the level of social inequality, it is the Technology Index that magnifies the effect of social stratification of goods within a culture.

SOCIAL INDICES

Government Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| None; Antisocial | 0 |

| Formal Leadership | 1 |

| Religion; Specialized Professions | 2 |

| Social Stratification; Currency | 3 |

| Basic Socioeconomics | 4 |

Military Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| War Chief leads tribe warriors | 0 |

| Appointed Chief leads amalgamated group | 1 |

| Professional Soldiers; Heraldry | 2 |

| Fighting Units; Professional ranks | 3 |

| Professional Standing Army | 4 |

TECHNOLOGICAL INDICES

Medical Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| No interest | 0 |

| Basic Herbal medicine; Cultivation | 1 |

| Basic Anatomy; Animal husbandry | 2 |

| Detailed Anatomy | 3 |

| Genetics; Nitrogen Cycle | 4 |

GeoScience Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| No interest | 0 |

| Weather cycles and seasons| 1 |

| Mineral recognition; Empirical Prediction | 2 |

| Basic Geological classification & history | 3 |

| Scientific Meteorology | 4 |

Engineering Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| No interest | 0 |

| Tool Making | 1 |

| Wind & Water mills; Pulleys & Levers | 2 |

| Steam Power | 3 |

| Reciprocating Engines | 4 |

Physical Science Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| No interest | 0 |

| Control of Fire | 1 |

| Metallurgy; Mining | 2 |

| Gunpowder | 3 |

| Electricity | 4 |

Astronomical index

| Achievement | Rank |

| No interest | 0 |

| Basic Navigation; Stars & Constellations | 1 |

| Planetary bodies | 2 |

| Solar System Mechanics | 3 |

| Relativity | 4 |

Building - Construction Index

| Achievement | Rank |

| No interest | 0 |

| Wooden buildings, Walls; Motte; Ditches | 1 |

| Multi-floor Wood Buildings; Drawbridges | 2 |

| Stone buildings, square towers, walls | 3 |

| Multi-floor st. building, Causeway; Tunnels | 4 |

Working with the Civilization Index

For the Tech Index add all six indices and divide by six.

To find ranks of inequality, you need to take all your Social Indices and add them and divide by the percentage of citizens in the army before multiplying this social index by the technology index. Technological x Social = equals Inequality. This provides you with some indication of the social stratification levels within your civilization.

Looks good and I was wondering if you knew the necessary population size for each area to be properly labeled as a town, settlement, city, and etcetera...

I also copied everything into a word doc

SOCIAL INDICES

Government Index

Military Index

TECHNOLOGICAL INDICES

Medical Index

GeoScience Index

Engineering Index

| Steam Power | 3 |

Physical Science Index

Astronomical index

| Planetary bodies | 2 |

TECH INDEX=2.5

A cities population is at most, 25,000 people, according to the DMK, but because this is not points of light per say, and this is one of the largest cities in the world, the population is about35-40,000 people.
More questions for people to answer: Is there any form of democracy or a balance of the ruling party, like a council? Are any normally monstrous races accepted as a civilized people?
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
     Keep in mind that you do not want a settled city.  You want lots of troubles the party can correct.  A bloody tyrant can be extremely powerful as the party battles against him, but a good ruler must be too weak to succeed without the aid of the party.   A divided government offers you more chances to put in plothooks. 
     Keep in mind that you do not want a settled city.  You want lots of troubles the party can correct.  A bloody tyrant can be extremely powerful as the party battles against him, but a good ruler must be too weak to succeed without the aid of the party.   A divided government offers you more chances to put in plothooks. 

On the note of troubles here are few off the top

Recent dissappereances of low level commoners and peasents who live in the poorer sections have come to the notice of the party thus they investigate finding a slowly growing cult of some BBED, Big Bad Evil Diety, and thus have to destroy them.  this can include a few trade convoys that went missing supposedly having been prey of bandits.  

A soon to be opening portal that leads to an evil plane of daemons

Conscript deserters of the local Kingdoms or neighboring Kingdoms army that takes resident in the nearby mountains or valley's who are heavily extorting the populace.

SOCIAL INDICES

Government Index

Military Index

TECHNOLOGICAL INDICES

Medical Index

GeoScience Index

Engineering Index

| Steam Power | 3 |

Physical Science Index

Astronomical index

| Planetary bodies | 2 |

TECH INDEX=2.5 A cities population is at most, 25,000 people, according to the DMK, but because this is not points of light per say, and this is one of the largest cities in the world, the population is about35-40,000 people. More questions for people to answer: Is there any form of democracy or a balance of the ruling party, like a council? Are any normally monstrous races accepted as a civilized people?

The Final result is 4.2 social factions if 20% of the population is millitary.

So a Council but it has no problem with monster heroes would require some mechanism...so I suggest:

The Arena of Heroes
Here ordinary heroes battle one another in the arena that the victor of each year's battles will be declared 'Mayor' for a year - The Role of Mayor has no Power and is a figurehead blamed for all the crimes of the Council despite the fact the Council itself is made up of assorted Faction Leaders.

Personally I prefer a consensus of the populace - where the Tyrant uses some Helm of Consensus that inflicts apon him the consensus of the populace's Will. So the whole populace must agree to build the new ringwall before the tyrant can authorize construction.