Rarer magic items and its effect on the campaign

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey there, guys! My group, we're thinking of playing in a homebrewed setting where magic items should be really, really rare - as in, Excalibur would be something like a +3 magic sword. We're thinking of adopting the following rules:

-  All Common magic items are considered Uncommon, and all Uncommon magic items are considered Rare. Also, each PC will only ever have a single Uncommon and a single Rare throughout his career.
- Rare items aren't available for PCs.
- Besides using the DMG2/Dark Sun inherent bonuses rules, each PCs will gain a total of +3 feat bonus to attack rolls (at levels 1, 11 and 21), +3 feat bonus to NADs (at levels 1, 11 and 21), and +6 item bonus to damage rolls (at levels 3/8/13/18/23/28).

We have a few questions, though:

- How much will the DM have to adjust for the threat levels of the enemies to take those rules into account? I mean, we won't have as many abilities as a standard group, but we'll still have the main benefits - the enhancement bonuses and the item bonuses to damage rolls.
- And, the one that is the most relevant for CharOp: which magic items should each PC choose? Here's the party's lineup: sword-and-shield Human Weaponmaster Fighter who mostly wants powers that let him attack several enemies at once; Eladrin Fey Pact Warlock focused on debuffing with a side of damage; Drow Tempest Sorcerer focused on area blasts; Dwarf Skald with a warhammer; and mordenkrad-wielding Human Paladin.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal. But the good name never dies of one who has done well. Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal. But I know one thing that never dies: the glory of the great dead. - [i]Hávamál[/i] D&D 4th Edition Bard builds: The Dashing Swordsman, The Master of Sound and Illusions, The Warrior Skald Captain Morality! (No point in not having fun with it. )
Honestly?  Zero.  Though I may bump up the limit of Uncommons to two or three, inherent bonuses plus free Expertise feat will probably get you home just fine.
As DuelistDelSol mentions above, if you're running very low/no magic, use inherent bonuses as outline in DMG2 or the Dark Sun Campaign Guide, free expertise is up to you, and consider alternative reward options such as grandmaster training, divine boons, etc.

Meh,  2 free feats is enough of a boon.
Though i would probably use themes as well.  Just to give a little more variety in powers.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I also encourage the use of boons, grandmaster training, etc. It's just fun to get stuff, and those make it possible to do so regularly even in low-magic campaigns. They will also help close any gap from not having additional powers/properties of magic items. I don't see you needing to adjust anything encounter-wise.

Your sorc may be a little bummed that he can't do DIS for extra damage. Although I guess he still could if he blew both items on implements.
Your sorc may be a little bummed that he can't do DIS for extra damage. Although I guess he still could if he blew both items on implements.

DIS actually works better with inherited bonuses.  Just grab 2 daggers (i presume non-magical stuff is legal), and they auto-level.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

No, doesn't work by RAW. DIS specifically says when you are wielding a Magic implement in each hand.
I'd recommend the DM get a wishlist from the players, pick some and have them for sale at a huge markup.  The players can pool their spoil to upgrade someone with an item that should "turn the tides."
That way the players have some control over their characters' items.  Have your DM be wary of heavy elemental encounters.  Many times PCs are able to stock up on potions of resist.  Perhaps he could have the town seller offer some herbal defensive stuff that provides resist 2-3, 5 for paragon, and 7 for epic.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
So you're using the vanilla Dark Sun sort of low magic world. 

I've played in such a campaign, and it's perfectly playable, but it eliminates the item dependent builds that rely on tricks like most stacking of item bonuses, the charge kit, etc.  Classes and builds with lower item dependence, such as monks, get to be reletively more powerful.  In contrast, striker focused warlocks, druids, blaster wizards, and other classes that have a lot of item dependency will be weaker than usual.  This effect will be most visible in paragon and epic tiers.  
I'd recommend the DM get a wishlist from the players, pick some and have them for sale at a huge markup.  The players can pool their spoil to upgrade someone with an item that should "turn the tides."
That way the players have some control over their characters' items.  Have your DM be wary of heavy elemental encounters.  Many times PCs are able to stock up on potions of resist.  Perhaps he could have the town seller offer some herbal defensive stuff that provides resist 2-3, 5 for paragon, and 7 for epic.

Using the inherent bonus system eliminates this sort of need. You use items for their properties and powers, not for their enhancement bonuses.  

For example, Ashes of Athas gives players 0 control over the little magical items available.    
My only recommendation is to add an inherent critical damage dice pool that scales with the inherent bonuses, so your critical hits still deal approximately the same amount of damage.
I am running a similar game.  The Pc's are at level 11.  A question I have is: does the Inherent Bonuses add in extra AC like the masterwork armor would? A scale armor wearer in magic +2 armor would also be getting an extra point for Drake scale or whatever it is.  So does that mean that a scale wearer with inherent bonuses is only getting the +2 with no option for the masterwork fix?

Is there a way to fix this for them in the CB? 
My only recommendation is to add an inherent critical damage dice pool that scales with the inherent bonuses, so your critical hits still deal approximately the same amount of damage.

The Dark Sun revision of inherent bonuses actually does this, so RAW that is how inherent bonuses work anyway.

@Humanfan: The inherent bonuses system did indeed introduce non-magical Masterwork, though the Heroes books made armor scale automatically by Enhancement anyway and it should work that way in the CB. You can still manually pick the non-magical versions that boost NADs instead if you have inherent bonuses clicked though.
First of all, thanks for all the comments guys! :-)

Hmmm... Will it be enough to hurt his performance? If so, we could just homebrew the feat.

In contrast, striker focused warlocks, druids, blaster wizards, and other classes that have a lot of item dependency will be weaker than usual.  This effect will be most visible in paragon and epic tiers.  

How much weaker? Enough to invalidate those builds?
Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal. But the good name never dies of one who has done well. Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal. But I know one thing that never dies: the glory of the great dead. - [i]Hávamál[/i] D&D 4th Edition Bard builds: The Dashing Swordsman, The Master of Sound and Illusions, The Warrior Skald Captain Morality! (No point in not having fun with it. )
Sorcs aren't exactly all that strong to begin with, so yeah, it'd be a good idea to say DIS works with Inherent Bonuses.

The only one I'd be worried about is the Warlock and honestly if you can pick a couple of items it'll be fine.
Warlocks are pretty hurt in the upper levels, as wotc tried to get them up to par largely through items. Sk pact, infernal and control focused build still would work though.

Beast form druids are supposed to do decent damage, and it's all through low level items such as claw gloves, serpentine staff and/or the charge kit. Past very low heroic, they will be pretty unimpressive without item support.
At Higher levels, the the ability for melee PCs to deal with flyers becomes an issue, as does the healing potential of your Skald (but really, the Range on the Skald aura is going to be the bigger problem), as does your ability to deal with status conditions (save bonuses, rerolls, resistances, interrupts, even lack of acrobat boots is something). An optimized party shouldn't have major issues, but you're going into this both without an optimized party and with a couple item dependant classes.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.