"Target makes a basic attack". Who decides?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
At Encounters today, an enemy used a power that made one of my allies make a basic attack against another player's character.  And something occured to me that hadn't up until now.  Unlike Dominate, which is very clear about what you can force someone to do, powers like Hypnotism are somewhat ambiguous.

If I'm forced to make a basic attack, can I decide if it's melee or ranged?  Which weapon to use (including improvised weapons like a kick)?  If I have a power that counts as a basic attack, do I have to use it, or can I just make the generic "melee basic attack" (for example, could my Blackguard use the generic power instead of his Virtuous Strike)?

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
Normally the game element will give an indication of who gets to choose the creature targeted by the forced MBA. If nothing is said, i'd be inclined to favor the enemy forcing the creature to attack and give  the choice to her rather.

FYI Hypnotism is not ambiguous.

Hybnotism: The target uses a free action to make a melee basic attack against a creature of your choice, with a +4 power bonus to the attack roll. 
I think the creature using the "force a target to make a basic attack" power has to be the one to make these choices, rather than the target of that power, otherwise these sorts of powers become basically worthless.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I would like to add that some classes have a horrible MBA (non STR based builds), but have powers that can be used in place of a MBA.  In those cases the MBA substitute should be used.  Think of it in terms of "if the character were making the attack, which attack would he choose".
That's almost certainly what's intended, but the powers don't specify, and I have yet to stumble across any rules governing this sort of thing. 
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
Plague he isn't questioning who picks the target. He is questioning if the forced MBA has to be a good MBA. Like if you forced a Swordmage with Intelligent Blademaster to make an MBA... does he have to apply Intelligent Blademaster, or can he use his Str mod? Can he use his off-hand rather then his weapon, thus avoid prof bonus and reducing the damage die to 1d4? Obviously if you are attacking your ally you'd want to use the bad MBA.

RAW it would certainly seem as if the PC (and monsters) could choose to use its worst MBA even though you can pick the target.
Exactly - if my PoS Avenger is forced to make a MBA, does it have to be Overwhelming Strike with my Gouge, or can it be Improvised Melee Attack with unarmed strike?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Oh wow i missed something here Wink

I say if the game element say you can* use then the enemy cannot choose this option since its an Option the PC has on a voluntary basis. But if one has a Power that count as a Basic Attack (ex. Magic Missile) then it can use the so called option (Ranged Basic Attack, for exemple) or an equivalent (Magic Missile)

Intelligent Blademaster for exemple says you can* use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Strength modifier when making a basic attack with a melee weapon.

I presume (though possibly not RAW), that it's intended for the forcer to choose which MBA the forcee uses.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The topic seems to come up alot. The previous concensus was that the person forcing you to take the action gets to decide (similar to forced movement of dominate), since otherwise it can start to get silly, and the effect becomes useless... i.e. pretty much every creature can make improvised attacks, so why wouldn't they? Also discussed here.
I think the easiest thing is to rule that the power user gets to choose the relevant details of the attack.
From a no abuse persective, I don't think the power user can use any encounter resources.  If the target has an encounter power that can be used as a basic attack, they can't be forced to use it.  I'd say that the same applies to any At-Will power that can only be used once a round, or even once a turn.  A monster can't stop you from using an At-Will Free Action attack on your opportunity attack by first making you spend that turn's Free Action Attack on your ally.
Hoard: may earn you gp; Horde: may earn you xp.
Hm, that's something I hadn't even considered- I know of some builds that use the Half Elf's Dilletante to pick up Eldritch Strike for an MBA.  Up until Paragon, that's an Encounter power.  So if "forced attack" powers require you to use your most effective MBA, they could theoretically do something even Dominate cannot do, ie, force you to use an encounter power.

I'm thinking, for good or ill, that these powers do exactly what they say on the box.  You use your Basic Attack Power, ie, the At-Will every creature has (according to the RC) when forced to make an attack.  You don't get to force the victim to make any decisions, simply because the power doesn't state that you do (powers only do what they say they do, etc.).  So if you target a Warpriest and tell him to make an MBA, he'll do so, using his lackluster Strength..even if he has a Feat or some other ability that gives him a better MBA.

This leaves only the question of what weapon must be used- there's no RAW on this, but I think it's fair to say the controller can choose based on the information he or she has at hand.  If I see a guy equipped with a sword, I can say "you there, make an MBA with that sword".  I don't know how good he is with that sword, or if he even has a viable MBA, but them's the breaks.

The only issue I have with this is that players can make checks to know what a monster's basic attack is, while monsters don't, so the DM has to be careful to stick with what the enemies should know about the players.  Of course, once an enemy sees a player use Eldritch Strike at will, all bets should be off, I think.    
The most sensible answer, to me, is "the forcer gets to make the forcee use any BA that's an at-will resource."  

So at L3, my Half-Elf Chaladin can be forced to use Virtuous Strike, but not Eldritch Strike or Hold Fast. At L11 with Versatile Master, he can be forced to use Virtuous Strike or Eldritch Strike, but not Hold Fast. 

To decide otherwise just seems like the kind of stupid petty rules lawyering  for technicalities that makes things unfun. "Oh, I have to make a BA? Okay, I'm going to bash him with my shield as an improvised weapon with my +0 strength bonus, instead of using my rapier and Eldritch Strike." Use the Basic Attack the enemy would want you to make, as they are kind of forcing you to do it. 
RAW: If the power just says "target makes a basic attack", then all that's required is that the player satisfies the power's text (makes a basic attack). The player has multiple ways to satisfy this condition and any of them will apply, all that's required is that he uses one of them (so he can do any one of them). RAI, it's pretty obvious the devs intended you to use whatever MBA you would use normally in that situation against an enemy.

I was in a similar position with a Swordmage once. The DM at the time ruled that I could make a willpower check against a difficult DC to use a weaker MBA (my fist). The idea was that the attacker was forcing me to do it, and he'd already succeeded on the hit, so I had to make the attack regardless - but if my will was strong enough, I could defy him even in doing what he wanted. Kinda reminds me of Harry Potter under the Imperio curse, now that I mention it (yay HP references).
i usualy play make a basic atack powers as follows.

trough magic or obscured vision you precive the target to be enemy,
i let the player decide what atack to use and tell him that to him it totaly seems like he is attacking an enemy.

So far i have not had problems with players doing less damaging atacks they fully roleplay seeing the target as an enemy.
i usualy play make a basic atack powers as follows.

trough magic or obscured vision you precive the target to be enemy,
i let the player decide what atack to use and tell him that to him it totaly seems like he is attacking an enemy.

So far i have not had problems with players doing less damaging atacks they fully roleplay seeing the target as an enemy.

This. While RAW there is no requirement for your player to pick the most damaging basic, or even a basic that is capable of hitting them at the time (i.e. attempting to make a melee basic attack against a target 4 squares away), this is metagaming and ruins the spirit of D&D. The fun comes from roleplaying.

"The enemy has muddled your mind, invading it and painting your perceptions as he or she chooses. Even as you sense the intrustion, however, your mind fills with rage and you feel an overwhelming urge to hurt your ally. Obviously, your ally has turned on you! You have to strike first! There's no time to use a flashy power or a complicated spell; hit them now, while you have the chance, quickly!"

In my case with the Swordmage, he was a Guardian, and as for the target.. She was his bonded charge. My character sensed his charge was in danger, and instinctively realised he himself was the cause. Even as he went to attack, his instincts moved to defend his charge from himself.. Hence the willpower check to use a less damaging attack. It was a pretty cool thing. IMHO, that's where the magic of tabletop RPGs is at.

I can foresee a problem with the "you think that person is an enemy" explanation.  If I was playing a Slayer or a Knight, for example, and you hit me with Hypnotism, I'd have to seriously ask myself why I wouldn't also use a Power Strike along with the forced basic attack...

I can foresee a problem with the "you think that person is an enemy" explanation.  If I was playing a Slayer or a Knight, for example, and you hit me with Hypnotism, I'd have to seriously ask myself why I wouldn't also use a Power Strike along with the forced basic attack...

Because you're not allowed to via some dread force.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

See:

There's no time to use a flashy power or a complicated spell; hit them now, while you have the chance, quickly!

Can easily be modified to:

There's no time to use a flashy power or a complicated spell, or martial trickery; hit them now, while you have the chance, quickly!

The whole point is, tell a story, make it a good story, and make it fun. But mostly, make it make sense. The combat mechanics help it make sense without being completely unfun (i.e. Oh bummer, you took an arrow in the gut! Spend the next few minutes on the ground, bleeding out, before you die - there's nothing anyone can do for you now). They're designed to help you make sense of the combat, it's not hard to make something designed to make sense, make sense. You're a thinking, living human being capable of making intelligent decisions. Change it up a little. Do what you want.

That said, in terms of roleplaying.. you're completely right; why wouldn't you use a Power Strike? You want to hurt them! If you were truly dedicated to roleplay over gameplay, you'd use it (since mechanically, you can - free action, with a trigger of "you hit"...). If I were in that position, I might even consider it (just for the roleplay of it). As long as your friends don't mind eating the extra [W] in order to make the story seem more dramatic - don't ever use roleplay to ruin someone else's gameplay (or visa versa).
Sign In to post comments