Hotel California

lyric.
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
 in game:
an in along a dusty road along which the players travel to stay in during the night

lyric:
Her mind is tiffany-twisted, she got the mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget
in game :
one of the other guests at the in is an exotic dancer called tiffany

lyric:
So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine
in game:
the owner of the inn used to be the captain of the city guard for a nearly city, even though he runs the inn now he still insists on wearing his old uniform

lyric:
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
The stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can�t kill the beast
in game :
the son of the inns owner ( the captain) is a wherewolf they lock him up in a cage at night stabing it with stealy knives that can'r kill it need silver for that to keep it dorment.
The wherewold keeps inceasing in strength, and the captain makes his plant to have his son werwold kill and eat tiffany hoping he will be more contoleble after that, thinking tiffany is the kind of person that would not be missed.
he haden't counted on the players ariving at his inn.

lyric:
relax, said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave
in game:
the night man is one of the employees of the in dropping sugestions to the players that it is not safe to stay here.

do any of you have more ideas like this?

Piano Man Billy Joel

this is a location.

lyric:
Now John at the bar is a friend of mine
He gets me my drinks for free
And he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke ****
But there's some place that he'd rather be
He says, "Bill, I believe this is killing me."
As his smile ran away from his face
"Well I'm sure that I could be a movie star
If I could get out of this place"
in game:
the bar man called John dreamt of being a bard and maybe even performing at the kings court before becoming a barman.

Lyric
Now Paul is a real estate novelist
Who never had time for a wife
in game:
paul is a realestate agent often found in the bar is the players are intrested in buying a building in the city they should talk to him.

lyric:
And he's talkin' with Davy, who's still in the Navy
And probably will be for life
in game:
Davy is a man of the city watch insider information on what is going on with the watch in the city can be gotten trouh him.

lyric:
And the waitress is practicing politics
in game:
she is actualy a member of the tieves guild, using her contacts at the bar to gather information.

lyric:
As the businessman slowly gets stoned
Yes, they're sharing a drink they call loneliness
But it's better than drinkin' alone
in game:
the waitres also sells a herbal narcotic, the codeword for ordering a herb bundel is to order a drink called loneliness ( and yes it is strong stuff so better then drinking alone)

I created an adventure based on a song lyric. It was a fun adventure.

Laura Viers. Icebound Stream.  

Watch, i can flash across the sky
A lightning bolt from up on high
And i can crash into myself

For PCs to discover
The speaker in this lyric is identifying himself to readers. Kord, lord of storms, refers to himself for readers to understand the speaker.

Now a flower blooms in reverse
And a song takes back a verse
A photograph fades to white

For PCs to understand
Now that the reader understands who is the speaker, he tells them the event takes place in the past. It is long ago. Also, it is a time which is not fully revealed; the vision of it is misty or foggy at best.

I can hold a thunderhead in my heart
And in my bed i can dream a winter's gale
And wake up drenched
A stormy pale, a stormy pale

For PCs to get hooked
Kord holds a mournful depression in his heart; he awakes from dreams of the War of Winter. Mortals understand dreaming, though deities may not need sleep. He awakens in a cold sweat. The word gale is a play on the word Ghaele, and eladrin of great power over a domain. In this case, it is a stand-in to reference Khala, goddess of winter, formerly a powerful deity cast down after the War of Winter.

A battered heath on the shore
Will make her keep and wait for more
But underneath her icebound stream
The water pours, the water pours

For PCs to seek
Kord sees that Khala's prison is on the natural plane. It is in a location with a stormy shore. This is where her prison holds her as a keep. She waits there for a chance to rise again in another winter war. However, underneath her glacial keep, a stream of run-off carries her whispers.

I can hold a thunderhead in my heart…

Once the PCs had most of the poem figured out, they needed to travel to the battered heath. This is not impossible, but will probably mean looking for clues of climate and weather related phenomena.

When they arrive at the stormy shore, they will find nearby settlements of a viking-like people. They have a common song among them which they claim is sung from the streams. As such, they adopted it for themselves and added some lyrics of their own. It will also lead the PCs to solving the adventure.

Laura Viers. Wandering Kind.

A strange July
a storm came down from the
North and pulled out the salt
and it tore out the leaves from the pear tree
my canopy

For PCs to realize
Khala speaks of a prophecy regarding a powerful storm breaking up the seas surrounding her prison and tearing the canopy of the prison that holds her. If they have Kord's boon, they have the power with them to fulfill this prophecy.

In the twigs and the bugs of sow
I knew somehow i was free
I held a stone above my bones
i was shaking

For PCs to believe
Khala is so certain of the prophecy, she knows it will make her free. She is overwhelmed by excitment at the prospect of being freed. The stone she mentions could be a ritual focus on some sort; I didn't specifically use it in my adventure.

In the blue stained glass church
you gathered up my heart
soldered together all the tiny, shattered parts 

For PCs to act
Kord himself cannot visit the natural plane, nor can he simply open a portal to pull her from the natural plane. He must send the PCs as proxies for him. When they reach the prison which holds Khala, given the title The Blue Stained Glass Church by Khala, they must speak words of love, compassion, and forgiveness as proxies for Kord. During the War of Winter, he eventually turned against Khala; the pain and heartache of that must be assauged before the imprisonment can be broken.

I said "All I can see in front of me
is the armpit of a crow"
you closed the wing
opened the door
and you ran into the summer yard

For PCs to worry
Khala's domain of winter was overtaken by the Raven Queen. Pelor had called upon her to take up the domain as he battled for supremacy. Khala knows that RQ holds her bound also. She cannot defeat RQ, but the PCs as proxies of Kord may have power sufficient to remove her warden's grasp and free Khala. Yet, what might this do for the PCs relationship to RQ?

'Cause the sun's been known to shine on our wandering kind
yeah, the sun's been known to shine on our wandering kind

For PCs to have red herring
This should not do much to fool them, but this is a section in which the locals have inserted their own lyrics to fit their song. It has nothing to do with the adventure except to give some flavor to the culture around them which the PCs might not interact closely with.

Clocking on her wooden board
the tattooed girl took up her swords
and plunged them down into the earth
a twinkling tide filled up her eyes
and poured out to the lawn
we made a raft out of the scraps of her skirt
and sailed 'til dawn

For PCs to enjoy mixed red herring
The locals have inserted some of their own lyrics, yet this also rings true of Khala's whispers. At the end of the War of Winter, Melora was given free reign to the domain of nature and the sea. She is the tattooed girl with the two swords. She uses her swords as symbols of strength over nature and the seasons. She also controls the seas. Melora poured out the glacier which would become Khala's prison, the blue stained glass church.

Locals did not understand this imagery and instead took it to mean the seas for their sailing. They worship Melora as a matron to all sailors. So, part of this verse matters to PCs and part does not. 

'Cause the sun's been known to shine on our wandering kind
yeah, the sun's been known to shine on our wandering kind (Repeat)

Our wandering kind (fade out)

Over the course of this adventure, the PCs msut confront the powers of the primal spirits which initially forced the gods to leave the natural plane and continue to bar their return. They must find permission to release Khala and also send her from the natural plane to the astral plane.

The PCs will be confronted with the power of Melora and Raven Queen as they attempt to release a deity which has been an enemy to both. The feelings af enmity are passed, but there is a need to ensure that Khala is not intent on starting a war again among the gods. In the case of my setting, I explained that RQ has the desire to give up the domain of winter in order to take up another domain in its place (the deities typically handle, at most, three domains); if Khala can be returned as the true heir to winter domain, she will be pleased. Melora would appreciate a goddess to participate in the seasonal changes with her; if Khala will honor the pacts of seasonal rotation made after the War of Winter, she will be welcomed.
On a related note, after my current campaign I've already decided that my next campaign would be designed around Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind album and basing it during the first airship flights.

• Where Eagles Dare - First failed test flight

• Revelations - Discovery of a magic that will allow for flight

• Flight of Icarus  - First successful flight

• Die with Your Boots On - Invasion of foreign power

• The Trooper - First encounter with their elite soldiers, barely escape with their lives

• Still Life - Foreign land makes great strides to conquering the land

• Quest for Fire - Search for greater magics

• Sun and Steel - Search for greater weapons

• To Tame a Land - PCs drive the enemy back

You've already mentioned Billy Joel. I always thought his River of Dreams would make a good adventure.

My favorite band Genesis has tons of awesome story songs. I just haven't gotten antything specific yet. Though I am looking at Supper's Ready. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

My "waiting room of the afterlive" is a white room with black curtains.
I ran a character inspired by "Jet Boy/Jet Girl"
I did a whole adventure arc based on The Decembrist song "Shangkill Butchers".  www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLY0HNds_tE

I actually used the song in the game.  When the players arrived in this new region, the local townsfolk had a legend about the Shangkill Butchers (whose name I changed for the game).  There is a line that goes "will blow your ribbons from your curls" and that was how I hooked them into the story.  One of the NPC's daughters went missing one night and all that was left was the strange ribbons left on the side walk.

It ultimately ended up being an evil kobold who had obtained a powerful set of song scrolls.  The scrolls allowed him and his gang to slowly turn kidnapped victims to his side.  Well, that’s the simplified version at least.   There was a great scene with the players walking through cells of this dungeon as all of the 'inmates" were mindlessly droning the lyrics to the song.  Creep-ed everyone out, until they met the scrawny kobold bard...

If you like doing Far Realms adventures, play Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon as background music.  There's plenty of images and scenes to steal and put in the plot.  Ditto The Wall.

Metallica's Enter Sandman might make a good villian - somebody who appears in dreams.  When he goes after the PCs, they don't get their extended rests.  Sure he's just an at-level Elite, but they don't have ANY dailies left when they get to him.  P.S. He does not kill his victims - he's got something even creepier in mind.

Roxette's Listen to Your Heart - Diplomacy check to prevent a breakup (maybe because the divorce carries nasty political complications?).

Genesis' Home by the Sea would work as a very large trap: if the PCs go in this haunted house, they have until daylight to figure out the curse and escape.  For variety, run an all-night session and use IRL sunrise!

If you have a DMPC who needs to leave the game (because the PCs can carry the load by themselves now), the new song I'm on the Edge of Glory would be good background music as he goes down gloriously, taking many of the enemy with him.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood Elf Rogue1/Monk2, AL, inspired by "Radar O'Reilly" from M*A*S*H: Perception(max)

Alavos of Kirauma, Half-elf Paladin5, HotDQ, Warlord themed

Characters Ready-to-go:

none at present; gotta work on somebody from below !

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Tiefling (skillful ... Bard? Rogue?) - future business master (using 3e FRCS background material) and patron to beginning adventurers.

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

I actually made an adventure around a song once - best song ever for this idea I always thought.

Shriekback - Nemesis.  Old School 1985 English Rock/New Wave/Goth/Dance track, pretty awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiOh84bLrmc

Too many D&D ideas to even cover in a decent lengthed post: priests, undead, lizard men, black dragon, canibals, centaurs, monkeys, cults, dinosaurs - all kinds of crazy D&D stuff going on in that song!

Lyrics here:

artists.letssingit.com/shriekback-lyrics...

Wow....I'm literally blown away by all this. This is just too awesome.
Sign In to post comments