Cheap Legacy Metagame

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am used to play modern format and I have seen that the Legacy competitive decks are so expensive that I cannot make a self-made competitive Legacy deck, because I am not rich, sincerely.

The most competitive archetypes almost used that I have seen are Mono Black Aggro, Reanimator and Dredge

Have you ever seen any deck that would be competitive, but not expensive enough ? I mean, the top decks are above 1.000 to 2.000 dollars, I'm not expecting something like that xD

So, the definitive qüestion is: Which is the metagame I should look for?

PD: Should I consider Infect decks (the cheapest ones) to play Legacy? And should I consider the "Graveborn premium series deck" to start making a good reanimator?
Don't play infect in legacy.  It's not that good.  You could make a decent budget reanimator deck from the graveborn stuff like you said, in fact there is already budget reanimator list being discussed here on the forum.  
There are plenty of strong decks that are also not a hole in the wallet a probably mono-colored decks like goblins, burn, and elf combo and other decks with fairly cheap manabases like dredge.
Hope that helps 
Monoblack Aggro isn't that good. Reanimator (with the Graveborn cards) and Dredge are solid. Combo elves also works as does Goblinds. I'm not sure, but 12-land Stompy builds could also function to some degree.
LEDless Dredge and Elves can go nuts if we're talking about a 200-300$ deck. Both are very good, I personally play dredge and I find it awesome. Took me a while to get used to it, learn even the most awkward card interractions, but it's a really nice deck.

If we're up to 600$ decks, I like High Tide a lot. Many say it's a difficult deck to play, it requires tons of playtesting to get used to it, but this is exactly where the point is: such decks "teach" you how to play. You can learn from your mistakes far more easily from them, because they're far more visible and you pay them dearly if you make them.

A mono-black list top 8'd at StarCityGames.com 2011 Invitational. Here's the list: www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=73... But I may warn you, it can come at a high cost if I've estimated correctly. That one Nether Void costs about 78$, not to mention the playsets of Liliana 2.0 and Sinkhole.
In my opinion, Pox can still work without Sinkholes or Liliana. This makes it a lot cheaper. The Wastelands still aren't that cheap though.
I think MBA - like The Gate or Pox - is positioned to do well right now. But I feel people like playing their brainstorms, FoW, and Knight of the Reliquary, so it doesn't seem much play.

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

I am knowledgable about non-rotating formats. I usually have no idea about Standard.

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

LEDless Dredge and Elves can go nuts if we're talking about a 200-300$ deck

Ummmm no.... what versions are you playing?  Dredge cost me about $150 and Elves is pretty cheap if you keep yourself at 1 or 2 Gaea's Cradles.

Also decks like Zoo are in that middle ~$500 tier and can be pretty fun/easy to learn 

Ummmm no.... what versions are you playing?  Dredge cost me about $150 and Elves is pretty cheap if you keep yourself at 1 or 2 Gaea's Cradles.

Also decks like Zoo are in that middle ~$500 tier and can be pretty fun/easy to learn 

Zoo? Really? 6+ duals, 12 fetches, and goyfs suggest a bit more than $500.

I agree, aggro elves can be pretty good for dirt cheap (relative to other legacy decks).

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

I am knowledgable about non-rotating formats. I usually have no idea about Standard.

Im just goin word of mouth here.  My friend made zoo recently and claims he spent a little more than $500 maybe like $550.  He might have gotten some crazy deals or something

4x Tarmogoyf alone is 290 dollars based on Motl prices. 12+ fetches should be around 230. The duals would be around 300-400. The other stuff would count up to around 100-200 depending on the prices.

500 is basically impossible for zoo.

Eh, concerning Dredge, 200$ roughly. I'm talking about how much it would cost now however, it cost me about 150$ too, but those Bridges have gotten up to 20$. Maybe I'm wrong, dunno.

Nope, Zoo is a 900-1000$ deck, if I'm not mistaken. What the others said is correct, 12 Fetches, a playset of Tarmogoyfs and 5-6 duals are impossible to find in the price of 500$. Unless the cards are washed or something.
So moral of the story, if you want to play a cheap legacy deck play mono-color (and probably avoid blue cause of FoW)
I hear Paraselene is a good, cheap deck that really takes your opponent by surprise.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
If you want to go cheap you do one of the following

(a) play LEDless Dredge, whose cards have recently gone up in prices. You will almost always face hate postboard and sometimes preboard. Dredge is not very well positioned ATM, you absolutely need to use LED or Firestorm.

(b) play Affinity, you can build it very cheap, but once in a while you will get totally nuked by Pernicious Deed

(c) play Aggro Elves - and face Perish postboard

(d) play Monored Burn - and face lifegain

(e) play White Weenie/Death and Taxes/Soul Sisters - these might be actually good-ish if you have Vials and Mystics, by virtue of not caring about counters and Stifles and Wastelands.

This subject must have been done to death by now...
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!

(a) play LEDless Dredge, whose cards have recently gone up in prices. You will almost always face hate postboard and sometimes preboard. Dredge is not very well positioned ATM, you absolutely need to use LED or Firestorm.

False. Dredge has a good matchup against 5 of the 8 DtB currently. ANT, Maverick, and Reanimator are the only bad ones and we have sideboard cards available for each to make it less awful. The only one of those decks that should have additional hate for dredge is Maverick, which is admittedly a terrible pairing. Luckily, Maverick is played in EU more than North America.

While the subject itself has been done to death, changes in the metagame make certain "budget-friendly" decks viable while others become obsolete.

While the subject itself has been done to death, changes in the metagame make certain "budget-friendly" decks viable while others become obsolete.

It doesn't help that we don't have a place to point people to which has the information that has been done to death. There was a budget thread a long time ago, should we bump that to the front page?

It may be old hat to the veteran posters here, but to a new person (both on the boards and in the format) budget decklists are very relevant and brand new.

Dredge has a good matchup against 5 of the 8 DtB currently. ANT, Maverick, and Reanimator are the only bad ones and we have sideboard cards available for each to make it less awful. The only one of those decks that should have additional hate for dredge is Maverick, which is admittedly a terrible pairing. Luckily, Maverick is played in EU more than North America.

It doesn't quite look that way from where I'm standing. A lot of people are playing 3-4 Snapcaster Mage in Thresh and Team America and Stoneblade and and they all have around 3 Surgical Extractions to cast and recast with it, which means an uphill battle postboard.

In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
which means an uphill battle postboard.

Isn't this the way it has always been with dredge?  We still manage to pull through somehow... Laughing

Isn't this the way it has always been with dredge?  We still manage to pull through somehow... 

Aye, but when they run Snapcaster, every Surgical Extraction counts double. I don't think I've ever won a game without either Ichorid or Bridge from Below, and if they draw into Extraction and Snapcaster, one is likely to have neither. To make things worse, even if you Cabal Therapy their Extraction, they may still get to recast it.

Isn't this the way it has always been with dredge?  We still manage to pull through somehow... 

Aye, but when they run Snapcaster, every Surgical Extraction counts double. I don't think I've ever won a game without either Ichorid or Bridge from Below, and if they draw into Extraction and Snapcaster, one is likely to have neither. To make things worse, even if you Cabal Therapy their Extraction, they may still get to recast it.

First of all, never therapy Extraction unless you are trying to force them to use it cause they can cast it for free.  They will just respond and rip apart your grave.  If you want to therapy them for it, try Snapcaster.
Second, Purify the Grave/Coffin Purge will win you games.  yes, it's not ideal (having to remove one of your own cards) but it keeps you from losing and as we all know, dredge has a tendency to be able to pull off wins out of nowhere. Also, Purify/Purge are awesome offensively, removing their Snapcaster target in responce to them playing the dam mage
You don't name the card until resolution. So they'd have to do it before they knew what you're naming. 
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)

First of all, never therapy Extraction unless you are trying to force them to use it cause they can cast it for free.  They will just respond and rip apart your grave.  If you want to therapy them for it, try Snapcaster.
Second, Purify the Grave/Coffin Purge will win you games.  yes, it's not ideal (having to remove one of your own cards) but it keeps you from losing and as we all know, dredge has a tendency to be able to pull off wins out of nowhere. Also, Purify/Purge are awesome offensively, removing their Snapcaster target in responce to them playing the dam mage

IMHO as graveyard hate Dredge should run Leyline of the Void or Faerie Macabre. The first conveniently happens to protect your Bridges, while the second is Ichorid food. But I don't think it's a good idea to board in graveyard hate against decks packing Snapcaster, it's only going to help against Snapcaster and no other part of their gameplan. At any rate, Cabal Therapy naming Extraction, and Unmask, is to the best of my knowledge, the only way to protect your Bridges and Ichorids, before they hit the graveyard. Admittedly it's a bit iffy because they can hide valuable cards using Brainstorm...

Also, what Tequilasaurus said.

Also also, you don't exile the Snapcaster target in response to them playing Snapcaster, you do it in response to them putting the ETB ability on the stack, duh.
Coffin Purge is multidimensional and the best answer we have for Extraction at this point. You can use it in response to their Snapcaster's ability on the stack, like mako said. You can also use it on your own binned card in response to an Extraction from their hand, to save the remaining copies in your deck. 

The other option for Extraction + Snapcaster is to run game-winning Dread Return targets. I haven't tested this option, although something like Inkwell Leviathan fits the bill well. I know the point of Dread Return isn't to bring back creatures the way Reanimator wants to, but this may work. You're right that they'll usually go for Ichorid and Bridges first. That's why the creature you bring back has to be game-breaking because you may not be getting tokens and you may not have inevitability.

Look, I know why people are saying Dredge is in a bad position right now and that's because it fell off Deck to Beat status. That has more to do with the number of people playing Dredge than the relative success of the few players who are playing it. Even with it's sharp decrease in numbers, it's the first runner-up to break back into DtB status.
Coffin Purge is multidimensional and the best answer we have for Extraction at this point. You can use it in response to their Snapcaster's ability on the stack, like mako said. You can also use it on your own binned card in response to an Extraction from their hand, to save the remaining copies in your deck. 

Thing is, Coffin Purge is hopeless against Reanimator: it can be countered, and it costs mana, meaning you probably won't be able to pay 1 for Daze. You're also unlikely to be able to cast and recast it in the same turn. If you dredge into Coffin Purge, they will see it, and will be able to plan for it. Against Reanimator you want Faerie Macabre or Leyline of the Void. In the Dredge mirror you definitely want Leyline. So there's just little reason to play Coffin Purge. 

The other option for Extraction + Snapcaster is to run game-winning Dread Return targets. I haven't tested this option, although something like Inkwell Leviathan fits the bill well. I know the point of Dread Return isn't to bring back creatures the way Reanimator wants to, but this may work. You're right that they'll usually go for Ichorid and Bridges first. That's why the creature you bring back has to be game-breaking because you may not be getting tokens and you may not have inevitability.

Golgari Grave-Troll is supposed to be that. Other than that, Angel of Despair or Iona will do the job.

Thing is, Coffin Purge is hopeless against Reanimator: it can be countered, and it costs mana, meaning you probably won't be able to pay 1 for Daze. You're also unlikely to be able to cast and recast it in the same turn. If you dredge into Coffin Purge, they will see it, and will be able to plan for it. Against Reanimator you want Faerie Macabre or Leyline of the Void. In the Dredge mirror you definitely want Leyline. So there's just little reason to play Coffin Purge.  

Coffin Purge costs one, like every other spell in the deck. Do we not play Pimp, Tribe, Careful Study, Breakthrough, or Therapy because counterspells and Wasteland exists? This is like the lame, old argument, "dies to removal."

Every time a Leyline is written down on a deck list, I cringe. The odds tell us you'll have to mulligan to find one, negating DDD as an option (or slowing it down too much) where it would often be relevant because they're blue. If you don't find a Leyline, how far do you mulligan until you stop? Even if you do find one, you now have three dead cards in your deck that you can't cast if drawn or utilize from your graveyard if dredged. It's also like playing War, relying on luck rather than skill. Plus, they sit on the battlefield, so I don't know how that's different than a Purge being in your yard. Additionally, Purge can be drawn or dredged later in the game and still be useful. Cards we bin are practically the same as in-hand only less Jedi-like.  Reanimator also plays bouce out of the board, you know... just like Dredge. Or they use Show and Tell in which case Leyline or Purge are moot.

Macabre is much better than Leyline, but suffers from the same fault that it has to be in your hand. Nothing sucks more than trying to mulligan into a sideboard card unsuccessfully.

It's just a bad matchup. I think Leyline is a bad card though and wouldn't use it unless the metagame warranted it maindeck and only if I had sufficient Swamps to cast it later.

I feel you're talking from speculation and theory, where I have experience with Purge and yes, it works, and yes, there is reason to play it. It won me a match I would have otherwise lost against UW in my last tournament, for example.

Golgari Grave-Troll is supposed to be that. Other than that, Angel of Despair or Iona will do the job.

The decks that use Snapcaster + Extraction are largely UW or RUG. Against UW, you don't want to Dread Return a GGT. They have a lot of ways to avoid Therapy from taking their StP or they'll let it happen and use Snapcaster into Plow again. Against RUG, GGT might be good enough since they play cards like Bolt for removal. It should also be said that Extraction on GGT is a good play, where Extraction on a one-of target you brought in g2 is not. Meaning you may need a DR-target since those dredge 6ers may be gone.

My point was that Inkwell Leviathan would cover both matchups at the cost of one sideboard slot. That's not unreasonable. I'm not certain Leviathan is necessary, just thinking out loud there.
I feel you're talking from speculation and theory

Well, no, I'm talking from testing against Reanimator which, in my opinion is not a matchup that can be given up... I also believe in running uncounterable things whenever possible, because it's not always possible to protect from or bait a counterspell.

@Inkwell Leviathan

True, in the board he makes sense.
I meant I thought you were speculating about Coffin Purge. I didn't mean to accuse you of not playing the deck and testing matchups. My bad.

Iona is probably better than Inkwell though. Iona is much less narrow. You'd only ever bring in Inkwell against UW/x decks, where on the other hand, Iona can randomly hose Elves, Burn, Goblin, Reanimator (if you're lucky), 2-color blue decks, Spiral Tide, and so on.

Over at the source, people are talking about Nether Shadow, Bloodghast, Dakmor Salvage, Ashen Ghoul, and Phantasmagorian builds that still run gold lands in order to avoid Extraction on Ichorid from crippling us so badly. It's kind of a hybrid of manaless and traditional builds. Seems interesting, to say the least.

(b) play Affinity, you can build it very cheap, but once in a while you will get totally nuked by Pernicious Deed

(c) play Aggro Elves - and face Perish postboard

(d) play Monored Burn - and face lifegain

(e) play White Weenie/Death and Taxes/Soul Sisters - these might be actually good-ish if you have Vials and Mystics, by virtue of not caring about counters and Stifles and Wastelands.

That's the conclusion, thanks

The decks I've found are the following

a) LEDless dredge (price about 200$)

b) Affinity (about 110$)
[deck]

4 Cranial Plating
3 Etched Champion
4 Frogmite
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Master of Etherium
4 Memnite
3 Mox Opal