2012 MOCS details are UP!!!

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

12 seasons - 4 weeks each
start Jan 4th
QP are items removed from collection after seaon champs
2 LCQ
limited formats are phantom events
no opt out - all qualified get promo awarded automatically prior to event
top 64 get foil promo (up from top 32)
16 players in the championship which will be held in 2013 (I assume at GenCon but not announced yet)

Does that about sum it up?

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Oh yeah...
Prizes are better! Complete foil set to winner!!! I assume one of every card available in foil.... Wonder if that includes promos?
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Not to burst your bubble, but to clarify: 

"PRIZES: Prizes for "Top 8" events are based on placement at the end of the tournament. The booster pack and complete set prizes for each End-of-Season Championship will be selected by Wizards of the Coast from a current Magic: The Gathering set or expansion available in Magic Online at the time of the event. "

You will get 1 premium foil or standard non-foil set that matches the booster pack prizes. 

Chris

. . .

So, Wizards is cutting prizes again

Mostly everything sounds great. Removing opt-out kind of sucks but at least it makes more sense than this:

Please Note: Limited format events (booster draft and sealed deck) will use Phantom product. This means that cards used in the event will not be added to players' collections at the end of the event.

grumble... Really? Giving people 90 cards was too much?

We have started down the path where all limited events are phantom and the only way to get singles will be cracking packs.   

. . .

So, Wizards is cutting prizes again

Not sure if you noticed, but it also looks like the people that participate in the limited MOCS don't actually get any product from it, because they will be phantom events.

So, yeah, it's literally a prize cut, in that regard.

Perhaps it's more of a way to prevent the people that earn 15 qps on several accounts and then just cash those in for their 6 boosters x N accounts.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Well no opt out means I will not care as much for qualifying this year, seeing as I qualified for each event but one but didn't play in any. 
Not to burst your bubble, but to clarify: 

"PRIZES: Prizes for "Top 8" events are based on placement at the end of the tournament. The booster pack and complete set prizes for each End-of-Season Championship will be selected by Wizards of the Coast from a current Magic: The Gathering set or expansion available in Magic Online at the time of the event. "

You will get 1 premium foil or standard non-foil set that matches the booster pack prizes. 

Chris

Ouch second prize is worth less than 3/4th?
second is  ~110 (current value of innistrad complete no-foil set sell price)
3/4 is 54  x4 = 216 (heck even if packs dip to 3 162 >110

maybe you should rethink that.

C'mon Wotc! I would imagine it to be heartbreaking to get second place in a MOCS. Just give them a foil standard set. It's the least you can do. 

And the fact that the limited event is phantom really sucks. But I would trade it anyday to get better prizes more MOCS slots and top 64 foil promo.

Overall really happy with the changes! 
I'm guessing making the limited seasons phantom was done to restore parity with the constructed seasons. There's always been a bit of inequity there. Then, once limited events are phantom, it gets rid of the need to have the opt-out, which was in place primarily to stop people from joining and not playing. They don't really want to be paying people *not* to play.

Excluding that, the prizes are definitely increased. With the insertion of a full set at 2nd, all the other old prizes were just pushed down a level, so 3-4th each get the old 2nd prizes, 5-8 each get the old 3-4 prizes, etc. That means twice as many boosters given in prizes. First place however has dropped in value significantly. First, the $100k is spread over 16 players instead of 12. Also, only the ultimate winner gets an invite to Worlds 2013.

12 Seasons, which will cover most of the year, is definitely a welcome and needed change.

There seems to be an error in the post, as they have left off the three byes for 45+ on the bye chart. Since the QP range for two byes is still bounded at the top, I assume this is just a mistake.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I'm guessing making the limited seasons phantom was done to restore parity with the constructed seasons. There's always been a bit of inequity there. Then, once limited events are phantom, it gets rid of the need to have the opt-out, which was in place primarily to stop people from joining and not playing. They don't really want to be paying people *not* to play.

Excluding that, the prizes are definitely increased. With the insertion of a full set at 2nd, all the other old prizes were just pushed down a level, so 3-4th each get the old 2nd prizes, 5-8 each get the old 3-4 prizes, etc. That means twice as many boosters given in prizes. First place however has dropped in value significantly. First, the $100k is spread over 16 players instead of 12. Also, only the ultimate winner gets an invite to Worlds 2013.

12 Seasons, which will cover most of the year, is definitely a welcome and needed change.

There seems to be an error in the post, as they have left off the three byes for 45+ on the bye chart. Since the QP range for two byes is still bounded at the top, I assume this is just a mistake.

Man, I didn't notice the lack of Worlds invitation. Thats lame! However I guess it must be done now that Worlds is only a 16 man event. What has WotC done! MOCS is now less important because if you win one you don't just get an invite to the Pro Tour. Bring Worlds back!
Man, I didn't notice the lack of Worlds invitation. Thats lame! However I guess it must be done now that Worlds is only a 16 man event. What has WotC done! MOCS is now less important because if you win one you don't just get an invite to the Pro Tour. Bring Worlds back!

Well, it's possible that the MOCS championship will be at some PT in 2013. And at least the champion get one of those exclusive 16 spots.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

The chart has been correceted.  Players can only earn 2 byes for an End-of-Season championship. 

QPsBenefit
15-24Qualified for End-of-Season Championship
25-34Qualified for End-of-Season Championship with one awarded bye
35+Qualified for End-of-Season Championship with two awarded byes

Sorry for any confusion. 

The chart has been correceted.  Players can only earn 2 byes for an End-of-Season championship. 

QPsBenefit

Sorry for any confusion. 

I like this change! Gives other people who don't get 3 byes a chance in constructed events. Now what are you guys going to do about the prize support for second place?

QPsBenefit

Sorry for any confusion.

Can we get an explanation for this?

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

QPsBenefit

Sorry for any confusion.

Can we get an explanation for this?

Sure. In short, not enough players earned the third bye to justify the complication it created in pairings. Many of the issues we had last year with 10 rounds not being enough rounds of Magic to avoid a X-1 not reaching the top 8 can be attributed to virtual players created by the 3rd bye.

Is that actually true?  I thought it was put in place so that people that were unable to make the tournament for whatever reason still got *something* for playing enough to qualify.

Also, I wonder if this is real reason they made phantom events. . .  And if so, that means they prioritize fixes that make the game worse for their players

Oh well, at least other companies are starting to make good games again.  
Is that actually true?  I thought it was put in place so that people that were unable to make the tournament for whatever reason still got *something* for playing enough to qualify. 

It's just conjecture on my part, but I don't see a reason WotC needs or wants to reward players who miss a free event. Paper players aren't given consolation prizes if they are unable to attend Pro Tour events they qualify for, and that's a lot harder.
Also, I wonder if this is real reason they made phantom events. . .  And if so, that means they prioritize fixes that make the game worse for their players increase profit

FTFY

I don't believe this is the reason they made phantom events. It certainly isn't the *only* reason. I still think phantom events are the stepping stone to cube online, which is heavily desired by the players.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

12 seasons - 4 weeks each
start Jan 4th
QP are items removed from collection after seaon champs
2 LCQ
limited formats are phantom events
top 64 get foil promo (up from top 32)
16 players in the championship which will be held in 2013 (I assume at GenCon but not announced yet)

Does that about sum it up?

Nope. Everyone seems to have missed probably the most important change...

Player of the Year: Wizards of the Coast will track the cumulative Qualifier Points (QPs) of each player and maintain the following Player of the Year leaderboards: Constructed and Limited. After the end of the twelfth season, players who are ranked in the top 150 of each leaderboard will be invited to play in the 2012 Magic Online Player of the Year Championship tournament held on December 15, 2012. The winner of the Player of the Year Championship will be invited to participate in the 2012 Magic Online Championship.

Focus on that paragraph for a second. There are no longer any splits in the formats, save for constructed vs limited.  That means that a classic tournament will count for points in the same area that a Standard tournament would.  Last year for example, there was a POTY for:
Overall, Standard Constructed, Block Constructed, Extended Constructed, Legacy Constructed, Specialty Constructed, Booster Draft, and Sealed Deck.

Personally, sounds like the death knell for every constructed format that isn't Standard.  If you are gunning for a POTY, you now MUST play STD, whereas in previous years you could be, say, the POTY for Specialty formats.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Maybe they can do something g else entirely for specialy format players?
That would be really cool.
Wait that's a negative change I thought that was a positive one.  I mean the speciality formats will still be in constructed so they'll still count for the totals.  Unless you mean that you wanted to qualify by playing fewer events in which case still a positive as it gets rid of weaker players.  I mean how many points did the extended winner have 50?  Speciality 80?  Nope neither of those deserve to be in the POTY race by themselves.
Wait that's a negative change I thought that was a positive one.  I mean the speciality formats will still be in constructed so they'll still count for the totals.  Unless you mean that you wanted to qualify by playing fewer events in which case still a positive as it gets rid of weaker players.  I mean how many points did the extended winner have 50?  Speciality 80?  Nope neither of those deserve to be in the POTY race by themselves.

I don't think my post was commenting on it as being a negative or postive change - just merely the biggest change.

And it depends on your point of view.  If you are a STD player, it's very positive - now you can get points for playing other formats.

If you prefered to take a crack at a specialty format only, or say only sealed deck - too bad.  You have to play STD or draft as well - that's a negative.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but you have to understand that you are looking at it form an angle of someone who plays in a lot of events - and of course that's what angle WoTC would prefer you to look at it from as well.  It behooves their bottom line to make people grind for the win - that being said, there are a number of players who feel grinding for a chance at glory isn't representative of POTY or conducive to their playstyle, or that it's not really representative of the actual "Player of the Year" - believe me when I tell you I have had this conversation many times with many people who feel strongly that just because they can only get in events on a weekend (and maybe one or 2 at that)  that it should not prohibit them from being player of the year.

As a further example,  Imagine the Pro-Tour POTY wasn't decided by the PT events as you see now, but was instead decided by an additional 3,000 much smaller events.  Would you think the same people would end up Pro-Tour POTY?  Would that person be the POTY in your estimation?

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
well idk im pretty upset about the loss of the 3rd bye, as I believe that I definitely have had some months where I was close and had to play more than I'd like to get it.  I assumed by calling something a death knell that there was some negativity there.  Actually you're prolly still fine playing only sealed decks, but I see where you're going.  Ultimately I see this as there were 20 people (extended and speciality) who didn't have nearly as many qp'es as everyone else in the POTY championship.  Well prolly only 13ish 8 from speciality and 5 fomr extended as the other 7ish would be q'ed as they were actual grinders.  Honestly POTY as wizards describes it is a grinding fest there is no question there.  I'm sorry that there are people who think they can play once-twice a week and because they picked a format that isn't played by as many that they can be POTY.  An example of this would be saying that the vintage world championships at gen con should qualify you for the actual world championships.

As for your example say after those 3000 extra events there was a tourney where the top 150 in 2 diff formats q'ed for a tourney where the winner was decided to be POTY.  I might be willing to accept that one.  Now imagine that there were people that wanted to sneak in by playing formats that few others wanted to, to get a slot in this.  Are these people more deserving of a slot than someone who played the formats the tourney is in, and played 4-5 times as much?  WOTC would say no.  Or are we supposed to switch the formats every year to acoomadate this.  Because man I would love to see POTY decided by momir.  (the 2nd most played speciality format)
The POTY changes are similar to the philosophy behind the Planeswalker Points.

I don't have an opinion about this change, but I think it would be nice if there was some way to determine, for example, how good of a Classic player you were compared to other active Classic players.
I still think it'd be smarter for them to keep the categories for the player of the year race (classic, legacy, etc).  It basically only forces them to do a little book keeping (might be really hard, but they did it last year, so the tools should be in place).  For that (seemingly) little bit of effort, they have a really good mechanism in place to promote these specialty formats.  There will be at least a handful of people that'll try and get the spot(s) to play in the PoY tourney, lending the specialty events a handful of reliable participants rather than having them die from low attendance (which is what I think is going to happen).

Of course, this could be them throwing in the towel for the specialty formats after years of trying to make them successful.  They may be done trying to promote these.  Afterall, Masques has just been released and there may not ever be another master's edition released, so they could just not care about the classic/legacy formats anymore...

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
i cant believe you guys are being so naive.  the only reason to move to pahntom events is cutitng the prize. lame prizes  just became lamer and again they will get away with it
idk with an extra couple hundred packs in the prize pool per tourney if half are limited and half cons it's 400ish more packs proly more too lazy to count.  At that amount it's actually better for us overall.
Also, I wonder if this is real reason they made phantom events. . .  And if so, that means they prioritize fixes that make the game worse for their players increase profit

FTFY

I don't believe this is the reason they made phantom events. It certainly isn't the *only* reason. I still think phantom events are the stepping stone to cube online, which is heavily desired by the players.

Okay.  If we get cube drafting before one of these phantom MOCS goes off, I will freely admit that cube drafting was in fact the reason they implemented it.

As for your "fix", note that the two statements don't disagree - they choose to increase their profits in ways which make the service worse for their customers. . . just like Netflix did.