It seems I was right about the reserved list afterall . It only serves to devalue the cards.

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
magiccards.info/ch/en/92.html . Chronicles City Of Brass . This is really exhibit 'A' and always proved what my point is about the reserved list . It doesn't serve the interests of dealers, collectors, or players. This print of City Of Brass is worth only about $2-3 . 

magiccards.info/an/en/85.html . Arabian Nights original black border City Of Brass. This is what holds value for collectors, original black border of iconic cards . For a long time this card has had a considerable collector value over that of the white border reprints, you can see the range in value of City of Brass namely from condition, or whether or not it is graded. It can be in the range of $20-80 . Usually around $35-40 .

This value is comparable to other rare and sought after cards.

magiccards.info/lg/en/27.html . Nether Void

here is a card that has actually fallen in value.

If you relegate a card to obscurity it will lose value.

if you reprint it on a semi regular basis it will hold it's iconic status.

By keeping the reserved list policy WOTC is only strangling the collectibility of the game.

Case in point,
Cards like Mana Vortex

For a while this was worth $4-7 .

Now it's worth like a dollar.

magiccards.info/dk/en/30.html

How has the reserved list protected the status of this card? 
He's back!! Where's my popcorn?
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
If you relegate a card to obscurity it will lose value.

Or if, you know, it stops being tournament viable and therefor the only printings that hold value are the rarest ones.

Because nobody cares about Cities of Brass from Chronicles... Or 5th. Or 6th, 7th, or 8th.

Little hint for you, cards that see no tournament play in any format they are legal in lose value.

Compare the value of an Alpha Shanodin Dryads with an Alpha Lightning Bolt. The Dryads top out at two bucks. The Bolt, which is of equal rarity, is $30. I promise you, if Bolt was not a staple card it wouldn't be worth 15 times as much as a junk card of equal rarity. Before it was reprinted in M10 Bolt was still worth a lot of money, dispite the fact that it had not been Standard legal since 5th edition replaced 4th as the core set.

But, hey, don't let me stop you from making yet another baseless gripe against the reserved list.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Rancor dies to in-response removal.
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
You can't ban rancor, it just returns to your deck.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
Indeed, both posters down there would be thrilled.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
4. donate them a platinum angel
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
One part of the statement being true=/=the whole statement true.
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
why did Garruk Relentless lose a loyalty counter
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
You're such an obvious troll that you have hexproof and : Regenerate.
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
Dilleux_Lepaire just won the thread.
57461258 wrote:
And, as usual, Dilleux wins the entire thread. Nice work, sir, nice work.
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
Wow, holy doggy poop, kids, obvious statement is obvious.
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
I haven't tried the app. How is its use of English grammar? Cheers!
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Sorin opens You
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
Torpor Orb is absolutely godawful against Vexing Devil.
whoever is playing vexing devil is probably losing anyways
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Albus Dumbledore, The Lord of the Rings.
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
Then we shall play in the shade.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
Now show me on the Garruk doll where Zac Hill ruined your enjoyment of Magic...
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.

If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?

Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

Smoke_Stack wrote:

EDH is the best format anyway

See, it's starting already.

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
Week 1 : Xenograft
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Week 2 : Mindlock Orb
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Week 3 : Bludgeon Brawl
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
Week 4 : Followed Footsteps
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
Week 5 : Delaying Shield
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
Week 6 : Painter's Servant
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
Week 7 : Venser, the Sojourner
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
Week 8 : Personal Sanctuary
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
Week 9 : Sundial of the Infinite
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
Week 10 : Jace's Archivist
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
Week 11 : Search the City
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
Week 12 : Fiend Hunter
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
Week 13 : Clock of Omens
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
Week 14 : Light of Sanction
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
Week 15 : Assemble the Legion
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
Week 16 : High Tide
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
Week 17 : Illusionist's Bracers
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
Week 18 : Savor the Moment
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
Week 19 : Grinning Ignus
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
Week 20 : Transcendence
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
Week 21 : Mortus Strider
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
Week 22 : High Priest of Penance
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
Week 23 : False Cure
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

Week 24 : Akroan Horse

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

Winner : Dknowle's "Indian Giver".

Week 25 : Leylines

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

Winner : POSValkir1's "Laying the Battle Lines".

Escef, you missed how this thread about cards that get reprinted. If you look at the records for the price of lightning bolt , you will see a spike when it was reprinted. However, the dryads were not reprinted. try comparing a card that was not reprinted to a card that was reprinted, and the reprints will always have a higher value, as long as they are both similar tournament quality.
D&D 4E Herald and M:tG Rules Advisor I expect posters to follow the Code of Conduct, use Basic Etiquette, and avoid Poor Logic. If you don't follow these guidelines, I consider you to be disrespectful to everyone on these forums. If you respond to me without following these guidelines, I consider it a personal attack. I grew up in a bilingual household, which means I am familiar with the difficulties in adopting a different vocabulary and grammar. That doesn't bother me. Persistent use of bad capitalization, affirming the consequent, and flaming bother me a great deal.
Rule that I would change: 204.1b
204.1b Some effects change an object’s card type, supertype, or subtype but specify that the object retains a prior card type, supertype, or subtype. In such cases, all the object’s prior card types, supertypes, and subtypes are retained. This rule applies to effects that use the phrase “in addition to its types” or that state that something is “still a [card type].” Some effects state that an object becomes an “artifact creature”; these effects also allow the object to retain all of its prior card types and subtypes.
"Eight Edition Rules Update" We eventually decided not to change this template, because players are used to “becomes an artifact creature,” and like it much better.
Players were used to Combat on the Stack, but you got rid of that because it was unintuitive. The only phrase needed is "in addition to its types"; the others are misleading and unintuitive.
Escef, you missed how this thread about cards that get reprinted. If you look at the records for the price of lightning bolt , you will see a spike when it was reprinted. However, the dryads were not reprinted. try comparing a card that was not reprinted to a card that was reprinted, and the reprints will always have a higher value, as long as they are both similar tournament quality.

Yes, but value is determined more by play value than anything else. If City of Brass was reprinted today I don't think it would be the power card it once was. And it certainly would do little for the price of Chronicles, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th printings. The original Arabian Nights printing would see a spike in value just because people would want the older printing as a way to show off. The other printings? Pfft, no one would care. Just like I highly doubt that Chronicles, 5th, and Mirage Divine Offerings saw much of a price shift when it was reprinted in Besieged. Maybe, just maybe, the original Legends printings spiked slightly.

However, his argument that not being reprinted lowers a card's value is facetious. About the only time not being reprinted lowers a card's value is when it rotates out of Standard and proves to not be of equal value in eternal formats as it was in Standard. Many of the older cards that go down in value do not go down because they are out of print, they go down because they are not useful in eternal formats. Does anyone play Nether Void or Mana Vortex in Legacy or Vintage? No. (And neither could be reprinted today, they are both way too far out of the modern color pie. Vortex is more red or black, and Void is blue or white.)

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Let me guess, you own a bunch of those obsolete cards that will never see a reprint again because they are simply completely outmatched by the more recent cards, so those cards are losing value even if they are "rare" (as in there's not many of them in circulation) and you'd like WoTC to reprint some underpowered cards so your collection would gain value? Is that a good assumption?

There's a reason why a lot of the older cards will never see reprint, they are either insanely overpowered or completely outclassed. Mana Drain completely overpowered, while Invisible Stalker completely outmatch all of the older cards with similar cost/abilities like Metathran Soldier
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Here we go again.

The only reason those cards devalued is because one is useless and the other ahs been reprinted several times. Look at some of the other cards on the reserved list that are useful, they have sky rocketed. Checkmate is Force of Will and the original duals. It wasn't long ago that you could get any single one of them for around $20. 
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Shivan Dragon

magiccards.info/be/en/176.html . Beta . $200+
magiccards.info/un/en/175.html . Unlimited . $10-15~

Lich *Reserved List* Rare . 

magiccards.info/be/en/22.html . Beta . $60
magiccards.info/un/en/22.html . Unlimited . $20-25

Sinkhole . Beta . $40~

This is effectively my argument, 

In order to support the reserved list, you would have to defend it based on its usefulness in a vaccum.

How is a card protected by the reserved list, regardless of how great a card it is, worth only $60 in original print, and while other cards like Birds Of Paradise and Shivan Dragon are worth considerably more .

Note,

These cards in original print are worth more than some of the dual lands.

There is no reason to keep the reserved list in place, and the evidence points to the list harming the value of cards, not increasing it

Time Elemental

magiccards.info/lg/en/81.html . $4-5~

This is a card not on the reserved list. Was never on the reserved list. It is worth considerably more than most cards on the reserved list SIMPLY BECAUSE it was reprinted more than once, and people know what it is. 
Actually, according to economics, the Reserved list will only serve to increase the price of cards. Supply is constant, because it is no longer being produced. So, the only thing affecting the price is demand, which has an inverse relationship with price.

Thus, the price is determined solely by how many people want the card. A card on the reserved list in high demand will be worth more, due to the smaller demand. All the cards that are on there that are worth less are merely that undesirable. Your last argument regarding Time element is invalid. Is it being off the Reserved list the only possible explanation? Could it be that more people want it than they want many of the other cards on the reserved list. Reprinting may have something to do with it, but then so could the fact that it is better than many of those other cards.

Correlation =/= proof. There can be third factors involved, which in this case include playability, to determine demand.

Also, WotC also dislikes the banlist, but they've already agreed they cannot get rid of it, because then consumers would lose faith in WotC's practices. Although it happens sometimes, WotC would rather keep faith in its consumers than destroy something that they don't like. 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Again, I want to know what's your take on this? Do you want to see the beta duals (beta duals being an example among many other overpowered cards) reprinted because they would be helpful to the magic community or do you want to see your collection value increase by reprint of some cards and thus a renewed need for those cards?

I'd hate to see a lot of the earlier cards reprinted, some of them were insanely broken and should remain banned. As much as I'd like to see the beta duals reprinted, I believe they would break the game and secondary market. Imagine the price they would fetch on the secondary market if you introduced them in standard. It's  already expensive to make a decent deck in standard and most people cannot be competitive because of that, imagine that you have 60$ duals instead of 5-10$ duals.

They will never be reprinted for the sake of the game, not for the sake of your collection's price on the secondary market.
Shivan Dragon

magiccards.info/be/en/176.html . Beta . $200+
magiccards.info/un/en/175.html . Unlimited . $10-15~

Lich *Reserved List* Rare . 

magiccards.info/be/en/22.html . Beta . $60
magiccards.info/un/en/22.html . Unlimited . $20-25

Sinkhole . Beta . $40~

This is effectively my argument, 

In order to support the reserved list, you would have to defend it based on its usefulness in a vaccum.

How is a card protected by the reserved list, regardless of how great a card it is, worth only $60 in original print, and while other cards like Birds Of Paradise and Shivan Dragon are worth considerably more .

Note,

These cards in original print are worth more than some of the dual lands.

There is no reason to keep the reserved list in place, and the evidence points to the list harming the value of cards, not increasing it

Time Elemental

magiccards.info/lg/en/81.html . $4-5~

This is a card not on the reserved list. Was never on the reserved list. It is worth considerably more than most cards on the reserved list SIMPLY BECAUSE it was reprinted more than once, and people know what it is. 

Lich's value is based on the fact that it is Lich, I've played since alpha and have only used it in one build that I can recall. Birds of Paradise on the other hand have been a 4 of in tons and tons of decks I built, Alpha/beta birds are VERY rare I had a play set of them and I've only ever seen 2 others have 4 of them in like 17 years worth of magic. Shivan Dragon is expensive because it was one of the most iconic cards ever, playablitiy wise there are many more powerful options nowdays.

<----- Loser.

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.

If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?

Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

Smoke_Stack wrote:

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

Again, I want to know what's your take on this? Do you want to see the beta duals (beta duals being an example among many other overpowered cards) reprinted because they would be helpful to the magic community or do you want to see your collection value increase by reprint of some cards and thus a renewed need for those cards?

I'd hate to see a lot of the earlier cards reprinted, some of them were insanely broken and should remain banned. As much as I'd like to see the beta duals reprinted, I believe they would break the game and secondary market. Imagine the price they would fetch on the secondary market if you introduced them in standard. It's  already expensive to make a decent deck in standard and most people cannot be competitive because of that, imagine that you have 60$ duals instead of 5-10$ duals.

They will never be reprinted for the sake of the game, not for the sake of your collection's price on the secondary market.

What makes you think they'd have to be printed in a standard legal set?

Entomb recently got a reprint, and it's still not in standard. That's as clear an example as I could possibly give, I think.

{sigh} Y'know, that probably is the second best idea. The best is to ignore the guy. He is full of eels, after all.

He wants to increase the value of those cards, entomb was reprinted outside of standard and what happen with the price of entomb? It went down from 40$ to 25$ (Which is a pretty good indicator of what would happen if old cards were to be reprinted and this example shot a big whole in his whole theory... but shhhhhhhh dont tell him!)
He's trolling right? Please tell me he's trolling 
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

It's Hovercraft.

That being said, I missed you.
I don't think the Reserved list has anything to do with the cards monetary value. I can understand never reprinting the power 9 and bad cards with a lot of "functional Reprints" that are actually better(Ring of Gix vs Icy Manipulator). Though i must say that there are a lot of fun, not broken, not game stifling cards on the list that i would like to see reprinted.

Silver Wyvern - slightly better Quicksilver Dragon with a lot better art (imo on the art part)

Sarcomancy - Would have been extremely well placed in Innistrad.

Anvil of Bogardan - Just in generally a good card. I'd rather have this than Howling mine

Field of Dreams - This card screams Kamigawa, and it would have been well placed.

Gaea's Avenger - seems well placed in SOM block, but would probably have to be rare to fit in limited formats.
Granite Gargoyle - Not a bad card at all. Ability has been white since right after it till now, but still a fun card.

A lot of other cards are either Set specific, Legends, broken, or too wordy and complicated to be reprinted. My point is that there are quite a few cards on the list that could viably see a reprint if they didn't puth them on the list.
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
What happens if there's a tie for first?
Monkey knife fight

It's Hovercraft.

You missed me?  
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

{sigh} Y'know, that probably is the second best idea. The best is to ignore the guy. He is full of eels, after all.

for awesome appropriate Python quotage.

Now... where's my popcorn?
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)

The end is always nigh.

It's Hovercraft.

You missed me?  

I missed Hovercraft.
Ive seen Hovercarft threads before, but those times Ive practicly ignored them for two reasons:
- I dont play old formats
- so many people calling troll that I took it for granted.

I see now that those older threads probably contained good stuff from Hovercraft, and that people calling troll are most of them best ignored.

I believe Hovercraft is more right than wrong, which means the troll-callers are more wrong than right.
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.
This is what is comes down to, clearly:

Supply does not effect a card's value . Desert Nomads has never been reprinted . Will never be reprinted . Doesn't ever need to be reprinted, but it IS still a piece of an original Arabian Nights set. By that alone, should be worth considerably more than most other cards today. Whatever is flavor of the week seems to be 'hot', whatever is played in decks 'now' . 

That is completely unwanted status for a c-o-l-l-e-c-t-i-b-l-e.

The highest value cards in the game, barring the power 9 which are fueled in demand mainly by how busted they are, and played in Vintage (increasingly less popular format), are comparable to some of the MOST reprinted cards in the game.

How the heck is a BETA Stone Rain , literally the most reprinted card in the game, worth about the same as Oubliette? Arabian Nights is the rarest, most coveted set for scarcity that was ever released.. I think short of media inserts but there might have been more of those I don't know.. probably more rare than Portal Three Kingdoms.. and that is not a bad card by any means. It has legitimate uses, it counts as a permanent in a colour that likes to sacrifice them, and it removes any creature from the game : something black has the hardest time doing is hard-removal. Its removal is generally limited.

Secretly one of the best removal spells. Plays well with Balance, and against Rancor . When they made equipment they stole some thunder from this card. It is a colorless mana of difference (a significant amount of difference) from Unmake . It can count as a permanent in play for black spells and strategies where sacrificing permanents is what your deck does. played in a stax build, your Oubliette'd creature can come back from behind a Smokestack and surprise surprise beat face.. it has lots of uses, and is a versatile removal spell used offensively or defensively. 

So in any case, this card is relegated not to collector's demand, but simply from lack of reprints it is not 'known' it remains obscure. 

When we talk of the reserved list cards, we have to look beyond the 'flavor of the week', to the actual document : how useful is it and who does it serve?

Why is one of the most expensive cards in the game, Mana Drain, worth more than Nether Void? because it is played. Fine.

but then why does that make the reserved list relevant? they can reprint that card at leisure.

The short of it is this,

To achieve the status of a 'collectible', the game has to appeal to collectors.

You cannot do that by picking individual cards out of sets, 'reserving them', and not treating the other cards as that same status.

If you remove the reserved list, MOST of the cards people own,

HONESTLY THINK. USE YOUR HEADS.

Will become MORE valuable.

There are MORE cards, off of the reserved list, than ON.

If you want to make a set valuable, you have to make the individual pieces valuable,

you do this by changing or simply reexamining the culture of the game in a different light, that already appreciates original prints of cards,  

What if Gauntlet Of Might, Lich, Forcefield, were worth as much as Shivan Dragon (what the hell is wrong with people paying $200 or more for a crummy dragon over paying for Gauntlet, Forcefield, Lich, seriously what the friggin' hell?)

Imagine EVERY rare of a set, becoming as valuable as others, on a more general curve,

you raise the collector demand of the entirety of a set, rather than inidividual pieces.
Ive seen Hovercarft threads before, but those times Ive practicly ignored them for two reasons:
- I dont play old formats
- so many people calling troll that I took it for granted.

I see now that those older threads probably contained good stuff from Hovercraft, and that people calling troll are most of them best ignored.

I believe Hovervraft is more right than wrong, which means the troll-callers are more wrong than right.

Dig for the original Hovercat(craft) thread. You'll see what we mean. That's a combination of fallacious arguments, wrong examples, arrogance and one-sided conversation.

Nobody says there's no ground in hating the reserved list, but in that thread, even people who had the same opinion disagreed with him.

You can just guess by his fallacious OP : here's some examples of cards that has been reprinted and whose Beta and Alpha printings are high. Ergo, reprinting made the old printings rise and they should reprint all of them to rise their price.

See the flaw in the logic, here? See where there's a gaping hole? You know, the part where you say how your exemple has anything to do with the subject? Because I can't see any logical conclusion coming from there. We can all agree that the price of duals is due to scarcity. We can all agree that since the original five 'walkers have been reprinted a hundred times, even if Jace Beleren was more useful than Jace, Memory Adept will ever be, it was worth less. We can all agree that if JB would've been printed once, it would have been worth much more.

Well, all of us except Hovercat(craft) who prefers fallacious arguments.

EDIT : Was ninja'd by the Cat. Just sayin'. 

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
76973988 wrote:

57817638 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57617478 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
79035425 wrote:
97610188 wrote:
93446159 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
56778328 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
142055101 wrote:
141434757 wrote:
71235715 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57150868 wrote:
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
76783093 wrote:
191752181 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
192931349 wrote:
57023768 wrote:
63711769 wrote:
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
196239043 wrote:

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

Smoke_Stack wrote:

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?

I believe Hovervraft is more right than wrong, which means the troll-callers are more wrong than right.

No, he's very wrong most of the time. I don't think he's a troll. I think he actually believes the tripe he puts out. If he is a troll, he's done a simply amazing job of staying in character.

This is what is comes down to, clearly:

Supply does not effect a card's value . Desert Nomads has never been reprinted . Will never be reprinted . Doesn't ever need to be reprinted, but it IS still a piece of an original Arabian Nights set. By that alone, should be worth considerably more than most other cards today. Whatever is flavor of the week seems to be 'hot', whatever is played in decks 'now' . 

The flaw here is that you only took half of my argument. Constant supply mixed with variable demand does determine a cards value. Let's see if I can find some graphs... God I hope I don't have to make one... Crap, This post will take a while; making **** graphical points.

Red is demand, green is constant supply, blue is variable supply along standard economical models.

As you can see, when WotC increases the supply, it decreases both demand and price. The reason prices vary between non-reprinted cards and reprinted cards is because the demand curve can still move. If demand increases enough, then it can overwhelm any effect supply might have. However, are you sure reprinting those cards will have that huge of an effect on the demand curve, just because people will know they exist? Not likely, considering many of the cards that stand a chance of being reprinted are either worse than the current cards or are cards at around common and would be worth **** anyways, figuratively speaking.

Also, why should WotC care about the Secondary market? They don't see a dime of it anyways. 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Half the fun of playing Magic over any length of time is being able to contend against whatever new stuff comes out. Giving off new (old) cards to newer players imbalances the old-time collector's ability to play on an even field. Just my two cents.

Let's see if I can find some graphs...
[...]

I'm pretty sure the Price should be the Y and the Quantity should be the X :p

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
76973988 wrote:

57817638 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57617478 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
79035425 wrote:
97610188 wrote:
93446159 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
56778328 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
142055101 wrote:
141434757 wrote:
71235715 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57150868 wrote:
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
76783093 wrote:
191752181 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
192931349 wrote:
57023768 wrote:
63711769 wrote:
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
196239043 wrote:

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

Smoke_Stack wrote:

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?

Actually, in economics, quantity demanded and supplied depend on the price. The more something costs, the fewer the people who want it. So price becomes the independent variable and qunatity supplied/demanded is the dependent. The intersection of the curves then determines the price that you see in stores.

Although, if it makes you feel better, flip the graph along the blue line. Doesn't really change the point xD 
56965458 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
I think this guy actually believes WotC is out to devalue his personal collection.

If you can't apply your logic universally to every card on the reserved list (which you can't), then your argument bears no water.

If demand increases enough, then it can overwhelm any effect supply might have.

Correct.

Hovercraft you have to realize that some cards, such as Shivan Dragon, are iconic and their value is dependant on more than just availability and playability.
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
The Reprint Policy is going to be ended, eventually.  At the very least, chaff like Farmstead and harmless fan-favorites like Baron Sengir will be suddenly dropped.
Mana Drain and Sinkhole could both be reprinted at any time, but don't get any hopes up on ever seeing those again.
The Reprint Policy is going to be ended, eventually.  At the very least, chaff like Farmstead and harmless fan-favorites like Baron Sengir will be suddenly dropped.

Why would they even bother to take Farmstead off?
Mana Drain and Sinkhole could both be reprinted at any time, but don't get any hopes up on ever seeing those again.

Mana Drain and Sinkhole? I must say that this was probably two of the worst examples that you could have used. 

The Reprint policy restricts the reprint of Terrible, Set specific, or extremely overpowered cards. I will admit, as in my previous post here, that there are cards i would love to see reprinted but WOTC has their reasons.

Also, for everyone that thinks this, WOTC gains nothing from the change in price of singles or sealed product sold by game shops. WOTC gains from selling their freshly made cards to distributors. If the game shops need more Worldwake because of Jace's popularity, then it's the distributor that makes extra money. 
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
Monkey knife fight
The Reprint policy restricts the reprint of Terrible, Set specific, or extremely overpowered cards.

What, like Aeolipile?

The Reprint policy restricts the reprint of Terrible, Set specific, or extremely overpowered cards.

What, like Aeolipile?

I will admit, as in my previous post here, that there are cards i would love to see reprinted [...].

It's basically the same as Moonglove Extract, so yes, a reprint couldn't hurt.
Its going to eat me!
Quotes and such
57044478 wrote:
57311168 wrote:
Monkey knife fight
OMG WoTC is out to get you! They obviously are aware of the cards in your collection and are trying to make them lose value on purpose. Actually the last 10 years of magic were made to make your collection lose value. You should be careful, they probably bugged/wired your home to make sure which cards you have and will eventually add them to the reserved list in order to make your collection's value lower....

Or they dont care about secondary market and want to make sure that SOME (read it again, not all, but SOME) cards remain iconic and thus pricy for the collectors while a lot of broken cards never see the light of day again.
Is City of Brass even on the Reserved List? Because I'm pretty sure nothing on the Reserved List was printed after Urza's Destiny.

I more worry about the ban list. Some of them seem a bit specious, of the "a thirteen-year-old boy complained 'omg BROKEN!' about them after losing for the fifteenth time because his Craw Wurm deck sucks" variety. I call these cards apes, after the most famous example.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
How the heck is a BETA Stone Rain , literally the most reprinted card in the game, worth about the same as Oubliette?

Because nobody, nobody, wants to play with Oubliette. First and foremost, Magic is a TCG. People that collect things that will be worth something one day generally don't collect Magic cards. There are a few collectors out there, but they aren't collecting cards that nobody wants to play with (with the exception of cards that were never for sale).

The main thing about how much a card is worth is how many people want to play with it, not how rare it is. For that sort of rarity seeking where playability doesn't matter, people seek other things besides trading cards that don't increase in value due to winning or losing a tournament. 

I'm not saying that I agree with the Reprint Policy, and I actually don't think that you are a troll (perhaps a little difficult when it comes to seeing it from someone else's view, though). But Oubliette's worth is a poor example of the point that you are trying to make; and it should be known that Magic cards as collectors items are almost nonexistent in comparison to the other things that people collect.

An instance of collecting things where one thing sucks compared to another is gun collecting.  Nobody collects old American Civil War muskets because they are more accurate than a Desert Eagle, and at the same time nobody is going to take an old musket to a shooting competition either. In gun collecting, winning with collected guns is not the point. In the vast majority of cases, winning with Magic cards is the point. The only reason why a person who collects Magic cards Black Lotus is worth so much is because someone, even if not that person, can potentially win with it.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
So basically the reserved list is divided into 3 parts.

A) Cards that have extremely high play value. These cards usually also have some collectibility value (because they're so playable). However, the reson behind the high prices is largely due to playability nowadays. Should these cards get reprinted, their prices will drop drastically, but no doubt they will still remain higher than the newer print runs, as they still have collectibility. But WotC made what I would call a "silly" promise those years back, and the collectors hold them to it, because regardless of reason behind the purchase (play or collect), they don't want the price to drop, as they know it will.

B) Cards that have little or no play value. These cards also usually hold little collectivity value as well. They can get reprinted but most won't give two hoots. Only reason they don't is because 1) no one really cares and 2) collectors will deem WotC as "threatening to reprint some of the other valuable stuff because they already did with the others in the list.

C) Iconic, or extremely collectiable cards (ala Alpha/Beta). These cards have extremely high collectivity value, but ranged playability ones. They are the least likely to tank if the reserved list becomes the reprint list. The lower the playability, the less likely its price drops. Even the high-playability ones won't drop much either.