22 posts / 0 new
Last post
title
Black
White
Red
Green
Blue

two of them started with B.  U is the dominant sound in "Blue". 
Because you can't use "B" since that's black.
Because when abbreviating each color to a single letter w, r, and g are pretty easy. Black alphabetically comes before blue, so, it gets first dibs on "b". "L" doesn't make much sense, especially as if one color is called "b" and another "l" you still don't really know which is black and which is blue, they both start with "bl". Third letter in is the letter "u", which does not occur in the word "black" (or any of the other colors). This makes it the most logical choice.

If they had decided to go with "b" for blue then then they probably would have used "a" for black. But, hey, the alphabet has spoken, right?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

It should be "I" for Island.
Tongue Out
But PISMF sounds so much worse than WUBRG
Escef, the way I heard it, there's actually more to it than simply "black is first alphabetically so it gets to keep B."  Here's the version of the story I remember:

The words "black" and "blue" both start with the letter "B", so clearly one of them had to use something else.  The second letter, also the same in both words, "L", was already in use for "land" and so was not available.  Next, we come to the third letters, "A" and "U".  First choice would have been to use whichever of these came first alphabetically, so "A" for "blAck", leaving "B" for "Blue", but alas the letter "A" was also already taken, used for "artifact."  The other third letter, "U", was free, so it became the abbreviation for blue, leaving "B" available for black.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
Plus, "U" looks kinda like .
But PISMF sounds so much worse than WUBRG

lol

Nah, just do WIBRG
Hmm i cant say that Weeberg is an improvement to Pis'm'of
The problem is that WotC didn't pick good color names in the beginning.

What they should have done was name each color after a stone/gem

Ivory/Diamond, Sapphire, Onyx/Ebony/Obsidian, Ruby, Emerald/Jade.

I disagree; if they did that the color pie would just be an I-SORE.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

It does seem pretty corny that way, and I can almost guarantee you that some conflicts would have arisen after the fact between the attributes of at least one color and the properties of the stone used to represent it.
The reasoning I've heard (and always remember when the question comes up) is that Black is the selfish color, and so it gets to be "B" instead of Blue.  

"L" was already taken by Land, so Blue had to get its third choice of "U".
Ok so the, if changing the all the colors to something else doesn't fly, then it stands to reason Blue's color should simply change. Yellow feels too much like the Sun (that's white's schtick). Of the other common colors, we have Brown (uses a B, so no good),  Orange (probably too confusing next to Red), Pink (too girls for a game originally targeting males (and long before Pink was "cool"))... So the only color left (that isn't obscure or just blue with a different name) is Purple. Purple is pretty cool and it works well if you switch Blue's land from Islands to Caves.... But it just isn't as iconic (not in place of Blue but as its own color...)

Touche.

It does seem pretty corny that way, and I can almost guarantee you that some conflicts would have arisen after the fact between the attributes of at least one color and the properties of the stone used to represent it.

Colors have just as many meanings behind them as gems.

The reasoning I've heard (and always remember when the question comes up) is that Black is the selfish color, and so it gets to be "B" instead of Blue.  

Don't forget that L is shared by both Blue and Black, some may get confused by th.

I have to disagree on this. 

In the magic uni(multi?)verse, Mana is the primordial force that binds everything together. It is the universal force that permeates everything.  Even when you break this force down into it's five constituant parts, they still are vast and encapsualte many different ideas and ideals.  Therfore you want the names of these parts to be simple, so as not to narrow them.

The names you have suggested gives the impression that mana is some rare substance, that has little to no interaction with most things in the multiverse.

Don't forget that L is shared by both Blue and Black, some may get confused by th.

I'm... a bit unsure about where the confusion stems from?

I'm... a bit unsure about where the confusion stems from?

I think Elf may have been silenced midsentance. I wonder if anybody had any reson to want him gone
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

But how many people actually associate colors with any meaning?

But how many people actually associate colors with any meaning?

Pretty much everyone, actually. It may not be on a concious level all the time, but how many people haven't, to use the classic examples, "felt blue" or been "seeing red"? Colors have a lot of deeply ingrained meanings, and honestly ones that are probably more widely known than most gemstones.
Rules Nut Advisor