Banned, not banned

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Banned: Wild Nacatl, Punishing Fire
Not banned: Aether Vial.

Eeeeyup.
I'm absolutely livid that the best fix they could come up with was to ban Wild Nacatl. Heavens forbid they eratta the Quazi-Duals and Painlands to have 2 land types or ban the fetchlands. Also "attacks and blocks too well", Tarmogoyf says "hai gaiz" While drinking the tears of failed control decks everywhere.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
So they killed the Punishing Grove combo and took out one of Zoo's staple weenies. I can kind of see the logic behind nerfing the Grove combo, but the Nacatl seems like a bit like overkill, or underkill if you want to see Tarmogoyf banned. I don't really care either way, since I run Affinity and anything they do to hurt Zoo helps me.
I see this quickly becoming a runaway train of bannings as power levels of decks are raised and lowered too much. All you needed for punishing fire was some GY hate or land destruction. Zoo is pretty good, but in either the mirror match or against a half decent control deck it's gonna go down. Between the shocklands and fetches zoo runs, they practically kill themselves off before they kill you. I finished off a zoo deck T2 with a double lightning bolt before he took himself so low while attacking. It just is getting silly with all this. They need to fix it by just unbanning most of these cards and let this relatively new format grow a bit before they let just a couple pro matches decide the nerf level.

Anyone who has actually tested the format properly knew that Fires had to go and that Zoo made the format incredibly closed. With Nacatl gone, other creature decks are now viable. They want modern to be a format, allowing Kird Ape and Loam Lion to be playable make a huge difference, since it's not just run RWG or nothing if you want aggro. It even allows Treefolk Harbinger to be decent enough again since it can actually block.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

Anyone who has actually tested the format properly knew that Fires had to go and that Zoo made the format incredibly closed. With Nacatl gone, other creature decks are now viable. They want modern to be a format, allowing Kird Ape and Loam Lion to be playable make a huge difference, since it's not just run RWG or nothing if you want aggro. It even allows Treefolk Harbinger to be decent enough again since it can actually block.

How did a 3/3 for a :G:, a fetchland, a life, and 2 more (if you wanted to cast a spell) on turn 2 make creature decks any less viable? Especially when Tarmogoyf and Knight of the Reliquary just happen to be more "acceptable" because they don't attack on turn 2? Knight is definitely a fair card by all means, but the logic approached about scaling creatures being too good because the format has both fetch and shocklands seems kind of backwards to me. If the decks opposing them didn't use the exact same land engine, they wouldn't be at 14 life on turn 2. Which becons the question as to why only the shocklands have both landtypes, and why fetchlands don't see an opposing source of mana fixing, especially when WotC knew that Onslaught's fetchlands were simply too good with the first wave of duals. It just seems to me that there were better alternatives altogether than banning the second Kird Ape, which gave you an extra point of power for working just a little bit harder.

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I just dislike how they are banning more and more cards.
So, the next big deck will be Bant or the Rock? And the next bannings will be Thoughtseize, Spell Snare etc? I don't get it. They'll just end up banning Islands and Forests...

I have a feeling they should unban Mental Misstep (and pretty much everything else) and let us have fun with that. The format was bad in the beginning, with all the combo decks and stuff, but it was better than now.

And that excuse, that they used Legacy as an example, that this format too had 60+ banned cards from its beginning, is ridiculous. Of course the Ante cards, the power 9 and several other broken stuff like Library of Alexandria was banned, You can't compare that to the banning of Ponder or Green Sun's Zenith.
I'm still wondering with Blazing Shoal is banned.  And I still don't like that Ponder and Preordain are.
blazing shoal is a t3 kill with blighted agent if you pitch progenitus or dragonstorm or something.

also rather than banning wild nacatl, wouldn't unbanning mental misstep be a better idea? it does more or less the same thing, but makes control a bit more viable. 
blazing shoal is a t3 kill with blighted agent if you pitch progenitus or dragonstorm or something.

also rather than banning wild nacatl, wouldn't unbanning mental misstep be a better idea? it does more or less the same thing, but makes control a bit more viable. 

Mental Misstep + Spell Snare + Snapcaster Mage = uncool format

Not control oriented format, mind you, because Zoo would be running MM and Snappy, but uncool format nonetheless.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!

Anyone wanting Misstep legal obviously hasn't played legacy. When a card is played in 90% of decks regardless of colour, you end up with a pretty terrible format.

Compare Wild Nacatl to every other one drop in the format, and it makes them look terrible. Yes, you can play other more expensive creatures like Goyf and Knight, but Zoo is running those as well, and  anything else you put in the one drop slot fails. Comparing a two drop or a three drop to a one drop is stupid. You have to compare other one drops.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Banned: Wild Nacatl, Punishing Fire
Not banned: Aether Vial.

Eeeeyup.

Both of these were good choices. I think they're doing a good job. No format is going to be perfect, with so many variables involved. Less than 30 cards are on the ban list, or less than half of a percent of the card base.
Wish they would start banning more cards so I know what to to buy.
Learn about autocard here ==> [*c]Lightning Bolt[/*c] Remove "*" and you get Lightning Bolt. IMAGE(http://internetometer.com/image/27264.png) Keep extended alive for future generations so they dont have to sell out for modern. "If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it." —Volrath
It's a new Format. As a new format they will ALWAYS be a flurry of bannings right at the beginning, as they really have no idea what will be good or OP.

That said, either Ban or Reprint Goyf. It's too good NOT to use, and is getting up to Jace, TMS levels of price.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
What fantasy world do you live in?  cards.info has 'Goyf at almost double Jace2's price.  D:

i agree

Mental Misstep is a very bad idea to make legal. It's something that would get run in every deck and skew the format in a bad way. Anyone who played Legacy during the Misstep era will know that free counterspells that every deck can play are bad.

Nacatl does more damage than goyf. By the time goyf swings, nacatl can clock up 6 points, and the average goyf is 2-3 power, so Nacatl is genrally stronger. Goyf is the late game fatty, or the guy that doesn't die to removal as easily. Goyf is more important for control decks like Team America who need to field a superior guy to beat the aggro decks.
Implying Aether Vial is too good?

Implying Aether Vial sees play in more than, maybe, three decks?

Indeed. 
This format just looks so stupid to me. However, I fear for legacy. Bullshit is gonna more problematic than misstep I think. But I think they just throw the banhammer with a blindfold sometimes.
I enjoy Modern a lot more with Nacatl gone. That said, I'm tired of having 10 of my 15 sideboard slots dedicated to beating different combo decks.

(at)MrEnglish22

UK PTQ this weekend, results:

TOP 8 (winning list was UB Delver - Bruno)

Kieran Startup (Affinity)
==========================================
3 Mountain
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Mox Opal
3 Springleaf Drum

4 Ornithopter
4 Memnite
4 Signal Pest
4 Steel Overseer
4 Vault Skirge
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Frogmite
3 Etched Champion

4 Galvanic Blast

4 Cranial Plating

SIDEBOARD ---
4 Blood Moon
3 Ancient Grudge
2 Spellskite
4 Torpor Orb
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Surgical Extraction

David Murphy
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Mutavault
1 Swamp
3 Island
2 River of Tears
2 Watery Grave
2 Misty Rainforest [*F]
1 Scalding Tarn [*F]

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Dark Confident
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Vendilion Clique

1 Sword of Light & Shadow

3 Smother
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
1 Doom Blade
2 Disfigure
4 Serum Visions
2 Cryptic Command
2 Spell Snare
3 Mana Leak

SIDEBOARD ---
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Tribute to Hunger
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Deathmark
3 Spellskite

Kevin Rossi (Jund)
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Copperline Gorge
2 Swamp
1 Forest
3 Twilight Mire
4 Treetop Village
1 Raging Ravine
1 Stomping Grounds
2 Overgrown
1 Blood Crypt
4 Verdant Catacomb [*F]

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confident
4 Bloodbraid Elf
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Grim Lavamancer

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Duress
2 Blightning
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Terminate
1 Go for the Throat
4 Lightning Bolt

3 Liliana of the Veil

SIDEBOARD ---
1 Duress
1 Olivia Voldaren
1 Primal Command
3 Jund Charm
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Thoughtseize
2 Thorn of Amethyst
2 Combust
2 Seal of Primordium

Bruno Panara (UB Control)
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Mutavault
1 Swamp
3 Island
1 Steam Vents
2 Watery Grave
2 Misty Rainforest [*F]
2 Scalding Tarn [*F]

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Dark Confident
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Vendilion Clique

1 Sword of Feast & Famine
1 Sword of Light & Shadow

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Disfigure
4 Smother
4 Serum Visions
1 Cryptic Command
2 Spell Snare
4 Mana Leak

SIDEBOARD ---
3 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Negate
1 Dpell Pierce
2 Duress
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Kira, Great-Glass-Spinner

Szymon Bialek (Affinity)
4 Mountain
3 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Mox Opal
3 Springleaf Drum

4 Ornithopter
4 Memnite
3 Signal Pest
3 Vault Skirge
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Frogmite
4 Etched Champion

4 Cranial Plating

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Shrapnel Blast

SIDEBOARD ---
4 Blood Moon
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Relic of Progenitus
3 Torpor Orb
3 Mindbreak Trap

Jonathan Randle (Caw Blade)
2 Plains
4 Island
2 Celestial Colonnade
2 Mystic Gate
4 Seachrome Coast
2 Hallowed FOuntain
4 Scalding Tarn [*F]
1 Arid Mesa [*F]
1 Pendlehaven
1 Moorland Haunt
3 Mutavault

4 Squadron Hawk
4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Vendilion Clique
3 Kitchen Finks
1 Venser, Shaper-Savant

4 Spell Snare
4 Remand
4 Path to Exile
3 Cryptic Command

2 Sword of Feast & Famine
2 Elspeth, Knight Errant

SIDEBOARD ---
1 Annul
1 Dispel
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Spell Pierce
1 Sword of War & Peace
1 Disenchant
2 Sunlance
2 Wrath of God
2 Damping Matrix
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Kitchen Finks

Luke Southworth (Bant)
3 Forest
2 Plains
1 Island
3 Temple Garden
2 Breeding Pool
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Stirring Wildwood
1 Treetop Village
4 Misty Rainforest [*F]
4 Verdant Catacombs [*F]

4 Noble Hirarch
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Quasili Pridemage
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Mirran Crusader
4 Geist of Saint Traft

1 Angelic Destiny
4 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

4 Path to Exile
2 Mana Leak
3 Spell Pierce

SIDEBOARD ---
3 Thorn of Amethyst
3 Rule of Law
3 Wilt-Leaf Leige
2 Creeping Corrosion
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Flashfreeze
1 Negate

Luis Feijoo Diaz (Melira-Pod/Project-X)
5 Forest
1 Plains
2 Swamp
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Godless Shrine
1 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Marsh Flats [*F]
2 Misty Rainforest [*F]
4 Verdant Catacombs [*F]

4 Kitchen Finks
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
2 Viscera Seer
3 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
1 Spellskite
1 Sun Titan
1 Murderous Redcap
1 Nekrataal
1 Hex Parasite
1 Quasili Pridemage
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Reveillark
1 Ranger of Eos
1 Eternal Witness

4 Birthing Pod
4 Chord of Calling

3 Path to Exile

SIDEBOARD ---
2 Duress
2 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Obstinate Baloth
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Shriekmaw
1 Silent Arbiter
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Thrun, The Last Troll

I'm not sure I like the whole:

Affinity

OR

Choose-your-busted-2-drop-deck

There has to be something else clever we can do.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I've been playing Greater Good to decent success. Affinity just has some sick plays (like a turn 3 win... that was fun) and its hard not to run the most powerful 3 drop in the past 4 years (Knight of the Reliquary)

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments