12/20/2011 Feature: "December 20 2011 DCI Banned & Restricted List Announcement"

95 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Tuesdaymorning on magicthegathering.com.
Expected Punishing Fire...but not Wild Nacatl. So many banned cards in Modern...
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg)
WILD NACATL? REALLY?
Who was actuly asking for Nacatl to be banned???  Goyf (who im convinced now is in the next 2 sets) KotR and BBE are waaaaay more anoying.  Nacatl dies to bolt and gets blocked by wall of omens.  Its a 3 color 1 drop and isnt much worse than lynx or gob guide.  Its much easier to beat than those other 3 creatures.
DEAR WOTC,

THE COMMUNITY IS SICK OF GETTING MORE CARDS BANNED.  IT'S ANNOYING.  IT MAKES US NOT WANT TO INVEST OR EVEN WASTE OUR TIME PLAYING THIS FORMAT IF THINGS ARE GOING TO KEEP GETTING BANNED.  WE DO NOT LIKE HOW WEAK THE FORMAT HAS BECOME.  POWERFUL CARDS ARE FUN.  WE LIKE THEM.  PLEASE STOP THIS HORRENDUS BANNING SPREE AND START UNBANNING CARDS FROM THE FORMAT BEFORE IT BECOMES EVEN MORE OF A JOKE THAN IT ALREADY IS.

LOVE
EVERYONE 
So many banned cards in Modern...

While it has a larger cardpool, I think the % of banned cards is higher in Legacy still than Modern. I think that this is the path to the stable format we want. Zoo was almost its legacy counterpart fighting against all of the other archetypes gimped by the banned list. 

Speak for yourself. I, for one, and glad WOTC isn't afraid to ban in modern. Modern was supposed to be THE format for rogue decks and banning cards that see ubiquitous play is the only way to keep that spirit alive.
Honestly, I wouldn't have banned either. I'd sooner see Grove of the Burnwillows banned than Punishing Fire, and Goyf banned before Nacatl. That's ridiculous. Let people have slightly above par burn without an abusive combo available and a slightly above par creature without a supporting abusive counterpart. These were some of the poorer picked bans. This doesn't diversify the field. It just destroys an archetype.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
This is just embarrassing...
DEAR WOTC,

THE COMMUNITY IS SICK OF GETTING MORE CARDS BANNED.  IT'S ANNOYING.  IT MAKES US NOT WANT TO INVEST OR EVEN WASTE OUR TIME PLAYING THIS FORMAT IF THINGS ARE GOING TO KEEP GETTING BANNED.  WE DO NOT LIKE HOW WEAK THE FORMAT HAS BECOME.  POWERFUL CARDS ARE FUN.  WE LIKE THEM.  PLEASE STOP THIS HORRENDUS BANNING SPREE AND START UNBANNING CARDS FROM THE FORMAT BEFORE IT BECOMES EVEN MORE OF A JOKE THAN IT ALREADY IS.

LOVE
EVERYONE 

You DO NOT speak for everyone. If you want power & value for your money, invest in Legacy since there's no such thing as a S-Tier deck like you saw in Modern a few weeks ago.

As for Modern, yes, it feels sluggish since there's no real Rock/Paper/Scissors game (Aggro/Combo/ and a completely absent Control) in terms of decks, but the bans are necessary to create diversity. Unfortunately, combo is still a huge threat in the format and so are necessary availabity (prices) of cards to combat it (Thoughtseize for example).
Is the DCI's policy now to just ban all good cards? I mean, I guess that's alright, but this is a completely new way of going about bannings. No longer are they just banning oppressive cards, but any card they feel like is "too good," even if that card doesn't lead to an overly oppressive deck. We'll see how this goes I guess...
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
Honestly, what archetype is this destroying? Zoo can play Loam Lion, Ape, Lynx, goblin guide, Isamaru, etc there are PLENTY of 1 drops. Nacatl's 3 power gives zoo a significant clock. As far as banning Grove/Fire, neither is really going to see play without the other, so its largely irrelevant which one is banned.

Edit: Was zoo really not oppressive by your standards at Worlds? Decks can be oppresive even if they don't counter your spells (which zoo did), or kill you on turn 3/4 (which zoo almost does) 

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

even if these bannings killed zoo, which won't happen, it increases the variety of aggro decks that will appear.
brozek, doran,and bant should all see more play.

And that as Martha would say Is "a Good Thing".

At least they banned a common and an uncommon, instead of a rare and a Mythic-priced rare.
The format is so fast, to keep banning cards like Nacatl or something is almost irrelevant. And at least if the Grove were banned instead of the Fire, people (more casual modern players) would be more inclined to take a chance on Punishing Fire than a land. Wild Nacatl can be, at best, a 2/2 on turn 1. As mentioned, this is any Goblin Guide or Isamaru, and equally susceptible to removal. At best it's a 3/3 with no abilities, at the whim of land any tectonic edge, ghost quarter, etc. That's my issue with the nacatl banning.

I admittedly dont play modern, but follow the format with great interest. I think it's just removing some fun factor by taking these cards away.
This seals the deal for me, I'm going with Legacy.
DEAR WOTC,

LOVE
EVERYONE 

There's a key to the left of your "A" key. Please press it.

Honestly, I laughed really hard at this post, because I can imagine you in your chair at home throwing an emotional fit over this. Extreme emotional responses to stuff like this is typically hilarious.
I've been toying with constructing my first tourney-legal decks in years, and was told that my local area is avoiding Modern because there are too many banned cards, and this des not help manners any.  There needs to be some unbannings, not more bannings.
All things considered, there's 29 of 6500 cards available in this format banned. Something tells me people can be more creative with deck building then they have been.
The banned list at this point is really a big LOL... Nacatal over Goyf... give me a brake wizards Nacatal is easily replaced but you want to increase variety of green decks??? then ban Goyf cause green decks all start with 4 Goyf an $100 card which should have been banned since the beginning.
1. Search for top decks
2. Ban key cards in those decks
3. Wait 6 months and repeat. 

Recipe for a diverse format? 

Banning Nacatl would be like banning Doomed Traveler in standard if WW was winning the most, simply because it was doing the most damage. I don't play zoo and I still think it is stupid. If you really think Nacatl is a problem, then the people deciding bannings are stats nerds and not actual players. This is nonsense. Nacatl isn't even the best creature in zoo. Steppe Lynx swings harder on turn 2. I can get a Delver of Secrets swinging just as hard as Nacatl, with fewer conditions to do so. AND IT IS FLYING. Goblin Guide swings for 2 on turn 1, should we ban him next?

Ban a card because it is TOO good, not just because it is good enough to be in every version of a popular type of deck. You aren't actually going to hurt zoo or stop it from being popular at all, you'll just upset a lot of customers instead.

I really think they're going the wrong way with this. They just keep banning more and more cards - and several of them are cards that I think really haven't shown themselves to be a problem in any Eternal format.

You know what banned list I'd like to use, instead of the current mess?

I think this is probably the smallest possible banned list that could work. There are plenty of cards that might need to end up banned again, such as Stoneforge Mystic or Sword of the Meek, but I think this shuts down the absolute worst problems.

- Doug

I'll bring the wise words of this fellow forum member to the thread, since they sum everything up pretty nicely:

Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.

OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
nacatl is pretty good but still fair. dies to almost all the one and two mana removal. and punishing fires wasnt hurting anything. its slow and alot of the creatures have 3 toughness. i mean whatever it was a little opressive to theoretical creatures seeing play, and it is an annoying lock. im fine banning it.

top btw is still the worst ban ever. its not overpowered, and it was never a problem in any of its days. legacy decks dont go to time because of top. counterbalance was the problem a few extended seasons back not top. unban top please.
also ban emrakul. stupid cards are stupid.
While Tarmogoyf is a lot more powerful, it is actually good that non-aggro decks can reccur to green for the best creature. So it does a lot of work for a lot of decks. It shouldn't be banned instead of Nacatl.

Now, Nacatl is the best one-drop, but there are tons of replacements. It's just that this format's Zoo will have consistent 2-power creatures that cost one, not 3-power creatures. That's cool. And it's not like anyone invested a lot of money in Wild Nacatl to complain.

But, yeah, the format is still being figured out.
top btw is still the worst ban ever. its not overpowered, and it was never a problem in any of its days. legacy decks dont go to time because of top. counterbalance was the problem a few extended seasons back not top. unban top please.
also ban emrakul. stupid cards are stupid.

Counterbalance is legal in Modern; you have to ban one or the other.

- Doug

I wholeheartedly support these bannings as they ARE what was needed to diversify the format.

Nacatl was/is just too efficient as a beater for this format. Sure, a bolt (or any one of the MANY 1 or 2 mana removal spells in the format) can kill it, but if you don't happen to have that spell in your hand in the first two turns, your basically up that certain creek we all know of.
I'm not saying, that Goyf isn't as efficient as a beater (maybe even more so), but it is that at a later part of the game (unless your opponent happens to have done something like 1st turn fetch, discard Simian spirit guide and cast a 1 mana phyrexian spell, but how often has THAT happened?), when you have had more time to draw into your answer OR have more mana for mass-removal.

The Punishing Fire + Grove of Burnwillows combo doesn't at first glance seem that dangerous. "Okay, I can repeatedly get 2 damage for 3 mana and my opponent nets 1 life in the process". But the card-efficiency is just too much in this format. That Gaddock or Meddling Mage or Tide hollow Sculler or some other small creature you would have spent a card from your hand to deal with can now be dealt with over and over again with no card lost. And that is just with one of each. If you draw a second one of EITHER of the pieces things get REALLY degenerate.
Although I feel that banning Grove would have probably worked as well, on the long term I think it is a more interesting card than Punishing Fire (also I dislike how Punishing fire kinda completely negates Kitchen Finks and the Soul Sisters-decks).

However, the most amazing thing about these bannings is, that I was right with the Nacatl about two weeks a go. A month or so ago for the Punishing Fire.

Sorry for the rant. I just wished to explain my support  for these bannings.
I would add that Nactal should have been seen coming a mile away. The similar card Kird Ape was one of the very first banned/ restricted cards because the original dual lands pumped it too much...
As for Modern, yes, it feels sluggish since there's no real Rock/Paper/Scissors game (Aggro/Combo/ and a completely absent Control) in terms of decks, but the bans are necessary to create diversity. Unfortunately, combo is still a huge threat in the format and so are necessary availabity (prices) of cards to combat it (Thoughtseize for example).

Control has been viable ever since Cloudpost got banned. Gifts Ungiven and Mystical Teachings are putting up good results now.  

The banned list at this point is really a big LOL... Nacatal over Goyf... give me a brake wizards Nacatal is easily replaced but you want to increase variety of green decks??? then ban Goyf cause green decks all start with 4 Goyf an $100 card which should have been banned since the beginning.

Nacatl is NOT banned to increase variety of green decks, it's banned to increase variety of aggro decks. As others have said, now there is actually a reason to have an aggro deck in something other than naya colors. 

The format is so fast, to keep banning cards like Nacatl or something is almost irrelevant. And at least if the Grove were banned instead of the Fire, people (more casual modern players) would be more inclined to take a chance on Punishing Fire than a land. Wild Nacatl can be, at best, a 2/2 on turn 1. As mentioned, this is any Goblin Guide or Isamaru, and equally susceptible to removal. At best it's a 3/3 with no abilities, at the whim of land any tectonic edge, ghost quarter, etc. That's my issue with the nacatl banning. I admittedly dont play modern, but follow the format with great interest. I think it's just removing some fun factor by taking these cards away.

Wild Nacatl wasn't broken, but its restrictive requirements did push all other aggro decks out of contention. We will see more variety now, and that will up the fun factor.

Grove is still playable now with Kavu Predator, theoretically =p
DEAR WOTC,

LOVE
EVERYONE 

You DO NOT speak for everyone. If you want power & value for your money, invest in Legacy since there's no such thing as a S-Tier deck like you saw in Modern a few weeks ago.

This guy may not speak for you but he does speak for me. Ever since this format came out and the only thing wizards has done is just ban every deck that seems to do well in 1 tournament. This format isn't even a year old and they've already got a stupidly long ban list. You say the ban list is necessary in order to create a diverse format but how can we create a diverse format when wizards just bans every deck that seems to do well? The reason why we don't have a control deck in the format is because they banned every key card in every viable control deck. Wanna play faeries? too bad Bitterblossom is banned. Wanna play caw-blade? too bad Jace The Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge are banned? Wanna protect yourself while on the draw from turn 1 goblin guide or steppe linx? Too bad mental misstep is banned. Not only are we gonna do that we're going to ban ancetral visions for no good reason and a bunch of other cards because we're wizards of the coast and we can do what we want regardless of what the player base wants.Because we all know what a good job these bannings have done in diversifying the format..ohh wait???
High 5 Wizards. Good work
This guy may not speak for you but he does speak for me. Ever since this format came out and the only thing wizards has done is just ban every deck that seems to do well in 1 tournament. This format isn't even a year old and they've already got a stupidly long ban list. You say the ban list is necessary in order to create a diverse format but how can we create a diverse format when wizards just bans every deck that seems to do well? The reason why we don't have a control deck in the format is because they banned every key card in every viable control deck. Wanna play faeries? too bad Bitterblossom is banned. Wanna play caw-blade? too bad Jace The Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge are banned? Wanna protect yourself while on the draw from turn 1 goblin guide or steppe linx? Too bad mental misstep is banned. Not only are we gonna do that we're going to ban ancetral visions for no good reason and a bunch of other cards because we're wizards of the coast and we can do what we want regardless of what the player base wants.Because we all know what a good job these bannings have done in diversifying the format..ohh wait???

While Fairies and Caw-Blade are shining beacons of formats laden with diversity..ohh wait.

We do have control decks in the format. We did the second Cloudpost was banned.
I find some of the bannings in Modern surprising, but I'm going to express a minority view here that a liberal wielding of the banhammer is probably a good thing, even if a few eggs get broken in making this particular omelette.

I'd like to see a liberal use of the un-ban hammer too of course. My particular favourites to unban: green sun's zenith, Jitte and ancestral visions, if only to see what happens.

If the ban traffic is all one way then I think the diversity we seek won't happen quite as readily as it might with unbannings. Give Modern the identity of being the most fluid sacntioned constructed format and see what happens.

I don't know Modern very well, so there's probably something I'm missing here, but... Is banning a creature necessary? How does Wild Nacatl put Zoo so above the other aggro decks they can't compete? Doess it make Zoo the most resilient/reliable aggro deck on non-aggro match-ups, and also the best aggro deck against other aggro decks? Isn't there any other aggro deck that can put at least a 50/50 chance agaisnt Zoo and the rest of the field? If so, is the problem really a 3/3, non-evasive creature? Is Nacatl that hard to race, compared to, say, Goblin Guide or Tarmogoyf?
Things like this is why I am playing more Yu-Gi-Oh. Wizards, you seriously need to get your act together. If you are serious about the continuity of this game, Wizards, then you will not Delete posts like this, you will do something good for the game so that there do not need to be posts made like this one. R&D is out of touch with the masses of MTG. I am not the only one that feels this way. After what you did to Worlds MTG will never be what it once was.

Wizards, do something good for the game!!!

Since it's kind of related, how about the changes to the (tournament) rules?

www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards...

In particular, see rule 1.4 - now all "beneficial" triggers are optional, at least in Competitive and Professional tournaments, including lifegain (from Transcendence?) and card draw (from Mind Unbound with only a few cards left in your library?).  Maybe this rule is a good thing, but if so, shouldn't it be added to the Comprehensive Rules, and not just hidden away in the Infraction Procedure Guide?

A scary thought is that the rule is only intended to apply to high level tournaments.  If this is so, players at FNM won't be allowed to copy the plays they read about in Pro Tour coverage.  At that point, why even have a Pro Tour?

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Anyone who has played Modern properly knew thsat Wild Nacatl needed banning. The card made any aggro deck that wasn't zoo completely unplayable and stopped many cards that once saw play become impossible to use. Loam Lion and Kird Ape for example, with those guys as the base level for 1 mana guys, then things like Treefolk Harbinger become useful. Punishign Fire made every creature with toughness 2 or less unplayable without a CIP effect like Clique and Snappy, even Clique was pretty pointless though. Nacatl did a similar thing, by making any agressive deck wrong if it didn't play the nacatl, it's not a case of people needing to be building different decks, it's a case of somethign being significantly better than other things making much of the format unviable.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
WotC is saving me a ton of money by not giving me a reason to play Vintage/Legacy/Modern tournaments in a whole year, or buying their product for that matter. Laughing I just can't enjoy Innistrad when it has brought so much damage to all the formats I love, and the DCI has been terrible at managing their competitive formats during all of 2011.

You know what's the difference between the best and the worst sets ever? A BLUE snapcaster mage, and a BLUE Delver of Secrets.

Do you know what the DCI calls a format in which 90% of the Top 8s feature the same two blue cards, and two variations of the same "blue tempo" strategy comprise 66% of the meta? A healthy legacy environment.
Declaimer: I do not, and won't, play Modern. I find the format rather janky (but I have played it). That said, the follow is true:

Of all the cards banned in Modern, there is a ridiculous number of them that are common. The total cost for a single of each comes up to about $68 (US), and thus a playset just over $300 (US). Over half the cost of this is borne by one card, Jace, the Mind Sculptor ($39 or 57%), while Bitterblossom comprises a not-insignificant portion of the remainder ($6 or 20%), and the rest are covered by cards at $4 to $1, to a ridiculous spread of cards like Seat of the Synod or Ponder which come out at less than $.25 (US).

10 cards are common (the artifact lands excluding Darksteel Citadel [5], Ponder, Preordain, Cloudpost, Rite of Flame, and Wild Nacatl);
6 cards are uncommon (equipment, Skullclamp and Sword of the Meek, Mental Misttep, Dread Return, perennial red-headed stepchild Sensei's Divining Top, and now Punishing Fire);
10 cards are rare (Chrome Mox and Dark Depths, costless cards Ancestral Vision and Hypergenesis, Blazing Shoal, Glimpse of Nature and Golgari Grave-Troll, Green Sun's Zenith, Bitterblossom [only enchantment on the list], and Stoneforge Mystic);
and, of course, 1 mythic rare (Jace, the Mind Sculptor).

The distribution of these cards tells me that the concerned cards do not fall into particular rarities, but that a lot of them are cheap, effective, and accessible enablers and filters, but not necessarily cards that do anything. The most expensive card to drop, in terms of mana, is Jace, while all others can essentially come down for 2, 1 or even 0. This suggests that enablers, to be effective, must be costed very cheap, but that this leads to their abusiveness. It should be considered that when cards work really well with other cards, they are typically very, very cheap and can be found to slide under the radar, implying that designers and developers, in the future, should be wary of such cards that do these things, ARE card advantage, or revise card quality.

Otherwise, this list will continue to grow until the next problem card arises, and it will likely pick up a card printed even before Zendikar. You may find yourselves realizing that every banning causes another monster to rise, and that there may never be a "healthy format" when such a giant card pool is present without shooting yourselves in the foot.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments