Lack of Egress Powers?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been looking through powers/items and it seems that 4e doesn't really have any quick egress methods in case a fight becomes too difficult.  Any suggestions?
Are we talking about retreat?  Advancing to the rear?  Tactical withdrawal?

As far as I know, besides Expeditious Retreat, the best thing is just to double move and hope you're faster than the monsters.

Or set up a zone or wall in a hallway that wounded monsters and minions won't want to go through.

That kind of thing.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Escaping from an encounter altogether could be done as an skill challenge.    The Urban Chase example on pg78 of the DMG is a good example you could adapt and modify.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I'm referring to something similar to a good old fashioned 3.5 group teleport to get to safety.
Ring of retreat (L17 item)
Mordenkainen's mansion (wizard utility)
Another wizard power that can form a portal and allies can hop through in subsequent round (From PHB1) - forget the name.

Search retreat in the Compendium and you'll find a couple.

I think that the philosophical position when designing the game was to avoid powers that can bypass encounters.  This has the effect of shifting the teleport powers to rituals so that they can't be used to avoid the minions and head straight to the boss, or skip the trap without thinking.

It works to avoid breaking the game!  It also makes escaping harder.... 
D&D - It will never be cool. Nor will I. I am still loved by most of the people I know well. So is D&D.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Nothing quite that easy, though at epic tier you can pull that off. heroic and paragon, not so much. OTOH a 'fighting withdrawal' is a much more viable concept in 4e where you're likely to be able to take a couple hits and stay up even if you're overmatched. The other consideration being casting spells/using powers in adverse situations is considerably easier than it would usually be in say AD&D particularly. So it is a viable concept to say for instance go invisible or use other 'milder' effects to extricate from a bad situation. Quite a few items can help you out there too.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Succor: "Permanent until discharged... standard action... the creature and up to eight willing creatures within its line of sight teleport to the holy site to which the focus was attuned" ('so long, succor' ; )

Exodus knife: "standard action... it opens a portal into an empty extradimensional space... Only creatures inside the space can open or close the door... Creatures on one side of the closed door cannot affect creatures on the other side" (once inside, just cast Astral Sojourn or Elemental Transference).
Succor: "Permanent until discharged... standard action... the creature and up to eight willing creatures within its line of sight teleport to the holy site to which the focus was attuned" ('so long, succor' ; )

Exodus knife: "standard action... it opens a portal into an empty extradimensional space... Only creatures inside the space can open or close the door... Creatures on one side of the closed door cannot affect creatures on the other side" (once inside, just cast Astral Sojourn or Elemental Transference).

Astral Sojourn and Elemental Transference won't work from an 'extradimensional space' at least IMHO. You CAN hide out with a knife, but not strictly get away (though I think clever enough players with the right equipment probably CAN manage it at higher levels). Succor is level 20, so basically Epic. Anyway, there is a large enough amount of stuff out there these days that someone can find a way to do it probably somewhere in low-mid paragon under the right circumstances. Elemental Transference would certainly work at level 12 IF you had a more ordinary type of place to hole up. It is just situational. Using a scroll the casting time is 30 minutes. Not FAST but often doable.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
 Unearthed Arcana: Fight or Flight

Damn you for getting to it before me.

Show
Not really.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
The Planeshifter paragon path (from the oft-forgotten Manual of the Planes, also home to the Bladeling, 4E's least supported PC race) has one of the best "we're out of here" tricks in the game as level 12 encounter utility, but it's costly in terms of surges and requires you to know the address of at least one teleport circle on your current plane.  It also requires someone to actually be a Planeshifter, a path that's rather disappointing otherwise. 

Succor is more expensive, but generally an even better choice if you can access it.  And it doesn't require having a Planeshifter in the party.
There are a lot of powers that could get you out of an encounter, but most times players have already used them to get in to the encounter. Shifts, teleports, etc.
We never really used it to escape, but we did get an Exodus Knife during a Heroic campaign that we'd use to avoid paying inn fees and take rests whenever. We did hit a snag once when we used it to hide, but one of our team bulndered a stealth check and they saw us go in, so they just camped outside until it wore off. Almost got us crushed when we tried to trick a large enemy into falling in with us to take it out first.....except it slipped my mind that a Exodus Knife room is 2x2....yeah...we got captured.

SO yeah, if you get an Exodus Knife, careful where you use it.
Oh man I was looking for that Unearthed Arcana.

But, yeah, I model retreat generally as a skill challenge, with the level being based on the average level of the pursuing monsters (+/- a modifier based on their average base speed), and the complexity being a result of the number of pursuers.

What that's done is given me pretty clear focus on just what are the proper ways to disengage a fight in 4e - most specifically, the Slowed condition. It's basically useless in a fight you expect to slug out to the bitter end, but reducing an enemy's move speed to 2 is an absolute boon if you want to run away. Not only because it makes them slower but because so many powers have the Slowed condition (and it's so useless otherwise...)   
Ring of Retreat.

Ring of Dimensional Escape.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sign In to post comments