Blasphemous Act and Targetting

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just trying to figure out if Blasphemous Act targets creatures or not. Specifically, can it hit cards with hexproof like Lumberknot?

I know it doesn't use the word target, but Blasphemous Act is the card sending the damage at a "target"creature. This has been the subject of debate among friends and some members of the forum, so please cite a rule to help me understand how the card should work.

Thanks!

As you said, it doesn't have the word "target" on it.  Therefore it doesn't target.  Something only targets if it uses the word "target", is an Aura spell on the stack, or the rules for a keyword say so (such as Equip).

114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn‘t make that
object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the
word "target" in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it‘s not a
target.

DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
Like Argus Panoptes once said, there 7 ways to know if something targets:

Show
1. It's an Aura you just cast

Show
2. T

Show
3. A

Show
4. R

Show
5. G

Show
6. E

Show
7. T

Okay, and some keywords, like equip, but these are minor things.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest

I know it doesn't use the word target, but Blasphemous Act is the card sending the damage at a "target"creature. This has been the subject of debate among friends and some members of the forum, so please cite a rule to help me understand how the card should work.

Thanks!

702.11b ―Hexproof on a permanent means ―This permanent can‘t be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.

The spell does not target the creature so therefore it deals the damage, but hexproof does not prevent damage. if the creature had protection from red it would survive. The hexproof creature is pretty much a camouflaged creature, you can't find him, so just drop a bomb and blow everything up, right? 

You were correct in the assumption that the hexproof creature died.
Sweet. Thanks for the quick response folks