current deathtouch & combat damage rules

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
When M2010 came out WotC wrote this article that had a summary of the new rules:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

It contained this part about deathtouch & combat damage:

Second, deathtouch allows a double-blocked creature to ignore the new damage assignment rules and split its damage among any number of creatures it's in combat with however its controller wants to.

I seem to remember that they made some sort of change to this. Is this still the current rule?

If it is the current rule, then if I have a 5/1 with deathtouch attacking and it's blocked by 5 8/8's (Quilled Slagwurm, etc.) I would be able to assign 1 damage to each of the 8/8's and kill them all?

Thanks!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

In most cases, it's functionally the same, but in some corner cases, such as when the attacking creature has both Deathtouch and Trample, there can be a difference.

Now, instead of simply ignoring the normal damage assignment rules, Deathtouch creatures follow the rules like everything else, except that when assigning damage, 1 damage is considered lethal. As I said, this is normally the same as under the M10 rules, but if the attacking creature also has Trample, then it potentially allows the attacker to assign additional damage to the defending player or planeswalker.

I think this was changed under the M11 rules, but I could be wrong about that.

In your example, yes, it could assign 1 damage to each defending creature and kill them all. 
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.

I think this was changed under the M11 rules, but I could be wrong about that.

Yes, that was one of the M11 changes.  There was an article about it.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Thanks!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2