New Weapon

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stats we use for a bolas used by a Yeti in our game. Thought I would share.

Bolas

ACC: +4 (DEX/INT)

DMG: 1d4 + (2 x LEVEL)
RANGE: (2 + 1/2 STR bonus) squares

AND

HIT = Damage AND Reflex save VS hard DC. Failure means target "restrained" ( see page 85 ) until:

A) bolas broken: Hard STR save or cut with a blade

OR

B) untangled: Moderate REF save ends

You know 4E got rid of reflex saves yeah?

The way that would work in 4E would be you target bot AC and reflex defenses, and you do your damage off the AC and the 'restrained' if you hit reflex.

Also, restrained is one of the best status's in the game, and the normal bola's in 4e only knock prone, and then immoblized at best.

But cool idea for a weapon, just a bit...  Odd in 4E I guess? ;) 
Gamma World is based on 4e, Save Throws do not exist, so these bolas can't work... And restrained is a bit too harsh, maybe slowed is more balanced. Maybe imobilized for a turn and then slowed no matter what?
"And restrained is a bit too harsh, maybe slowed is more balanced. Maybe imobilized for a turn and then slowed no matter what?"

Slowed implies they could still move, if tangled with a bolas you cant. Yes, I know from personal experience. I didnt see imobilized in the rules ...will scan over em again and see if it fits better than restrained, but that seemed the most accurate fit, to how they really work, of the effects in the rules. Thanks for the tip though.
You might be playing an older edition, which I am sorry for assuming that since you are posting in the current edition forum that that is indeed what you were playing, but if you are going to write about and argue about rules interpretations, of a different edition, you should say so.

So yeah, in 7th edition Gamma World, which uses the 4th ed. D&D system, there are no saving throws, and restrained in one of the best conditions to inflict on an enemy, and is thus very, very rare, and should not be available at will.  That is why it was taken from the executioner.

And if you want your target to not move, he is immobilized, not restrained.  Immobilized means he cant move from his spot.  Restrained means he physically cannot move at all, IE tied up hands and feet with a rope, and cannot defend himself.  (Which means it also inflicts the helpless condition, letting you CDG at will.  Which would be broken.)
I sort think role playing is not defined by the game but by the players. I have been in very intense role playing sessions in 4e where we did not even have a combat, spent the entire session with out one power use. The system does not define it...the players and the GM do. So I do not think it matters what the system is as long as the group is focused on role playing....unless you mean roll-play. Then I would agree 3.5 mas a much more configurable and Min/Max game then 4.0.

Either way Gamma is all about the world....the rules are just used to help define situations with in it!
wow!!! Sorry to see you are all worked up....but I sort think role playing is not defined by the game but by the players. I have been in very intense role playing sessions in 4e where we did not even have a combat, spent the entire session with out one power use. The system does not define it...the players and the GM do. So I do not think it matters what the system is as long as the group is focused on role playing....unless you mean roll-play. Then I would agree 3.5 mas a much more configurable and Min/Max game then 4.0.

lol either way Gamma is all about the world....the rules are just used to help define situations with in it!  

The system is important and it can really improve the enjoyment of the game (i don't use the term "roleplay", is too vague\abused...).
But a system can't prevent the roleplay aspect altogether, definetely not 4e D&D.

I’ve removed content from this thread because personal attacks and trolling/baiting are a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

agreed the system needs to match the group if you are a rule based tacticle oreinted group.  Great games like "All Flesh must be eaten" ( zombies!!!) do not even use maps or minatures and are most definitly roleplaying games. i understand people like both sides of the game...and the term role playing game is used pretty broadly.

lol not sure what my point!!! i guess both sides are important and the system needs to fit your group and everyone has a different point of view......
You know 4E got rid of reflex saves yeah?

The way that would work in 4E would be you target bot AC and reflex defenses, and you do your damage off the AC and the 'restrained' if you hit reflex.

Also, restrained is one of the best status's in the game, and the normal bola's in 4e only knock prone, and then immoblized at best.

But cool idea for a weapon, just a bit...  Odd in 4E I guess? ;) 

Saves are still in the game as long as Ref Fort and Will are still in the rules. They mall call em something else, and work the math from the other direction, but they are still saves.
Gamma World is based on 4e, Save Throws do not exist, so these bolas can't work... And restrained is a bit too harsh, maybe slowed is more balanced. Maybe imobilized for a turn and then slowed no matter what?

odd how the weapon works fine in spite of you thinking it cant...
You might be playing an older edition, which I am sorry for assuming that since you are posting in the current edition forum that that is indeed what you were playing, but if you are going to write about and argue about rules interpretations, of a different edition, you should say so.

So yeah, in 7th edition Gamma World, which uses the 4th ed. D&D system, there are no saving throws, and restrained in one of the best conditions to inflict on an enemy, and is thus very, very rare, and should not be available at will.  That is why it was taken from the executioner.

And if you want your target to not move, he is immobilized, not restrained.  Immobilized means he cant move from his spot.  Restrained means he physically cannot move at all, IE tied up hands and feet with a rope, and cannot defend himself.  (Which means it also inflicts the helpless condition, letting you CDG at will.  Which would be broken.)

Nope I am talking about the right game.

Actualy gamma world uses the gamma world system which has 4th edition similarities, and has saves. Right in the rules even.

Based on your descriptions, restrained is exactly how a bolas works so seems is the right choice.
Looks fine to me.
If by looks fine you mean he has a level 10 Rogue Daily as an at-will power, then yeah, it's fine, completely broken, but fine.  ;)
For the sake of game balance I would suggest making it a light one handed ranged weapon. But use it to attack reflex instead of AC so no accuracy bonus. Step the damage down several dice (maybe no damage) and apply the effect you find most appropriate and have it last until saved against. in the end if your players are having fun, don't sweat the small stuff.

In my game one of the players has a taser. We statted it as being a light 1h vs reflex. No damage and causes dazed save ends. It uses a power cell (Follows ammo rules but different name and for powered devices).

He has been having fun with it and basically locked down a boss for three rounds while the party mopped up everything else.
By fine, I mean it looks good.  I do not care for what level.  If they want to use it at first, awesome!  At tenth, awesome!  "Game Balance" does not have to be a design goal.

If by looks fine you mean he has a level 10 Rogue Daily as an at-will power, then yeah, it's fine, completely broken, but fine.  ;)

*points to the GAMMA WORLD section of thr forum tree*
  I am unsure what it is with you 4th edition fanatics. There are NO rogues in gamma world (Since its GAMMA WORLD and NOT that 4th edition D&D...thing), so I cant be using a rogue power/skill/feature.
  Its also not really at will. I cant use it in HtH combat & it has limited range. Its a very situational AND although I carry two, they get broken a lot and can only be remade when doing the "long/extended rest" thing.
People that gripe about balance do so because they dont get that a DM ... IS ...the balance in a role playing game. If your game isnt balanced, talk to him.