exile and return to play

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please help!!  We have called wizards on this one twice, and then gone to fnm twice and keep getting different answers...it's kind of frustrating. 

Wizards stated that when a creature is exiled, and is returned to play, it is NOT sick, as the creature has already been casted, therefore it is returned to play able to attack.

We have had a rules advisor tell us this is not so.  He said they are sick when returned to the battlefield from exile. 

I have a tendency to go with Wizards on this one, as regenerate poses an interesting parallel to this very question...when a creature is regenerated, it must re-enter the battlefield tapped...if it were sick after it's return, then why on earth would there be a necessity to tap the creature??  I state again that I agree with Wizard's on this question...but...if anyone out there knows where there is a specific rule that references this, please, please, tell me where to find it!!  Because O-Ring is such a popular card in standard, this is very important to game play.  HEEEELLLPPPP????
Summoning sickness's name is misleading, it has nothing to do with summoning.

A creature can only attack or use abilities that require tapping if you've controlled it continuously since the beginning of your most recent turn.

Depending on when the creature was returned to exile, it may or may not have "summoning sickness".

* This is why Threaten gives the creature haste. Because if it didn't, the creature would not be able to attack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regeneration doesn't return the creature from anywhere. Regenration replaces destruction with something else. Namely tapping the creature, removing all damage from it, removing it from combat.
… and then, the squirrels came.
I'll let smart people answer the exile part, but i believe the game sees it as a new object that you have not controlled since the beginning of your turn and therefore it is summoning sick. As for regeneration, regeneraed creatures dont actually leave the battlefield, so summonimg sickness isnt relevant.
Thank you...I appreciate the help there.  So, in exile, isn't my creature still technically under my control?  Or if I am understanding you, the time for me to return my creature to the field of play is on my opponent's turn, thereby giving it all attack and tapping abilities after the start of my turn?
Cards in exile do not have a controller.

Yes, if a creature of your is returned from exile (or enters the battlefield at all) during your opponents turn, it will Not be sick during your turn, becuase you have controlled it since the begining of your turn.
MTG Rules Advisor

Thank you...I appreciate the help there.  So, in exile, isn't my creature still technically under my control?  Or if I am understanding you, the time for me to return my creature to the field of play is on my opponent's turn, thereby giving it all attack and tapping abilities after the start of my turn?

The only cards under your control are permaennts you control and spells on the stack. Cards in your hand, library, and graveyard have no controller. You do own them though.

But yes, you are correct. If the creature returns during your opponent's turn, then it can attack and tap during your turn. This is why both people (the rules advisor and person from Wizard) could have been correct, they were just answerering the question from two different vantage points.

* This is also why Flash creatures tend to be very good because you can cast them at the end of your opponent's turn.

… and then, the squirrels came.
Thank you all so much!!  I get it now!  So simply play an instant like Demystify at the end of my opponent's turn, thereby returning my creature, Untap, Upkeep, Draw, and attack!!!!!