casting an enchantment and responding with a removal spell

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
can someone help me please? i am still not sure what happens to this scenario.
My opponent has 1 creature in play and i too have a creature in play. My opponent casts an oblivion ring targetting my creature, in response, i destroy my creature with a doom blade, does the ring have to find a legal target hence targetting his creature or once he tagetted my creature that is already destroyed by the time the oring comes into play that the oring justs stays in the battlefield even without a legal target?

thanks
can someone help me please? i am still not sure what happens to this scenario.
My opponent has 1 creature in play and i too have a creature in play. My opponent casts an oblivion ring targetting my creature, in response, i destroy my creature with a doom blade, does the ring have to find a legal target hence targetting his creature or once he tagetted my creature that is already destroyed by the time the oring comes into play that the oring justs stays in the battlefield even without a legal target?

thanks

The target for the Oblivion Ring's ability is chosen when the Ring enters the battlefield.  If you destroy your creature before the Ring enters, that creature cannot be targeted and your opponent will need to choose a different target.  If you wait until the Ring enters and your creature is chosen as a target, destroying that creature will make the Ring's ability fizzle -- your opponent won't be forced to select a new target.

The Ring will stay on the battlefield in either case.

Alright let's clear this up little by little :D

First of all, Oblivion Ring does not target as a spell, as it's not an Aura. So this situation can be potentially slightly different from casting a targeted spell. Anyways...

If your opponent casts O-Ring, you can in fact respond to it by casting instants or activating abilities. This means you can destroy your own nonblack creature with a Doom Blade. When O-Ring enters the battlefield, your opponent must then choose a legal nonland permanent to exile.

If you let the Ring resolve, and destroy your creature in response to its targeted Triggered Ability, then the O-Ring will just sit there not exiling anything because its target was destroyed (and the ABILITY, NOT the O-ring itself, will be countered by the game rules) and will work nicely as a coaster

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

When your opponent casts Oblivion Ring, there is no targetting involved.  When Oblivion Ring enters the battlefield, its first ability is triggered and it is at this time when your opponent can target your creature.  If you kill your creature after Oblivion Ring has entered the battlefield and your opponent has targetted your creature with Oblivion Ring's first ability, then the ability will fail and do nothing.  If you kill your creature after your opponent cast Oblivion Ring but before letting it resolve and enter the battlefield, then, when Oblivion Ring does resolve, its first ability will trigger and your opponent will be forced to target his own creature.
thanks for your replies:

would this rule apply to angelic destiny as well? if my opponent casts the angelic and in response i kill his only creature in play. Is the angelic forced to find a legal target? what if there are no other creatures in play, does it still stay in the battlefield?

thanks again
thanks for your replies:

would this rule apply to angelic destiny as well? if my opponent casts the angelic and in response i kill his only creature in play. Is the angelic forced to find a legal target? what if there are no other creatures in play, does it still stay in the battlefield?

thanks again

Angelic Destiny is an Aura, and thus targets a creature when it is cast.  If its target is removed before it resolves, it will be countered for lack of target and to go the graveyard.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
To clarify Salla's answer, when your opponent casts Angelic Destiny, he must pick a target at that time. In response, you might remove the creature he targeted. If the chosen creature isn't on the battlefield when Angelic Destiny resolves, it will be countered because its only target is illegal; it doesn't matter if he has other creatures. He can't change the target of his spell without something like Redirect.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Sign In to post comments