Some Genesis Wave and Warp World flips, then some Planeswalker rules

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I'm pretty sure I have worked out the following situations correctly.  I'd just like to have someone look over them to confirm.

Genesis Wave or Warp World flipping over a bunch of ally creatures:
They all enter the battlefield at the same time, and they all "see" eachother enter the battlefield, so each ally triggers for itself and for each other ally that entered.

Warp World flipping over a bunch of M10 dual lands along with a bunch of basic lands:
As everything enters at the same time, the ability on the M10 duals sees that there are no other lands on the battlefield as they enter the battlefield, so these lands will enter the battlefield tapped.

Warp World flipping over a bunch of Scars of Mirrodin dual lands along with a bunch of other lands:
As everything enters at the same time, the ability on the Scars of Mirrodin duals sees that there are no other lands on the battlefield as they enter the battlefield, so these lands will enter the battlefield untapped.

Warp World flipping over Hellkite Charger and Bear Umbra:
As Warp World instructs you to put enchantments onto the battlefield after putting creatures onto the battlefield, you will be able to enchant the Hellkite Charger with the aura.

Genesis Wave flipping over Hellkite Charger and Bear Umbra:
As all permanents are put onto the battlefield at the same time with Genesis Wave, there is no opportunity to put the aura on any creatures flipped over with Genesis Wave.

Warp World flipping over a bunch of creatures and Leyline of Vitality:
As enchantments are put onto the battlefield after creatures are put onto the battlefield, the Leyline will not trigger from the creatures entering the battlefield and no life will be gained off the Leyline.

Genesis Wave flipping over a bunch of creatures and Leyline of Vitality:
All permanents are put onto the battlefield at the same time and will see eachother enter the battlefield, so life will be gained off of the Leyline.

Genesis Wave flipping over a bunch of Planeswalkers and Doubling Season:
Planeswalkers are treated as having the ability "This permanent enters the battlefield with a number of loyalty counters on it equal to its printed loyalty number."  As these permanents are put onto the battlefield at the same time, that ability will have determined the number of loyalty counters the planeswalkers enter the battlefield with before Doubling Season would have the chance to double that number.  End result is that the Planeswalkers ETB with their normal loyalty.

Activating a loyalty ability of a Planeswalker that has a positive loyalty cost with Doubling Season in play:
Adding loyalty counters to activate a loyalty ability is a cost, not an effect, so the counters added will not be doubled.

Giving a Quicksilver Elemental the activated abilities of a Planeswalker:
A while ago, this used to allow you to use those activated abilities infinitely as the only-one-per-turn nature of those abilities was related to the Planeswalker card type rather than the nature of the ability.  At some point more recently, I see that special rules have been added to the comprehensive rulebook under "606. Loyalty Abilities" that change this.  Specifically, "606.3. A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if no player has previously activated a loyalty ability of that permanent that turn."  So Quicksilver Elemental can no longer go crazy with a Planeswaker's abilities.
That all looks correct.
These are all correct.  The only one I'm fuzzy on is the Wave and the Doubling Season, but I think you have it right.

Why is this possible to begin with? A Planeswalker is not a creature (unless you make it one)

These are all correct.  The only one I'm fuzzy on is the Wave and the Doubling Season, but I think you have it right.

I think they don't interact because Doubling Season is a static ability, so it has to already be on the battlefield prior to the Planeswalkers in order to double their counters.
Cannot be relied upon^
Giving a Quicksilver Elemental  the activated abilities of a Planeswalker:

Why is this possible to begin with? A Planeswalker is not a creature (unless you make it one)

A number of ways, including Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines or Enchanted Evening and Opalescence.

L1 Judge

There are several ways to do it.  You mentioned one, but there's also Mycosynth Lattice + March of the Machines, or Enchanted Evening + Opalescence.
I think they don't interact because Doubling Season is a static ability, so it has to already be on the battlefield prior to the Planeswalkers in order to double their counters.

In particular, there's this rule:
614.4. Replacement effects must exist before the appropriate event occurs -- they can't "go back in time" and change something that's already happened. Spells or abilities that generate these effects are often cast or activated in response to whatever would produce the event and thus resolve before that event would occur.

Thanks a bunch, everyone!

Sorry for not going into detail on how I would give Quicksilver Elemental abilities of a Planeswalker, but the ones Wahooney and cyphern listed are the ways I first discovered.  To avoid wiping the board of all lands, I might choose to run Liquimetal Coating and Karn, Silver Golem instead.

Thanks for quoting rule 614.4, cyphern, it helps a lot.